Karma in Oblivion?

#1 Posted by essd0g (59 posts) -

I know that most merchants won't buy stolen goods and that there are consequences for theft, trespassing, etc., but is there some sort of karma or reputation system in this game?

I ask because I'm trying to cure my vampire status (I'm a full-blown vampire now) and am finding it very difficult to gather the required ingredients for Melisande's Vampirism cure when I can only go out at night. I've read that feeding will make my character more tolerant to sunlight, but at what cost? I want to get through this quest as quickly as possible without adversely affecting my reputation in the world by feeding.

(Also, does feeding kill characters or just turn them in into vampires? If so, assuming there are a finite amount of characters in the world, couldn't you conceivably kill a large amount of the population/turn the world into some sort of Twilight hell?. Just a random thought...)

#2 Posted by VirtualAthlete (90 posts) -
  •  Infamy affects the disposition of characters you meet. The exact effect depends upon the NPC's responsibility. NPCs with high responsibility will dislike you because of your infamy. At a responsibility of 100, an NPC's disposition will decrease 1 point for every 2 infamy points. At lower responsibility, disposition decreases less rapidly with infamy. For NPCs with a responsibility of about 10 or less, their disposition will actually increase as you gain infamy. Disposition will be modified by at most 20 points due to infamy (i.e., at most a 20 point loss for "good" NPCs at most a 20 point gain for "evil" NPCs). This modifier is calculated independently of the Fame disposition modifier.    
#3 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

As a side note, if you go through the cleansing thing you have to do to start the Knights of the Nine quest line, your infamy gets reset to 0 if I recall correctly.

#4 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" As a side note, if you go through the cleansing thing you have to do to start the Knights of the Nine quest line, your infamy gets reset to 0 if I recall correctly. "
Yea it does, and if your infamy goes higher than your fame, you cant wait the Knights of the Nine armor.
#5 Posted by essd0g (59 posts) -

Looks like it doesn't really matter now... My version of the game suffers from the "bloodgrass glitch". So I did a little research and it seems that I really have no choice but to feed and play the rest of the game as a vampire, or I could just start another file and prevent this from happening to begin with. Fuck...

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@essd0g said:
" Looks like it doesn't really matter now... My version of the game suffers from the "bloodgrass glitch". So I did a little research and it seems that I really have no choice but to feed and play the rest of the game as a vampire, or I could just start another file and prevent this from happening to begin with. Fuck... "
Gotta love how they never fixed that. Beth tossed this game aside and said FU to their customers. 
#7 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@essd0g: can you get rid of your vampire status via the console? 
#8 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -
@beej said:
" @essd0g: can you get rid of your vampire status via the console?  "
I'm gonna guess he's playing it on console. Yes, on the pc version, the problem is fixable.
#9 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@ThatFrood said:
" @beej said:
" @essd0g: can you get rid of your vampire status via the console?  "
I'm gonna guess he's playing it on console. Yes, on the pc version, the problem is fixable. "
Yeah I probably should have thought of that. Sorry for assuming!
#10 Posted by GiantEnemy (6 posts) -

as a side note, if you are a full blown vampire, most epople will not talk to you, as being a vampire is seen as being an abomination. Feeding is the best way to clear signs of Vampirism, and you can feed offf the same person many times to nullify the 4 day cycle. as long as you avoid waiting and sleeping, vampirism will not advane to the next stage.

#11 Posted by essd0g (59 posts) -

Yeah, I have the ps3 GOTY edition. I did that disk-swapping trick and was able to complete the quest and subsequently cure my vampirism.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.