1.05 Patch Underwater Freezing??

#1 Posted by Falcon5008 (76 posts) -

So I recently got the new 1.05 patch for Skyrim, and every time I try to go underwater the game keeps freezing... Is this happening to others?

Oh, Im also playing on PS3.

#2 Edited by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

yup every single time. This patch made the game worse. I tend to hold off on getting pissed at game companies but Bethesda's work on Skyrim for the PS3 has been dreadful. It's like they got our money by delaying review copies for the PS3 and now refuse to fix their broken ass game. How incompetent can a game studio be? Just dreadful.

Deleting all their shitty patches will make the game "work" again, at least to the point where you can actually enter the water. Man fuck Bethesda.

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Stuff like this is why I ALWAYS buy multiplatform games on 360 or PC, and keep my PS3 for exclusives.

#4 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Stuff like this is why I ALWAYS buy multiplatform games on 360 or PC, and keep my PS3 for exclusives.

I buy most of my games on the PS3 and I've yet to run in to the kind of issues that Bethesda games have on the console. It's either laziness or pure incompetence on their part.

#5 Posted by rosebud04 (360 posts) -

its not happening on my 360 version, seems like PS3 Owners got screwed

#6 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Well, if Skyrim didn't have gamebreaking bugs before, it very well has them now. Have fun PS3 users *evil smile*.

#7 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Falcon5008: I've read that if you do this it will fix the problem on the PS3.

Several people have experienced a game freezing glitch when diving into water after downloading the US patch, myself included. If you have this problem try deleting your game data and the update, and then reinstalling. Do not delete your save file. This should fix the problem.
#8 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (473 posts) -

@rosebud04 said:

PS3 owners have been getting the shaft for a while now, maybe it's cursed and we should hurry the PS4 out? I might actually be interested in a Sony product if it's any good. PSVita seems pretty bad ass.

#9 Posted by Moloney (56 posts) -

Great.

#10 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@rosebud04 said:

AGAIN!

#11 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

I believe it. I bought a 360 earlier this year, because some of the games were not running well on PS3. I have both, but buy most multiplatform games on 360 now.

#12 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

I thought this was about some survival mechanic that they introduced where you have to stay out of water before you freeze to death. Maybe it is. Think about it.

Seriously, this is crazy. Bethesda need to sit down and talk to some developers and figure out how to work with a PS3. It's obvious they only have a limited understanding if their game is still broken 6 months after release.

#13 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

I thought PS3 Skyrim users were used to getting it up the ass from Bethesda...this really sucks though.

Is this the patch with wrestling moves?

#14 Posted by jking47 (1207 posts) -

Wow, that sucks. I have been kinda waiting for them to fix it so I can play more, guess that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

#15 Edited by Superfriend (1522 posts) -

Bethesda said you should delete your game data (not the savefile) and install the patch again.

Patch changes how the underwater is rendered. It has some fake depth of field effects now (at least on PC and 360) and the bug Greg found during the 24 Hours Marathon where you can see through the water is gone. Oh and there are new finishers and slo-mo cams for a lot of kills including bow and magic. So, yeah compared to past Beth games this is heavenly post release support.

Edit: Bethesda quote: "We've seen reports of users having issues with the game freezing up when entering water. If you're having this issue, head to the PlayStation XMB menu. From there go to Game>Game Data Utility. Delete the game data and title updates for Skyrim. Note: Game Data is not the same as your game saves. As long as you're not deleting anything from the game saves folder, you'll still have your saves. Once you restart Skyrim, you'll need to wait for the 1.5 title update to reinstall, as well as the mandatory game data install."

#16 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

Good luck finishing the Thieves Guild stuff if you haven't already. A few of those missions rely on going underwater.

#17 Edited by RyanD (93 posts) -

@Superfriend said:

Bethesda said you should delete your game data (not the savefile) and install the patch again.

