Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Never played Oblivion, does it hold up?

• 59 results
    chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chrisovc

Never got a chance to play Oblivion, have been looking at some Skyrim videos and has me really excited for it. So was wondering if Oblivion still holds up and if I should give it a shot (PC) and if so are there any good mods out there? Looked around a bit and saw some texture ones and some that change weather cycles, was curious if there was a main texture mod or any mod that would get the game looking a little bit less old.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MideonNViscera

When I played it 2 years ago it seemed fairly ghetto. You may find it eye gouging now.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I think the game has aged very badly, it suffers a lot from being an early current-gen game. But it's still pretty playable, just expect a lot of jankyness and odd gameplay mechanics.. I'd recommend going further back and playing Morrowind first, which I think still holds up better and is hopefully a better indicator of what Skyrim's gameplay will be like.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ventilaator

I played Oblivion and hated everything about it and didn't understand why anyone would have anything good to say about it.  Tried again after several months, same result.

Then I played Fallout 3 and loved it, followed up with Fallout New Vegas which I found 10 times better.

Went back to Oblivion to give it another whirl, and found it to still be unplayable.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Yep. 

Graphics may be a shocker at first but you'll come through.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jack268
    @Ventilaator said:
    I played Oblivion and hated everything about it and didn't understand why anyone would have anything good to say about  Tried again after several months, same result. Then I played Fallout 3 and loved it, followed up with Fallout New Vegas which I found 10 times better.  Went back to Oblivion to give it another whirl, and found it to still be unplayable.
    This 
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Meltac

You should play Morrorwind instead. 

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Honestly, I don't have much good to say about the game. If you can get it cheap give it a whirl but don't expect much.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By buft

its one of my favourite games but its like that old girlfriend you have fond memories of that when you meet them years later they have six kids, a stomach that doesnt stay in one place and 3 teeth.

Jazz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Jazz2

I think you shouldn't go back to those bethesda games. If you play them when they come out, you can accept the jankiness a lot better and enjoy the amazing openness. But those games age poorly i find. Just wait till Skyrim comes out (and on the "day one patch" ^^)

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Jack268 said:

@Ventilaator said:
    I played Oblivion and hated everything about it and didn't understand why anyone would have anything good to say about Tried again after several months, same result. Then I played Fallout 3 and loved it, followed up with Fallout New Vegas which I found 10 times better. Went back to Oblivion to give it another whirl, and found it to still be unplayable.
    This

Yep, This x 2.

Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Monte

The things that make that game great are still there

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust
     scene from my game
     scene from my game
    I still play it often on my PC.  If you are going to do the same, then I suggest you go to the Elder Scrolls Nexus and get some mods there.  I have too many to list myself (and some clash), but look around and you'll find whatever you're looking for.  There are plenty of graphical upgrades too to overcome the ugliness of the base game.  I believe it truly holds up when properly modded. 
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jasta

You'll enjoy it mate, you can get it for dirt cheap to.

Jazz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jazz2
    @Meltac: That game looks horrible now. You can't be serious about advising someone to play a 100 hour game that looks and plays like shit. 
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meltac
    @Jazz2: But it plays way better, and there is always the power of mods. 
    shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shootermcclay

I played it for the first time about a year ago and loved it.  This was after I had put about 200 hours into Fallout 3.  If you are burnt out from the Bethesda formula, then you probably wont find much enjoyment.

Jazz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jazz2
    @Meltac:  If you can buy it on steam for like 2 bucks, fine. But seriously saying like: "Dude, you should play Return to Castle Wolfenstein, it's amazing!" is crazy. Games don't age well, even with mods.
    John_Lawlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By John_Lawlz

t holds up like shit, but let's be honest and recognize no one with a brainstem ever played this game for the graphics.

liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#20  Edited By liquidmatt
    @Ventilaator said:
    I played Oblivion and hated everything about it and didn't understand why anyone would have anything good to say about  Tried again after several months, same result. Then I played Fallout 3 and loved it, followed up with Fallout New Vegas which I found 10 times better.  Went back to Oblivion to give it another whirl, and found it to still be unplayable.
    This, only I didn't give it a second chance. Skyrim has me excited though.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By galiant

I've tried, and I've actually spent many hours trying to enjoy it, but there are like four voice actors and a whole lot of things you have to overlook if you play it by today's standards. I became interested after playing Fallout 3, but ultimately could not enjoy it as much. You should probably wait for Skyrim (like I am) or download a ton of mods to make it a completely different game. I guess it's worth it if you can overlook a few things like people in this thread have already mentioned.

