Does anyone else think Fallout is better than Oblivion?

• 60 results
#1 Posted by LordAssinhiemr (195 posts) -

I have both and I just can't get into Oblivion. Whenever I play it, I want that sword to be a Hunting Rifle and that castle to be a crumbled pile rocks. I'm not knocking Oblivion because the game is impressive. I just feel Fallout is much more fun. 

Maybe spend more time with it?

#2 Posted by buft (3305 posts) -

nah i love me some swords and sorcery, from a technical standpoint though fallout is better than oblivion but it looks like skyrim will blow them both out of the water.

#3 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Nope. It feels like there's more to do with the Elder Scrolls series compared to Fallout.

#4 Posted by Bollard (5296 posts) -

Aaaaaabsolutely not.

#5 Posted by Dynamo22 (70 posts) -

I would agree with you pre-Skyrim. Just because I'm a huge Fallout fan. But, Skyrim looks like it will just decimate Fallout on every single level. 

#6 Posted by KittenMitten (111 posts) -

Did you play Fallout 3 first? I can definitely see it being hard following that progression in reverse. In the end they are very different games, if you can't get into Oblivion after five or six hours, then I doubt you'll find that changing. I think most people fall in love the moment they step out of the sewers.

#7 Edited by LordAssinhiemr (195 posts) -

Ye @KittenMitten said:

" Did you play Fallout 3 first? I can definitely see it being hard following that progression in reverse. In the end they are very different games, if you can't get into Oblivion after five or six hours, then I doubt you'll find that changing. I think most people fall in love the moment they step out of the sewers. "

Yeah, I played Fallout 3 first.

Maybe I'm just a post-nuclear radiation-bullet guy rather than a medieval sword-swinging shield guy. Although I love Demon's Souls.
#8 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

I love the whole Medieval setting more then Fallouts Post-Apocalyptic story.  Oblivion is full of magic, crazy lore and different races that make the story so much deeper. I also find it more satisfying to launch a fireball at an enemy and then hack them to pieces.   

#9 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

Fallout 3 has better game mechanics but I enjoy the world of Oblivion more.  Really, Fallout 3 is too bleak for "fun" adventuring. 

#10 Posted by Marcsman (3125 posts) -

I like the Fallout franchise ( yes even you FO:NV you piece of shit) better than Oblivion
#11 Posted by Pie (7058 posts) -

I think that you had to of played it when it came out to really enjoy it. Stepping out of the sewer just won't be as much as an experience as back then

#12 Posted by groin (838 posts) -

I  do not like that high fantasy stuff so I feel the same way. I played Oblivion but I enjoyed Fallout 3+ so much more. I will likely not play Skyrim.

#13 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Guns > Swords

Nukes > Magic

Mutants > Elves

Having more than 3 voice actors = priceless

#14 Posted by ScoreSetter (76 posts) -

All of a sudden I want to play Fallout 2 more than either...
#15 Posted by chilibean_3 (1625 posts) -

I like guns more than swords and Fallout's setting is more interesting than Oblivion's but that's just me.  They're both pretty great.

#16 Posted by LordAssinhiemr (195 posts) -

I gotta say, blowing up Megaton was 10 times more thrilling than anything I have ever done in gaming.

#17 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I played Oblivion first, but still liked Fallout 3 better. Maybe I just love sci-fi more.

#18 Posted by LordAssinhiemr (195 posts) -

Also, does Oblivion have this?

That's what I thought. :)
#19 Posted by captain_clayman (3319 posts) -

i like fallout more than oblivion as of now, but man...skyrim....

#20 Posted by LordAssinhiemr (195 posts) -

Skyrim looks awesome, that's for sure.

#21 Edited by Brodehouse (9640 posts) -

I like Fallout, but I like Obsidian working on Fallout and Bethesda working on Elder Scrolls.  Fallout is about complex moral choices and the political ramifications of many different points of view clashing against one another.  Being good in Fallout is a matter of opinion, peacemaking and compromise between diametrical opposed viewpoints.  Obsidian is capable of writing that, but Bethesda is only capable of writing monsters who want to destroy the universe, and designing unbelievably vast caves and castles.  Fallout should not be about dungeon crawling, it should be about making choices.  Elder Scrolls is about dungeon crawling and magic, Bethesda should focus on making that.  So Bethesda should buy Obsidian and make them the full time Fallout guys.

