Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Does anyone NOT think this game is overrated?

• 119 results
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I know a lot of people that dislike Oblivion. I personally find it one of the more overrated games ever. Does anyone here think it deserves the praise it got? To give you an idea of its rating, it sits at #38 on the "highest scored games" on Gamerankings. That means it's better than Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, but not as good as Gears of War, I guess.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Shawn

I really loved Oblivion, had alot of fun with it, sure, now I feel sick if I look at the box because of all the hours I put into it.

So yeah, I don't think this game is overrated at all.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By lordofultima

It's pretty awesome, actually. It didn't have the impact that Morrowind did, but its execution was much better. I'd probably say it's better than both Chaos Theory AND Gears of War, but that's just me.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Wow . . . pwned.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Oblivion was fun. I probably put one or two hundred hours into it. But it wasn't as good as Morrowind, which despite all it's flaws, is an incredibly well designed world. Oblivion was just "another game" to me. After I beat it it wasn't fun any more. The setting was bland and generic. The combat was mind-numbingly easy. The NPC's were uninteresting and the dialog was extremely limited.

In fact, the dialog is probably the biggest flaw. People complained of hive mind NPC's in Morrowind, but the dialog system gave a lot of power to modders, and mods are half the game. In Oblivion, the dialog system is nothing but a hinderanc.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Milkman

I fucking love Oblivion. It still remains probably one of my favorite, if not my favorite, RPGs ever. There was just an infinite amount of things to do. The game had like 8 story modes in one game. You had the main story and then all the different guilds you could join also. I also thought it was 10 times better than Morrowind. A lot people may disagree with me on that one though.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Milkman
    Bellum said:
    "Oblivion was fun. I probably put one or two hundred hours into it. But it wasn't as good as Morrowind, which despite all it's flaws, is an incredibly well designed world. Oblivion was just "another game" to me. After I beat it it wasn't fun any more. The setting was bland and generic. The combat was mind-numbingly easy. The NPC's were uninteresting and the dialog was extremely limited.

In fact, the dialog is probably the biggest flaw. People complained of hive mind NPC's in Morrowind, but the dialog system gave a lot of power to modders, and mods are half the game. In Oblivion, the dialog system is nothing but a hinderanc."
    You put 100 - 200 hours into Oblivion and it was just "another game"? That doesn't sound right to me...
    OfficialJab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By OfficialJab
    Milkman said:
    "Bellum said:
    "Oblivion was fun. I probably put one or two hundred hours into it. But it wasn't as good as Morrowind, which despite all it's flaws, is an incredibly well designed world. Oblivion was just "another game" to me. After I beat it it wasn't fun any more. The setting was bland and generic. The combat was mind-numbingly easy. The NPC's were uninteresting and the dialog was extremely limited.

In fact, the dialog is probably the biggest flaw. People complained of hive mind NPC's in Morrowind, but the dialog system gave a lot of power to modders, and mods are half the game. In Oblivion, the dialog system is nothing but a hinderanc."
    You put 100 - 200 hours into Oblivion and it was just "another game"? That doesn't sound right to me..."
    Yeah something's amiss here  :P  The only thing I really disliked, was how the world was SO huge, but had almost nothing in it.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By pause422

I definitely liked Oblivion, just holding it side by side with Morrorwind it doesn't hold up too well imo. Definitely didn't like the way the leveling was handled, but since I had Oblivion on the Pc I quickly got some nice mods and made it better.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By lordofultima

Plus, Morrowind had all those sweet glitches that you could exploit! Truly the wild west of PC games.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Emilio

Oblivion is a good game, but at the same time its a shit game.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

Not overrated IMO

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Bulldog19892

I loved Oblivion. Unfortunately I'm a bit soured towards it because when my 360 died Best Buy decided to be assholes and refuse to let me keep my hard drive. So many hours of playing time lost. I had completed the main storyline, and almost all of the side quests.

I have absolutely no desire to ever pick it back up again, not because it's a bad game in any way, but because I just don't feel like going through everything over again.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oblivion bests Chaos Theory and Gears of War handily. 

Yes, it deserves the praise.  It's not the greatest game ever, but it is a very polished product. 

