Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Advice for a 2 handed melee warrior having trouble against magic

Lonely_Ogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Lonely_Ogre

So I think there's other topics with general advice, but I couldn't find any that matched my circumstance. I'm only a level 15, playing as an orc with most of my perks in 2 handed combat (hammer) and Heavy armor. Here's the deal: When I go up to a group of people with swords, arrows, maces, etc. I wipe them out easily (without even putting berserk mode) but as soon as there are any kind of magicians, I have a hard time killing 2 or three without dying.

So when I level up, what should I focus on, instead of 2 handed, armor, or healing? Those are pretty much what I've been upgrading, because I just want to play as a tank character. Should I learn some kind of enchantment that protects me from magic attacks?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Junkerman

Magic becomes a joke in the game if you get the Artonoach Stone buff. Probably spelt that wrong but use google. Basically it makes you highly resistant to magic, and magic attacks recharge your mana. So worst case scenario you switch to a heal spell pump up, then go back to hammering away. Also look into alchemy and poisons, or enchanting and get some magic resist.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ABritishNerd

I would recommend a good ward, they protect against magic and you could simply quick switch back to your hammer. You can get the one I linked to by doing the first College of Winterhold mission.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Adamsons

Whirlwind sprint!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

You could always go down the Enchantment path and make some magic resisting equipment. Yeah I know you're a tank character but you should have enough points to spend on a little enchanting. Plus it's a great money maker too. Alternatively, having a companion around helps spread the aggro around.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My advice is: HIT THEM HARDER!

Seriously though, kind of got to brute force your way through them, drink health potions and knock them over with your Unrelenting Force shout. You should be able to stun most mage-types with a power attack, that should help a lot.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Yanngc33

That's odd, I'm a level 14 Nord and I also use heavy armor and a hammer and I have no problem with them. Just rush them, dodging their projectile attacks and slaughter them

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AxleBro

@Yanngc33:

they get worse later on.... I've been randomly 1 shotted by an icicle getting a headshot on me. it's pretty dumb.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AxleFGK said:

@Yanngc33:

they get worse later on.... I've been randomly 1 shotted by an icicle getting a headshot on me. it's pretty dumb.

Yeah, I was in a tunnel and got two shot by a lighting spell in a hallway with nowhere to hide or dodge. Magic can feel a bit cheap at times, but if you know you're about to fight a mage it's usually easy if you Unrelenting Force them and then power attack them into oblivion. (HA OBLIVION!)

Lonely_Ogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lonely_Ogre

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys! This is why I love the Giantbomb community *tears well* haha

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx

@Yanngc33: Ya at higher level some magic decimates (like the storm magic some of the boss type mages have).

My advice is either use the sprint or look into alchemy or enchanting. The knock back shout (Unrelenting force) works really well too. Only ones you really have to worry about are the boss type mages (the ones that are harder to kill)- their cronies are always push overs.

Only thing that annoys me is I get challenges to duels and I have specced with no interest in magic so I have no idea why they think I want to wizard duel them. They wont even let you say no and then you fight 'em with melee and they whine at you 'cus you aren't using magic. haha

Bunch of whiny NPC mages =P

Lonely_Ogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lonely_Ogre

@Yanngc33 said:

That's odd, I'm a level 14 Nord and I also use heavy armor and a hammer and I have no problem with them. Just rush them, dodging their projectile attacks and slaughter them

You're probably just a lot better at the game haha. I'm really not very good! I think it's partly because I never really upgrade my stamina, so there were these 4 Justicar's and they kept running away out of reach haha. I did kill them, it was just a lot harder than normal haha.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By project343

Playing a Battlemage. And honestly, there are few things that give me more trouble than a high level wizard enemy (I'm at level 40ish). My best advice is to use the environment to win. I know this sounds like breaking the game, but it isn't. If there's a large pillar in the room, hide behind the pillar until he comes close enough, then stomp his face with your sword.

Bethesda did good with the mages in this game. They feel weak and fragile, but will totally destroy you with their spells. Finding a way to close that gap and stagger them is bar-none the most important thing for you to figure out in any combat situation.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By alexl86

The Atronach stone, as suggested. It's the quick-fix , and doesn't rely on perks or overly specific equipment. It's south of Windhelm, I think. If you're not above using magic, wards can mitigate some damage, but spells and 2H weapons are generally incompatible. The Alteration tree has perks that makes dealing with mages a lot easier, +30 resist magic and 30% spell absorption(getting both requires 100 Alteration and 8 perks, so it's probably a no go). The best way for a non-magic character to deal with magic damage is probably potions and enchantments. Resist magic enchantments up to 100 makes you immune, so magic won't affect you at all.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

I'm specced similarly and have issues with higher level fire and lightning mages (as a Nord, I'm resistant to ice).

