Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Oblivion VS. Fallout

• 67 results
    scumble373

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By scumble373

Which one is better and Why??

ZombieJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ZombieJesus

I think Oblivion is slightly better. I didn't like the dull landscape of fallout but I really liked the vibrant countryside of Oblivion.
    There is an interesting article about the subject here

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

I'd say fallout. Having guns really does it for me, as well as the overall setting.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By samcotts

I really couldn't get into Oblivion, the world didn't interest me at all, but I quickly fell in love with Fallout 3. My only complaint is that it's way too short; it's over just as the story gets interesting and you really feel involved in the Fallout world.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SSbabel

I prefer Oblivion, the reason i enjoy that medi-evil spell casting, sword fighting, bow arrow shit over the post apocalyptic theme.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ManlyBeast

I haven't really played fallout 3 that much yet. I'm on level 2 and I've been letting my brother and my friend play it, but Oblivion is my favorite SP game of all time, so fallout 3 has alot of work to do.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RandomHero666

Its very hard to say as both have their positive, both are fucking amazing imo.
    Ill have to go with Fallout 3 only because i love the setting and idea of a post apocalyptic world.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By grilledcheez

I liked Oblivion better because of the setting and world as a whole.  Fallout 3 was far more boring in that regard to me.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PureRok

I find them to be two completely different games.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MachoFantastico

Oblivion easily, it's world was twice as interesting as Fallout 3's. Found Fallout 3 quite dull actually compared to Oblivion.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_

It's easy to make comparisons on why they are similar, but as someone who has spent over 150 hours on Oblivion and who is nearly 50 hours into his first Fallout 3 playthrough, I think it's really obvious that they are very different.

Which one would I say is... better? I don't know yet. I haven't invested nearly enough time into Fallout 3.

The thing about Oblivion was that it was incredibly easy to get into the world. The game was never overly difficult (if difficult *at all*), and you never quite felt the level of intensity that Fallout 3 manages to bring almost constantly. It was much more accessible in that manner. The atmosphere was much smoother, and because Bethesda has always been Elder Scrolls, the lore (though not necessarily the story) and the world of Oblivion is incredibly detailed and built up. Oblivion also had free-roam possibilities at the end of the game. That's a plus. They took a lot of new steps and design philosophies in stride while developing Oblivion, and it's like the first iteration of a new formula- not (nearly) perfect. Bandits have full Daedric (wut?), dungeons are all the same no matter what, and the fact that every single grass/bush/tree/land texture looks nearly the same in each environment doesn't do much to create a memorable or interesting exploration experience.

Fallout, on the other hand, is a barren wasteland. Everything is literally and figuratively buried in rubble. It takes hard work to delve into Fallout 3, although it's easier to slide into if you've played the previous Fallout games. From the beginning escape and confusion in Vault 101, to the other quests, story turns, and even exploration, Fallout 3 manages to raise your blood pressure and have you watching your back at all times. Exploring the Wasteland really *is* dangerous, managing your items and supplies is a real and deliberating task, and the game has you making choices that you actually sit down and think about. Bethesda has obviously ramped up their efforts in this game, and it shows. They've re-worked the level-scaling system to almost-acceptable levels. (I fucking hate having to kill Giant Radscorpions everywhere I fucking go. Don't get me started on Talon Mercs and Enclave soldiers.) They have managed to do a very good job meshing in with Fallout's lore. Although the shooting gameplay is fairly weak, you have to admit that finding something like Lincoln's Repeater or the Alien Blaster is way more rewarding and cool than anything in Oblivion was.

Overall, and you can probably tell by now that I found Fallout 3 to be much more of an achievement than Oblivion was, which answers the question of the topic. If you were to ask me what game I would want next, ES5 or FO4, I would have to say Elder Scrolls 5 though. It's good to mix it up.

Satune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Satune

Obilvion by far, I found the story alot more involving and ya, spell casting is great. Fallout isnt meant to be a FPS game so guns felt so weird.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By bwooduhs

I would have to say Oblivion. Fallouts shooting just made it hard for me to play.

Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shadow2K6

Fallout.  The story is far more realistic.  None of that "Save TeH WoRLD!!!" Final Fantasy kind of nonsense.  Your just following your father which I think is a little more realistic then where Oblivion went with the story.  I dislike a lot of medieval type of games but love futuristic games.  Since Fallout takes place in the future I like it better.  Most of my dislikes for Oblivion were really around the whole tone of the game.  The whole "My Liege" nonsense got old real quick.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gameboi

I have yet to complete either game, but having played them both -- I'd have to go with Oblivion. I just can't seem to get engrossed in Fallout III, even as a fan of the Apocolyptic genre. I can understand why the VATS system is attractive to many, but it's not for me. Having said that, I don't blame the game; It's obviously good. Just not my style.

pepper_2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By pepper_2000

Fallout, it is all about the presentation. Gameplay, although not perfect, fits in with the game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Its a toss up. I really didn't like the way that Fallout forced you to scour the wastes for  side quests (as opposed to all the nice and linear questlines in Oblivion), but Oblivion also suffers from being super generic (as opposed to the Role-playing elements that make Fallout so awesome) 

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Fallout 3 is much better than Oblivion. Oblivion could have been called "Dungeons and Dragons" and it would have been applied. It was so stock. Fallout had a much richer universe to take from.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I've said before, I'm a sucker for Post-Apocalyptic narratives, so Fallout gets the nod, even though I find Oblivion to be one hell of a game. 

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Systech

It's difficult to determine which one is better. I think I might like Fallout 3 a little more, but that could be because it's more recent.

Smersh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Smersh

I recently picked up oblivion after enjoying a little time in the fallout 3 universe and I just can't get into it. Oblivion just feels to sterile and cold and lonely. 

mmo oblivion up and I might be interested tho...
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The dialog in both games is similar in quality to my half-assed attempts at writing in junior high. That said, Fallout bored me more quickly, perhaps because the two games are so damned similar. It feels like Fallout should be superior, but it suffers from so many of the same flaws.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheHT

It's pretty bad ass being a crazy gunman trying to survive a desolate wasteland, but it's not quite as engaging IMO as being in Cyrodiil. I suppose it's just the level of activity and lush environments that does it for me. Fallout 3 definitely improved on some of the issues Oblivion had, but the world in the latter just always felt a lot more inviting.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By c1337us

Oblivion. Fallout 3 was a big disapointment for me.

bogalah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bogalah

I think that Fallout 3 has much more complex characters than Oblivion. NPCs in Fallout 3 make the dead capital wasteland seem somehow alive ( in a creepy but good way).

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kazona

Fallout 3

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hexpane

Fallout is better than Oblivion

I don't know why people are talking about Fallout 3, that was not the question!

I also liked FO3 better than Oblivion,  mostly because the Combat in Oblivion is broken and pointless.  At least the combat in FO3 is fun in VATS.  Combat in Oblivion is basic hack and slash. 

Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rapture

Fallout 3, more weapons, choices, deeper story and background and more interesting places to visit and explore

hodkurtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hodkurtz

See my link:

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I'd say Oblivion.  The world of Oblivion was much more interesting to look at then Fallout 3.  Though most of oblivion was forest there were some parts that looked different such as the snowy mountains surrounding Bruma. 
    I also liked the leveling system in Oblivion much more because your abilities went up the more you used them as opposed to Fallout 3 where you raise them manually.  It feels more natural to me.  Fallout 3's low level cap of 20 is something else that bothers me.  Before you really get your character as unique as you want you max out on experience points.  After this you either need to find books or bobbleheads to make yourself stronger. 
    A lot of people say that Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns.  I think this is a fairly accurate thing to say.  However since there are guns in Fallout 3, you must use guns if you want to survive.  And the gunplay outside of vats in Fallout 3 is just not very good.  This makes most of the combat, shoot a guy in the head in vats, hide for a few seconds and shoot another guy in the head in vats.  I'm not saying the combat was great in Oblivion but still it's better than the standard gunplay in Fallout 3.
    There were also far more things to do in oblivion.  Whenever I went to check what quests I could do, there were always more than enough to keep me going.  I never felt like I had something else to do.  It made the world feel like wherever I went there would be some new cool stuff to see and do.  The main quest, while not very long, still felt satisfying when I finished it.  Fallout 3 on the other hand, feels empty.  I never had the feeling that there was always more to see.  There aren't very many quests and the main quest line finishes just as soon as it begins.
    However I do really enjoy both games.  I'm excited about the dlc for Fallout and am curious what they're going to do with the next elder scrolls.  Fallout 3 made me really want Bethesda to make a game set in the old west since there hasn't been a great western since Sunset Riders on the Super Nintendo.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hexpane
    FiestaUnicorn said:

I also liked the leveling system in Oblivion much more because your abilities went up the more you used them as opposed to Fallout 3 where you raise them manually.  
    That's odd because it's usually the biggest complaint about Oblivion.   You can skill glitch to level, or just constantly sneak to level.. but as you level, everything else levels so you just get relatively weaker in oblivion as everything else gets stronger.

