Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Any info on the PC version yet?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

I have been following this game since it came out, but other then the odd after thought mention that it was coming out to PC, and them revealing the system specs today, I have never seen or heard word one about the PC release for this game to date. I must just not be looking in the right places, but I mean I have seen/heard literally nothing about what they are doing with the PC release and I was wondering with it only being a few weeks out if anyone has found anything yet. A single screen shot? An interview where they talk about it? Anything? They even made the people at PC Gamer play the god dam 360 version for crying out loud.

I was planning to buy this game next pay check, but given how they can't even seem to muster the effort to to even talk about it I think I'm going to wait and see what others have to say about it. It just feels like they are trying to hide it for some strange reason, and in this day and age where PC gets the shit end of all the sticks when it comes to multiplatform releases it leaves me worried that it's going to be an atrocious port or that they will pull a Ubisoft and delay the PC release for 6 months at the last second.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shookems

It will be exactly the same, just with mod support, higher resolution, and better framerate provided you have adequate hardware

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By mosdl

Steam lists it as November, and the game is fully Steamworks I believe so they seem to be caring about it.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

Yo have you seen the 360 footage?

Like that, but at 1080p and 60 fps if your rig can handle it.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Commisar123

Yeah essentially its the same as the 360 version except a little better looking and with steamworks.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By sfighter21

@Doctorchimp said:

Yo have you seen the 360 footage?

Like that, but at 1080p and 60 fps if your rig can handle it.

All right. Good enough for me. Lol.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crusader8463

Poo. As I thought. Just assumptions but nothing official. Oh well.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Cataphract1014

@crusader8463 said:

What else do you need?

It was true for Oblivion. It was true for Fallout 3. It was true for New Vegas. Bethseda doesn't ignore the PC players. It has the same release date as the console versions.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Seeing as the recommended system requirements is a like a 300 dollar PC you can safely assume it will look quite bad. As long as it isn't as low res/stiff/looks like shit as FNV and the others, then I'm ok.

McFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By McFly

@crusader8463: You're being unreasonably cynical.

Bethesda's PC versions are always the ones with official mod support & toolkits, higher resolution textures, better frame-rate and better patch support (doubly so now with Steamworks). Yeah, PC gamers sure are getting stuffed by developers these days.

I swear...you never this kind of stuff from PS3 owners, who literally got the worst versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3. The PC version of these games was the best (especially after a few months of mods), while the PS3 version made Obsidian look like the industry benchmark for quality control.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shookems

@Ertard: Woah, buddy. Good optimization does not equal bad graphics. Consider the 360 came out in what, 2006? They made the game look great on there, so they should be able to do it on older pc hardware.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Cataphract1014 said:

@crusader8463 said:

What else do you need?

It was true for Oblivion. It was true for Fallout 3. It was true for New Vegas. Bethseda doesn't ignore the PC players. It has the same release date as the console versions.

sound like the OP is expecting a personal visit from Tod Howard for a sit down chat and a blow job to thank him for once buy a PC game

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BonOrbitz

Latest issue of PC Gamer has Skyrim as the cover story. Haven't read it yet, but you might want to check that out.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

@jetsetwillie said:

sound like the OP is expecting a personal visit from Tod Howard for a sit down chat and a blow job to thank him for once buy a PC game

Does that come as part of the Collector's Edition?

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Ravenlight said:

@jetsetwillie said:

Does that come as part of the Collector's Edition?

pre-order bonus.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crusader8463

@jetsetwillie said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

@crusader8463 said:

What else do you need?

He's not my type so no thanks on the BJ, but how exactly is asking them to do at least one interview/preview somewhere where they talk about what they are doing on the PC version asking so god dam much? I just want to hear some official statement from them saying what they are doing with it. Apparently that's asking too much these days.

@McFly said:

@crusader8463: You're being unreasonably cynical.

Bethesda's PC versions are always the ones with official mod support & toolkits, higher resolution textures, better frame-rate and better patch support (doubly so now with Steamworks). Yeah, PC gamers sure are getting stuffed by developers these days.

I swear...you never this kind of stuff from PS3 owners, who literally got the worst versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3. The PC version of these games was the best (especially after a few months of mods), while the PS3 version made Obsidian look like the industry benchmark for quality control.

Becasue PS3 games are exact carbon copies of the 360 ones with nothing more then the button prompts changed to reflect the different controller, and the games are, for all intents and purposes, played with the exact same input device. So if it plays fine on the 360 it's going to play fine on the PS3. When you get the odd time where it doesn't run well on the PS3 because of it being poorly optimized you do hear nothing but complaining, and justifiably so, about it. Leading up to the games release however PS3 owners can watch the same 360 footage and know that's the same game they are going to be getting. PC however has a completely different input device that can require a different UI design and tons of little changes to take advantage of the things you can do with a MKB that you can't with a controller. One of the first mods people make for these games is a UI mod to do all the stuff PC gamers expect from the games that they never do, so I wanted to know if they are actually going to do these things from the get go or should I wait a few months and let the mod community do all the work to make the UI what it should have been.

As for their history with PC releases, I don't believe in judging a new game based on the old ones. I have been burned too many times doing that. So I take each game on its own merits, and so far this game has had zero talk about the PC version which leaves me feeling uneasy on it.

@bonorbitz said:

Latest issue of PC Gamer has Skyrim as the cover story. Haven't read it yet, but you might want to check that out.

