#1 Edited by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472749

Evidence: http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#0

-Releasing 2013 for PC/Mac

-Developed by ZeniMax Online Studios

-MMORPG

-250 Person Team

-Started development in 2007

-"This time, saving the world from the awakening of ancient evil is only the beginning. What happens when hundreds or thousands of prophesied heroes all think that they should be Emperor?"

-The game is fully voice acted

-Third person perspective

-The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs

-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR

-The general art style is kind of like RIFT or Everquest 2

-You can't be a werewolf or vampire

-Crafting, alchemy, and soul stones will exist in an unrevealed form

-There will be Daedric Princes like Molag Bal, the primary antagonist, and Vaermina, "whose sphere of influence extends to the dream world and the nightmares of mortals", along with some unnamed others

-Constellations will be in the game a la Mundus stones (which work like guardian stones) and also give the answer to things like block puzzles where you step on the blocks in a certain order

-Tons of towns ranging from Imperial City, Windhelm, Daggerfall, Sentinel, Mournhold, Ebonheart, Elden Root, Shornhelm, Evermore, Riften, and a lot more

-Radiant AI will not be present

-There will be mounts, but no flying mounts

-Fast travel exists in the game in the form of wayshrines, which are also your ressurection point, and you can teleport from one wayshrine to any other wayshrine you have already visited

-There most likely won't be dragons

-Sneaking will be in the game, but how it is implemented is undecided

-They're not talking about pets right now

-There will be no player housing

-There will be no NPC romances or marriage

-"It needs to be comfortable for people who are comign in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms, but it also has to appeal to Skyrim players."

-Features most of Tamriel including Skyrim, Morrowind, Summerset Isle, and Elseweyr.

-"Not all provinces are included in their entirety; Zenimax Online is keeping large areas inaccessible to save them for use as expansion content. Nonetheless, every major area is represented to some extent."

-As an example, Windhelm is fully implemented, but Winterhold and the mages' college won't be in at launch.

-There are three player factions:

--Ebonheart Pact: The Nords, Dunmer, and Argoninans

--Aldmeri Dominion: Altmer, Bosmer, and Khajit

--Daggerfall Covenant: Bretons, Redguard, and Orcs

-"Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world."

-As such, the game uses a hubless design

-For example, you don't necessarily pick up a quest to do the following, but if you kill all the necromancers in an undead barrow, a shade you free at the end will reward you.

-However, to help you find these events, various NPCs you talk to will tell you where they are happening and put a marker pointing them on your map, which is obviously totally different than receiving a quest.

-Not all quests will have NPCs that indicate where they are

-The game uses MMORPG genre standards such as classes, experience points, and other traditional MMORPG progression mechanics, but they try to present it "around the core fantasy presented by traditiona Elder Scrolls games" such as traveling around and righting wrongs or seeking riches

-The game world is very large relative to Skyrim

-You can explore almost anything you can see

-the game is set 1000 years in the past

-You can't master every discipline

-The imperials are an enemy to all three factions, lead by the noble Tharn family and the King of Worms, Mannimarco, and are hatching a plot to take over all of Tamriel

-But BEHOLD, Mannicmarco is scheming with Daedric prince Molag Bal to take over the world behind the Tharn's back

-Also, your soul has already been stolen by Molag Bal, which is the reason you can come back from death over and over again, and the starting plot is that you're fighting Molag Bal to get your soul back from him

-Hitting the level cap takes about 120 hours

-Each faction has their own leveling content

-An example quest is the story of Camlorn, where you have to stop evil werewolves who have their eyes set on conquest. First, you have to do a "standard MMO kill and collection quest" to sto ghosts from attacking some mages and soldiers. The ghosts are reliving a battle that the werewolf leader was in. You summon a ghost to find out what's going on, and the ghost tells you to wear her dead husband's armor to re-experience the battle he died in. You then get transported hundreds of years into the past to fight this battle. During this battle, you can choose to save the dead man's wife or to pursue the Werewolf leader. ZeniMax chooses to save the man's wife, who then tells you that the Werewolf leader is weak to fire. This information is helpful when you fight him, but you don't actually need to do this quest before fighting the werewolf leader if you don't want to. Basically, you can skip parts of quest chains if you want, but you get some benefit for playing the whole thing. Also, whenever you go back to the town you just saved, everything there hails you as a hero.

