New Elder Scrolls Online video.

• 58 results
#1 Edited by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -

I know there has been a ton of hate thrown at this game since it was announced, and I am certain I will not be playing this as mmo fatigue has been plaguing me for a few years now. I am curious though to see what you guys think of this new video which details combat, environments, gameplay mechanics and several other tidbits from the developers.

#2 Posted by leinad44 (523 posts) -

This video was actually boring to watch. It's a bad time to release an MMO.

#3 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Looks intriguing, but so did that Conan MMO.

#4 Posted by Sackmanjones (4739 posts) -

Ugh.

#5 Posted by cmblasko (1281 posts) -

That video makes me feel really bad for the guys at ZeniMax Online. It is clear that they are putting a lot of thought into how to differentiate the game from WoW, but I just don't think it is going to be enough to entice those who are burnt out on MMOs. I really hope they get another chance in the event that the game sells poorly.

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -

Personally, if I'm going to play a Warcraft-like MMO, I'm going to play Warcraft.

#7 Posted by Icebuncle (50 posts) -

It -looks- pretty, but I'm not feeling any innovation here that will make this game stand out on the MMO market.

It would be interesting to explore the Elder Scrolls world/universe more, so that might appeal to fans of the series. Other than that I don't see players running to buy this game.

#8 Posted by SlashDance (1827 posts) -

It looks good at least. I like the Elder Scrolls lore so I might check it out.

#9 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Not hearing about this game in a while had irrationally raised its potential in my mind, but this reminds me that it definitely shouldn't exist.

#10 Posted by project343 (2833 posts) -

The environments look stunning, but they are going to have to overhaul that combat system if they want this to be a success. The sound effects and non-existent reaction animations to being hit look like dealbreakers.

@SathingtonWaltz said:

Looks intriguing, but so did that Conan MMO.

Kevin VanOrd is going to come in this thread and give you such a wallop.

#11 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

It does look very nice, I really liked some of the lighting in areas. I'm extremely sceptical of this mega server thing but I'll wait and see if they do a video about it before making my mind up. I was very cynical when this was first announced but they look like they're doing the best they can do translate the Elder Scrolls to an MMO. I still don't think it's a good idea but at least it's got passion behind it.

#12 Posted by sixpin (1297 posts) -

Never wanted this to exist in the first place. A MMO style of game is the farthest thing from why I play Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles. I gave up on caring about MMOs years ago anyway, so it probably just isn't for me.

Sounds like they are implementing the old "holy trinity" of class systems as well, so this:

@TooWalrus said:

Personally, if I'm going to play a Warcraft-like MMO, I'm going to play Warcraft.

#13 Posted by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

I don't know. I feel bad for them. I never wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO. I just wanted to occasionally trade items and services with friends in a proper Elder Scrolls game.

#14 Posted by Illuminosopher (334 posts) -

Waste of manpower and resources.

#15 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1233 posts) -

Looks good? How? When they showed the Skyrim enviroment I couldn't help but think that it looks like an old, shitty, Skyrim. Expect combat to be sluggish as well (same engine as SWTOR).

#16 Edited by Bollard (5661 posts) -

Wow it looks like they've done a shitton of work since E3 to make this actually look artistically like an Elder Scrolls game. Before it was generic as hell.

Shame multiplayer is the last thing I'd ever want in an Elder Scrolls game. The way I like to play is sneaking round stabbing dudes in the back, robbing places and just exploring the world and building design. I like seeing shit and just walking about, I don't want a bunch of idiots throwing magic and shit about while I'm trying to enjoy a view. I take my ES games very relaxed, and having other people is not gunna help.

EDIT: Oh and it seems they've taken a fair few leaves out of GW2's book, with that PvP gameplay and all.

