Do non-Steam save files work for the Steam version??

#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I own the game on a disc and I think this copy is damaged because the game has been crashing and acting weird, though i fixed the ram and formatted the PC 
 So i wanna buy the 6 dollar Steam version, but if my non-steam save files can't be used in Steam, i think i'll pass on the purchase 

Does Steam support the same save files from a non-steam hard copy or not ?

#2 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

@Ahmad_Metallic: I think so. save files are saved in the 'oblivion' folder inside 'my documents' not the steam folder.

#3 Posted by Chrisbbq (45 posts) -

Yes, they'll work.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@defaulttag said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: I think so. save files are saved in the 'oblivion' folder inside 'my documents' not the steam folder.

@Chrisbbq said:
Yes, they'll work.
 You guys are sure right? thanks btw. 

Also, do Steam "respect" all non-Steam games' saves locations like Oblivion (be it My Documents or Local or Roaming in Appdata), or not all games? does it use the Steam folder to store the saves of steam-only games ONLY?
#5 Posted by AlexW00d (6281 posts) -

@Ahmad_Metallic: All of my Oblivion saves are in My Documents. I am pretty sure you'll be fine. If not start again and have a couple hundred hours of fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.