Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

360 "review" copy leaked already

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By alternate

I know they usually do but 10 days seems like some kind of record (probably not).

Wasn't Brad just boasting to Jeff how fast his ISP upload was? :D

So far an awful lot of bedroom pirates butt-hurt about how low res some of the textures are up close.

"OMG! WTF is this shit? This looks worse than Oblivion. Ima gonna wait for the PC release. Waste of a Verb. Fuck this derpbox crap!"

No Caption Provided
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

Sorry for asking, but isn't this pretty much the normal thing now? I feel like this always happens before a big multiplatform game is released, maybe that's just me.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By alternate

@Cloudenvy said:

Sorry for asking, but isn't this pretty much the normal thing now? I feel like this always happens before a big multiplatform game is released, maybe that's just me.

I guess. I am not that up on the "scene" but it is usually more like a few days I think. Indie games stores sell it early and such. Maybe a week early if someone walks away from the disc pressing plant or the distribution hub. 10 days means - to me anyway - says someone was trusted with a copy who should not have been.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Judging from that video that came out of the starting of the game, the textures on the console versions(At least 360) are indeed awful.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Contro

Yea, well sacrifices have to be made in a game of this type on consoles, games like these are pushing 360 and PS3 to their limits, mainly because of their dated RAM which is required to stream large packets of data within open world games.

A few dodgy looking textures wont put fans off, they can be easily remedied.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RankRabbit

I just want to know about the bugs and how long I should wait for bethesda to fix the game as much as possible.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rowr

Well considering RAGE has the same publisher, i'm going to go ahead and believe the low texture stuff - and on that basis I doubt the PC version is any different.

Recently John Carmack from ID stated that he doubted they would bother releasing a high texture pack for RAGE for PC because - "blah blah no-one cares about PC anymore they arent our market blah blah"

Coming from ID and the father of FPS and a PC game developer idol.

So yeh, nice one Bethesda.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CL60

@Rowr said:

Well considering RAGE has the same publisher, i'm going to go ahead and believe the low texture stuff - and on that basis I doubt the PC version is any different.

The hell does the publisher have to do with anything? And they've shown lots of footage of the PC version and the textures aren't that bad.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By themangalist
    @Rowr said:

Well two entirely different developers known for doing entirely different things on two entirely different engines... i don't think that factors into anything.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rattle618

@Rowr said:

Well the good news is that even if textures look like ass on pc a mod for it will surface eventually and problem solved.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rowr

@CL60 said:

@Rowr said:

The hell does the publisher have to do with anything? And they've shown lots of footage of the PC version and the textures aren't that bad.

@themangalist said:

@Rowr said:

Well two entirely different developers known for doing entirely different things on two entirely different engines... i don't think that factors into anything.

Yeh ok granted the PC version is bound to look much better.

But do you think ID voluntarily made a console game with a shitty pc port?

That was surely Bethesda's call.

Edit = i guess what i'm trying to say, is after seeing what happened to rage it would not at all suprise me to see that the PC version of Skyrim is mostly a console port. The low resolution issue is something that has surfaced on PC for RAGE.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By geirr

Well that's kinda sad but also expected. :<

However the PC version might look when this game is published, I can guarantee that the huuuge mod community will make everything look better .. and in some cases more interesting.

.. Unless the construction kit has been removed. Which I hope it hasn't!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sooty

@pepsimaxofborg said:

Well that's kinda sad but also expected. :<

However the PC version might look when this game is published, I can guarantee that the huuuge mod community will make everything look better .. and in some cases more interesting.

.. Unless the construction kit has been removed. Which I hope it hasn't!

Fallout 3 had pretty good textures on PC (in places, the ground detail was always pretty sharp for example) and I doubt Skyrim is going to look any worse than Fallout 3 did.

@Rowr said:

@CL60 said:

@Rowr said:

@themangalist said:

@Rowr said:

Yeh ok granted the PC version is bound to look much better.

Edit = i guess what i'm trying to say, is after seeing what happened to rage it would not at all suprise me to see that the PC version of Skyrim is mostly a console port. The low resolution issue is something that has surfaced on PC for RAGE.

I don't really care about what ID did or whatever they do, they haven't made a good game since Quake III.