-The game features three faction PvP where you fight to take over keeps and use trebuchets and other siege weapons to help do it. At the high end, you can have 100 v 100 battles. There are also farms and mines you can try to take over. Mots of this happens in Cyrodiil where your goal is to take over and hold the Imperial City to get faction wide bonuses for it. If you have played Dark Age of Camelot, this probably sounds familiar. For those who haven't, essentially the entire zone is a giant PvP area will all sorts of points of interest.

-The most accomplished PvP player on your faction becomes emperor whenever you take over the capital

-When you take over Cyrodiil, you will be able to adventure in it as a hostile city a la Kvatch

-The game will have raids and heroic modes for its dungeons as end game content in addition to faction PvP

-There is also balanced PvP for people who prefer eSports

-The game will also have high end public dungeons

-Public dungeons are essentially instances that aren't actually instanced, so anyone can be in them, so imagine a World of Warcraft dungeon that featured everyone on the server in the area instead of just your party

-There are standard instanced dungeons as well

-Back on the topic of the skillbar, you have a limited number of skills you can use at any given time, and can change them whenever you're out of combat

-The number of skills is equal to (paraphrase) "a light and heavy attack with your current weapon that take up the first two slots, a few more spells related to your class, and an ultimate in the last slot".

-The ultimate is used once you gain enough finesse, which is earned by doing well in combat

-You also get a bonus loot chest if you're soloing and max your finesse, and you can also build finesse by comboing with other players

-For example, a rogue can put oil on the ground that a mage can set on fire

-A fighter can also spin in the firestorm a mage puts down, which sends out fireballs

-If you've seen Guild Wars 2 videos, the above will seem familiar

-You can't combo with the abilities of enemy players though, so if an enemy faction player drops an oil slick, you can't set it on fire

-The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood will be presented, but in what form isn't detailed as their contnet is hard to recreate in an MMO setting

-NPCs will try to work together and use player like behavior when fighting you, and (at least to my understanding) have stamina as well

-They want the AI to be good, so instead of enemies in a dungeon sitting around and waiting to be pulled, you will be attacked by the entire room and they will try to react to how you are playing

-The claim was not demo'ed to Game Informer

-You destroy dark anchors to gain reputation with the Fighter's Guild. They are large hooks that fall from the sky pseudorandomly and have Daedric guardians next to them. They are easier to kill with a group, and once destroyed, everyone who participated gets a reputation boost with the Fighter's Guild, and eventually nets you rewards like new skills and abilities.

-The combat model will not be real time due to latency

-The combat is based around a stamina bar which you can use to sprint, block, interrupt, and break incapacitating effects

-Blocking is the primary focus of these abilities, and can do things like stopping the secondary effects of attacks such as an ice spell slowing you

-Stamina also applies to PvP, so stamina management (and wearing down your enemy's stamina) is important, as your crowd control abilities might be on a long cooldown, and if you use them before the enemy player runs out of stamina, they will probably just block the effect

-ZeniMax feels that having the stamina bar will help break down the Holy Trinity as stamina allows you to do things like tank

-However, healing is still a big part of the game

-There is also no aggro mechanic in the game, which is part of the reason stamina blocking and healing exist

#2 Edited by mandude (2668 posts) -

How reliable is this information? It strips away everything that made TES great, and all we're left with is the substandard writing.

#3 Posted by Grimhild (721 posts) -

@mandude said:

It strips away everything that made TES great, and all we're left with is the substandard writing.

QFT

Nothing in this list excites me, and there are far too many "Like WoW, but..." phrases. Pass.

#4 Posted by Kingloo (84 posts) -

This may not all be accurate. If it is, for my taste, they have made the wrong choice on every major call.

#5 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -
#6 Posted by SamFo (1513 posts) -

This actually sounds really bad.