Jazz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jazz2
    @John_Lawlz: Every Elder Scrolls game looked amazing when it came out! The landscape and sunsets in Oblivion were breathtaking! Those games are all about exploring and immersing yourself in another world. The scale and detail of the world is the thing that sets those games apart.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#23  Edited By EpicSteve

It has aged terribly. However, you should still play it just to see what is considered one of this generation's best. Wait for the Anniversary edition this summer.

Rongaryen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Rongaryen

Oblivion is alright. The complaints about that game having dated graphics and is totally busted is almost mute since you can download a couple mods and fan-made patches that fixes all the technical issues. What you might find to be a little is the actually skill system and the way you level up in that game sucks pretty hard but, that's another thing you can fix with mods...actually all problems you see everyone complaining about with this game can easily be fixed with a few simple--well, a few mods.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TobbRobb

It has aged horribly, and I didn't think it was incredible "though it WAS fun" to begin with .

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I hate RPGs 

i played Oblivion in 2011 

Mind=Blown

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By 71Ranchero

This is funny. I assumed I was the only one that wasnt tricked by Oblivion into thinking it was a good product. 

No the game doesn't hold up. At all. I re-install every 6 months thinking that maybe I will "get it" this time but its always still just a really bad game with no direction and piss poor gameplay.

elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By elbon
    @PenguinDust said:
    I still play it often on my PC.  If you are going to do the same, then I suggest you go to the Elder Scrolls Nexus and get some mods there.  I have too many to list myself (and some clash), but look around and you'll find whatever you're looking for.  There are plenty of graphical upgrades too to overcome the ugliness of the base game.  I believe it truly holds up when properly modded. 
    This is the best site for mods, If you don't like something about the game this site most likely has a mod to fix it. I recently cleaned up my pc and removed over 100gb of mods and the oblivion folder was something like 130 - 150 gb for a game thats only 7ish gb
    LollerskateDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LollerskateDJ

Skyrim has me excited as well. I recently downloaded Oblivion onto my 360 and I just can't get into it whatsoever, I am not sure if it is because I'm playing it 5 years after it came out or if it's something else. There is something about Oblivion that I just do not like, I just wish I could get my money back >_>

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gike987

No not at all. The graphics and animations are horrible, and the skill and level systems are broken. It's still pretty fun if you install enough mods, but without those I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Red

You can get it for dirt cheap, so try it out, but be prepared for some jank and pretty horrible combat, and loads of imbalance. But then again, there are some pretty special moments in that game. I recommend at least doing the Dark Brotherhood campaign, and if you don't want to deal with the combat just turn the difficulty all the way down. Also, playing Oblivion will give you a greater respect for Skyrim when it comes out. It looks amazing so far, and seems to fix all the myriad problems I had with Oblivion. Lastly, do not play the game in third person. If you want proof as to why this is a horrible idea, move diagonally in third person, and then jump. Ugh.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Potter9156
    @Jazz2 said:
    @Meltac: That game looks horrible now. You can't be serious about advising someone to play a 100 hour game that looks and plays like shit. 

Not all of us play RPGs for the technical prowess of the engine, but for the story, setting, atmosphere, and character progression that you can't find in any other genre, and Morrowind is leagues ahead of Oblivion and arguably every other open-world RPG out there in each of those areas.  

Also, MW modded looks like this:  

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DG991

I loved it. It was great for its time, and I think it holds up.

Also, on PC.... texturepacks.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By sixpin

Oblivion is still a good game. It doesn't look as good as modern games, but I never played RPGs for their graphics. It is a strange and interesting game that you can easily lose yourself in for several hours at a time. I recommend it. Just remember it isn't your usual modern-day hand holding experience. Oblivion is very much about doing whatever you want at your own pace.

Also, What's up with all the haters in this thread? Just because a game is old and has some janky old-school mechanics doesn't mean it is a bad game. Lighten up people.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Azteck
    @buft said:
    its one of my favourite games but its like that old girlfriend you have fond memories of that when you meet them years later they have six kids, a stomach that doesnt stay in one place and 3 teeth.
    Gross..
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@sixpin said:

Oblivion is still a good game. It doesn't look as good as modern games, but I never played RPGs for their graphics. It is a strange and interesting game that you can easily lose yourself in for several hours at a time. I recommend it. Just remember it isn't your usual modern-day hand holding experience. Oblivion is very much about doing whatever you want at your own pace.

