TES Online Info Dump from NeoGAF

• 125 results
#101 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

Meh, I HATE MMO combat, so I was hoping this would lean more towards the Elder Scrolls combat. That is what pushed me over the fence from "Eh, maybe it will be good" to not wanting or looking forwards to it at all.

#102 Posted by DTKT (115 posts) -

Sounds like the good old MMO recipe with a TES shrink wrap.

:sob:

#103 Posted by buft (3318 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

@mandude said:

It strips away everything that made TES great, and all we're left with is the substandard writing.

QFT

Nothing in this list excites me, and there are far too many "Like WoW, but..." phrases. Pass.

while I enjoy WOW this list does not excite me at all, warcraft already fills that need , I enjoy Elder scrolls for its own direction and without that i cant see me being interested but i'll wait for some gameplay before i make my mind up

#104 Posted by Mesklinite (805 posts) -

@rebgav said:

Sounds like any other MMO.

This makes it sound so boring to me.

#105 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

@buft said:

@Grimhild said:

@mandude said:

It strips away everything that made TES great, and all we're left with is the substandard writing.

QFT

Nothing in this list excites me, and there are far too many "Like WoW, but..." phrases. Pass.

while I enjoy WOW this list does not excite me at all, warcraft already fills that need , I enjoy Elder scrolls for its own direction and without that i cant see me being interested but i'll wait for some gameplay before i make my mind up

I don't understand this. The features listed by the OP include a lot of interesting stuff that is not in WoW at all. Players comboing their skills together to get new effects? 100 v 100 PvP battles over large keeps? Public dungeons? No aggro/threat mechanic or holy trinity? Some of these features have been found in other games, but none of them have been in WoW. I actually think this list of features sounds a little too ambitious for what the game will end up being.

#106 Edited by Irvandus (2880 posts) -

@Zithe: People just don't give a damn. Everyone gives up and shits on MMOs especially ones with subscription models.

I find it funny how people bitch about online games based on franchises. Usually they aren't replacing some other game and no one is forcing you to play them. A new Elder Scrolls wouldn't be coming out if this wasn't made, same goes for TOR, their was not going to be a Kotor 3. Just chill out and don't play them, MMOs will be MMOs and no one's making you play them, and if someone is, you should find a lawyer.

#107 Posted by HistoryInRust (6323 posts) -

RIP Elder Scrolls.

#108 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Zithe: What I mean by the "like WoW but..." comment is that I feel that they're drawing too many parallels to other existing MMO's or ones that are about to be released, as opposed to breaking new ground and sticking closer to what TES actually is.

-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR

-The general art style is kind of like RIFT or Everquest 2

-The game uses MMORPG genre standards such as classes, experience points, and other traditional MMORPG progression mechanics

-If you've seen Guild Wars 2 videos, the above will seem familiar (in reference to combining player abilities etc.)

-The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs

And the focus on a skill bar instead of real-time combat etc etc.

And as pointed out, what may come out the other end may not resemble TES at all. The MMO market is already over-saturated with recycled ideas, in my opinion, and it seems like a wasted opportunity to bring a more focused and exciting chapter to the TES system. Personally, I would've preferred a more hub-based multiplayer experience to retain that sense of exploration and isolation found in TES, as other people have pointed out. Who knows, though. I could be wrong and it will be great. But that list just doesn't appeal to me.

I did love the RvR in DAoC, though. Best MMO PvP I've experienced so far.

#109 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -

well it could be good for me atleast it is the mmorpg that I want but reading the scans I can only wish for it to be awesome.

#110 Posted by EXTomar (4768 posts) -

Others have hinted at it but to spell it out: I get the feeling Bethesda would have had better luck trying to do a "Fallout Online" instead. The field is pretty open for sci-fi MMO unlike the fantasy side.