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Subway
    lordofultima said:
    "It's pretty awesome, actually. It didn't have the impact that Morrowind did, but its execution was much better. I'd probably say it's better than both Chaos Theory AND Gears of War, but that's just me."
    Chaos theory and Gears of War, kinda odd comparing a RPG to a Stealth Action and a Thrid Person Shooter wouldn't you say?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OfficialJab said:
    "Milkman said:
    "Bellum said:

You put 100 - 200 hours into Oblivion and it was just "another game"? That doesn't sound right to me..."
    Yeah something's amiss here  :P  The only thing I really disliked, was how the world was SO huge, but had almost nothing in it."
    Well there was a lot to do. There were, of course, a lot of quests, lots of Oblivion Gates. I didn't even finish it all. There's not denying there is a lot of content in Oblivion, and it's enjoyable enough for awhile, but I never felt really invested in the setting. Didn't really care about any of the characters, didn't care about the well being of Tamriel. I tried getting into raiding dungeons, forced myself to walk around for hours and hours, but they were all basically the same, there was no sense of exploration. I didn't ever feel like I'd seen anything that I hadn't seen a hundred times before. The only thing that got any emotional response at all were the rumors of destruction from Morrowind. Bastards destroyed one of my beloved cities!

There was a lot to do in Oblivion, but barring a handful of quests, it was all very bland. Completely devoid of personality. 
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Im still trying to understand how it got game of the year with loading , dialog, animation and repetitive problems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloom + Badly implemented havok = instant high scores

EDIT:
    Well it did in 2005, anyway. These days we're really hardcore. Not only do you need Bloom and Havok, you need Brown as well. Games just aren't real enough unless everything is Brown.

Hoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hoffer

I can not judge how overrated the game is.  I know quite a few people that played this game for 100-200 hours.  Due to this, I tried playing the game twice.  I hated the game.  I just couldn't understand why so many loved it.  That feeling carried over to Fallout 3.  I played it at PAX and my mind was changed.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By wefwefasdf

Would it be worth getting now if you haven't played it?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#23  Edited By tearhead

That game was so over rated. It's basically a MMO by urself... no thanks; played it for like 4 hours and I was done.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably, yeah. Just don't go wasting your money on 'special editions' or anything, get the cheap copy. Also get the PC version. At least there are mods.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By keyhunter

Oblivion needed spears, pillow forts, beards, and levitation. And less balance. Othewise It's perfect.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PitifullPete

There was one thing I really didn't like about Oblivion: The need to efficiently level up, since the enemies become stronger with each level you gain. I tend to play crazy assemblings of heroes, so basically, after investing 20 hours I realized I will be screwed soon. This took the fun out of the game for me. I really, really loved morrowind though (does it have the same leveling-up mechanics?).

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    PitifullPete said:
    "There was one thing I really didn't like about Oblivion: The need to efficiently level up, since the enemies become stronger with each level you gain. I tend to play crazy assemblings of heroes, so basically, after investing 20 hours I realized I will be screwed soon. This took the fun out of the game for me. I really, really loved morrowind though (does it have the same leveling-up mechanics?)."
    Not at all. Morrowind was the same place going in as it was coming out, I think. There were mudcrabs at the end where mudcrabs were in the beginning. THis made the world feel much more real and alive.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By atejas

It was a pretty meh game. Sucked you in, but looking back, not entirely worth the time invested in it.

Avatar image for toxicenchiliada
    toxicEnchiliada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By toxicEnchiliada

I thought it was suberb

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Drebin_893

To date, this is the best game I have ever had the honor to play.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By breton

It's a good game, I admit. And it deserves a fairly good rating. But, like lordofultima said here, it didn't have the impact Morrowind did. And that's the reason I'll agree with it being overrated. It's taking the crown over Morrowind in a lot of "best" lists.. and it shouldn't be. Did it do things better than Morrowind?.. yeah.. I suppose. It had better graphics, maybe a fuller world, and some other things... but it was just a rehash. It's like giving Ultimate Pong(actual title?) the crown over the original.. you just don't. Yeah, it's better... but only because it was made in 2008 instead of 1972.

