Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Help me not give up on Oblivion

Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Edited By Dooops

Seriously, I must have died 179.43 times in less than 4 hours!!! I can't block worth shit These fire elf things are raping me.  It takes like 20 hits to kill them. I dont know if I even leveled up yet, I dont know if I am in an area way above my level? I just went in the first oblivion gate and now I am getting raped/. I really want to enjoy this game but I  
    have seen the "you died a f*cking gain ... what do you want to do now screen" more than the game itself. 

I'll really appreciate any advice!
    Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dooops

Seriously, I must have died 179.43 times in less than 4 hours!!! I can't block worth shit These fire elf things are raping me.  It takes like 20 hits to kill them. I dont know if I even leveled up yet, I dont know if I am in an area way above my level? I just went in the first oblivion gate and now I am getting raped/. I really want to enjoy this game but I  
    have seen the "you died a f*cking gain ... what do you want to do now screen" more than the game itself. 

I'll really appreciate any advice!
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By VisariLoyalist

ok calm down, is your difficulty set to "get raped by the dungeon rats" if so lower your difficulty Edit:also just leave the oblivion plane or reload a save, that was a bad decision to go there first, use fast travel from now on XD

Eckon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Eckon

I've not a really experienced player in oblivion, but i just finished the first Oblivion gate and i found it quite easy, just wait for the elfs to shoot first and then dodge it. I use the spell of flame to throw some fire at them, and then, with the steel sword to chop some heads off.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

Lower the difficulty settings and grind the shit out of your character before you do the hard quests.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By BunkerBuster

You need to get better weapons. Grind some quests for money for armor and swords while getting your magic maxed.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Put down Oblivion, and pick up Fallout 3. You'll be a better man for it.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

Hate to say it, but you're not ready for the Oblivion gates. What kind of character are you playing - what's your focus, what are your main skills etc.? You have a choice - either turn down the difficulty, or you need to start a new character, and this time if you're worried about difficulty, do some research into a good starting build for a character. Unfortunately if you approach this game very lightly - choosing Imperial race, Warrior class - it can chew you up and spit you out.

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By mau64

Yeah, the best option for you would be to lower the difficulty some. It makes it a lot easier and you don't die so quickly.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By floodiastus
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " Put down Oblivion, and pick up Fallout 3. You'll be a better man for it. "
    Yup, definately. Fallout got a much better rule system underneath than oblivion.

@Dooops said:

" Seriously, I must have died 179.43 times in less than 4 hours!!! I can't block worth shit These fire elf things are raping me.  It takes like 20 hits to kill them. I dont know if I even leveled up yet, I dont know if I am in an area way above my level? I just went in the first oblivion gate and now I am getting raped/. I really want to enjoy this game but I  have seen the "you died a f*cking gain ... what do you want to do now screen" more than the game itself.  I'll really appreciate any advice! "

The gamesystem in this game is known for being broken. You should for example put the skills you intend to use the least as your primary skills, and put your "class skills"  as secondary. 

What happens if you want to play a warrior and put melee etc in primary, is that you level up too quickly and get raped by everyting.  All because of the whole, all creatues in the world level up when YOU do!
    AVANTxGARDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AVANTxGARDE

Lower your difficulty to easy! Or train your character!
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By Atlas
    @floodiastus: Broken, absolutely not. The thing about Oblivion that is so misunderstood is that the levelling system is almost completely unique and can be complicated, so it seems unintuitive at first but is actually a really clever system once you work out how to use it. It's not for everyone, true, but it's not broken. It's a system that rewards using all your skills rather than just powering up a handful of useful skills; it punishes one dimensional character builds and rewards adaptability. There is a solution to every problem.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By landon

Just give up. There's no way out.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By haggis
    @Atlas said:
    " @floodiastus: Broken, absolutely not. The thing about Oblivion that is so misunderstood is that the levelling system is almost completely unique and can be complicated, so it seems unintuitive at first but is actually a really clever system once you work out how to use it. It's not for everyone, true, but it's not broken. It's a system that rewards using all your skills rather than just powering up a handful of useful skills; it punishes one dimensional character builds and rewards adaptability. There is a solution to every problem. "
    This.

It took me until about halfway through my second playthrough before I figured this out. Once I did ... amazing. The game does encourage a bit of grinding, but there's so much to do early in the game that calling it grinding seems wrong somehow. There are plenty of quests early on to get you up a few levels so you can balance your character. Hell, now that I'm thinking about it, I want to play the game again.
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Wait, some people are actually playing Oblivion for the first time now?