#111 Posted by Aldrenar47 (78 posts) -
#112 Posted by Bollard (5598 posts) -

@selbie said:

-Third person perspective

-The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs

-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKYOU FUCK FUCK!! /ryandavisrage

Oh well, that excitement was short lived D:

You were... Excited for this?!!?!?

Fuck this game.

#113 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

soooo it's an MMO then

#114 Posted by Beaudacious (930 posts) -

This is going to tank to hard.

#115 Posted by IAmNotBatman (652 posts) -

3rd person? Wut.

#116 Posted by RedRoach (1192 posts) -

Ugh, generic ass MMO. It removes everything I loved about Skyrim.

#117 Posted by Nerolus (245 posts) -

Well you just crushed my dreams, and then some...

#118 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Thanks Bethesda, for removing all of the great additions of TES, and turning it into a WoW clone. Greedy sons of bitches.

#119 Edited by lancer75 (87 posts) -

This game is a bad idea. I'm all for a game in which all (most) of Tamriel is within my reach, but skill bars and collection quests? No. They shouldn't make this game. Few Elder Scrolls fans want it, few MMO players want it. Things I'll miss from TES games:

- Being able to see something on the ground and be able to pick it up.

- Traversing difficult terrain

- Being able to shoot a spell or arrow at something and have it hit or miss based on your ability

- Having a damn house

- Exploring the world and not being guided by the typical MMO Quest routes

- Having quests available anywhere you may choose to go.

- A realistic art style

- An overall graphical fidelity.

I'm all for a multiplayer, expansive TES game, but this isn't that. This looks like another rote MMO.

#120 Posted by thornie (171 posts) -

I stopped reading at "third person". Fuck that.

#121 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -

Why fucking bother at all if absolutely nothing appealing was promised? They had the chance to do something new in this stale genre with introducing some core concepts from TES and they decide to do another TPP MMO.

Nothing sounds good about this shit.

#122 Edited by Jams (2961 posts) -

Does anyone know if and how the developers responded to everyone complaining? I've only read people opinions from here, neogaf, and i think mmorpg.com and it seems like everyone is universally unhappy with the features.

#123 Edited by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

Yeah I like how they state they need to appeal to MMO fans and Skyrim players, but not people who have been Elder Scrolls fans for more than a fuckin' year.

I am most definitely not the target audience for this shit, even if I've been playing TES games for a decade now.

Hell they could have at least tried, maybe an MMO with a first person perspective, however insignificant the change would at least contribute to it feeling like Elder Scrolls.

EDIT: Oh I was tricked by the goddamn necros. Fuck you bitches.

#124 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4540 posts) -

I have nothing against people liking whatever, but it seems like everyone did a complete 180 after OMFGCata/Jesse Cox previewed the game and had some nice things to say about it recently and I can't tell if it's because they're genuinely excited or because "oh, this internet personality I like likes the game so it must good!"

I dunno, it just feels weird and that we've reached that same fuckinig point we've reached with Rift, SWTOR, GW2, and tons of other shit where people are like, "No, this is the game that's gonna turn things around and make the genre fun again and if you don't like it then you must be crazy and blahblahblah." And ya know, if you're excited or whatever then don't let me rain on your parade. Just let you do you. However, I ain't buying into the fucking hype ever again. I've finally been burned one too many times so I'm waiting until months after the game is released to start giving a shit.

#125 Posted by EchoEcho (828 posts) -

Well, this is a necro thread, but oh well. Is Bethesda still going to make mainline Elder Scrolls games? Yes? Then I have no problem with this being a non-Elder-Scrolls style game set in the Elder Scrolls universe, because I am a fan of the lore. Redguard wasn't a typical Elder Scrolls game either, but I seem to remember people liking it well enough. Also, let us not forget how pissed off everyone was when they learned the next WarCraft game was going to be an MMO instead of an RTS, and yet that turned out all right, didn't it? I'll wait until I can actually play it to see if it's any good. I'm not sick of standard MMO design like most people are, so I'm really not put off by it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.