Want to play as an Imperial? That'll be $100.

• 71 results
#51 Edited by Reisz (1483 posts) -

Please don't bankrupt yourselves on this Zenimax. What are you guys even doing.

I was looking at the collector's edition just recently and figured it was simply worded poorly. They're seriously restricting a race to collector's edition buyers huh? Unbelievable. No way in hell that stays exclusive for the life of the game, maybe not even the first year. Bummer of an incentive to be paying an extra $30.00

#52 Edited by Jayzilla (2560 posts) -

The funniest part about all of this is that you can also play any race in any faction as long as you pre-order. This coming after a YEAR of them saying that it would be lore breaking if they let us do that when people were saying that the game shouldn't race lock the factions. I am not giving a dime to this game and I LOVE the ES games. It's a shame this thing just became a new skin for DAoC.

#53 Edited by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -
#54 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -

Oh....that kinda sucks. I always play as Imperial and was bummed when they weren't in any of the alliances.

#55 Posted by joshwent (2175 posts) -

@reisz said:

Please don't bankrupt yourselves on this Bethesda. What are you guys even doing.

Again, because it's already been said once in this thread, Bethesda isn't making this game. It's developed by ZeniMax Online Studios. Bethesda is working on Fallout 4 and probably something else. They're owned by the parent Company ZeniMax, but they're not making ESO.

#56 Posted by Pr1mus (3875 posts) -

This game has adopted every design and business models necessary to guarantee it's failure.

#57 Posted by Reisz (1483 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@reisz said:

Please don't bankrupt yourselves on this Bethesda. What are you guys even doing.

Again, because it's already been said once in this thread, Bethesda isn't making this game. It's developed by ZeniMax Online Studios. Bethesda is working on Fallout 4 and probably something else. They're owned by the parent Company ZeniMax, but they're not making ESO.

Yeah, I'm tired as shit right now. I am fully aware and 100% meant to type Zenimax.

Edit made, and now I'm going to finish this pudding and take a nap.

#58 Posted by animathias (1185 posts) -

I dunno... I see this, and yeah, I see exactly how screwed up it is, but it's nothing new. Pointing at WoW here is the wrong direction, but there are plenty of other games, not just MMOs, to point at that do basically the same thing. I'm not saying it's right, because it is pretty screwed up, but it's not something to get enraged over and point at this game and this game alone and cry foul.

If you want to drag a game through the mud and demean it in every way possible for whatever reason that I can't fathom, then go for it. This particular issue, however, is industry-wide and not even tied down to the genre. Races, playable characters, armor, weapons, equipment, etc, etc, etc.. have been locked behind $80, $100, or even more expensive "Collector's Editions" for years. If you really want to fight this battle, you can find a much better example than Elder Scrolls. Unless, like I pointed out you just want to demean this particular game, in which case: carry on. I'll be over here, enjoying my video games.

#59 Edited by spraynardtatum (2833 posts) -

This is just plain old unappealing. I had high hopes for this game but they just keep making every decision I don't want them to make.

#60 Posted by JBG4 (411 posts) -

Why can't we just have games anymore? Make a game, include all content, customer buys game...

#61 Edited by spraynardtatum (2833 posts) -

@jbg4 said:

Why can't we just have games anymore? Make a game, include all content, customer buys game...

preach

#62 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1117 posts) -

$ 100 game
$ 10 XBLG month sub
$ 15 game sub

$125 to play a single month as an emperial on Xbox One. Fuck.

#63 Edited by fisk0 (4037 posts) -

Just wait a couple of months, I picked up the Collector's Edition of Star Trek Online about 3 months after launch for $10, and then a bunch of time cards for $2 each, and didn't have to start actually pay the monthly subscription fee until 7 months later, and then it went free to play.

If you go to a store that have plenty of stuff besides games, they'll want to free up some shelf space after a couple of months, and those collector's editions will be cheap.

#64 Posted by tourgen (4477 posts) -

yeah no thanks. plenty of other amazing games to spend time and money on. It just looks so generic.

#65 Posted by mlarrabee (2929 posts) -

I generally dislike GIFs and things, but...

#66 Edited by sissylion (679 posts) -

@metal_mills: Well, yeah, but that was DCUO. So many other things about that game (the lack of marketing, not really having a strong fan allegiance in terms of games [the Arkham games are the only DC games from the past ten years I can even think of off the top of my head], it being, you know, bad) set it up for failure. ESO has had a pretty big marketing campaign, hell of people bought Skyrim, and REDACTED. "They're MMOs that are on consoles" are about the only similarities the two games share.

#67 Posted by Aristotled (32 posts) -

I can't even convince myself to go play for free and I've had access to that for the past 5 months. I think I played for maybe 10 hours tops before I just had to stop, and couldn't go back.

Dunno how they expect to convince people to shell out for that when most people who've gotten an extensive look are highly unimpressed.

#68 Posted by Evilsbane (4595 posts) -

@jayzilla said:

The funniest part about all of this is that you can also play any race in any faction as long as you pre-order. This coming after a YEAR of them saying that it would be lore breaking if they let us do that when people were saying that the game shouldn't race lock the factions. I am not giving a dime to this game and I LOVE the ES games. It's a shame this thing just became a new skin for DAoC.

Dark Age of Camelot? The game looks nor plays anything like it unless I have misunderstood your acronym.

#69 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -

@thecreamfilling said:

@captain_felafel said:

It feels like Morrowind.

That's actually a compliment.

I meant the clunkiness of the combat. Elder Scrolls games have always had clunky combat, and Skyrim is no exception, but compared to Morrowind, Skyrim feels incredible. It's difficult to play a game today that feels as clunky a Morrowind does when there are better action games, especially when so much of ESO is trying to be a "true" Elder Scrolls game.

#70 Posted by Wolfgame (708 posts) -

You would think that with the release of details on these limited edition retail packs it might be time to drop this NDA silliness. Zenimax/Bethesda wants you to pony up for these absurd bundles but won't allow any details on what the game is like underneath the frilly packaging. This is Gpotatoe/Snail level of incompetence for a game that should be able to sell it self on name alone, but even that isn't happening with all this underhanded business leading up to release. All parties involved are incredibly deceptive, this is gonna go down in history as the way to kill an established franchises potential in a multiplayer/mmo capacity.

#71 Posted by announakis (114 posts) -

Everything about this game so far is turning me off.

yep, same here...-_-'

#72 Posted by altairre (1181 posts) -

I don't think it's hard to see why people get worked up about this game eventhough having a race tied to the collectors edition is probably not a big deal. People are passionate about the Elder Scrolls series and they want to see games with that name to live up to it (I personally dislike Skyrim but that's not the point). This game seems like a mediocre MMO at best going by what I've seen and most of the feedback I've read.

Then they ask you to pay 15 bucks a month in addition to the full price while there is already a microtransaction system in place. That's a ballsy move given what the game is offering. So no, I wouldn't call it internet hyperbole. If you are alright with this that's cool but there is enough reason to say "fuck this". I also doubt they really think that they can sustain this model for very long there is just not a big enough market for this kind of game anymore.

Lastly comparisons, to WoW in the sense of "but they did it as well" aren't really valid anymore because it's fucking WoW and therefore a very special case. WoW may get away with it, doesn't mean any other MMO would.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.