#7 Posted by FLStyle (4538 posts) -
  • Native 3rd person is a plus for me as I suffer from first-person motion sickness, but I can understand that from the majority of TES fans, how that would take away from what makes the games unique (as a lot of things listed seem to do).
  • I'm curious about the multi-class combo abilities/spells.
  • I'm all about Daggerfall Covenant (Bretons, Redguard, and Orcs)
  • I'm not sure what to think about the lack of an aggro system
  • I'm a big fan of Limit Breaks and will always request a variation of it in any RPG/MMORPG
#8 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

None of this makes me excited at all. You kow Zenimax, thanks, but I'm good.

#9 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

Wow, that sounds horrible.  And I say that as I guy who has played well over 300hrs (closer to 400, honestly) of Skyrim and am anxiously awaiting Dawnguard. 

Fucking mmos.

#10 Posted by mandude (2668 posts) -

Ah, well that's disappointing.

#11 Posted by Xeiphyer (5593 posts) -

If this is true, it removes everything that makes it a TES game, and turns it into some WoW clone. Super disappointing if this is real.

Some of the PvP stuff sounds cool. Public dungeons sound fucking terrible, sounds like the reason why instanced dungeons were created in the first place.

#12 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Boy… yeah this is all I can say. How about another fallout? Or maybe a new franchise? Nah let's make a… hold on to your butts… an MMO!! This is disappointing

#13 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

As I've said elsewhere, I have to play this game no matter what since I am a devoted fan, but being able to go back to Morrowind is worth the price of admission alone.

#14 Edited by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

Boy… yeah this is all I can say. How about another fallout? Or maybe a new franchise? Nah let's make a… hold on to your butts… an MMO!! This is disappointing

Completely different studios.

#15 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

DIFFERENT.

STUDIOS.

#16 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

WOW! What an innovative and exciting new take on the MMO format. I sure am glad nothing like this has been around for years and has completely dominated the market. Boy, what a refreshing fucking concept for a game. IT'LL SELL LIKE HOTCAKES!

Seriously, what the fuck are they thinking? Every MMO since WoW has been a cataclysmic(LOL FAHNY JOKE) failure. I give up with reason, these companies are run by incompetent men.

#17 Posted by Brendan (7667 posts) -

Good for MMO fans I guess. Not for me.

#18 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -
@xyzygy

@Sackmanjones said:

Completely different studios.

@CL60

@Sackmanjones said:

DIFFERENT.

STUDIOS.

Sorry it is a different developer. But it doesn't change the fact that those finds could have gone into a different project like Fallout or a new franchise. Chances are this MMO will fail like many many many MANY others. Of course we will have to wait and see
#19 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

I wish Bioware and Bethesda would leave the MMOs to other developers. It just makes me sad to see some of my favorite franchises ruined by taking them online in sub-par, "also-ran" type of games. This really is too similar to what's currently out there to pique my interest, despite being interested in the lore of the game. I'll withhold judgement till I see it and play it, though. Still, though- after coming off my GW2 high this weekend, its going to take one helluva an MMO to convince me they have better game mechanics.

#20 Posted by ajamafalous (11813 posts) -

I will never be a fan of removing aggro mechanics/holy trinity.

#21 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

some other tidbits left out.

-at one point you must collect 30-40 of something.

-will make mounts seem more valuable by otherwise long runs to points of interest.

#22 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Wonder how much of a shock this game would be for someone well familiar to skyrim coming to this finding that it's 3rd person only. After playing the free MMORPG Runes of Magic, they showed an easy way to do the player housing that worked without it being crazy (ie. people stacking the houses in skyrim with cheese, weapons, ect.) where players could have access to a bank & some minor crafting abilities. Still think this MMO is going to get buried under others or people will just recommend playing Skyrim/Oblivion instead.