#17 Edited by commonoutlier (136 posts) -

If it plays like the actual Elder Scroll games as far as mechanics go, I'll probably give it a look...but I'm not entirely sure it will be at this point. I do like how he was saying they would allow for having different specialties, since I really liked being a mage and an archer in Skyrim (although obviously that's not something original to this MMO)...but I'm not sure if at this point there will be the ability to play it from the first person perspective, which is my preference. If it's going to be in 3rd person, I think I'd want the combat to feel like Dark Souls more than Elder Scrolls. I suppose actually what would best for the game is to offer a wider variety of what a player could do in the game instead of just focusing on combat.

Honestly, though, I think just having co-op (NOT just your standard PvP multiplayer) would be much more interesting in the Elder Scroll (and Fallout) games...I feel like they could do a lot of interesting narratives involving the choices from two (or more) people instead of one.

#18 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

No thank you.

#19 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I feel bad for the people who get told to make a mmo, and then get fired when it tanks.

Why no first person view with the shield combat like in actual elder scrolls games? Did they ever give some reason as to why they chose to just make it like any other mmo? I bet doing that would have gotten them a bunch more players.

#20 Posted by Bane (428 posts) -

I don't play multiplayer games, but I'll try this one out simply because of my love for the Elder Scrolls universe. I did the same thing with Star Trek Online and had a good time so I would expect the same thing to happen here.

#21 Posted by Subjugation (4725 posts) -

PvP looks like they've been watching GW2, or possibly DAoC before it. I'd probably check this out if it was F2P, but I'm totally over the days of subscription-based MMOs. I don't have the time to allow for me to feel like I'm getting enough out of my investment.

#22 Posted by Turambar (6808 posts) -

Fantasy worlds are always amusing in that a thousand years of in world progression leads to zero difference in technology, architecture, the works.

#23 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

It seems cool but it can't have a subscription, and much of what he says you just get a Guild Wars 2 vibe. I will buy it I like the idea of exploring that world all of it.

#24 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2995 posts) -

@addictedtopinescent said:

I feel bad for the people who get told to make a mmo, and then get fired when it tanks.

Why no first person view with the shield combat like in actual elder scrolls games? Did they ever give some reason as to why they chose to just make it like any other mmo? I bet doing that would have gotten them a bunch more players.

these are two things I have heard jeff discuss on podcasts before. One, the business decisions were likely made when it seemed like MMO's were a fair bet and that they might be the future of video gaming or some such thing. People used to think beating world of warcraft at their own game was possible and that's likely when the business decisions for this game were made.

Secondly you need some predictability to the actions you take in order for it to work as a massively multiplayer game. Unless you would have it be a sandbox of thousands of people all persuing their solo games and sometimes butting into eachother or something, you need some sort of system that allows players a simple way for players to accomplish a common combat goal. Also it would take a lot of server resources and be very difficult for peoples' clients to stay in sync if you had to track 3d space hit boxes and swords, shields, arrows etc.

#25 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I want to believe.

#26 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

will i play a MMO elder scrolls? no.

I would like to play something like say 4-6 player co-op in an elder scrolls game. I think that would be interesting.

#27 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I thought it was a bad idea too, but I'm interested.

@addictedtopinescent said:

Why no first person view with the shield combat like in actual elder scrolls games?

I heard that there will be first person view.

#28 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3428 posts) -

Man oh man does this game make me sad.

It's just too late. This genre, in this format, has come and gone. Have they announced the pay model for this game yet? I imagine F2P. I hope for the sake of everyone who made this game that it does well enough that they don't axe the team, but I probably won't be seen anywhere near it.

#29 Edited by Tennmuerti (8136 posts) -

In every ES game i've played eventually my character became a veritable god, then i eventually dug into mods to truly be a god. That's the ES essence for me. Any sort of heavy restriction (like need for balance in an MMO) instantly kills any positive feelings I might have had. And jezas the amount of MMO jargon these guys are throwing around in a promo video is not filling me with confidence, out of the initial state of apathy towards this mmo. It would also be kinda sad to play a worse looking version of Skyrim

GW2 looked far more promising, and that was pretty much my last hope to maybe reignite the mmo spark in me.

