A question about Conjuration.

#1 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Since I have been eagerly awaiting Skyrim, one thing I have done to pass the time is start thinking of how a Battlemage would work, and since the conjuration skill allows you to summon weapons such as blades and bows to use in battle; I was wondering how the following would work.

Example: You Conjure a dagger and have a perk that makes daggers do 15X sneak damage, and then you hit an enemy from behind. Which skill do you get XP for, and would your other perks from different skills affect your conjured weapons? It's not anything game breaking either way, but just something I was curious about.

#2 Posted by Aishan (1009 posts) -

Historically, Conjuration gets it increases at the point of summoning. That is, when you cast Bound Weapon or Summon Creature, you get some progress towards your skill up. You do not gain anything else while it is still active, only when it expires and you resummon a replacement.

I would imagine when you hit something with a Bound Weapon, the skill-gains would go towards the weapon type (One-Hand, Two-Hand, or Archery), and they should still get the benefit of any type-based perk as, from a mechanical, behind-the-scenes standpoint, all the game is doing is putting a weightless version of a weapon into your hands for the duration of the spell.

#3 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

@Aishan said:

Historically, Conjuration gets it increases at the point of summoning. That is, when you cast Bound Weapon or Summon Creature, you get some progress towards your skill up. You do not gain anything else while it is still active, only when it expires and you resummon a replacement.

I would imagine when you hit something with a Bound Weapon, the skill-gains would go towards the weapon type (One-Hand, Two-Hand, or Archery), and they should still get the benefit of any type-based perk as, from a mechanical, behind-the-scenes standpoint, all the game is doing is putting a weightless version of a weapon into your hands for the duration of the spell.

+1 This is pretty much how I see it working.

#4 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

@Aishan: Interesting, thank you.

#5 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

@Aishan: That's how it worked in the previous game, yeah. But that bound bow didn't seem like any weapon I've ever seen. I wonder if they even show up in your inventory since they don't even seem to be made of anything other than magic. Still, you're using just like the actual weapon so I don't see why it wouldn't raise that weapon skill.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.