#23 Posted by selbie (1835 posts) -

-Third person perspective

-The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs

-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKYOU FUCK FUCK!! /ryandavisrage

Oh well, that excitement was short lived D:

#24 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

@SagaciousJones said:

-Also, your soul has already been stolen by Molag Bal, which is the reason you can come back from death over and over again, and the starting plot is that you're fighting Molag Bal to get your soul back from him

damn, well he can keep it then, seems he just made me more powerful.

thats a handy power for an adventurer who likes to explore haunted caves.

#25 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -

...sounds cool to me, I love MMOs.

#26 Posted by MrSlapHappy (178 posts) -

This sounds like any other Game Informer article I read two years before a game came out. There is a lot left to decide and design, that sounds more like an outline of a game that can change substantially than a final blueprint to me.

#27 Edited by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Holy shit does that art style make it look generic as all hell. Seriously, the chunky-cartoon style has been bled dry at this point, it look like you handed me a copy of Amalur.

Also:

"It needs to be comfortable for people who are comign in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms, but it also has to appeal to Skyrim players."

The second you try to make the game for both parties, you make it so neither will want it. The "typical" MMO crowd they're trying to capture will see it as the WoW copy it is, and the ES fans will think it lost the flavor due to the changes.

#28 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6041 posts) -

Yikes. That sounds like they're basically reskinning WoW with an incomplete facsimile of the Elder Scrolls world. I hope that's not true, but damn, that doesn't sound appealing in the slightest.

#29 Posted by themangalist (1716 posts) -

.... nope nope and nope. No need for another one of these.

#30 Posted by Carlos1408 (1489 posts) -

Oh fuck off! This just sounds like another typical WoW rip off. Please! Can we have some innovation for once? FFS, society is just obsessed with recycling past clichés, just reiterating something old in a more efficient or slightly different way; cloaking it all in an illusion of innovation.

#31 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

"Hey guys, The Elder Scrolls is a pretty hot franchise, so let's strip out what makes it unique in favor of turning it into yet another fantasy MMO where one tanks mudcrabs with tanking skills!"

"Amazing Idea! That's billions right there! We'll be the next WoW killer!"

Man, why do studios feel the need to make MMOs? It's not like the genre hasn't been dominated by a single game for the past... 7 years. They should have remade Daggerfall instead, or something equally crazy.

#32 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

@Unchained said:

Wow, that sounds horrible. And I say that as I guy who has played well over 300hrs (closer to 400, honestly) of Skyrim and am anxiously awaiting Dawnguard. Fucking mmos.

MMOs themselves aren't the problem, there are plenty of great MMOs, the problem is that these people seem to still think they can overthrow WoW simply by sticking a name onto one without doing anything to make it actually stand out.

#33 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Gonna be hard for it to compete with WoW and Guild Wars 2 both being out there. Guild Wars 2 is fantastic, judging from the beta of course.

I feel really sorry for SWTOR, that game is going to see so many subscriber drops when people realise how much better Guild Wars 2 is. (and no subscription required)

@Carlos1408 said:

Oh fuck off! This just sounds like another typical WoW rip off. Please! Can we have some innovation for once? FFS, society is just obsessed with recycling past clichés, just reiterating something old in a more efficient or slightly different way; cloaking it all in an illusion of innovation.

If you want some innovation you should check out GW2, there's some interesting ideas in there. It's really quite crazy how many abilities each class can have, I mean, really, seriously, crazy.

#34 Posted by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

I don't know. Sounds like a regular MMO to me, and I'm sick of those.What makes Elder Scrolls great (at least for me) doesn't translate well into an MMO, or at least not they way they seem to be making it. Its the same problem I had with Star Wars: The Old Republic. I loved KOTOR but SWTOR lacked what I liked about the original.

#35 Posted by cmblasko (1108 posts) -

Well this is all very disappointing.

#36 Posted by jlev880 (204 posts) -

Yeah I was excited for this game before I read this info and saw it was going to try and be like WoW, which is fine for some people, but for me games like that have never been able to hook me because of the endless fetch quests, lack of interesting characters, and the fact that I've never been super into competitive multi-player. From the sound of this, it seems they will be taking everything I love about the Elder Scrolls out of the experience. If this is only way a Elder Scrolls MMO can work, then it might as well not be made at all.