Patch changes how the underwater is rendered. It has some fake depth of field effects now (at least on PC and 360) and the bug Greg found during the 24 Hours Marathon where you can see through the water is gone. Oh and there are new finishers and slo-mo cams for a lot of kills including bow and magic. So, yeah compared to past Beth games this is heavenly post release support.

Edit: Bethesda quote: "We've seen reports of users having issues with the game freezing up when entering water. If you're having this issue, head to the PlayStation XMB menu. From there go to Game>Game Data Utility. Delete the game data and title updates for Skyrim. Note: Game Data is not the same as your game saves. As long as you're not deleting anything from the game saves folder, you'll still have your saves. Once you restart Skyrim, you'll need to wait for the 1.5 title update to reinstall, as well as the mandatory game data install."

I'm gonna try this and see if anything changes. Thanks for inputting the quote

UPDATE: yep, that totally works. My argonian no longer has to be terrified of water

#18 Posted by Mjdemon (24 posts) -

trying to fix it now. didnt find out about this until escaping some guards and jumping off a bridge into water and bam Froze. Then during a quest needed to swim to pull a lever for a bridge and would freeze everytime and i realized the problem. Really sucks.

#19 Posted by Falcon5008 (76 posts) -

@Claude: Im currently on my work laptop, but I appreciate you replying, I will try this when I get home. Thank you very much.

#20 Posted by Falcon5008 (76 posts) -

@RyanD: If you say it works I will have to take your word for it, Im currently on my work laptop, so I will try it when I get home. Thank you very much.

#21 Posted by yakov456 (1897 posts) -

Just had this happen to me, last patch seemed to fix most of my problems and now this patch brings s back to square one. Christ almighty Bethesda.

#22 Posted by The_Nubster (2038 posts) -

@yakov456 said:

Just had this happen to me, last patch seemed to fix most of my problems and now this patch brings s back to square one. Christ almighty Bethesda.

Delete game data and reinstall. Huge hassle, but it works.

#23 Posted by Bollard (5208 posts) -

1.05? Thought it was 1.5?

#24 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

I literally thought you meant that they added a feature where you would freeze to death if you stayed underwater for too long.

#25 Posted by DeaPGalaxy (3 posts) -

I was dreading the patch and tested going underwater and of course it froze. Luckily deleting the game data and reinstalling the patch worked!

#26 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Well glad in done playing that game. Also I won't be buying the dlc because it's bound to be fucked

#27 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2535 posts) -

I skipped patch 1.4 so when I installed 1.5 four days ago I didn't have taht issue. I think anyone who just stopped playing and picks it up again won't have the issue. Oh...that game still sucks donkey ballz...but at least it doesn't freeze.

#28 Posted by Praedos (23 posts) -

Lost hope in PS3 version. Shitty port is shitty

#29 Posted by benspyda (2018 posts) -

Bethesda are pro PS3 coders it seems.

#30 Posted by fisk0 (3778 posts) -

@benspyda said:

Bethesda are pro PS3 coders it seems.

Regardless of platform, I think. That's why their games should be played on PC - not because Bethesda made the game run better there, but because there's a huge mod community there, that apart from the popular mods also create unofficial patches.

#31 Edited by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

I play on the Xbox 360 and recently I've been getting some serious frame rate drops.

#32 Posted by Superkenon (1353 posts) -

This issue aside, it feels like the PS3 version's actually been getting steadily better with patches. They were so close...!

#33 Posted by SgtCarlMc (5 posts) -

Just goes to show ppl,how some haven't a clue on Characters attributes. Argonians are water-breathing lizards, thats why I always choose them, the ability of breathing underwater without apparatus of any kind

#34 Posted by Galiant (2176 posts) -

@Claude said:

@Falcon5008: I've read that if you do this it will fix the problem on the PS3.

Several people have experienced a game freezing glitch when diving into water after downloading the US patch, myself included. If you have this problem try deleting your game data and the update, and then reinstalling. Do not delete your save file. This should fix the problem.

Worked for me!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.