#22 Posted by Alcamin (151 posts) -

Personally, I have always preferred Oblivion, having played through both multiple times, but I can completely understand why some people, such as yourself, would preferred Fallout. From a gameplay perspective, they are similar in terms of their basic structure, but there are plenty of differences which would appeal to some more than others. As much as anything else, it's a question of atmosphere and location, let alone the gameplay choices. For me, I preferred forests and green rolling landscapes, magical or otherwise, rather than a dull radioactive wasteland (I don't mean dull in an insulting way, of course, but just as a description of the barren landscape), so I would enjoy spending more time in the Elder Scroll's world any day of the week over Fallout's. Like I said though, I can completely understand why you would choose Fallout. They are both great games, and worth anyone's time.

#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (36097 posts) -

A little bit, maybe. I had trouble getting into either one as an RPG, but for different reasons.

#24 Posted by LordAssinhiemr (195 posts) -
@Alcamin said:
" Personally, I have always preferred Oblivion, having played through both multiple times, but I can completely understand why some people, such as yourself, would preferred Fallout. From a gameplay perspective, they are similar in terms of their basic structure, but there are plenty of differences which would appeal to some more than others. As much as anything else, it's a question of atmosphere and location, let alone the gameplay choices. For me, I preferred forests and green rolling landscapes, magical or otherwise, rather than a dull radioactive wasteland (I don't mean dull in an insulting way, of course, but just as a description of the barren landscape), so I would enjoy spending more time in the Elder Scroll's world any day of the week over Fallout's. Like I said though, I can completely understand why you would choose Fallout. They are both great games, and worth anyone's time. "
Yeah, the first time I played Fallout 3, I'll never forget stepping out of the Vault. Pure awesomeness. The way they did that was genius.
#25 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Sure, Fallout 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time.

#26 Posted by armaan8014 (5336 posts) -
@JustinSane311 said:
" I love the whole Medieval setting more then Fallouts Post-Apocalyptic story.  Oblivion is full of magic, crazy lore and different races that make the story so much deeper. I also find it more satisfying to launch a fireball at an enemy and then hack them to pieces.    "
Haha me too. And nothing beats "Stop right there criminal scum!" And there are no mudcrabs in F3 either! :P
#27 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

nope, get out. Oblivion had....oblivion gates. kthx

#28 Posted by Alcamin (151 posts) -
@LordAssinhiemr said:
" @Alcamin said:
" Personally, I have always preferred Oblivion, having played through both multiple times, but I can completely understand why some people, such as yourself, would preferred Fallout. From a gameplay perspective, they are similar in terms of their basic structure, but there are plenty of differences which would appeal to some more than others. As much as anything else, it's a question of atmosphere and location, let alone the gameplay choices. For me, I preferred forests and green rolling landscapes, magical or otherwise, rather than a dull radioactive wasteland (I don't mean dull in an insulting way, of course, but just as a description of the barren landscape), so I would enjoy spending more time in the Elder Scroll's world any day of the week over Fallout's. Like I said though, I can completely understand why you would choose Fallout. They are both great games, and worth anyone's time. "
Yeah, the first time I played Fallout 3, I'll never forget stepping out of the Vault. Pure awesomeness. The way they did that was genius. "
Agreed, it was a memorable moment and effectively pulled off. Something similar happens in Oblivion too, now that I think about it, which was also nicely done and equally striking, but in a different way. Both were a good way of giving you your sense freedom after the linear, claustrophobic introductions. I hadn't really though about it before.
#29 Posted by bybeach (4732 posts) -

What the OP says, though I realized that it might be preferance on my part on setting. I do not feel interested in fantasy magic, medieval, sword and bow type worlds. I like guns science and modern...and it is probably keeping me away from something that might be interesting if I try it once. 

