Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 04, 2014

An MMORPG set in the world of Nirn, focusing on the familiar continent of Tamriel, taking place a thousand years before The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

Your Enjoyment of ESO vs Skyrim

grimmie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Your Enjoyment of ESO vs Skyrim (102 votes)

A. I listen to all the dialogue in ESO (and Skyrim) 24%
    B. I listen to some of the dialogue in ESO (and SKyrim)but skip the NPCs that talks slower than i can read 36%
    C. I skip all the dialogue in ESO (and Skyrim), i just want to kill some Daedra Lords 7%
    1. I enjoy the questing a lot in ESO, i found it to be more colourful than most MMOs 25%
    2. I found the questing in ESO on-par with with most MMOs 24%
    3. I hated the quest design in ESO, this game gave me cancer. 15%
    i. The quest design in Skyrim is very diverse and complex, it is leagues ahead of MMOs 25%
    ii. When I really think about Skyrim's quests were just MMO fetch or kill quests - but with fully voiced dialogue that made it more interesting. 38%
    iii. The quest design in Skyrim was hot trash and i dont know why I keep playing Role Playing Games 14%

I know I have been posting a lot in this forum the last few days but i have a theory so go along with me on this to help me figure out if im right.

Read all the options in each category carefully and choose the option that most closesly describes how you behave/feel in ESO and Skyrim

Vote on one option out of A, B and C

Vote on one option out of 1, 2 and 3

Vote for one option out of i, ii, iii

Thank you for taking the time to answer my annoying and over-complicated poll,
    Have a nice day!

• 
    Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stop comparing Skyrim to ESO

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Your answering categories do not allow me to express the vast chasm that exists between the two games (for example, I listen to all dialogue in Skyrim while I skip most of it in ESO).

@syndrom said:

stop comparing Skyrim to ESO

That about sums it up.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What about Arena, tho

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

Skyrim & ESO are not essentially the same game dude.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys saying to stop comparing them realize 50% of ESO's design literally is Skyrim right? They even use a lot of the same voice actors and the same fonts on books/hand written notes. Comparing it to Skyrim is in many ways more valid than comparing it to many MMO's.

grimmie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By grimmie92

@brendan: That is not what im saying at all, the combat is obviously different, and while it is less clunky than Skyrim, it also lacks the free aim that people loved about archery and magic, unfortunately that can never exist in an MMO due to latency, but the feel, tone and basic gameplay hooks are 100% the same.

@syndrom: Im not the one comparing them, this is in response to people saying this game doesnt feel like a TES game, problem is, those people have placed Skyrim on an insanely high pedestal when they dont even remember how a TES game plays

@rvone: that is precisely the issue, people are saying this game has no soul, and it doesnt feel like a TES game, perhaps.. that is because you are not playing it like a TES game, and that is entirely your fault, not the fault of the developer. How are they supposed to convey soul and feel if you ignore what the game is offering?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@karkarov: This is the thing I find so weird about listening to the reaction to this game; it just seems like the game being an MMO has incited all sorts of hatred that's bleeding over into things Skyrim did too. Like, much of the quest design isn't appreciably different. The dialogue with the NPCs is no more or less interesting from anything I've seen so far, but is getting all kinds of shit. The music is comparable, the combat is just Elder Scrolls combat with hotbar skills added in. The list of similarities is probably much longer than the list of differences.

Sacui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are looking for reasons to put ESO on blast, and I'm just sitting here wondering why. Its another effing Elder Scrolls game that you can easily go balls-deep in and have great social events. In the end,is that not all that matters? You can nit-pick all you want, compare it to Skyrim all you want, but its another Elder Scrolls game and we should all rejoice in that aspect.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tariqari

ESO was a decent MMO that's on par with what's already out there. Sure it's got fully voiced, etc etc but I mean I could really care less about all that. The gameplay itself was boring and MMOs in general are dwarfed by normal games. I say that even in the face of F2P MMOs which don't even turn out to be free. Look at SWTOR where you have to buy like 75% of the features in order to enjoy the game as it should be for everyone anyway.

grimmie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tariqari: the gameplay of skyrim was pretty boring too, if youre playing TES games for their groundbreaking and innovative combat, youre doing something very wrong. People play them for the lore and the immersion, if you dont care about that, then you are not the target audience of ANY TES game ever made.

