Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 04, 2014

An MMORPG set in the world of Nirn, focusing on the familiar continent of Tamriel, taking place a thousand years before The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

ESO: Morrowind announced

KoRnNuttZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KoRnNuttZ

I guess I will have to really give this a chance. Is anyone else excited about this news??

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was Morrowind not already in the game? I thought the game already had all the provinces. Also, a bit confused that it's a separate boxed product and how that will work out.

That being said, I've been meaning to give this game a try. It sounds like the developers are doing right by the community and have been making substantial improvements since launch.

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I should give this another shot? It didn't draw me in the first time I tried it.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Part of Morrowind is in there currently, but not Vvardenfell, the location of Elder Scrolls III.

Game's pretty good. I don't know if I just had my expectations lowered enough, or had waited long enough for the initial problems to be straightened out, but my time in it was fun. It's an MMO-ass MMO though, so I just don't have time for that kind of game.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

When I read the title I misread it without the O, and thought it was an announcement for a remake of Morrowind. :(

KoRnNuttZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasher27: From what I understand the Morrowind that we know has not been in ESO until now. Also if you already own the game it's $39.99 instead of the $59.99 full price

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does a trailer about Morrowind have people fighting Dwemer machines for the entire video?

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By peritus

@warlordpayne said:

Why does a trailer about Morrowind have people fighting Dwemer machines for the entire video?

Because there's a whole lot of Dwemer history in Vvardenfell.

This makes me want to try it again. Havent played it since it launched.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@warlordpayne: Beacuse Morrowind (called Dwemereth) was the homeland of the Dwemer before the Velothii Exodus claimed it as their Holy Land.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WarlordPayne

Oh, okay. I never think about the Dwemer when I think of Morrowind. I'd want all the crazy animals and shit, I've seen enough yellow automatons already.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlordpayne: Morrowind was where all the Dwemer stuff started, the whole storyline is pretty much about them and what they tried to achieve.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: The main stories in Elder Scrolls games have always been awful and I generally fell off them pretty quickly. My memories of Morrowind involve giant mushrooms and crazy bug monsters, but if they're giving fans what they want that's cool.

I'm glad the game is healthy enough to keep putting out stuff like this and it's being faithful to their established lore.

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wrote a review of this game a few months ago. I can't stress how good this MMO is right now. Easily my most highly recommended of 2016, and the support it gets is unbelievably good. Really stoked for this pack, and the 4v4v4 PvP sounds super sick.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasher27 said:

Was Morrowind not already in the game? I thought the game already had all the provinces. Also, a bit confused that it's a separate boxed product and how that will work out.

That being said, I've been meaning to give this game a try. It sounds like the developers are doing right by the community and have been making substantial improvements since launch.

Part of Morrowind is current in ESO, this expansion is the giant Volcano island, which not currently accessible.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for this no doubt, ESO has become a pretty solid game and well worth the time if you enjoy TES games.

I don't like the title though, since most of Morrowind is already in game and this is just Vvardenfell. I understand why this is the name, to pander to the TES3:Morrowind crowd(which is also my favorite game of all time) but I think the name is dumb and Vvardenfell would have drawn the same appeal.

Still excited! Anything to explore those ashlands more!

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BoOzak

TES III: Morrowind is one of my favourite games but that wont save ESO from being one of the most incredibly bland MMOs i've played. (and that's a low bar)

I dont like shitting on games but TES deserves better.

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Dude you really should try it again. I can't even begin to express how much it has improved in the last year.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BoOzak

@aiomon: I only played it a few months ago, cant have gotten that much better.

I'm glad people like it so it wasnt a complete waste of money and didnt tarnish the brand (It did for me, but I seem to be in the minority) but that game just isnt for me.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for people that like the MMO but this just seems like a misuse of Morrowind's popularity.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am excited for this expansion, but I don't know if I am going to pick it up. I truely, DESPISE how the developers changed up the levelling mechanics in this game and it has killed any real interest in going back to ESO. Then again, I can't think of many things a developer can do that annoy me worse than enemies that scale to your characters level... I would put that right up t here with 20+minute tutorials, cut-scenes you can't skip, not being able to mute the game, or console games on IOS with shitty touch controls.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: If they had called it ESO: Resdayn lorenerds (like me) the world over would have shot their load.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By big_denim

I've been eyeballing ESO for a few months now. It sounds like some of the big updates that came out in the last year really helped the game.

To those who play, is this something I could enjoy solo? I am too busy working, husbanding, and house-choring to be able to plan out raids and get togethers with others each night.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a big fan of Morrowind and having not played ESO, this didn't really do anything for me. That theme song still sounds dope though.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

I know one person who is very excited.

Loading Video...