FO3 you really do get a lot more powerful as you level up.    Try it for yourself.  Closing Oblivion gates is faster and more efficient if you neversleep and level up.  Maybe get to level 10 max.  Once you hit level 30 or so in Oblivion, killing the same monsters you used to kill now takes 3X as long and does 4X the damage to your weapons and items.

On the other hand in Morrowind it was much better, mobs did not level to the extreme as they did in Oblivion so in MOrrowind if you were high level w/ lots of gear and skills, you truly felt like a god.    Oblivion is more like a mega man or something where you die after 5 hits no matter what level.
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Chummy8

Are you comparing Oblivion to the Fallout series, or just Fallout 3?  Because IMO, the Fallout series is better than the Elderscrolls series.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By ProfessorEss

I much prefer Fallout 3 myself.

The dialog, characters and subject matter all seemed more interesting to me - perhaps I was just a little "fantasy'd out".

I also had issues with the levelling system in Oblivion, living in constant fear of nerfing my character.

Fallout 3 has given me the desire to give Oblivion another whirl tho.

Thecookiejar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Thecookiejar

If fallout 3 had kept the feel of making you feel like a scavenger that would win but becuase it doesnt oblivion takes the cookie

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By RHCPfan24

I like Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Which one is better? Probably Fallout because of its more modern advances and atmosphere. It all comes down to personal taste.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jNerd

fallout pwns
    /thread

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Snail

My vote goes to Fallout.

Neorub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Neorub

For some reason i could never get into Oblivion. I was afraid of not enjoying Fallout but i gave it a shot and am now 67hrs in. I really liked it, i might pop in Oblivion now to try something diffirent.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I tried to play Oblivion again on  my PC a few days ago. I already uninstalled it because it just felt inferior to Fallout 3. Oblivion is a great game as long as you never played Fallout 3 or you are just going off of your memories of playing it months or years ago. Even maxed on my PC in 1920x1080 it still looked under detailed and the characters are all dull and lifeless, using what seems to be the same 4-5 voice actors. I got 1000 achievement points on the 360 version of Oblivion back in the day but the game is to antiquated for me to play now.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CreamyGoodness

oblivion. i hate using VATS. i like real time combat and oblivion is more deep, has better scenic values and is just more fun overall

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By granderojo

I liked fallout tell the ending, and being I had 1 save file, it was epic fail to me, I really don't feel like investing another 70+hrs into it.

lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lodar011

It really comes down to personal preference.  With the market being flooded with shooters, I simply prefer Oblivion because of it's fantasy setting.  I really appreciate being able to walk across the world without loading every 5 seconds in Fallout though.

Avatar image for cleverloginname
    CleverLoginName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CleverLoginName

I thought Cyrodiil was just a more interesting place to wander around, and there were a bunch of little quests that made exploring fun. I don't get where people are coming from when they say the combat or story in either game is a pro, they were pretty bad in both games. Oh and which game lets you dupe thousands of watermelons, yeah.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Matt_

Oblivion was amazing for it's day. Fallout 3's use of the engine seems so dated nowadays. Especially as a shooter. Oblivion was greater in it's time.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Fallout because of the better battle system... but both get extremely boring to me

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gruff182

Oblivion hands down.
    FPS Guns and dice rolls just dont go.
    Oblivion had better environments, combat choices, rpg elements, personalities and diversity.

It also has more than 3 colours.

Infact after playing Fallout for 20 hours I realised how great Oblivion was, so I went out and bought the Shivering Isles and have yet to look back.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're equal but opposite, in my book. 

Fallout is good for those days when you just want to scrounge the wastes in an effort for survival.  Oblivion is good for those days when you want to ride horseback through a massive Lord of the Rings-esque universe. 

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By THE_END

Oblivion wins.  I rented Fallout 3 and played for 10 minutes then returned it.  Fallout 3 was very boring I just couldn't get into it.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Fallout 1&2 > Oblivion and Fallivion

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#50  Edited By AgentJ
    bwooduhs said:
    "I would have to say Oblivion. Fallouts shooting just made it hard for me to play."

Satune said:
    "Obilvion by far, I found the story alot more involving and ya, spell casting is great. Fallout isnt meant to be a FPS game so guns felt so weird."
    Almost sounds to me like the people that played fallout in first person liked it less than oblivion, while those who played in third person liked it more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.