I'm considering Skyrim...
#30 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" Nope. It feels like there's more to do with the Elder Scrolls series compared to Fallout. "
That's not always a good thing...
#31 Edited by LordAssinhiemr (195 posts) -
@spankingaddict said:

" @ch13696 said:

" Nope. It feels like there's more to do with the Elder Scrolls series compared to Fallout. "

That's not always a good thing... "
I was going to say...with all of the shit to do in Fallout, Oblivion must be an absolute grind for completion.
#32 Posted by LordAssinhiemr (195 posts) -
@Alcamin said:
" @LordAssinhiemr said:
" @Alcamin said:
Yeah, the first time I played Fallout 3, I'll never forget stepping out of the Vault. Pure awesomeness. The way they did that was genius. "
Agreed, it was a memorable moment and effectively pulled off. Something similar happens in Oblivion too, now that I think about it, which was also nicely done and equally striking, but in a different way. Both were a good way of giving you your sense freedom after the linear, claustrophobic introductions. I hadn't really though about it before. "
Sometimes it's the little touches that make a game so memorable.
#33 Posted by gabha (354 posts) -

Should've aded a poll there.

I like Oblivion alot more, since I prefer a fantasy setting to a post apocalyptic one these days.

#34 Edited by Carestrike (64 posts) -

I'm not a great fan of Tolkien fantasy, so... Fallout. 

And by not a great fan I mean I despise it.

#35 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Nope. I couldn't bring myself to finish New Vegas, and I thought Fallout 3 was meh. On the other hand Oblivion was basically my favorite game from this generation.

#36 Edited by Turambar (6677 posts) -

I got into both, and spent alot of time with both.  Fallout 3 is still better despite my preference for fantasy over post apocalypse.

#37 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

New Vegas is better than Oblivion
Oblivion is better than Fallout 3
Morrowind is better than all of them

#38 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

I feel the same way. I felt like Oblivion needed to be a little more streamlined after the tutorial.

#39 Posted by Mikemcn (6959 posts) -

I haven't played Elder Scrolls yet, but im excited for Skyrim, however I can't imagine it can beat Fallout's atmosphere. 

#40 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

I agree. I played 200 hours of Fallout 3, but I can't get that into Oblivion. I want to love Skyrim, but I hope I at least like it.

#41 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Fallout, nothing beats the post apocalyptic experience!
And how can you compare Skyrim to Fallout 3?
Its 3 years apart and different game engines, lets wait for Fallout 4 and then we'll talk

#42 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

Fallout 3.

#43 Posted by Sargus (723 posts) -

I like Fantasy over Sci-Fi, so I prefer Oblivion... But Fallout is pretty fantastic.

#44 Posted by mordukai (7141 posts) -
@Dynamo22 said:
" I would agree with you pre-Skyrim. Just because I'm a huge Fallout fan. But, Skyrim looks like it will just decimate Fallout on every single level.  "
Ironic. I would think Fallout got decimated enough.  ;) 

@LordAssinhiemr said:
" Also, does Oblivion have this?

That's what I thought. :) "

Did Fallout 3 had the Dark Brotherhood quest?  
#45 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I would have loved Oblivion had the combat been a little less tedious.  I have tried playing it 5 or so times, and I always just make a character, do the excellent Dark Brotherhood quest line, do some other quests, then get way too bored of the combat.  Fallout 3 on the other hand I couldn't put down until I was done.

That said though, Skyrim is looking like it's shaping up to be awesome.

#46 Posted by chinakat (41 posts) -

I'm just like you, except it's the opposite for me. I love Oblivion to death, and I've never been able to get into Fallout. Maybe it depends on which you play first. I played Oblivion first, then Fallout.
#47 Posted by Entus (253 posts) -

Yes. Mods were what salvaged Oblivion for me. I couldn't play more than an hour without mods. And yet I was able to finish Fallout 3 mod-free.

#48 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

I repeatedly tried to get into Oblivion, both the PC and Xbox 360 version, but it just never clicked with me, I really didn't like the game. Fallout 3 on the other hand, I had a great time with.

#49 Posted by President_Barackbar (3439 posts) -

They're two completely different types of games. I like both series, but I could never say which is better.

#50 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

I'm probably completed biased because I played over 100 hours of fallout 3 while playing oblivion for like 3. But, yeah i like shooting things so fallout wins.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.