Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Activating Skyrim on Steam?

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By theQman121

I was looking through Steam's list of Retail CD Keys that Steam accepts. Skyrim makes that list, but I have a question about it. If I buy the physical disk, which is Games For Windows Live, and activate that key on Steam, will I essentially get the same benefits I would get via Steam online purchase? I'm really interested in buying this game after it comes out, and I would really like a physical copy. But if the retail activation won't give me Steamworks and such, I'll just buy it on steam.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThePaleKing

Skyrim does not use GFWL, it uses Steamworks. Which means that even if you buy it on disc, you will be forced to register it on steam. You can use the disc to speed up the install/download process though, like how it worked with Fallout NV, Metro 2033 and some others. 

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By theQman121

I misunderstood Amazon's box art with Games for Windows as being GFWL. Oops. Thanks! Really happy that the physical copy uses Steamworks.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Wuddel

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Anyone knows if this game has steam achievement. Apparently I am a sucker for that ...

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By emergency

@Wuddel said:

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Anyone knows if this game has steam achievement. Apparently I am a sucker for that ...

Most likely, when a game uses Steamworks it usually will get achievements to boot.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wuddel

@emergency: Well, it's not on the site. In contrast to the XBL ones. Hmm....

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By JP_Russell

@Wuddel said:

@emergency: Well, it's not on the site. In contrast to the XBL ones. Hmm....

Steam achievements for a game usually don't show up even on their Steam store page until after the game has released.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Crash_Happy

@theQman121: How could you do such a thing? Confusing GFW with GFWL!

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wuddel
    @JP_Russell Ah. Didn't notice that so far. Thanks.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Bollard

@ThePaleKing said:

Skyrim does not use GFWL, it uses Steamworks. Which means that even if you buy it on disc, you will be forced to register it on steam. You can use the disc to speed up the install/download process though, like how it worked with Fallout NV, Metro 2033 and some others.

This is the perfect first post!

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DystopiaX

@Chavtheworld said:

@ThePaleKing said:

This is the perfect first post!

That and the physical map is why I chose to buy a disk. Not going to play at midnight anyway and I'd rather not wait for a 6gb download to play.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SSully

@theQman121: You aren't the only one being confused by the GFWL box art. I almost held off on buying until I could download from steam because of that. Turns out it is just published by GFWL, but Bethesda refused to use their shitty service, so it is steam works. So everyone wins!

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Adamsons
    @SSully said:

@theQman121: You aren't the only one being confused by the GFWL box art. I almost held off on buying until I could download from steam because of that. Turns out it is just published by GFWL, but Bethesda refused to use their shitty service, so it is steam works. So everyone wins!

It's Games for Windows, not GFWL, its just a Microsoft brand that means essentially nothing, except that you can play the game on Windows.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Animasta

@Adamsons said:

@SSully said:

It's Games for Windows, not GFWL, its just a Microsoft brand that means essentially nothing, except that you can play the game on Windows.

you mean I can't play skyrim on ubuntu? LAME.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BonOrbitz

@SSully said:

Thank goodness. I'm new to Windows 7 and the Games for Windows Live service and it's been a fucking headache for me so far... And all I wanted to do was play Bioshock 2!

I won't go into the details unless anyone wants them, but because of GFWL I got the dreaded Win 7 "bootmgr is missing" error and then Bioshock 2 had a problem locating its save files. Both problems are fixed now, but if I can help it I won't purchase any games that use that service.

Anyway, because of that Skyrim's box art almost gave me a heart attack!

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hitchenson

@Wuddel said:

It does, they were on the Skyrim page on Steam for a brief while the other day, then got taken down. People had already unlocked them as there were % stats filled for each one. Alas, I didn't take a pic, I had just assumed they were up to view. They're the same as the console achievements.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Skyrim is a steamworks game, so if you buy the retail version it will need to be activated on Steam.

akzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By akzo

On another note...

This is the first Steam game that I've preordered. Don't know why I did it, I didn't see any type of extra stuff that would be included, but I don't care about that stuff anyway.

Is there a way to have the game automatically download once it becomes available, or will it show up and begin the download the next time I start up Steam (like updates and such)?

Thanks.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JP_Russell

@akzo said:

On another note...

This is the first Steam game that I've preordered. Don't know why I did it, I didn't see any type of extra stuff that would be included, but I don't care about that stuff anyway.

Is there a way to have the game automatically download once it becomes available, or will it show up and begin the download the next time I start up Steam (like updates and such)?

Thanks.

You'll have to start it yourself, but you should be able to preload it eventually before it releases.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Crono

Hopefully we will be able to preload the game on Steam here soon... I want it on my hard drive!!!

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By EdIsCool

@DystopiaX: preloading = no wait, map is definitely worth the physical copy though.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DystopiaX

@EdIsCool said:

@DystopiaX: preloading = no wait, map is definitely worth the physical copy though.

Last time I forgot to preload until like 5 hours before, still wasn't done. Shit college internet+steam being hammered I guess.

MasonL87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MasonL87

I want to be able to preload it tomorrow, then at midnight on thursday i'll remote into my machine from work and have it decrypt for me while im on my way home. It's a foolproof plan.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SSully

@bonorbitz: Trust me I felt the same way. I didn't get bulletstorm working on my PC until about 2 weeks after I got the game because of a series of stupid little errors and verification bullshit on GFWL.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By TomA

I would get Skyrim on steam but I must build my Elder Scrolls map collection.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Sooty

I was able to find a boxed copy for $17 cheaper than the Steam version, so I was mighty pleased to find out I'd just be putting a code into Steam.

Edit: "Your order for The Elder Scrolls - Skyrim has now been picked, packed and despatched to you."

Yay for early games. Nay for not being able to play it early because of Steam and its release date checker. Fuck modern gaming. Fuck the man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FYI, preload is now ready for Skyrim. So start downloading it!

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By procrasturbate

hustling to get it. gotta get paiiiiiiid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.