Also, What's up with all the haters in this thread? Just because a game is old and has some janky old-school mechanics doesn't mean it is a bad game. Lighten up people.

Oblivion is the very definition of a modern day hand holding game. You can instantly warp to any location, and every single quest has a massive green arrow showing you exactly where to go and what to do. It's as dumbed down as it can get, and there's almost no sense of exploration of freedom because of it. Being open world doesn't make it deep or complex. Like I said originally, you'd be much better served to go back to Morrowind, which despite being an older game, hasn't aged as badly (as long as you can put up with dice rolls). It rewards exploration, forces you find things for yourself and has a much more unique setting and story.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By sixpin

@WinterSnowblind: I disagree. If you want the "very definition of modern day hand holding" go play FF13's hallways or Dragon Age's map system. I'm not saying that those other games' styles are inherently bad, but Oblivion still lets you do things your way. I'm not even saying it is better or worse than Morrowind. By all means I would say play both games.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm sure you can wait for the next steam sale and get everything for $5 or $10 with all the dlc content. The pc version has mods. Sometimes I don't know what to do, but it always has an arrow and some hints of what your suppose to do. I use a walkthough when i'm stuck, the animation and graphics are sort of crap. But it's always fun and a casual rpg. It's worth playing if you can get it for cheap. I enjoyed every hour i've spent in that game. It practically has infinite side quest, which is the main feature that draws in alot of ppl.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By sopranosfan

Let me start off by saying that I love RPGs and find joy in a lot of them that others can't stand.  I last played Oblivion a year or two ago and I really enjoyed it still.  Yes it has some problems but I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely go back and play it again before Skyrim.
    Jazz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jazz2
    @Potter9156: I absolutely get that. I Played more than 100 hours of Dragon Age, and a lot of that time was spend on figuring out the perfect way to use and level up my companions and reading the giant ingame codex. And in a lot of ways, Morrowind was probably a deeper game than Oblivion (which at times felt really generic to me). But for me the Elder Scrolls games are really about exploring and experiencing a great fantastical world. So it has to look good. That doesn't just mean nice looking lighting and a new texture pack like in that mod. It means characters that don't stand still, wild animals running around etc. That is why Morrowind feels dated to me. 
    It's hard to look objectively at old games because games generally don't age well. That is not the fault of the games, it's just adherent to this form of entertainement. (at least in this young stage of its exisistence)

ps sorry for any spelling mistakes, i'm from Belgium :)
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RichardLOlson

Yes Oblivion and Morrowind is awesome.  Skyrim has me so pumped.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By vendetta

I loved Oblivion to death and remember being amazed by it in 2006. Popped it in again a few months ago and it's barely playable now. Games have grown.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I just recently started playing Oblivion again.  Still enjoy it, but I tend to be the type who loves to build a character more than almost anything else, and Shivering Isles makes up for any blandness in the main game itself.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By armaan8014
    @PenguinDust said:
     scene from my game
     scene from my game
    THIS
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BraveToaster

I was playing it on Xbox while I was listening to last night's livestream. You can easily put 100+ hours into it.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By jorbear

If you play it on PC and use the right graphical mods, then the game can look great. I still play it every once and a while.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Arker101
    @NekuSakuraba said:

@Jack268 said:

@Ventilaator said:

I played Oblivion and hated everything about it and didn't understand why anyone would have anything good to say about Tried again after several months, same result. Then I played Fallout 3 and loved it, followed up with Fallout New Vegas which I found 10 times better. Went back to Oblivion to give it another whirl, and found it to still be unplayable.
    This

Yep, This x 2.

This Gun & Energy weapons > Magic&Swords 
    Also Flaming Sword! 

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO, the main story and gameplay were always shit. Now even the visuals have faded... 

There are some very good side quest lines, but it's not worth it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SSully

I think it is worth a try. The game looks horrible, but if you can get past that and some odd gameplay mechanics it will hook you. I don't know what everyone is talking about, this game felt dated when it was released, so idk why everyone is acting like this is something new.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By emem

@buft said:

Haha.

There are actually some nice mods for the PC version which make the game look much better and there are also addons and tons of user made quests/items/spells.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.