#30 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

This. Why do these clowns keep trying the same goddamn formula when it hasn't worked in 5 years? Nobody will "beat" WoW except themselves, and if the kids finally realize how much time they're wasting on it :(

#31 Posted by JesterPC238 (344 posts) -

This trailer gives me hope. I understand that most people will shit on this game because it is another MMO, but I like the enthusiasm from the devs, and the Elder Scrolls is my favorite series, so I'll be there on launch day. My biggest concern was combat, and it looks like they are making it at least semi real time, aside from that PvP and Questing sound nearly identical to GW2, which might be my game of the year, so I'm OK with that.

#32 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I like Elder Scrolls lore, I like this games look, I don't like modern MMOs, the idea of a "mega server" seems bad.

I feel like this is another TOR situation where people would have rather got another KOTOR game and resented the MMO part.

#33 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -

This game is gonna tank so hard and Bethesda are going to lose a ton of money on it.

#34 Posted by BaneFireLord (2949 posts) -

Yay, my favorite franchise has been bastardized in service of chasing a market that has been dead for years.

#35 Edited by Itwastuesday (973 posts) -

what's the point of coming into the genre with an IP like Elder Scrolls, with tons of history and its own original ideas to draw on, if you're just going to Blizzard up your art style anyway?

#36 Edited by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

There is no way this will survive as a subscription game, Bethesda please save the series the shame and find some other model to start with. I think they should just try $60 but with a notice that to continue the game online past 6 months you need to buy the expansions.

EDIT: They could also be nice and let people run private servers for the game without all the expansions. I mean I don't think many will use those but it's a good PR move.

#37 Posted by HappyCheeze (101 posts) -

For me, playing the Elder Scrolls games has always been a personal, single player experience. I think the on the bombcast Patrick said he'd love to have 2-4 player coop on it, I think that would be more interesting and enjoyable for a multiplayer/coop experience. The idea of running around Tamriel with a group or guild just seems weird to me.

#38 Posted by Ares42 (2727 posts) -

Unfortunately they seemed to have missed the point almost every other MMO out there missed too, there needs to be good solid multiplayer gameplay at the core of it all. TES have never been a series that's been praised for it's good, fun gameplay systems, but rather the great experience around it. Saying they're using TES style combat makes me extremely uneasy about this game. The idea that you can just take a singleplayer game, put more people into it and it will magically become better has been proven wrong too many times at this point.

#39 Posted by Christoffer (1860 posts) -

I don't know what to think about promo mmo videos anymore. They all look kind of cool, but deep within your heart (maybe not that deep) you know... you know.

But man... megaservers, think about it.

#40 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

will i play a MMO elder scrolls? no.

I would like to play something like say 4-6 player co-op in an elder scrolls game. I think that would be interesting.

I like this idea way more than the traditional mmo they going for, it's one of the reasons I loved Guild Wars 1 so much.

#41 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

MMOs aren't my thing, so it's an immediate no-go for me. Still, what I did like was the large number of characters on-screen, and the larger feel of the battles--things which are conspicuously absent from single-player Elder Scrolls games. There's just something wrong about going into one of Skyrim's battles and having a half dozen guys with you. Silly. So I'm hoping they translate that feel to whatever single-player Elder Scrolls game they come up with next, which should be sometime in 2016.

I'm still struggling over who the hell the market is for this game. I know a lot of people who play Elder Scrolls games, but none of them wanted an MMO. I wish them the best of luck, but I sense this is going to be a massive waste of time and effort.