I'm hoping to, but I just subscribed and I'm not sure if that will be my first issue I get or the one after, so I don't want to go buy one and end up with two copies. As for the content of the article, I hope I'm wrong, but I recall reading in several different places that they didn't even get to base that article on the PC release but on the 360 ones shown off at some press event. If they did get to base it off the PC release then I will poor over every word of it, but I don't think that's the case sadly.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@crusader8463:

• Bethesda games are always best on PC. There's no ifs and or buts about that and they have already stated that it will look and move the best on PC.
    • Oblivion was technically better on PS3 than 360, better textures, better rendering effects and more variety in terms of models. That's because it came out later.
    • I'm not sure if you've been following Skyrim but the UI is designed to be universal and takes up the whole screen in every context from map to levelling to spell/weapons selection and inventory. The Inventory has rotatable, fully rendered items which can zoom in on too.
    • It will be a fine PC release. This is 2011 not 2005.
    TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@crusader8463 said:

I have been following this game since it came out, but other then the odd after thought mention that it was coming out to PC

Wait... it's coming out on the PC? Whoa... Mind blown.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rentfn

I thought this was going to be about the specs being released...sad panda. I'm excited for the PC version. YAY Mods.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Bollard

It's a console port with minimal DX11 support, but it will have mods so the console version is irrelevant.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Wait until it's out and see? Past Bethesda games have always been great on PC. Just like Oblivion which was mainly featured on the 360, the PC version was fantastic.

These dudes know how to make PC games, plus ports have gotten much better than they used to be.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Chavtheworld said:

It's a console port with minimal DX11 support, but it will have mods so the console version is irrelevant.

Minimal? I thought it had zero DX11 stuff in it. Colour me surprised. : )

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Chavtheworld said:

Wait so it will have some DX11 support? I thought it was just going to be straight up DX9. The recommended specs don't even require a DX11 card, and I would imagine at least recommended settings would implement DX11 features, unless those are relegated to ultra settings.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bollard

@Cloudenvy: @wolf_blitzer85: Yeah, as far as I know you aren't forced to have a DX11 card, but the Ultra settings will offer it for those that want it.

See linky

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Chavtheworld said:

@Cloudenvy: @wolf_blitzer85: Yeah, as far as I know you aren't forced to have a DX11 card, but the Ultra settings will offer it for those that want it.

See linky

Neat, looking forward to some pretty effects then!

Hopefully I won't hate the game. : (

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By david3cm

Here are the system requirements for the PC!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bollard

@Cloudenvy: Mmm, yes and no. Although they are using it, the article makes it sound like the only reason they did was that it was easier for them to make the game with DX11 for PCs than keeping it DX9.

"I guess the real question here is do we take advantage of DirectX 11's big new features and the answer is 'not specifically,'"

Sounds like DX11 is just for optimisation at the higher graphical levels, rather than for fancy things like what the Crysis 2 DX11 patch added. But, there's always a chance it could have some of that too. And at least it will obviously run smoother and look way crisper than consoles.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Gav47

My biggest worry atm is the fact that the game install is only 6GB. I hope we're not getting the same textures as the console versions.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mostman

@Gav47: Yeah. As I said in another thread, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go PC version with a 360 controller. If, however, the benefits are minimal on the PC over the console (excluding mods), I'll probably just get the 360 version. I'm an achievement whore anyway - even though I only have 12k points :)

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ChaosDent
    @Gav47 said:

My biggest worry atm is the fact that the game install is only 6GB. I hope we're not getting the same textures as the console versions.

When they say, "hand crafted dungeons" they don't necessarily mean, "not tile-based." 6 GiB will go a lot farther than it would in a game like RAGE. That said, Oblivion is only about 4 GiB and i'm pretty sure they only shipped the console textures.
    Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gav47

@ChaosDent said:

@Gav47 said:

When they say, "hand crafted dungeons" they don't necessarily mean, "not tile-based." 6 GiB will go a lot farther than it would in a game like RAGE. That said, Oblivion is only about 4 GiB and i'm pretty sure they only shipped the console textures.

Yeah I know, Rage is only 2.5GB without the textures. That said it, would be pretty easy for them to do a high res texture download what with them using Steamworks and all.

ripsaw117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ripsaw117

@Commisar123 said:

Yeah essentially its the same as the 360 version except a little better looking and with steamworks.

A lot better looking and pretty much this and mods too :D

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BonOrbitz

@ripsaw117 said:

@Commisar123 said:

A lot better looking and pretty much this and mods too :D

...and it's a first-person game on a system with a mouse and keyboard.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cataphract1014

@Gav47 said:

Rage was 25GB and it had HORRIBLE, and I mean HORRIBLE textures. Even with the tweaks, and the patch. They were some of the worst textures I've ever seen. Size != quality.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gav47

@Cataphract1014 said:

@Gav47 said:

Rage was 25GB and it had HORRIBLE, and I mean HORRIBLE textures. Even with the tweaks, and the patch. They were some of the worst textures I've ever seen. Size != quality.

Rage's textures were fine unless you were standing face first looking into a wall and their are almost no game available today that will shand up to that scrutiny . Playing that game as you would any other shooter it is, in my opinion, the best looking game released this year.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cataphract1014

@Gav47 said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

@Gav47 said:

Rage's textures were fine unless you were standing face first looking into a wall and their are almost no game available today that will shand up to that scrutiny . Playing that game as you would any other shooter it is, in my opinion, the best looking game released this year.

I think The Witcher 2 is the best looking game out this year.I agree was a great looking game, but the textures weren't amazing.

warpedzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By warpedzappa

They recently released the minimum and recommended requirements. They are actually pretty forgiving.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#38  Edited By Cirdain
    @Cataphract1014

@Gav47 said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

@Gav47 said:

I think The Witcher 2 is the best looking game out this year.I agree was a great looking game, but the textures weren't amazing.

Yeah witcher is pretty good...... wizorbs though.
    miguelkosta76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By miguelkosta76

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.