Again, im not here to cause an argument, just dont put on these anti MMO goggles of yours and pretend that this is not a TES game just because you decided to play it like an MMO, instead of a TES game.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone: that is precisely the issue, people are saying this game has no soul, and it doesnt feel like a TES game, perhaps.. that is because you are not playing it like a TES game, and that is entirely your fault, not the fault of the developer. How are they supposed to convey soul and feel if you ignore what the game is offering?

No Caption Provided

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone said:

@grimmie92 said:

No Caption Provided

lawl

grimmie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone: skipping dialogue in ESO is why people dont feel the same way about this game as they do about skyrim. im pretty sure i made that point fairly clear

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Skyrim was ok, ESO so far is less enjoyable. I'd rather play more World of Warcraft to be honest... but the expansion seems so far away. At least Blizzard released some Alpha Patch Notes to give some insight in what their plans for Warlords of Draenor is.

Also your poll options are poor and doesn't give me the possibility to truly reflect my opinion. Shame on you >:(

grimmie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@village_guy: if i let everyone just speak their mind it is no longer a poll but a comment thread, which is exactly what it has become anyway, but those people moaning about it still dont understand that theyre playing a game thats similar to one they really enjoyed.. completely differently just because it has "Online" in the name. So im done, im gonna go have fun playing this very nicely polished MMO with my friends while this haters wallow in their own pools of hatred.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone: skipping dialogue in ESO is why people dont feel the same way about this game as they do about skyrim. im pretty sure i made that point fairly clear

That is putting the cart before the horse.

@village_guy: if i let everyone just speak their mind it is no longer a poll but a comment thread, which is exactly what it has become anyway, but those people moaning about it still dont understand that theyre playing a game thats similar to one they really enjoyed.. completely differently just because it has "Online" in the name. So im done, im gonna go have fun playing this very nicely polished MMO with my friends while this haters wallow in their own pools of hatred.

TES and TESO are similar in the way humans are similar to chimpanzees.

That said, I'm really happy for you that you are enjoying your time with the game. There's nothing wrong with liking something that some other people don't.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone said:

@grimmie92 said:

No Caption Provided

As a Thai guy, I give this 7/5 stars. Yep, I went above the limit.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RVonE
    Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tariqari: *couldn't care less. Could care less implies that you care enough that the amount you care could go down, which basically puts no limit to how much you could care, making it a trivial statement.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, is someone really going to trot out the "you are playing it wrong" argument? Nothing says "I'm desperate!!" than to shift the blame form the product to the buyer.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

You call this a multi poll?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By veektarius

This isn't a poll, this is a poorly disguised trap designed to catch no one in particular.

I skipped dialogue in both ESO and Skyrim, by the way. There's just a lot more of it in ESO, which means I'm skipping more. I think the quest design is generally good, but the difference is there are a lot more quests in ESO than Skyrim. I think the combat is fine (but not good), too, slightly worse than Skyrim's, but there's way more of that as well!

In general, if you ignore combat and leveling mechanics, what ESO felt like is a supercondensed version of Skyrim, which maybe counterintuitively cheapens the experience. However, the most common refrain from people who aren't into ESO that I've heard is not mechanical, but rather that There are too many other people! Which there are, and which you don't address.

I don't think the reason people like Skyrim is because they want to block with right click and then swing with left click, or because they want to shout FUS RO DAH! and send pieces of bread flying in all directions (though that's something else you can't do in ESO), or because they want to help Jarl Bolgrulf with his dragon problem. I think you'll notice in discussions of Skyrim that the people who focus on these things usually aren't fans of the game at all.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nights

@grimmie92 said:

@tariqari: the gameplay of skyrim was pretty boring too, if youre playing TES games for their groundbreaking and innovative combat, youre doing something very wrong. People play them for the lore and the immersion, if you dont care about that, then you are not the target audience of ANY TES game ever made.

Again, im not here to cause an argument, just dont put on these anti MMO goggles of yours and pretend that this is not a TES game just because you decided to play it like an MMO, instead of a TES game.

You're right, I'm playing Elder Scrolls games for the immersion, vast world, lore and most importantly, flexibility in character progression and freedom. I can more or less mold my character to my liking and behave the way I want to. That's not possible in ESO because it's an MMO that has a massive emphasis on PVP so there has to be some semblance of balance. Not to mention the fact there are classes in ESO which DO NOT EXIST in proper Elder Scrolls games (don't tell me that because Oblivion had suggested builds that THAT is a class system). One of the most defining characteristics of the series is limited compared to its single player counterpart. I honestly tried playing the game like I would play a regular Elder Scrolls games and guess what happened? The players around me completely ruined the experience.