#37 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

This will only end in heartbreak.

#38 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Still an MMO? Not really interested

#39 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

They should have invested their time making something else. Most of the stuff listed by the OP sounds bad.

#40 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

Actually it sounds more like guild wars 2 than WoW. The lack of a trinity makes it a pretty hard departure from the norm outright, the "quest" system is identical to GW2, and it even has fewer buttons in use. Not that WoW has many either. Not to mention the pvp actually matters thing with 3 faction war which is identical to GW2 again with it's 3 server battles.

#41 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

So it's the Elder Scrolls, only with everything that typifies the Elder Scrolls removed so it can play like every other Fantasy MMO ever.

Fan-fucking-tastic, who needs innovation or MMOs that might bring in new players?

Dumbarses.

#42 Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Welp. I guess The Elder Scrolls Online is going to be 10% awesome and 90% shit.

If they're charging a monthly fee for that, then it's going to be a huge failure. Even bigger than The Old Republic.

Unless they've got some kind of ace in the hole, here's hoping it dies a quick death. Maybe they can try again in ten years or so and get it right. Or at least righter.

#43 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

Who does this sound appealing to? Seriously, this sounds like every other shitty MMO in existence, except now taking place in Bethesda's shitty generic fantasy world.

#44 Posted by Berserker976 (322 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Who does this sound appealing to? Seriously, this sounds like every other shitty MMO in existence, except now taking place in Bethesda's shitty generic fantasy world.

Spoken like someone that doesn't know the first thing about The Elder Scrolls universe.

On topic, this does not really sound appealing to me at all. Like others have said, it sounds like they're taking essential Elder Scrolls series things out and replacing them with boring stuff.

The biggest bummer for me personally is that it's going to include all of Tamriel in that art style. I want to see the rest of Tamriel crafted lovingly one province at a time by the people who have made all the other games.

#45 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -
- There will be no player housing

That's the one that really killed my interest in it right there. Part of what makes Skyrim so immersive is the fact that I can actually have a place to relax, store items, craft, set up displays of loot I've found/made and have a follower there waiting there for me should I need them to run dungeons with me. Having such a hub gives me an excuse to actually roleplay in a roleplaying game (crazy, I know!) and spend way more time in it than I would if it were just another standard RPG (let alone a generic MMO).

There's a ton on this list that makes me think this team thought their idea was great 5 years ago but didn't pay attention to what any other developers were doing in the meantime. By the looks of things, Guild Wars 2 is already looking to be a better version of what this game is hoping to accomplish, only GW2 isn't nerfing an established world to do so.

#46 Posted by Hailinel (23689 posts) -

@Berserker976 said:

@iAmJohn said:

Spoken like someone that doesn't know the first thing about The Elder Scrolls universe.

The Elder Scrolls universe really isn't that unique or special. Oblivion basically saw Cyrodiil look like Middle-earth, and Skyrim is basically a Norse Conan the Barbarian setting with dragons.

#47 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

I understand you'd have to change a lot of things for an Elder Scrolls MMO but I just don't feel like classes and the such really... fit in with Elder Scrolls at all.

#48 Posted by Berserker976 (322 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Berserker976 said:

@iAmJohn said:

The Elder Scrolls universe really isn't that unique or special. Oblivion basically saw Cyrodiil look like Middle-earth, and Skyrim is basically a Norse Conan the Barbarian setting with dragons.

You can simplify anything to: "this is basically like this other thing."

It doesn't mean the lore and more intricate parts of the universe aren't deep and interesting.

#49 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

So they made WOW? I dont get it.

#50 Edited by Marz (5642 posts) -

man... just changing the combat to resemble standard mmo combat is a big turnoff... it's been done to death for 10+ years! steal something from Tera or other action oriented games. Classless system is also what i prefer... rather than being a class... just let everyone have every ability but they have to improve it by how much they use the skill... sort of like the regular Elder Scrolls games...

i like the idea of an elder scrolls mmo... i've wanted one for years... but this isn't what i imagined.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.