I see GTA IV doing the same thing. GTA III should have the title forever. A sequal just doesn't deserve it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I can't really say if it's overrated or not, because I didn't play enough of it to rate it properly, but I can say from what I played of it that I didn't like it. It just wasn't immersive enough. With an RPG I like to be absorbed into the world, and get really into it. Oblivion didn't do this. As great as the graphics were, the world didn't seem real. The towns seemed empty and lifeless. Every character you met had the same voice as the last. Allsorts just made the game unenjoyable to me.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Red
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I know a lot of people that dislike Oblivion. I personally find it one of the more overrated games ever. Does anyone here think it deserves the praise it got? To give you an idea of its rating, it sits at #38 on the "highest scored games" on Gamerankings. That means it's better than Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, but not as good as Gears of War, I guess."
    Yeah, I tried so hard to like this game, but I can't. It just has way too many flaws for it to be that enjoyable. And I really wanted to love this game.
    lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lvl10Wizard
    PitifullPete said:
    "There was one thing I really didn't like about Oblivion: The need to efficiently level up, since the enemies become stronger with each level you gain. I tend to play crazy assemblings of heroes, so basically, after investing 20 hours I realized I will be screwed soon. This took the fun out of the game for me. I really, really loved morrowind though (does it have the same leveling-up mechanics?)."

I totally agree with this. It was the biggst disappointment in the entire game that the enemies level up in all regions as the character levels up.

Apart from that I found Oblivion entertaining if a bit bland. The setting was the strong point but the lack of variety and cookie cutter NPCs hurt the games appeal over time. The Shivering Isles was a much needed addition to get away from the usual fauna and flora and provide a little bit of madness to keep things ticking over. 

Overall I'd say Oblivion was a great game when it came out and it deserves it's status. Just don't ask too much of it if your playing it in the winter of 2008-2009.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BiggerBomb

*Raises hand*

I think calling this game overrated is overrated. Some people love to jump on the "overrated bandwagon." I'm not saying some peope don't actually think it is overrated, I'm saying a lot of people love to join in on the hate.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Stevokenevo

this was my first foray into the eldar scrolls and i loved all of it.  im probably not the most hardcore rpg player and thats maybe why this game suited me.  ive played about 200 hours of it. 

It is one of those awesome games though that becomes practically impossible to return to.  In 2005 nearly everything about the game seemed new and cool.  as were coming up to 2009, it wouldnt feel so good going back to it.  it doesnt age well. (combat /spell effects / dialog etc)   The best part about oblivion after finishing it is the mod scene ( for the pc ).  I actually got into learning how to mod because of this game, which was an interesting experience.

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AkumaX

One of my Top 5 games probably, definite 9/10.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Morrowind was much better in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do, just a pinch though.

rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rerty

oblivion is the type of game you are supposed to immerse yourself in , it doesnt do it for you. It's funny seeing people with zelda and halo avatars bashing it..... sorry the game didn't hold your hand the entire way through.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43  Edited By OGCartman

Everything is overrated, im so fucking sick of that word!

No, i do not think it was "over-rated", it was a fun game and deserved the high ranking it got

alltoohuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By alltoohuman
    Shawn said:
    "I really loved Oblivion, had alot of fun with it, sure, now I feel sick if I look at the box because of all the hours I put into it.

So yeah, I don't think this game is overrated at all."
    PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PitifullPete

Breton: Gta IV is a TOTALLY different approach to the series then GTA III was, I don't think you can compare that to a Morrowind-Oblivion dumbed down iteration.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#46  Edited By Atlas

Oblivion is the best game I have ever played. Nuff said.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Systech

Oblivion was the shit. 'Nuff said.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MKHavoc

Oblivion was actually my first Elder Scrolls game.  My expectations weren't too high, so I was able enjoy the game a lot.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#49  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I was and am a huge fan of Oblivion.  I think the world was as immersive as any I'd seen up to that point.  It will hold up well in my collection, and I still throw it in for a few hours now and again.

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AkumaX

It would be the best game ever if it used the improved version of Gamebryo that Fallout 3 has.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.