Speaking of immersion, Grimmie, have fun trying to play a stealthy character with a bunch of schmucks sprinting through your area, pulling aggro and basically approaching the situation in the exact opposite way you'd like to. There's a mission early on where you have to retrieve a skull from a chest that's guarded by an ancient Dunmer where this is very apparent. I entered the tomb and proceeded to sneak as I normally would when playing a character that utilizes stealth. Crouching, observing enemy count/patterns, waiting for enemies to turn around so I could approach them from a different angle, etc. Spent a good minute or so doing that and what was I rewarded with for my efforts? A couple of guys came flying in, aggroed half the room, killed the enemies and moved on. Fantastic. The chest holding the skull is guarded by a mini-boss which had already been killed by the time I got there. I walked up, took the skull from the chest and turned around uncontested. Again, the players around you completely kill any sort of build up, momentum or immersion. I'm just not playing it like an Elder Scrolls game, right? Give me a fucking break.

Here's the thing... If they wanted me to play the game like an Elder Scrolls game they should have made it even MORE instanced based. In fact, they should have adopted the Guild Wars (and to a lesser extent PSO) approach where you have massive hub worlds, but everything else is instanced for you or your party. Clearly a lot of people enjoy the game so hey, more power to you. With that said, the Elder Scrolls is my favorite series and I've dumped countless hours into them so when people start claiming that, "You don't enjoy ESO because you're doing it wrong" I have to stop them right there. To sum up my thoughts: It's difficult to play this game as you would a proper Elder Scrolls game due to the hindrance of other players and the limitations in both player progression and freedom due to it being an MMORPG. As an MMORPG it's not offering me anything groundbreaking or innovative. What am I left with at this point? A subpar Elder Scrolls game that isn't as feature rich as its single player counterparts (and can't be extensively modified), but with the added annoyance of dealing with other players. That's why I, as a massive Elder Scrolls fan, do not like this game.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well, it's nice to know that the OP became rather honest by the time he stopped replying to the thread. Did exactly what he said he wasn't doing when he made it. Well done. Lock it.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheHumanDove

ESO isn't good. I didn't see it in the poll options tho

grimmie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: if everyone runs all mid in Dota, theyre playing the game wrong, they should also not RP and refuse to kill the enemy hero because in the lore of the game theyre brothers or something.

similarly, ignoring the lore and setting of a role playing game is detrimental to the enjoyment of the game. skipping dialogue and not reading quest related books in Skyrim is a bad time cos the combat in that game is super boring.

grimmie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By grimmie92

@veektarius: that was a decent reply, thank you.

yes there are sometimes too many people, but this is an mmo.. that is kinda the point, personally i found it weird that Whiterun, a trading town had 50 guards and a population of 8, yes it would be better if you could only see ~100 people at a time and hopefully theyll get there.

if you followed the game in its development they wanted to instance the servers considerable by letting you choose play preferences like RP or Questing or Dungeon Running etc and let the servers tools inteligently split the world so you are with like minded people and your friends and guilds. unfortunately none of that stuff is ingame yet so essentially we are only being instanced by the capacity of the game not being able to render more than 300 or something characters at a time.

The actual focus of this post was for those people that were complaining that this was a generic fantasy setting that they labeled Elder Scrolls and that the world had no soul/spirit/personality etc, ive seen 100s of posts like this on reddit and a bunch on GB too, it is my belief that people feel this way because they are not playing this game the way they would play another Elder Scrolls game, clearly illustrated by RVonE's comment at the top of the thread who has been trolling since he came across the thread

EXTomar has also been going around the different threads making sure his distaste for this game was observed by all who dared show interest

Brendan too very dismissively responded to the poll with a bit of a knee-jerk

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Evilsbane

@grimmie92: Yea I have been listening the the quest lines and they are legit, they have high quality VO and a huge majority of the quest have interesting stories and twist n turns. So Yes Grimmie is right if your just spam clicking through the dialogue then your gonna have a bad time, which why in the world would you rob yourself of playing the game as you would Skyrim unless you do the same thing there which begs the question Why the fuck are you playing the game?

Its the same as not reading in Morrowind or skipping cutscenes or like Dark Souls and just ignore the item descriptions and lore and then wondering why the story wasn't very good...