Just go to the options menu and lower the difficulty slider (which is the dumbest thing ever!).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If it's the PC version, download some MODS. They make this game less of a husk than it is now.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By floodiastus
    @Atlas said:
    " @floodiastus: Broken, absolutely not. The thing about Oblivion that is so misunderstood is that the levelling system is almost completely unique and can be complicated, so it seems unintuitive at first but is actually a really clever system once you work out how to use it. It's not for everyone, true, but it's not broken. It's a system that rewards using all your skills rather than just powering up a handful of useful skills; it punishes one dimensional character builds and rewards adaptability. There is a solution to every problem. "
    Sorry, but I think it encourages powerbuilds, as the best way to play the game is to put all the skills you use most as secondary so you can max them out before leveling up (increasing the level of all mobs). If something is encourages one dimensional character builds, because it so severaly punishes you for taking skills like acrobatics as primary ones. 
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By floodiastus
    @haggis said:
    " @Atlas said:
    This.  It took me until about halfway through my second playthrough before I figured this out. Once I did ... amazing. The game does encourage a bit of grinding, but there's so much to do early in the game that calling it grinding seems wrong somehow. There are plenty of quests early on to get you up a few levels so you can balance your character. Hell, now that I'm thinking about it, I want to play the game again. "
    The thing is, it kind of breaks the immersion when you go to kill something, and you have a hard time, so you go out and do other stuff, level up and go back and the monster is even HARDER than before. That to me is a broken system, sure you can 1337-level your characters by exploiting the sytem by putting useful skills as secondary, but having to exploit a system just to make it work is kind of flawed imho. 

Other than that, the game is sweet. More ragdolls in fantasygames :)
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Semition
    @Atlas said:
    I disagree. All it does is encourage people to minor their majors and pick controlled majors so they get 5/5/5 whenever they level up. A game that should have a natural level up system should not be able to be min-max abused so much.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By floodiastus
    @Semition said:
    " @Atlas said:
    I disagree. All it does is encourage people to minor their majors and pick controlled majors so they get 5/5/5 whenever they level up. A game that should have a natural level up system should not be able to be min-max abused so much. "
    Wow thank you, I thought I was a one-man-army against the defenders ;)
    Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dooops

wow!! Ok I got a lot more responses than I was expecting. 

First thing, if I eventually have to I will bring down the slider bar down some but right now it is in the default diffculty (so in the middle). I do not want to have to bring it down. I am thinking maybe I built a horrible character. It seems like I might have to read up on hwo to build a good Oblivion character before playing this game. I'm a skilled video game player and have around 25 years of gaming experience so when I was dying as much as I was I knew "I was doing something wrong" 

What through me off is that I heard/read that as you level up the monsters do as well. So I thought to myself, well it would be moot to just grind levels. So I am thinking my character just might be a crappy build because I choose my settings for my character without too much consideration because usually RPG games make you choose stuff like that but it doesn't have as huge an impact as you would think. Obviously not the case for Oblivion lol 

So, I think I shall reset my character and as for suggestions on a good character build or even if someone can point me to a site that has a good guide on building a character for Oblivion. 

So suggestions for a good build for a .. 

1. Warrior type 
    2. Spell Caster 
    3. Long Range character 

If someone can hook me up with suggestions for that it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

P.S I do eventually plan on playing Fallout 3.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By haggis
    @floodiastus:  I think the variety of experiences with the game's leveling system probably have quite a bit to do with how you initially roll your character. I never had problems with monsters becoming too powerful after I'd leveled a bit. In my experience it's difficult to make a gimped character in Oblivion unless you have no idea what you're doing or simply make bad choices. If you do what the game suggests, you'll wind up with a decently powerful character. If people want to min-max, fine. The system is by no means perfect, but it gives quite a bit of flexibility. It works if you play by the rules, and it rewards tinkering. How some people think this is "broken" is beyond me, but we all have different play styles so the variety of experience doesn't surprise me.
    Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Jasonofindy
    @floodiastus said:

The thing is, it kind of breaks the immersion when you go to kill something, and you have a hard time, so you go out and do other stuff, level up and go back and the monster is even HARDER than before. That to me is a broken system, sure you can 1337-level your characters by exploiting the sytem by putting useful skills as secondary, but having to exploit a system just to make it work is kind of flawed imho.  Other than that, the game is sweet. More ragdolls in fantasygames :) "
    There isn't a need to "exploit the system just to make it work."  The game works just fine if you play through it organically without worrying too much about leveling up power skills.  The monsters leveling with you is a FEATURE.  They are supposed to remain challenging throughout the whole game and they allow the game to be structured such that you can explore the areas in any order.  The only people who seem to complain are min/maxers that WANT an RPG where their character eventually becomes uber and can wipe out anything they encounter.  I'll agree that Oblivion is not designed with this in mind and that to achieve such an "uber" character you have to min/max and exploit the system. However, to say that such exploitation is necessary just to make the game work just isn't true.    In fact, if you follow the suggestion of the poster below you to exploit the system and manipulate your character to always +5/+5/+5 then you essentially break the game and will soon be much, much more powerful than everything you encounter.  I guess this is great if you want an "uber" character, but in my opinion it just kills the fun of the game.  

Now I will admit there is one situation where the leveling of enemies doesn't seem to work quite right.  If you put off the main story too long, it becomes much tougher because the enemies seem to scale correctly, but the NPCs that join you for some of the larger climactic moments don't seem to scale (at least not correctly) and seem much too fragile if you try to complete the campaign at higher levels.  
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By armaan8014
    @Dooops: 
     Alright, first of all, I'm an absolute Oblivion lover. Now, if you haven't played much of the game, I'd suggest you do what I did:
    DON'T START THE MAIN QUEST LINE. It's awesome fun and makes you really strong! I never took the amulet to the dude, and I just wander from city to city doing side quests. Try it out.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By armaan8014
    @Dooops: Dude dude dude! Play as an archer! Please! It's great fun getting single shot kills from about a mile away! I completely recommend it.
    Also, are you on the PC? Then dude! MODS! You gotta mod this game to death. I got 80+ mods and the game is unbelievably amazing. Especially Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and QTP3

Let me know if you are on PC and wanna know more about the ranged build.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Semition
    @armaan8014 said:
    " @Dooops: Also, are you on the PC? Then dude! MODS! You gotta mod this game to death. I got 80+ mods and the game is unbelievably amazing. Especially Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and QTP3  Let me know if you are on PC and wanna know more about the ranged build. "
    I second this.

The mods fix so many problems with Oblivion. There's ones that add a much more natural, less min-max'y system. Ones that add a scaling ceiling and floor (so bandits don't get daedric armor as if it was being sold in bulk at the local food market). And a bunch of other stuff that make Oblivion so much better.
    Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dooops

Playing it on the 360. 

I think I might just ignore the main storyline for now and wander around and just explore and have fun.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Semition

@Dooops: As for general advice, no matter what you are, when picking favored attributes, one of them should be endurance. When picking a sign, unless there is one that you really want, pick the one with +endurance. 

If I remember correctly, Oblivion has a really stupid system where your maximum health increases every time you level, depending on your endurance stat. So say you get to 50 endurance by level 10 vs getting to 50 by level 20 (using made up numbers because I forgot what it should be) will make a dramatic difference in your health. So it is crucial to increase Endurance as high as possible during the lower levels, no matter what type of character, or else your health will end up gimped and you'll die a lot.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By floodiastus
    @Jasonofindy said:
    " @floodiastus said:

The thing is, it kind of breaks the immersion when you go to kill something, and you have a hard time, so you go out and do other stuff, level up and go back and the monster is even HARDER than before. That to me is a broken system, sure you can 1337-level your characters by exploiting the sytem by putting useful skills as secondary, but having to exploit a system just to make it work is kind of flawed imho.  Other than that, the game is sweet. More ragdolls in fantasygames :) "
    There isn't a need to "exploit the system just to make it work."  The game works just fine if you play through it organically without worrying too much about leveling up power skills.  The monsters leveling with you is a FEATURE.  They are supposed to remain challenging throughout the whole game and they allow the game to be structured such that you can explore the areas in any order.  The only people who seem to complain are min/maxers that WANT an RPG where their character eventually becomes uber and can wipe out anything they encounter.  I'll agree that Oblivion is not designed with this in mind and that to achieve such an "uber" character you have to min/max and exploit the system. However, to say that such exploitation is necessary just to make the game work just isn't true.    In fact, if you follow the suggestion of the poster below you to exploit the system and manipulate your character to always +5/+5/+5 then you essentially break the game and will soon be much, much more powerful than everything you encounter.  I guess this is great if you want an "uber" character, but in my opinion it just kills the fun of the game.   Now I will admit there is one situation where the leveling of enemies doesn't seem to work quite right.  If you put off the main story too long, it becomes much tougher because the enemies seem to scale correctly, but the NPCs that join you for some of the larger climactic moments don't seem to scale (at least not correctly) and seem much too fragile if you try to complete the campaign at higher levels.   "
    I have read quite a lot of threads about people having difficulty because of the scaling, it is one of the main problems people have with Oblivion. 

