Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 04, 2014

An MMORPG set in the world of Nirn, focusing on the familiar continent of Tamriel, taking place a thousand years before The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

We finally have true first person view in ESO!

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Great! I guess I care about this game now.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BaneFireLord

That video might have just sold me on an MMO. Never thought I'd see the day.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn

It does look more appealing, but given how it looks, I would have prefered a co-op proper TES to an MMO.

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By unequivocable

Crap -- this might be what I need to get into it. There goes my winter...

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This alone actually makes the whole thing feel a lot more like an Elder Scrolls game, I really don't know why they didn't do this to begin with.

I'm still not 100% sold though.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Wemibelle

I don't know how I feel about playing an MMO in first-person, even one based on the Elder Scrolls games. Still seems a bit weird to me.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By jeff

...don't you think this'll just cause an even greater disconnect by making the game look like the regular Elder Scrolls games even though it doesn't appear to actually play that way?

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe I'm saying this but.. color me interested in the game because of this. It still looks really ugly for an elder scrolls game though.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BaneFireLord

@jeff: Although I suppose you probably know more than us mere mortals, most of the write ups I've seen have described the combat as being quite similar to the Skyrim combat system (i.e. active combat limited by stamina and mana pools as opposed to normal MMO-style cooldowns and autoattacks).

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skeptical about this game still :/

RupertTheBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Having a first - person raid party in elder scroll is gonna be interesting and i hope they have some back stabing kill animation in this game

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By confusedowl

This helps my interest a bit but not sure if it's enough to sell me on it yet.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just took my interest from none to I will keep a watch on this game to see if its for me.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if ESO has similar PvP to other MMOs, but if it does, first person view would be useless. Being able to see the battlefield and your place in it will always be preferable. I'd think the same goes for raids. And first person healing sounds like a nightmare.

Still excited for this game, but I do get bummed when developers "listen" to the fans and change their original designs. They're the developers for a reason!

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jeff said:

...don't you think this'll just cause an even greater disconnect by making the game look like the regular Elder Scrolls games even though it doesn't appear to actually play that way?

My thoughts exactly. It's cool, but a first-person perspective doesn't mean it's suddenly going to play like a typical Elder Scrolls game. Considering the Elder Scrolls has never been about combat (people give it a pass because the world itself is so well realized), I don't see how this would convert the non-believers. The fact that you're tied to a specific landmass based on what faction you select is a bummer.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Bwast

No one will use this long-term, 3rd person is infinitely better suited for traditional MMO gameplay. Playing in 1st person will literally lower your effectiveness.

@joshwent My thoughts exactly. I see this as just lame pandering and a waste of development time.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

"Skyrim's combat isn't very good" is a common complaint of the fifth Elder Scrolls game.

"Why isn't the combat more like it was in Skyrim" was a common complaint of the online Elder Scrolls game.

Oh, I am not complaining. I'm just pointing this out. I hope this doesn't mean we still have a skill bar with cooldowns that we have to hotkey to.

Does this make me more interested? Yeah, I'm curious. I won't be sold on it until after it's out, though.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JasonR86

All it really did was highlight to me how poor it looks graphically to the main Elder Scrolls games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny what a change in PERSPECTIVE can do to you. Ehh? Get it?

But seriously fuck, I can't believe that something that small can change my mind like it did...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You can't fool me Elder Scrolls Online. You'll never be a real Elder Scrolls game.

Really though, It's an interesting addition, but not enough to get me interested in an MMO.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By senrat

I think I'm going to give this game the benefit of the doubt and try it out.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Levio

Hmm, I dunno... make it so I can transform into a werewolf who can't fit through any halls, and throw in a menu based inventory system with thousands of items and I might be tempted...

Also, if enemies could scale off my pickpocket and lockpicking skills and obliterate me in combat, that would be great.

mao16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mao16

I hate to be that guy but I think the third person system was a nice compromise. For reference I've probably clocked at least 1000 hrs in elder scrolls games. I've always felt that while the ability to have full aim control etc was nice but in the end the combat was very shallow with only archery and to a lesser extent magic being decent. Even Skyrim which had (mostly) the best combat system in the series was pretty bad without mods. With ESO being well online it would be incredibly impractical to use the real time combat system in the previous games unless the game was instanced to hell. Especially with the dev's promise of a focus on rvrvr pvp and player counts in the "hundreds on screen". Seeing the devs now spending what appears to be a large amount of resources on a feature that will be entirely cosmetic so close to launch is worrying. Unless they practically remade the entire game mechanically all this first person stuff will be exactly the same as third person but with a smaller fov which means it will be useless for competitive stuff and no one will use it. I would much rather they spend the time making new content and polishing what's already done. This kind of stuff should be left for an expansion or big update. It didn't matter if I agreed that an elder scrolls game could be a mmo. What got me interested was that they were doing something different, had guys on the team that made the best pvp mmo of all time and were saying things that I liked in a sandbox mmo with a focus on pvp. Now so close to launch to hear them sort of going back on what made this game unique in the first place is worrying. Then again they could have remade the entire game and attempt to add real time first person combat into it... less then a year before launch. I don't know if I would be thrilled or shocked at how stupidly arrogant and impulsive that would be.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By xymox

But seriously fuck, I can't believe that something that small can change my mind like it did...

I know, right? Suddenly I'm interested in this game. Seems completely irrational that the first person view should mean so much to me in this context.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jeff said:

What are you talking about. Didn't you see the dude pick up that bread?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No skateboards; no sale

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This alone actually makes the whole thing feel a lot more like an Elder Scrolls game, I really don't know why they didn't do this to begin with.

I'm still not 100% sold though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.