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Evilsbane

@rvone said:

I listen to all dialogue in Skyrim while I skip most of it in ESO).

No Caption Provided

@syndrom said:

WHY why would you do this even the Voice actors are the SAME people as Skyrim it is High quality stuff and I would say almost all the quest I've done are varied and fun.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EXTomar

Maybe I am going around ESO threads because I am disappointed about general progression of MMOs at this stage in the game where I'm eagerly awaiting news of any type. Basically this is only thing discussed right now because of the inter-launch activity.

Maybe I am going around to ESO threads because I wonder "Why bother?" New technology and designs are on the horizon with Wildstar and WoW expansion launches to see the next step in progression of the tech and also wondering if EverQuest Next can deliver on the promises with that technology. With all of that tech and new features literally months away, I'm supposed to be excited for ESO? The only reason why appears to be because grimmie92 says it is....

Ultimately, maybe I am going around ESO threads because this is the only place I have found that has much support for it. Curious I ask for reason why and I found the reasons for that support seriously lacking. And when I point this out I get yelled at. Never mind all of that because grimmie92 is the arbiter of "good things" for all of us and disagreeing is "not correct".

ps. If everyone runs to mid in Dota 2, they aren't playing it wrong but some teams might have a hard time winning. Here is another hint: Winning isn't playing it right, losing isn't playing it wrong. In this end this is a flaw in a lot of your arguments because you can have a lot of fun in ESO and it is still a poor MMO that lacks a bunch of features and design necessary for longevity in MMOs.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RVonE

@evilsbane: because after some 40 hours the game bores me to death; after giving it an honest shot, I'm not invested enough to care about the dialogue.

grimmie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: If you believe wildstar is new technology and exciting innovation, i am sorry to dissapoint you, but that game is no different to MMOs since the early 2000s except it has an edgy attitude that it leans entirely too hard into and an art style that will make people want to play ratchet and clank. I didnt ask you to be excited about ESO, if you dont care.. you dont care. i dont go on washing machine forums and complain about their lack of features because i simply dont give a flying fuck, this has been discussed in other pages, the fact that you dont enjoy it doesnt make it a bad game.

<the example i used elsewhere was: my brother loves fishing, he goes on fly fishing trips every year to the local river, i dont enjoy fishing.. does that mean my brother is a moron for enjoying it?>

The subreddit for ESO has been very positive about the game in the last week since launch btw

Im not saying you need to enjoy the game, you dont have to play it if you dislike it, going on forums and shitting on it is a different thing all together though, you are turning away potential customers and people who could really enjoy the game by posting all this hate about the game, which makes it difficult to create a guild for giant bomb users who actually care about it.

@rvone: That is hardly the game's fault, nor is it yours... but blaming the game for not appealing to your particular interest is strange. i know people who have played skyrim for over 500 hours and didnt bore of it, maybe RPGs just arent for you?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I haven't played ESO, but as a huge Elder Scrolls fan I think it looks pretty okay. It's about as close as I've come to breaking my "Never play an MMO" rule. Just to put a little positivity out there.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RVonE

@rvone: That is hardly the game's fault, nor is it yours... but blaming the game for not appealing to your particular interest is strange. i know people who have played skyrim for over 500 hours and didnt bore of it, maybe RPGs just arent for you?

No, it's TESO in particular. I played Skyrim for over 200 hours and loved every minute of it. I probably played even more of Oblivion and Morrowind.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Syndrom

i'm enjoying the game actually, and i didn't like skyrim or morrowind. I'm playing it as an mmo where i have a lot more freedom in what i do and when and how i do it. Also the combat isn't that great, but it's a real breath of fresh air in the mmo space in my opinion.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well after playing for several hours I finally reached level 10. Here are my thoughts.

I have not been enjoying this game at all. I think Oblivion had way more interesting quests than Skyrim, but Skyrim is still leagues ahead of ESO. In fact, out of the MMO's I've played a lot (WoW, FF XIV), ESO has by far the least entertaining quests. And that's saying something since WoW and FF XIV have some boring ass quests. Especially old WoW. The world is also incredibly boring to look at than your average ES game, not to mention half of Tamriel is inaccessible. I do like the character progression, though, but that's about it.

I'll keep playing since I heard it gets better after level 10, but yeah, so far this is by far the most boring MMO I have ever played which is a shame because I absolutely love the Elder Scrolls world and lore and this is the only ES game we're going to get for another 3 years at minimum.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.