I'm not sure what you are talking about anyway, as RAGE on PC has MUCH better textures than the console version, you'll want to open these in a new tab for full size:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/media/92/grafikduell_259231b.jpg

http://www.gamereactor.eu/media/92/grafikduell_259233b.jpg

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrOldboy

Not surprised at all. It does get frustrating that pirates are able to play a game for free (minus bandwidth and time and whatever else they need to do it) and EARLY when people patiently waiting for a game that is completely finished to be released. I wonder if any publisher would release a major game early because of a leaked copy. Might make the pub look bad to major media sources, but you already let us preload the game, unlocking it once a leak is made public would definitely give them some cred on the internets. Ignoring the fact that your game was leaked over a week early only pushes more people towards piracy. This specific leak doesn't affect me at all. But if the PC version was leaked and cracked early I would be majorly pissed off right now, if it is dont tell me.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bioblood22

Anyone else think this idiot wasn't on an HD tv?

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

We are way over due for new consoles if you ask me. The hardware in those machines is so outdated, I am surprised developers can make the games look as good as they do.

theWarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By theWarren

I would be interested to see if more companies would do the "Hi Rez Texture Packs" that they did with Battlefield. If you have the hard drive space and an internet connection, you get a better looking version. I don't see how that's a bad thing. I'm sure that's always something that could be done after the fact too.

I'd really like to see it start a trend. If we have to wait two more years for new consoles, find a good work around to squeeze the most we can get out of these consoles.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

@Rowr said:

Recently John Carmack from ID stated that he doubted they would bother releasing a high texture pack for RAGE for PC because - "blah blah no-one cares about PC anymore they arent our market blah blah"

Coming from ID and the father of FPS and a PC game developer idol.

So yeh, nice one Bethesda.

id != Bethesda.

While it's true that they are both part of the parent company Zenimax, they are completely separate entities. In short, John Carmack and RAGE have nothing to do with Skyrim.

EDIT: The previous posters already covered this, it seems :/

Yes, Skyrim was definitely developed for consoles, but Bethesda has a much better track record than id does when it comes to this sort of thing. Worst case scenario, I'll be installing a day-one bugfix through Steam.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BasketSnake

I just watched "the making of" video on my xbox. It looks great! I think once people fire up their console copies they won't be disappointed.

Tumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tumbler

As a consumer I don't really care if people are playing the game once it's been shipped to stores. I know they want everyone to wait until the launch day but I feel like the game is "released" the moment it's out of the warehouse and on the way to stores. After that it seems like a silly game stores play to try and keep the game out of the public hands until "launch" day. I don't even consider this a leak. Some people get it before me. Oh well.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By scarace360

Did you really expect it not to look like shit up close on 6 year old hardware.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hitchenson

Textures looking not-good on hardware so old, I'm surprised you don't have to turn a cog to get it to run, in a large open world game? Hot damn. I'm shocked.

Next someone will moan they have jaggies in their console games.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Hitchenson said:

Next someone will moan they have jaggies in their console games.

Next? someone did this a few days ago on this very forum!

They're waaaaaaaay ahead of you.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson

@Cloudenvy: Why. Just, why.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DonPixel

I BLAME ON JIM STERLING!

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By landon

I saw the the first 20 minutes or so of the Xbox version on youtube before it got deleted. The game looked great. But, it's a big open world game, that kind of stuff is pretty much expected.

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Hashbrowns

Just going by the walk through Howard narrated, I'm still very impressed with how this game is looking.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Hitchenson said:

@Cloudenvy: Why. Just, why.

Only to lower your opinion of this forum!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iamjohn

@Rowr said:

Yeah, it's not like that game was in development for years and had multiple publishers but was always intended to be a game on consoles with an engine optimized to run on consoles or anything. You figured it out, it was all Bethesda's doing in the two years they've owned iD (even though Rage has been in development since back when iD had a publishing deal with Activision).

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrOldboy

ES games are not about the visuals, people need to accept this. Be grateful a large and expansive game world even exists in 2011. Bethesda could have easily made a much smaller, condensed, better looking, less-buggy, and directed game. I was full expecting a bait-and-switch with Skyrim.

New engine, it'll look better, play better. But the cost would be a smaller game world when players were expecting a large expansive one. I might have accepted this scenario, but in the end I am glad Bethesda continues to make games the way they do.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By Jost1

People who moan about textures oughta shampoo my crotch

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bioblood22

@Jost1 said:

^Quote of the week^

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Jost1

@bioblood22 said:

@Jost1 said:

^Quote of the week^

:D

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Obsidian

It's ridiculous how early all the big games leak on the 360 and yet every publisher still just cries about piracy on the PC. At least once the 11th rolls around I'll get to see some stupidly high res textures on my PC.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By Cincaid

@bioblood22 said:

@Jost1 said:

^Quote of the week^

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Review copy of Fallout 3 leaked on the 360 almost a month before it was in stores. It was madness I tell you!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.