Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Does anyone else think Fallout is better than Oblivion?

• 60 results
    LordAssinhiemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LordAssinhiemr

I have both and I just can't get into Oblivion. Whenever I play it, I want that sword to be a Hunting Rifle and that castle to be a crumbled pile rocks. I'm not knocking Oblivion because the game is impressive. I just feel Fallout is much more fun. 

Maybe spend more time with it?

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

nah i love me some swords and sorcery, from a technical standpoint though fallout is better than oblivion but it looks like skyrim will blow them both out of the water.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ch13696

Nope. It feels like there's more to do with the Elder Scrolls series compared to Fallout.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Bollard

Aaaaaabsolutely not.

Dynamo22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dynamo22

I would agree with you pre-Skyrim. Just because I'm a huge Fallout fan. But, Skyrim looks like it will just decimate Fallout on every single level. 

KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By KittenMitten

Did you play Fallout 3 first? I can definitely see it being hard following that progression in reverse. In the end they are very different games, if you can't get into Oblivion after five or six hours, then I doubt you'll find that changing. I think most people fall in love the moment they step out of the sewers.

LordAssinhiemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordAssinhiemr

Ye @KittenMitten said:

" Did you play Fallout 3 first? I can definitely see it being hard following that progression in reverse. In the end they are very different games, if you can't get into Oblivion after five or six hours, then I doubt you'll find that changing. I think most people fall in love the moment they step out of the sewers. "

Yeah, I played Fallout 3 first.

Maybe I'm just a post-nuclear radiation-bullet guy rather than a medieval sword-swinging shield guy. Although I love Demon's Souls.
    JustinSane311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By JustinSane311

I love the whole Medieval setting more then Fallouts Post-Apocalyptic story.  Oblivion is full of magic, crazy lore and different races that make the story so much deeper. I also find it more satisfying to launch a fireball at an enemy and then hack them to pieces.   

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By penguindust

Fallout 3 has better game mechanics but I enjoy the world of Oblivion more.  Really, Fallout 3 is too bleak for "fun" adventuring. 

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marcsman

I like the Fallout franchise ( yes even you FO:NV you piece of shit) better than Oblivion
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Pie

I think that you had to of played it when it came out to really enjoy it. Stepping out of the sewer just won't be as much as an experience as back then

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By groin

I  do not like that high fantasy stuff so I feel the same way. I played Oblivion but I enjoyed Fallout 3+ so much more. I will likely not play Skyrim.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By nintendoeats

Guns > Swords

Nukes > Magic

Mutants > Elves

Having more than 3 voice actors = priceless

ScoreSetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By ScoreSetter

All of a sudden I want to play Fallout 2 more than either...
    chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By chilibean_3

I like guns more than swords and Fallout's setting is more interesting than Oblivion's but that's just me.  They're both pretty great.

LordAssinhiemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LordAssinhiemr

I gotta say, blowing up Megaton was 10 times more thrilling than anything I have ever done in gaming.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#17  Edited By KillyDarko

I played Oblivion first, but still liked Fallout 3 better. Maybe I just love sci-fi more.

LordAssinhiemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LordAssinhiemr

Also, does Oblivion have this?

That's what I thought. :)
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By captain_clayman

i like fallout more than oblivion as of now, but man...skyrim....

LordAssinhiemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LordAssinhiemr

Skyrim looks awesome, that's for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I like Fallout, but I like Obsidian working on Fallout and Bethesda working on Elder Scrolls.  Fallout is about complex moral choices and the political ramifications of many different points of view clashing against one another.  Being good in Fallout is a matter of opinion, peacemaking and compromise between diametrical opposed viewpoints.  Obsidian is capable of writing that, but Bethesda is only capable of writing monsters who want to destroy the universe, and designing unbelievably vast caves and castles.  Fallout should not be about dungeon crawling, it should be about making choices.  Elder Scrolls is about dungeon crawling and magic, Bethesda should focus on making that.  So Bethesda should buy Obsidian and make them the full time Fallout guys.

alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By alcamin

Personally, I have always preferred Oblivion, having played through both multiple times, but I can completely understand why some people, such as yourself, would preferred Fallout. From a gameplay perspective, they are similar in terms of their basic structure, but there are plenty of differences which would appeal to some more than others. As much as anything else, it's a question of atmosphere and location, let alone the gameplay choices. For me, I preferred forests and green rolling landscapes, magical or otherwise, rather than a dull radioactive wasteland (I don't mean dull in an insulting way, of course, but just as a description of the barren landscape), so I would enjoy spending more time in the Elder Scroll's world any day of the week over Fallout's. Like I said though, I can completely understand why you would choose Fallout. They are both great games, and worth anyone's time.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

A little bit, maybe. I had trouble getting into either one as an RPG, but for different reasons.

LordAssinhiemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LordAssinhiemr
    @Alcamin said:
    " Personally, I have always preferred Oblivion, having played through both multiple times, but I can completely understand why some people, such as yourself, would preferred Fallout. From a gameplay perspective, they are similar in terms of their basic structure, but there are plenty of differences which would appeal to some more than others. As much as anything else, it's a question of atmosphere and location, let alone the gameplay choices. For me, I preferred forests and green rolling landscapes, magical or otherwise, rather than a dull radioactive wasteland (I don't mean dull in an insulting way, of course, but just as a description of the barren landscape), so I would enjoy spending more time in the Elder Scroll's world any day of the week over Fallout's. Like I said though, I can completely understand why you would choose Fallout. They are both great games, and worth anyone's time. "
    Yeah, the first time I played Fallout 3, I'll never forget stepping out of the Vault. Pure awesomeness. The way they did that was genius.
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, Fallout 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By armaan8014
    @JustinSane311 said:
    " I love the whole Medieval setting more then Fallouts Post-Apocalyptic story.  Oblivion is full of magic, crazy lore and different races that make the story so much deeper. I also find it more satisfying to launch a fireball at an enemy and then hack them to pieces.    "
    Haha me too. And nothing beats "Stop right there criminal scum!" And there are no mudcrabs in F3 either! :P
    Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

nope, get out. Oblivion had....oblivion gates. kthx

alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By alcamin
    @LordAssinhiemr said:
    " @Alcamin said:
    " Personally, I have always preferred Oblivion, having played through both multiple times, but I can completely understand why some people, such as yourself, would preferred Fallout. From a gameplay perspective, they are similar in terms of their basic structure, but there are plenty of differences which would appeal to some more than others. As much as anything else, it's a question of atmosphere and location, let alone the gameplay choices. For me, I preferred forests and green rolling landscapes, magical or otherwise, rather than a dull radioactive wasteland (I don't mean dull in an insulting way, of course, but just as a description of the barren landscape), so I would enjoy spending more time in the Elder Scroll's world any day of the week over Fallout's. Like I said though, I can completely understand why you would choose Fallout. They are both great games, and worth anyone's time. "
    Yeah, the first time I played Fallout 3, I'll never forget stepping out of the Vault. Pure awesomeness. The way they did that was genius. "
    Agreed, it was a memorable moment and effectively pulled off. Something similar happens in Oblivion too, now that I think about it, which was also nicely done and equally striking, but in a different way. Both were a good way of giving you your sense freedom after the linear, claustrophobic introductions. I hadn't really though about it before.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bybeach

What the OP says, though I realized that it might be preferance on my part on setting. I do not feel interested in fantasy magic, medieval, sword and bow type worlds. I like guns science and modern...and it is probably keeping me away from something that might be interesting if I try it once. 

