Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 04, 2014

An MMORPG set in the world of Nirn, focusing on the familiar continent of Tamriel, taking place a thousand years before The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

So I saw the trailer.....

Thanatos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Thanatos3

And thought it was Dragon Age for a bit before thinking oh wait the other one was Elder Scrolls (I know DA:III is still a while off). But why does all medevil fantasy have to seem the same. A human, elf, and dwarf races facing off. Is there some law that says that all medevil fantasy has to do its darndest to go "Yeah its basically alot like Middle Earth but hey there are more people saying "fuck" here and the design of the orcs is different you see". Why cant games (which rely on gameplay to engage players as well as story, well sometimes story) come up with a more varied palette of races and cultures to explore like Guild Wars II did somewhat with some big cat people and those asura things that seemed borrowed from FF XI but still it seemed like more than what these always give: "We read LOTR and thought it would be cooler with this!"

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I'm going to assume you've never played Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim. The "Human" was a breton, the elf was a High elf (But I'll be honest it did look like a generic fantasy elf) and the "dwarf" was a Nord. The real "Humans" would be Imperials and they are not playable in the game since they're the main enemy. The races you can play are actually quite diverse aside from 3 elves. Here watch this:

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

Space fantasy needs to be a genre. Spantasy.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Funkydupe

Space fantasy works. I like it. Spice it up with some technology. I like gadgets that go beep and there's a few lights blinking on and off.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Nasos100

Elder Scrolls for me is a religion and MMOs are the shit

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By veektarius

Wait, the imperials are the bad guys? That explains why the trailer looked like I was supposed to be rooting for that generic elf assassin dude. Too bad for Zenimax Online that I always side with the imperials. No Imperials, no sale.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I appreciate that Elder Scrolls lore mostly uses the term "race" to delineate actual, different races (e.g. breton vs. nord). It sucks that they don't just go all the way and use "species" to distinguish between, say, an argonian and an orc. 

Yes, this is literally my biggest problem with fantasy genre tropes. I have epitomized first-world problems.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arabes

@Thanatos3: You're right dude, you very rarely get a truly interesting fantasy world. I'd guess it's cause they are afraid of alienating people by doing something truly weird. I always thought a fantasy setting based off South American cultures would be a good compromise between pretty goddam weird while still being some what relateable. I doubt it'll ever happen though. Most fantasy just likes to stick with the standard medieval, lord of the rings type stuff - it's safe.

Basilisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Basilisk

@Breadfan: Warhammer 40K is the king of spantasy. You basically have a bunch of 12 foot tall, genetically engineered space paladins going around on behalf of a once ultra powerful warrior-pope now in techno-traction, purging the galaxy of space ork fungusmen and a wide variety of other spantasy favorites. There's also mecha and regular man is depicted as some ultra-cruel soviet regime.

Spantasy
    Spantasy
    Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tiamatsword22
    @Arabes

@Thanatos3: You're right dude, you very rarely get a truly interesting fantasy world. I'd guess it's cause they are afraid of alienating people by doing something truly weird. I always thought a fantasy setting based off South American cultures would be a good compromise between pretty goddam weird while still being some what relateable. I doubt it'll ever happen though. Most fantasy just likes to stick with the standard medieval, lord of the rings type stuff - it's safe.

Warhammer has Meso-Americanish stuff in it.

If you get way too into it, the elder scrolls stuff is probably the least "generic" of video game fantasy nonsense.

Also people use generic way too often when talking about fantasy junk just cause they see a dude in armor using a sword.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Elder Scrolls has some pretty outstanding politics compared to most fantasy out there. Whereas most fantasy deals with gravity defying handsome/buxom heroes that do cool shit in cutscenes via Blizzard and Japanese RPGs, Bethesda's universe entails a more timid approach to how things are portrayed. Fast paced, acrobatic actions scenes aren't a thing in the Elder Scrolls world; it's more so the atmosphere, the people, the culture, the politics, the walking, and the slow fighting that constitute the Elder Scrolls which is why I really don't like that trailer for TESO. It speaks nothing about The Elder Scrolls. It just says "Hey, I'm a CGI cutscene for an MMO! Here's lots of fucking fight scenes that little kids can enjoy!"

Pathetic.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chrissedoff

@TheMustacheHero: It's weird that the Imperials are the enemy after Skyrim set up the Altmer as freedom-hating racists.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By FilipHolm

@Nasos100 said:

Elder Scrolls for me is a religion and MMOs are the shit

I totally see what you did there

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Breadfan: @Funkydupe: Science Fantasy is a genre, it's what Star Wars is.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@chrissedoff: This is set a couple thousand years before all that

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

All they had to do was keep the 1st person perspective and I would of spent at least a few months in it. It just doesn't look like a Elder Scrolls game, I would rather have a 4 player Skyrim than this.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By veektarius

@Bourbon_Warrior:

If they could manage it right, co-op Elder Scrolls would be about the best thing ever, so saying that this is worse isn't so bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.