Oblivion Leveling Problem

#2 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

You can't beat the problem unless you lower the difficulty as you go. At least that's what I've found.

In this sense, Oblivion is broken. People scored it high because of teh graphix.

#3 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

I play the 360 version am currently lvl 38 or so and have no problem with the enemies and im playing at about half dificulty slider...

#4 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -

This is by far the biggest flaw in Oblivion, and the easiest solution is to lower the difficulty slider. I honestly don't think it that's hard to beat at the default setting.

#5 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

your probably not killing your enemies with your highest skills.
Mix it up a bit, use some magic, poisons, bows etc.

Its obviously going to get boring if you just rely on hitting something over and over with a sword.

You dont have to level up "perfectly", but it does help to use the skills smartly.
I find the levelling annoying as you get to a point where the enemies stop changing, and your fighting the same old monsters, at the same old levels.

It needed to be more random.

#6 Posted by duxup (354 posts) -

I LOATHED this issue on the PC to the point I just gave up.

#7 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -
duxup said:
"I LOATHED this issue on the PC to the point I just gave up."
PC have mods that solve it. Use them, just head to the Elder Scroll forums.
#8 Posted by Patchinko (841 posts) -

Yeah, there's a couple of mods that "fix" the levelling system in Oblivion, though I'm not sure which is best, etc. It seems like the ones that level up your "main skills" with you are probably best, since Oblivion's biggest problem was that it would actually penalize you for using your "main skills" by not giving you as many stat points when you used them. Things like having a weapon or armor skill as one of your main skills was a detriment, when it should have been a boon. Anyway, search around for those mods, they apparently really help the gameplay a great deal.

#9 Posted by Chocobo_Blitzer (303 posts) -

I haven't hit the high level issue myself but I do understand the leveling problem here. Getting 5x/5x/5x each time you level up is not easy, and doesn't exactly befit natural play. I've been trying my hardest to level efficienty, but it's taxing, and it starts to turn into a meta-game where you're concerned only about your skillups. I've had to approach situations differently just to make sure I leveled right, going in without armor on as to make sure I didn't level myself. Those trolls were not kind.

out of curiosity, what level are you Tarsier? when does the leveling problem really start to show?

#10 Posted by Patchinko (841 posts) -
Tarsier said:
"I am at level 6, I can kill Timber Wolfs or Burglars or whatever in about 4 shots, but I am fighting Deranged Zombies or Willo Wisps which are really irritating. Using the strongest spell available at my level (which does 45 fire damage) the zombies take 4 shots to kill and it depletes all of my magicka which is absolutely ridiculous. I have to wait for my magicka to regenerate after killing each zombie. If I use my old spells it takes about 50 shots. I can't see it getting any easier because when I played the PC version I got to about level 13 and I had the same problem where it took like 3 minutes for each fight. Constantly running away and healing."
One other problem is that magic is pretty weak in Oblivion. You're definitely at an advantage if you focus on strength and speed over magic for the most part.
#11 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -
Tarsier said:
"I am at level 6, I can kill Timber Wolfs or Burglars or whatever in about 4 shots, but I am fighting Deranged Zombies or Willo Wisps which are really irritating. Using the strongest spell available at my level (which does 45 fire damage) the zombies take 4 shots to kill and it depletes all of my magicka which is absolutely ridiculous. I have to wait for my magicka to regenerate after killing each zombie. If I use my old spells it takes about 50 shots. I can't see it getting any easier because when I played the PC version I got to about level 13 and I had the same problem where it took like 3 minutes for each fight. Constantly running away and healing."
  Alchemycan help you here, make some restore magicka potions.
#12 Posted by Greevar (4 posts) -

Weakness to Magicka is your friend. Just get yourself into the arcane university and create custom spells with 5 seconds of weakness to that particular element. Or you can create a weakness spell that has all of the weakness effects and a multi-elemental spell to cast after. If you cast it fast enough, the weakness spells will stack to amplify your spells. Turn Undead, Frenzy, and Demoralize can help you in a battle. If cast with a wide radius, they can give you some respite to let your magicka recharge, quaff some potions, or conjure a minion to soak up some damage. If you're into touch spells, you can create an offensive spell that hurts your enemies and cast shield on you for 5-10 seconds. At low levels, enchant your robes with shield to stand against melee opponents. At higher levels you will need to enchant with fortify magicka to cast more powerful spells or prep an enemy with weakness. There is an evercast trick you can do at spellmaking that let's you cast without running out of magicka. Fortify magicka 100pts for 3 seconds and throw in whatever effects you want as long as the magicka cost is 49 pts or less. Now you can cast that spell forever; you will have to compensate for armor if you wear any. Check out the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages for some spell recipies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.