I'm considering Skyrim...
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By spankingaddict
    @ch13696 said:
    " Nope. It feels like there's more to do with the Elder Scrolls series compared to Fallout. "
    That's not always a good thing...
    LordAssinhiemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LordAssinhiemr
    @spankingaddict said:

" @ch13696 said:

" Nope. It feels like there's more to do with the Elder Scrolls series compared to Fallout. "

That's not always a good thing... "
    I was going to say...with all of the shit to do in Fallout, Oblivion must be an absolute grind for completion.
    LordAssinhiemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LordAssinhiemr
    @Alcamin said:
    " @LordAssinhiemr said:
    " @Alcamin said:
    Yeah, the first time I played Fallout 3, I'll never forget stepping out of the Vault. Pure awesomeness. The way they did that was genius. "
    Agreed, it was a memorable moment and effectively pulled off. Something similar happens in Oblivion too, now that I think about it, which was also nicely done and equally striking, but in a different way. Both were a good way of giving you your sense freedom after the linear, claustrophobic introductions. I hadn't really though about it before. "
    Sometimes it's the little touches that make a game so memorable.
    gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gabha

Should've aded a poll there.

I like Oblivion alot more, since I prefer a fantasy setting to a post apocalyptic one these days.

Carestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Carestrike

I'm not a great fan of Tolkien fantasy, so... Fallout. 

And by not a great fan I mean I despise it.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Nope. I couldn't bring myself to finish New Vegas, and I thought Fallout 3 was meh. On the other hand Oblivion was basically my favorite game from this generation.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Turambar

I got into both, and spent alot of time with both.  Fallout 3 is still better despite my preference for fantasy over post apocalypse.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By FancySoapsMan

New Vegas is better than Oblivion
    Oblivion is better than Fallout 3
    Morrowind is better than all of them

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#38  Edited By DonutFever

I feel the same way. I felt like Oblivion needed to be a little more streamlined after the tutorial.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By mikemcn

I haven't played Elder Scrolls yet, but im excited for Skyrim, however I can't imagine it can beat Fallout's atmosphere. 

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By benpack

I agree. I played 200 hours of Fallout 3, but I can't get that into Oblivion. I want to love Skyrim, but I hope I at least like it.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Fallout, nothing beats the post apocalyptic experience!
    And how can you compare Skyrim to Fallout 3?
    Its 3 years apart and different game engines, lets wait for Fallout 4 and then we'll talk

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gabriel

Fallout 3.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BrittonPeele

I like Fantasy over Sci-Fi, so I prefer Oblivion... But Fallout is pretty fantastic.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mordukai
    @Dynamo22 said:
    " I would agree with you pre-Skyrim. Just because I'm a huge Fallout fan. But, Skyrim looks like it will just decimate Fallout on every single level.  "
    Ironic. I would think Fallout got decimated enough.  ;) 

@LordAssinhiemr said:
    " Also, does Oblivion have this?

That's what I thought. :) "

Did Fallout 3 had the Dark Brotherhood quest?  
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have loved Oblivion had the combat been a little less tedious.  I have tried playing it 5 or so times, and I always just make a character, do the excellent Dark Brotherhood quest line, do some other quests, then get way too bored of the combat.  Fallout 3 on the other hand I couldn't put down until I was done.

That said though, Skyrim is looking like it's shaping up to be awesome.

chinakat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By chinakat

I'm just like you, except it's the opposite for me. I love Oblivion to death, and I've never been able to get into Fallout. Maybe it depends on which you play first. I played Oblivion first, then Fallout.
    Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Entus

Yes. Mods were what salvaged Oblivion for me. I couldn't play more than an hour without mods. And yet I was able to finish Fallout 3 mod-free.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I repeatedly tried to get into Oblivion, both the PC and Xbox 360 version, but it just never clicked with me, I really didn't like the game. Fallout 3 on the other hand, I had a great time with.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're two completely different types of games. I like both series, but I could never say which is better.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I'm probably completed biased because I played over 100 hours of fallout 3 while playing oblivion for like 3. But, yeah i like shooting things so fallout wins.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.