I'll usually use the Ice Form shout (the one that freezes enemies) in the general direction of whoever's dealing the most hurt. It's got a decent spread so I can generally drop the entire mob of casters if I stack them up in a hallway.

From there, it's just a matter of focusing on them one at a time so the whole crowd doesn't get back up at the same time.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster

Armor enchanted with Magic Resist and Fortify Health should do the trick. You can never have too much health.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Subjugation
    No Caption Provided
    The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ruiner

Invest in your armor perks. And find enchanted stuff when you can.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By briangodsoe
    @Ravenlight said:

I'm specced similarly and have issues with higher level fire and lightning mages (as a Nord, I'm resistant to ice).

I'll usually use the Ice Form shout (the one that freezes enemies) in the general direction of whoever's dealing the most hurt. It's got a decent spread so I can generally drop the entire mob of casters if I stack them up in a hallway.

From there, it's just a matter of focusing on them one at a time so the whole crowd doesn't get back up at the same time.

I was fighting with a really tough fire mage where nothing seemed to work. Then I turned him into a popsicle and split him in two pieces.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Wuddel

@Lonely_Ogre: "Slow Time" shout

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Neferon

Unrelenting Force is an amazing shout against multiple opponments. Just shout the caster and anything else you can hit through the room. Then proceed to repeatedly apply your hammer directly to the caster's forehead.

@Wuddel said:

@Lonely_Ogre: "Slow Time" shout

This also works :D

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Stahlbrand

Fush Ro Da! And then smash them with your hammer while they're picking themselves up.

I roll two-handed hammer as well, and I also find Slow Time is good, but knocking them down with lv3 force shout (or even staggering them with lv1) is better.

I'm a nord so 50% ice resist, and I lucked into some 40% fire boots, so mages are not as much a threat as they were, so think about getting some elemental resist gear.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grillbar

@Lonely_Ogre said:

So I think there's other topics with general advice, but I couldn't find any that matched my circumstance. I'm only a level 15, playing as an orc with most of my perks in 2 handed combat (hammer) and Heavy armor. Here's the deal: When I go up to a group of people with swords, arrows, maces, etc. I wipe them out easily (without even putting berserk mode) but as soon as there are any kind of magicians, I have a hard time killing 2 or three without dying.

So when I level up, what should I focus on, instead of 2 handed, armor, or healing? Those are pretty much what I've been upgrading, because I just want to play as a tank character. Should I learn some kind of enchantment that protects me from magic attacks?

what i did was 2 handed. heavy armor. and thats it. just walk up to them and kill em' with 1 or 2 power attacks done deal

Avatar image for iichristian89ii
    IIChristian89II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IIChristian89II

you can stop them from casting momentarily if you run up close and his them with a block bash attack thingy (memory has slipped). then you can lay into them and when they start casting just do it again.

Plus...alchemy! I have about 20 resist magic pots in my inventor at the moment. They come in so handy so take up alchemy (its better than resto magic for healing too IMO)

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

It can get pretty difficult if you're facing some powerful spellcasters. Slow time is helpful, as is unrelenting force, marked for death and elemental fury. As mentioned the Atronach sign absorbs some mana from incoming spells. Finally, you can buy, find or enchant items with a resist magic enchantment. The mask of Otar the Mad, aptly named - Otar also works well. 

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Beaudacious

Um stab them through the stomach with a great-sword? Seems to work for me quite well.

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Talis12

im a level 39 dark elf and im using 2handed + heavy armor.. mostly using the ebony hammer. some of the mages can be tricky but they arent very strong.. dodge the first attack and then rush them, 1 or 2 heavy hits should kill them. if you arent strong enough make use of health potions and healing or resort to taking them down with archery.

if you have it, the ice from shout works well.. specially if you have multiple to fight at once. make cubes out of 2 of them and focus on the 3rd

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fetchfox

@Lonely_Ogre: I have the exact same build, orc, heavy armor and two handed sword. As others have said, use your unrelenting force push (third level is most effective), and spawn and or bring a companion so that the attacks are spread out on you both. When you get in close, they are as good as dead. I've also invested heavily in alchemy which has really helped me at times. Combine that with alchemy+ gear and make some super potions. You're still at a low enough level to invest in alchemy and/or enchanting, so look into it. And dammit, spend more points on stamina. Heavy attacks are expensive stamina wise, so you really want to buff yourself up in that apartment. Good luck orc brotha!

cdstacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cdstacker

Put magicka damage on your weapon. Wizards without magical are just pathetic melee goons.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Tennmuerti

Just would like my voice to the rest:
    The Atronach Stone is the fastest, easiest most effective way to make magic using enemies much less of a threat.

Alternatively there are perks, items, enchants to reduce magic dammage.
    But really the Atronach Stone requires the least investment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.