What is the point of this game?

#1 Posted by navyguy21 (16 posts) -

I know im gonna sound like a noob here, but what is the point of this game. I mean, ive been playing for like 8hrs, and i cant find the main story missions!!! all ive done was beat everyone in the arena, and save the people from the church, and closed the oblivion gate. Now im lost!!! Please help!!

#2 Posted by piecat (384 posts) -

Check your quest journal.

#3 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

1. Stop playing Oblivion.
2. Get a copy of Morrowind.
3. Become experienced.

#4 Posted by Bansheebot (48 posts) -

To run around monotonous environments whilst gawking at the occasional Oblivion Gate/Mountain Lion. 

Also, to listen to six different people read the voiceovers for hundreds of NPCs. 

#5 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

You do have a journal with every active quest in it, ya know. Might wanna check that.

#6 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

It's all in your Journal...If you plan on following the Main Quest then you really have to pay attention because it's not linear at all. If you are someone who can get distracted easily than the point of the game is this: Ohhhh, look at the pretty flower over there.

#7 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

the point of this game is to suck you and and let you back out after 150 + hours.

Well thats what happened to me anyway

#8 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -
calf_exercises said:
"the point of this game is to suck you and and let you back out after 150 + hours.

Well thats what happened to me anyway"
When I saw your username, I expected to see calves in your profile picture doing aerobics. WHY AREN'T THERE?!
#9 Edited by DualReaver (3882 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"1. Stop playing Oblivion.
3. Become experienced."
DO IT.
AndrewGaspar said:
"calf_exercises said:
"the point of this game is to suck you and and let you back out after 150 + hours.

Well thats what happened to me anyway"
When I saw your username, I expected to see calves in your profile picture doing aerobics. WHY AREN'T THERE?!"

For some reason this made me lawl.
#10 Posted by Kungaroo (7 posts) -

The main point of the game? Have fun. Do you really need a quest log to guide you through this game? This game is an RPG - it's open ended, and besides, the main quest is kind of ish anyways. Go explore, maybe go raid a dungeon or two. The game is yours to play, you don't have to be on it's leash unless you want to.

#11 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

You kill giant krabz n st0ofz.

#12 Posted by Hexproof (177 posts) -
Shawn said:
"You kill giant krabz n st0ofz."
Lol
#13 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -
Shawn said:
Every creature in this game is giant and will want to kill you. Except deer... And the sheep... And the birds that doesn't exist...
#14 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
3. Become experienced."
the combat sucked in morrowind but overall it was a harder game
#15 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Playing morrowind wouldn't help that moron. He'd spend 8 hours jumping around Seyda neen with no clothes on before he gives up and goes back to whatever dumbshit devil may cry game he was playing before.

#16 Posted by Big_D (169 posts) -

I've played it for an hour and already bored out of my skull. where is everything? walking around and maybe finding a wolf that then gets killed by a crab isn't that fun.

#17 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
Big_D said:
"I've played it for an hour and already bored out of my skull. where is everything? walking around and maybe finding a wolf that then gets killed by a crab isn't that fun."
Hey you didn't find any trolls yet well i know turn off the game and go look in the mirror 
#18 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
Shawn said:
giant ENEMY crabs?? :O:O:O:O:O
#19 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Flip it over for MASSIVE, and I mean MASSIVE damage.

#20 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

Wait but seriously, does oblivion have real time weapon change? I mean you have to go into the menus to change your weapon. I don't know I haven't played this game in over a year.

#21 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

you can hotkey a weapon i believe. and the purpose of oblivion is to have you wandering around aimlessly doing random quests until one day you wake up and go lawd that's boring. still i liked the combat

#22 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

The quest log is your friend.

Spoiler!

Go back to Jauffre at Weynon Priory.

#23 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Oh yeah. Some spoiler. The game's been out for like 2 years.
He probably already knows that Martin or whatever turns into akatosh and kills a giant 4 armed deadric lord in a fist fight  over top the temple in cyrodils capitol.

#24 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -
ZombieHunter said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
3. Become experienced."
the combat sucked in morrowind but overall it was a harder game"
 I agree.
And un-modded Morrowind is unplayable imo; You walk way to slow and the combat is broken.
#25 Posted by Chocobo_Blitzer (303 posts) -
navyguy21 said:
"

I know im gonna sound like a noob here, but what is the point of this game. I mean, ive been playing for like 8hrs, and i cant find the main story missions!!! all ive done was beat everyone in the arena, and save the people from the church, and closed the oblivion gate. Now im lost!!! Please help!!

"
The game tracks every quest you've ever done or currently have active. Search around your menus, clicking on an active quest  will give you the logs for every entry on that quest, as well as give you a waypoint to follow on your compass towards your next objective.
#26 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Try going underwater and staying there for 2 hours as a human. Great fun, I guarantee it.
If that doesnt work out, get into a fistfight with a town guard. They're such a fun bunch of guys! After that, you can try pickpocketing something, and when the guy finds out, share a hearty laugh!

#27 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Look in your journal, it's all there.

And try to sign up in the guilds too

#28 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
ManMadeGod said:
"ZombieHunter said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
3. Become experienced."
the combat sucked in morrowind but overall it was a harder game"
 I agree.
And un-modded Morrowind is unplayable imo; You walk way to slow and the combat is broken.
"
That's why you level up with the right skills. Acrobatics, armorer, weapon of choice, lock pick...
I used to spend some time using magic to lock doors and pick them, then I'd jump around everywhere I went. Quick and easy leveling

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.