The first online game in the Elder Scrolls franchise will cover the entire continent of Tamriel and feature three distinct player factions. Players will choose a faction and clash with the other two factions, the Empire and the Daedric Prince Molag Bal in an attempt to take control of the Imperial City of Cyrodil and stop Nirn from becoming merged with Oblivion.
The Elder Scrolls Online was initally a subscription based game consisting of purchasing the game with the first 30 days being free and $14.99, €12.99, and £8.99 per month.
The game is available for PC/Mac, PS4 and Xbox One.
On March 17, 2015 the game was renamed The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited to coincide with players no longer needing to have an active subscription to play the game. Players only need to buy the base game in order to play the full game.
The game features three distinct player factions each with three member races.
The Daggerfall Covenant consists of the Bretons, Redguard, and Orcs. The covenant is ruled by the Kings of High Rock which is lead by High King Emeric in Wayrest. The Kings of High Rock is an alliance by marriage of the Redguard and by extension a war treaty with the Orcs.
The Daggerfall Covenant controls northwest Tamriel with a strong hold on High Rock and footholds in both Skyrim and Hammerfell.
The Aldmeri Dominion consists of the High Elves, Wood Elves, and Khajiit. The Dominion is an alliance formed by the High Elves of Summerset who reached out to neighboring races when they learned of the fate of the Imperial City. They are led by Queen Ayrenn on the Altmer throne in Summerset.
The Aldmeri Dominion has a tight hold on Summerset Isle with a strong foothold in Valenwood.
The Ebonheart Pact consists of the Nord, Dark Elves, and Argonians. Their alliance was forced by invasion of the Akavari slavemasters. They are lead by the governance of The Great Moot, a council of all three races lead by High King Jorunn of Eastern Skyrim.
The Ebonheart Pact holds Morrowind with a foothold in Skyrim.
The game is also available in a special edition called The Imperial Edition. This edition includes:
- Molag Bal Statue - a 12" statue featuring Molag Bal, Daedric Prince of Domination and Enslavement
- The Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel - a 224-page illustrated guide annotated by the imperial scholar, Flaccus Terentius.
- Physical Map of Tamriel - A 21" X 26" printed map detailing Alliance-controlled zones and the ultimate conquest: Cyrodiil.
- Steel Case Packaging - A Limited Edition Steel Case decorated in the color of the Imperials
- Exclusive Collection of Digital Content:
- Play as an Imperial - Become an Imperial and play in any Alliance. Gain unique bonuses, crafting styles, gear, and more
- White Imperial Horse - Summon this Imperial mount and journey through Tamriel (In game horse, which can be bought for 1 gold.)
- Mudcrab Vanity Pet - Explore Tamriel with a mudcrab pet scuttling along your side
- Rings of Mara - Complete the Ritual of Mara with a friend and receive and experience bonus when you play together
It's also possible to get a digital upgrade to The Imperial Edition from the standard edition.