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: I mostly solo. I basically played it like a single player Elder Scrolls game that was a bit more grindy. Really enjoyed it. But if you want add me on steam, the name is Aiomon and we can play a bit together when I have some time :)

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aiomon: Sounds good! I'll shoot you a PM if I end up picking the game up. Will probably wait until it goes on sale next before jumping on it.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played ESO. My understanding of this is that I can buy this $60 Morrowind expansion version and it'll let me play the main game and the content of this expansion? Cause that's all I want.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Just hurry up with ES6 already!

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@jonny_anonymous said:

@warlordpayne: Morrowind was where all the Dwemer stuff started, the whole storyline is pretty much about them and what they tried to achieve.

Huh, this game takes place before ES III too doesn't it? So that one dwemer you meet could still be alive, or maybe even others too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Gonna be a long time until that happens.

@jaycrockett: Yagrum could be in the game but I'm not sure, since they are saying the "blight" of Red Mountain hasn't really started yet at this point in time, so I don't know where he would be if not in the quarantine area.

@jesus_phish: Correct. The 60 buck package comes with the base game (which is quite large) and the Vvardenfell expansion, and thanks to the One Tamriel patch making every zone match your level, if all you wanted to do was see Vvardenfell you could make a level 1 and start there and be completely fine.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: After E3 last year Todd Howard says TES6 is a very long ways off, they barely have a base vision of what they want it to be and don't have any work going into it at this time.

http://kotaku.com/todd-howard-says-elder-scrolls-vi-is-a-very-long-way-of-1781902765

All this is ok to me though, FO4 was a massive disappointment to me and if the next Elder Scrolls would have just been more that, I would have hated it. They can take all the time they want.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: on no, was hoping it might have been this year, or next at latest.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: I would be shocked if we saw it before 2020. Their engine and style of games feel very very dated and if they want to continue to take the gaming world by storm they need to re-evaluate pretty hard. Especially due to some of the RPGs that came out since Skyrim that change the playing ground in terms of story and world (Witcher 3 for example).

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycrockett: Yep, you also kind of maybe meet a Dwemer on in Orsinium.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: I would be shocked if we saw it before 2020. Their engine and style of games feel very very dated and if they want to continue to take the gaming world by storm they need to re-evaluate pretty hard. Especially due to some of the RPGs that came out since Skyrim that change the playing ground in terms of story and world (Witcher 3 for example).

Todd also said Beth have 3 new IPs that they are working on. I can totally understand that they must be sick to death of making the same games year after year and having something new to work on must be refreshing.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. I tried the game I just didn't really like it. If anything, it made me want to play Skyrim again. Which I did when that Special Edition came out and have it modded to the balls and it's perfect. I'd rather go back to that.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By joshth

I've never understood why so many people completely dismiss ESO. I think it's one of the best MMO's out there currently (at least for what I'm looking for). It certainly has the best story content in an MMO outside of Star Wars: The Old Republic. I also think it gets the big open world thing better than just about any other MMO. But maybe that's just me.

Anyhow, definitely excited for this update!

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I never played this game and this gets me excited to try it out.

junkiiiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I see a video or news about this game it makes me want to go back even though I usually abandon it like I do every other MMO.

This video did get me hyped on the game until I realized that combat in ESO is nowhere near that good.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I've tried several times to get into ESO, seeing as how I love the single-player Elder Scrolls games. It just never stuck. I didn't like the way the gameplay felt at all. Normal Elder Scrolls games have never felt great, but ESO felt Elder Scrolls-clunky PLUS floaty and insubstantial. Like weapons having no impact. It just wasn't very engaging.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshth: It had a fucking horrible launch + year one. It was buggy, full of hackers, a lot of quality of life issues were present, and it just didn't do enough to put itself ahead of other MMOs and make it worth ones time. I built a new PC specifically for ESO at launch and it was a huge bummer.

Thankfully they turned it all around and then some and now I think the game is freaking fantastic. That being said, the hardest thing in the world for a game to ask for is a second chance, doubly so when the game is an MMO, an niche market with a ever-degrading playerbase. Publications aren't really going to go out of their way to re-review an MMO either, so for example the GB quick look shows the mediocrity of ESO at launch and rightfully captures how the game was at that moment, and I wouldn't expect GB to put time and effort into looking back into it later after that impression.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it free to play yet and can you actually tame a bear?

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerpanda: You have to buy the game but it has no subscription fee. The new class added in the Morrowind expansion has a bear companion.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#45 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I have enjoyed what time I have played ESO, I might pick this up, would be nice to see a non-destroyed/red blight Vvardenfell

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its unfortunate that this is coming 2 weeks before FFXIV Stormblood, otherwise I'd probably give it a shot.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Pretty CG trailer. Shame the game doesn't look like that.

Oh well, back to fawning over Skywind.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By big_denim

Does anyone know if there is a Giant Bomb guild for PC players? I just picked this up and am looking to join a chill guild with slightly older players. Feel like GB is the perfect community for that :)

EDIT: I searched the forums and didn't see anything. I can create one for us if anyone else has interest in joining? I'm not level 10 yet though, so I don't think I can make it yet :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.