#42 Posted by Marcsman (3227 posts) -

I cannot see how this game ships without a shitload of bugs. Pass for me

#43 Edited by Nights (615 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

Unfortunately they seemed to have missed the point almost every other MMO out there missed too, there needs to be good solid multiplayer gameplay at the core of it all. TES have never been a series that's been praised for it's good, fun gameplay systems, but rather the great experience around it. Saying they're using TES style combat makes me extremely uneasy about this game. The idea that you can just take a singleplayer game, put more people into it and it will magically become better has been proven wrong too many times at this point.

Except that's not what they're doing at all. If they were, there wouldn't have been such a public outcry. I understand you can't just lift Skyrim and place it into a massively-multiplayer setting and expect it to work, but I feel they could have taken a few more risks with TESO. Instead, they played it safe like the majority of MMO developers in the last 6-7 years. If MMOs are dead, it's because the suits and uncreative developers have killed it. Companies are finally taking the hint that they can't just take WoW's formula, slap on a new or existing IP, churn out their themepark-mmo-with-a-twist and it expect to be a massive success. Here's looking at you, SWTOR. If they'd stop pumping out derivative, linear, themepark MMOs that the majority of users lose interest in within a month or two, maybe they'd be more successful. Variety is the spice of life.

Back to your original point, I agree that MMOs should focus more on the multiplayer/world/social interaction within their game. Lately, developers go on and on about how fantastic their story lines are in their games. Honestly, who cares? Stories have a beginning and an end, they lack longevity. If I want to experience an epic, personalized story by myself, I wouldn't be playing an MMO to begin with. I hate to keep hitting SWTOR over the head, but that was their main pitfall. They focused so much time, energy and money on creating fully voiced quests/profession story lines, they sort of forgot the rest of the game. It also becomes increasingly difficult to pump out new content on a regular basis, as VO work and dialogue uses up a lot of resources.

#44 Edited by EXTomar (4841 posts) -

The has been and still is that heavy story RPGs like the entire world of Elder Scrolls doesn't actually work well with modern MMO system design. The more I think about it the more I favor a Borderlands style system for this game where you can run the main story with a group of your friends instead of a MMO.

Also I am afraid of this game will hit the problem SWTOR had where by the time they release it will feel outdated. For instance Rift (!!), GW2, and WoW are releasing their own personal housing systems they'll arrive just in time to go "Well we don't have that yet but we have decades of lore to draw from!"

#45 Posted by Ares42 (2727 posts) -

@HumanoidTyphoon said:

@Ares42 said:

Except that's not what they're doing at all.

They aren't ? They seemed to be pretty clear in the video that the game will be using a TES style combat system, not your standard ability-bar, cooldown based MMO-style combat. It might just be PR lies though, I really wouldn't know.

#46 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

TES Online: the game nobody asked for

#47 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

I've been waiting for a MMO(RPG) to hit the PS3, so for me this will be a definite buy :]

#48 Posted by PhantomGardener (464 posts) -

I don't think I have ever seen an MMORPG get so much hate before its even out.

I love The Elder Scrolls universe, in fact its my favorite fantasy game universe, and if this game lets me explore all of it, you can count me in.

#49 Edited by Nights (615 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

@HumanoidTyphoon said:

@Ares42 said:

Except that's not what they're doing at all.

They aren't ? They seemed to be pretty clear in the video that the game will be using a TES style combat system, not your standard ability-bar, cooldown based MMO-style combat. It might just be PR lies though, I really wouldn't know.

I suppose I meant more from a general design philosophy standpoint. You're right in that the combat is definitely more active, though based on what I've read, not as active as say, TERA or even Guild Wars 2 in some respects. Massively claimed there was no way to dodge projectiles or arrows, perhaps he was misinformed. They said they're working on a first person view, but I'm not sure of the limitations in regards to combat. Plenty of MMOs have a FPS view. The main difference is that TESO is designed from the ground up to be played in the third person.

#50 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

@Morrow said:

I've been waiting for a MMO(RPG) to hit the PS3, so for me this will be a definite buy :]

I don't think it has been announced for consoles. Maybe you're thinking of FF14?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.