New Elder Scrolls Online video.

  • 58 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Beb (245 posts) -

This feels like another SW:TOR to me. The draw of elder scrolls games, for me, is the ability to take ownership of the 'story' and the ability to become a badass by breaking the game systems. If I can't one-shot snipe all enemies and players from stealth without being detected, and pick the buildings clean of silverware, then it's not an elders rolls game.

#52 Posted by Zereta (1366 posts) -

This actually doesn't look all that bad. I choose to be optimistic. More Elder Scrolls is always nice.

#53 Posted by EXTomar (4722 posts) -

@Zereta said:

This actually doesn't look all that bad. I choose to be optimistic. More Elder Scrolls is always nice.

But would you like an entirely new standalone game or a MMO? I suspect many people who want a new ES game frankly don't care about MMO trappings and would be frustrated by them.

#54 Posted by Zereta (1366 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

@Zereta said:

This actually doesn't look all that bad. I choose to be optimistic. More Elder Scrolls is always nice.

But would you like an entirely new standalone game or a MMO? I suspect many people who want a new ES game frankly don't care about MMO trappings and would be frustrated by them.

While I personally would prefer a standalone single player games (I never needed co-op and multiplayer in my TES), I am not opposed to the idea of MMOs. Say what you will about The Old Republic but that game showed how to do amazing story in a MMO. If they can pull the same thing off in TESO with the same sense of exploration as the core franchise games, they'll have a killer hit in my eyes.

The other thing is pricing. SW: TOR came about in a tough spot and learnt the lesson the hard way: Non subscription based MMOs are the future. Be it completely F2P or a Guild Wars like system, TESO will fail at launch if it wants a subscription. More so than anything, the pricing model will make ore break the game, not just with the public but with me personally as well.

#55 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@ExplodeMode said:

@Morrow said:

I've been waiting for a MMO(RPG) to hit the PS3, so for me this will be a definite buy :]

I don't think it has been announced for consoles. Maybe you're thinking of FF14?

Oh noes D:

I thought because Oblivion and Skyrim were for consoles they'd make this one too... ._.

FF14 is also something to look forward to, though.

#56 Edited by EXTomar (4722 posts) -

@Zereta said:

@EXTomar said:

@Zereta said:

This actually doesn't look all that bad. I choose to be optimistic. More Elder Scrolls is always nice.

But would you like an entirely new standalone game or a MMO? I suspect many people who want a new ES game frankly don't care about MMO trappings and would be frustrated by them.

While I personally would prefer a standalone single player games (I never needed co-op and multiplayer in my TES), I am not opposed to the idea of MMOs. Say what you will about The Old Republic but that game showed how to do amazing story in a MMO. If they can pull the same thing off in TESO with the same sense of exploration as the core franchise games, they'll have a killer hit in my eyes.

The other thing is pricing. SW: TOR came about in a tough spot and learnt the lesson the hard way: Non subscription based MMOs are the future. Be it completely F2P or a Guild Wars like system, TESO will fail at launch if it wants a subscription. More so than anything, the pricing model will make ore break the game, not just with the public but with me personally as well.

But the problem with SWTOR and the way it does the story is a lesson Blizzard learned with way years ago. Players like story but dislike being held hostage to it where they especially dislike if it is another player's story. Guild Wars 2 seems to have the best approach to this but WoW also keeps the quest goals simple while layering the story on with scenes. What you don't want to do is lock the player into conversations that take minutes to complete and wait for feed back which is what SWTOR does and what many Bethesda games do.

Players joke about how terrible killing rats for N rat tails but going to the other extreme with an intricate time consuming series of dialog, cut scenes, that needs specific player feedback is not desirable either especially in a group situation.

#57 Posted by Zereta (1366 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

@Zereta said:

@EXTomar said:

@Zereta said:

This actually doesn't look all that bad. I choose to be optimistic. More Elder Scrolls is always nice.

But would you like an entirely new standalone game or a MMO? I suspect many people who want a new ES game frankly don't care about MMO trappings and would be frustrated by them.

While I personally would prefer a standalone single player games (I never needed co-op and multiplayer in my TES), I am not opposed to the idea of MMOs. Say what you will about The Old Republic but that game showed how to do amazing story in a MMO. If they can pull the same thing off in TESO with the same sense of exploration as the core franchise games, they'll have a killer hit in my eyes.

The other thing is pricing. SW: TOR came about in a tough spot and learnt the lesson the hard way: Non subscription based MMOs are the future. Be it completely F2P or a Guild Wars like system, TESO will fail at launch if it wants a subscription. More so than anything, the pricing model will make ore break the game, not just with the public but with me personally as well.

But the problem with SWTOR and the way it does the story is a lesson Blizzard learned with way years ago. Players like story but dislike being held hostage to it where they especially dislike if it is another player's story. Guild Wars 2 seems to have the best approach to this but WoW also keeps the quest goals simple while layering the story on with scenes. What you don't want to do is lock the player into conversations that take minutes to complete and wait for feed back which is what SWTOR does and what many Bethesda games do.

Players joke about how terrible killing rats for N rat tails but going to the other extreme with an intricate time consuming series of dialog, cut scenes, that needs specific player feedback is not desirable either especially in a group situation.

I think that's where I'm different. I play games primarily for the story content, the multiplayer aspects are secondary. Which is why even though the way TES games handle conversations are bad, I let it slide personally because the story content I am receiving is top notch quality.

SWTOR's story delivery method, while forced and intrusive, is something I like. I rather have a fully fledged and well delivered story than simple layered plot elements. Its one of the reasons why early WOW never stuck with me.

Guild Wars 2 finds a nice balance and if done right, could be applicable to a TES game but as it stands, I wouldn't mind, personally again, conversations were I'm locked in

Also, I felt how The Old Republic dealt with group dialog was smart. Whether it worked out perfectly in practice all the time, I don't know. But as a concept, it made sense to me.

#58 Edited by EXTomar (4722 posts) -

Again the issue isn't that SWTOR failed or had couldn't deliver a big story but that doing it that way never works well in a MMO. When people are in a team based environment, one thing they can't afford to is have 1 player off locked into a length dialog sequence that interferes with anyone else playing. The way GW2 and WoW handle story lines are they are unfolded in the instance more like a scenario with scripted scenes, events and no choices. One would think this is bad or a serious limitation until one realizes that in a MMO they are going to encounter the same instance-scenario multiple times across their own characters along with friend's characters. At that point it makes little sense to force such a constraint once let alone several times.

Intricate story with complex choices work really well in other games (The Witcher comes to mind immediately) but it just doesn't work well in a MMO because when you've come back to the same spot for the Nth time the magic has evaporated and you just want to get through it. Several other MMOs have tried this where SWTOR is just the most recent and visible to try to do story like this and it just doesn't work. TESO should stay far the hell away from doing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.