Also watch any character-building guide for oblivion and you will see people say exactly what I have been saying. You put your main stats as secondaries and not primaries.  The game encourages exploiting and that to me is a broken system, also any game that makes you NOT want to level is broken imho.

And, I myself am not a min-max player at all, I went in my first time going all casual, but the hero leveled up to quickly and the mobs got hard way too fast. I had to restart and put all my "warrior" skills as secondary so he would not level up too quickly.  Besides, I have not come across any RPG yet that you can make such an imba-uber-character as you can in Oblivion :)

It is no secret Bethesda does not know how to balance their games properly, fallout 3 got the famous stimpack problem. 

I like both games despite their flaws though.
    Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dooops

OK so here is my current build. My intentions were to make a spy/theif type player. I choose an Argonian in hopes to be able to explore underwater places. 

So 

Race: Argonian 
    Birthsign": The Shadow 
    Class: Spy 
    Level 1 

Health 60 
    Magicka 60 
    Fatigue 155 

Strength 40 
    Intelligence 40 
    Willpower 30 
    Agility 55 
    Speed 50 
    Endurance 30 
    Personality 30 
    Luck 55 

Major skills 
    Athletics 
    Illusion 
    Restoration 
    Acrobatics 
    Security 
    Sneak 
    Speechcraft

Minor Skills 
    Armorer 
    Blade 
    Block 
    Blunt 
    Hand to hand

Heavy Armor 
    Alchemy 
    Alteration 
    Conjuration 
    Destruction 
    Mysticism 
    Light Armor 
    Marksman 
    Mercantile

So ... is this a horrible build? Should I just start over? For now I am going to just go and explore before going back to the oblivion gate. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Dooops: Huh, you really don't want the "make the difficulty harder" mods like OOO, then, huh?
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By natetodamax
    @Dooops said:
    "  I think I might just ignore the main storyline for now and wander around and just explore and have fun. "
    That's what I'm doing on my current character. I've played for probably 20 hours and I haven't even gone to Kvatch yet. Mostly because I don't want Oblivion Gates to start popping up everywhere. If you do that quests, the gates will appear all throughout the map. If you don't, you can explore freely without worrying about them.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Semition

@Dooops said:

"Ok so here is my current build. My intentions were to make a spy/theif type player. I choose an Argonian in hopes to be able to explore underwater places. 

So...

-snip-

So ... is this a horrible build? Should I just start over? For now I am going to just go and explore before going back to the oblivion gate. 

"
    I haven't played Oblivion for a while so I might have remembered some things wrong.

It's not bad. The Shadow is ok at the beginning but you'll be able to get a invisible spell pretty quickly especially if you got illusion as a major. I remember you can get a really energy-efficient invisibility spell from the dark brotherhood spell merchant, so I would have taken something else over shadow.

You almost never should take security as a major. Lockpicking should be easy enough with minimal security skills and it's quite easy (especially for an argonian) to get the skeleton key (an unbreakable lockpick). You also don't need speechcraft as a major, since the minigame is extremely easy to do, even at low level speechcraft.

That being said, you don't have to start over. If you use repair hammers to fix armor regularly (to increase armorer) and use destruction magic, you'll have +points for endurance and willpower when you level up. Since you have both acrobatics and athletics as majors, if you wear some light armor, you'll most likely always have +4 or +5 to speed when you level up. Pick mainly +willpower, +endurance and +speed when you level up, and you'll probably have a magic oriented, fast but fairly durable character.

Stealth shouldn't be an issue since you picked shadow and there's other illusion spells that make you harder to see or completely invisible.
    Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dooops

Well, I read about how to make a good character. I restarted and I am now having fun with the game. Thanks to everyone that helped out! :)
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By c1337us
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " Put down Oblivion, and pick up Fallout 3. You'll be a better man for it. "
    I couldn't disagree more.
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Arbie

I play this game on pure easy mode. I gave it a go on harder modes but found dying on stupid enemies a waste of time when there was so much of a story to enjoy. I'll no doubt go back on another character and relive it all again at a harder level but I have too much fun exploring and progressing the story to continuously be dying. 

If you don't want to lower the difficulty setting you should try just doing sideline guild quests. I found them better than the mainline quest anyway!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.