Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

anyone else having problems with non-stop random dragons?

Troglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Troglet

I'm a level 24 thief, playing on 360, and I'm on one of the beginning story quests where you have to gain access to skyhaven somethingorother (I did tons of thieves guild quests before bothering with the story) and between markarth (the nearest fast travel point) and the quest location I encountered 3 random blood dragons, the first of which killed my horse. Being a thief I'm not to good at healing myself with magic so I make and use potions, 3 blood dragons burn up pretty much all my stock before I've reached the quest area so I have to go back and stock up on some more. This time however I can fast travel to the quest place because I've discovered it. what's the first thing I see after the fast travel loading screen? A blood dragon.

It was at this point I raged and turn off the console, I'm sick to death of these fucking blood dragons every 5 minutes, I have 13 spare dragon souls. 13! fighting a dragon is entertaining when you don't have to do it every time you fast travel or walk past a town/farm, even more so when you have a choice in the matter, some time to prepare, but when I'm trying to do something completely different I keep getting harassed by the damn things.

Has anyone else had this problem? I took a break from the game for a while to wait for a new patch, currently playing on 1.3, or at least the newest 360 patch that I believe to be 1.3 from what I've heard, I'm unsure of how to check the build number. I have a level 27 warrior save and I don't remember it being this bad with the random dragons then so it can't be a "you past this level, BAM dragons!" thing, is it bugged? am I extraordinarily unlucky?

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By B0nd07

The most I've ever run into (on PC) is two; one from fast traveling the other from a dragon roost. Check your map or compass; are you traveling near any dragon icons? Those dragons tend to wake up and patrol every so often. Are you fast traveling or waiting/sleeping outside a lot? From what I've read, and from my own experience, each of these increases the likelihood of a random dragon.

Troglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Troglet

I fast travel quite a bit, and if I ever need to sell things and its night time I will wait in the streets of whiterun for the shops to open, maybe that's it? I'm not passing any dragon icons, Ill boot it back up tomorrow and see if I can't just keep killing until they stop showing up, if not I guess I can just start another character, this is my 3rd, none of them have reached level 30, I tend to do this a lot with Bethesda games, I become very acquainted with the first 20hours and have 1 or 2 saves that complete the game.

PrixDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrixDante

I have that same problem with my lvl 51 character. Every damn time I go to the college an ancient dragon is there. It's such a burden that I don't plan on touching the main quest line on my second character.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Megalon

I never thought I'd say it, but I am so incredibly sick of dragons. There seems to be at least one almost every time I fast travel, and it's driving me bananas. The first couple of times I encountered a dragon I was amazed and really enjoyed the experience. After killing a gazillion...not so much.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By SonicFire

I sometimes ran into a pair...at which point I would summon mine and watch the game go crazy. As for beating them...it's hard to say, I was always stocked on potions, so never noticed much of a problem. Also, by time I hit level 70, not much of a threat (apart from some of the nastier elder dragons)

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By elyk247

Dragons are a pain in the ass. They should have set spawn location, not randomly appear and decimate the townsfolk of Solitude. (This happened in mine......)

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By mikey87144

I guess I have it good then. They don't pop up that frequently but just enough to keep me on my toes. Sometimes they just fly around and don't even attack me.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Khadyn

@mikey87144 said:

I guess I have it good then. They don't pop up that frequently but just enough to keep me on my toes. Sometimes they just fly around and don't even attack me.

This is what usually happens to me now that I restarted over as an Archer and I've only had 1 actually land on top of me and attack...the others usually fly around killing mobs near by or fly off. I'm guessing it's a random spawn thing that links to the Wait/Fast Travel. Then again, I mostly ride horse or foot travel just so I can see the world of Skyrim.

nodachie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By nodachie

Oh yeah, thoughs walls around the city of Whiterun means it's safe from Dragons. No prob, I'll just fast travel with my lvl 50 fighter and restock.

OMG!! A F*cking ELDER Dragon is burning up Whiterun! He's landing on roofs, killing shop keepers, eating gaurds!

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Jadeskye

I had an issue with the college of winterhold, everytime i went there i'd get a dragon to the point where dragon corpses would pile up in the courtyard and make the framerate chug.

confinedbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By confinedbread

@Jadeskye: I have the same exact issue. Luckily, there are no essential characters in the college that can be killed, and most of them are pretty effective with destruction magic. Even so, I'm getting sick of the place looking like the goddamn elephant graveyard.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By sfighter21

Holy crap, I wish I kind of had this problem! I'm not seeing enough Dragons!! And yesterday, when I killed one, his soul didn't absorb into me... and I had NO help from anyone taking it down... so I don't know why that happened. On PC, btw.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Lukeweizer

I don't understand how you can't put atleast 4 perks into Restoration.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By BraveToaster

@sfighter21 said:

Holy crap, I wish I kind of had this problem! I'm not seeing enough Dragons!! And yesterday, when I killed one, his soul didn't absorb into me... and I had NO help from anyone taking it down... so I don't know why that happened. On PC, btw.

Someone made a thread about that a few weeks ago. He couldn't absorb any souls. It's a bug.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By nightriff

Sounds awesome, more dragons would be cool, more dragon armor to sell

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By selbie

Looks like you've got a case of Infinite Dragons. Try not to quick travel so much. I find QT makes dragons spawn much more frequently.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fetchfox

Quick travel certainly spawns more dragons. I'm pretty buffed so dragons aren't really an issue anymore, but I remember the feeling. You have 13 dragon souls? I've now got 34, and ALL shouts. So I got some to spare if folks are interested.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JasonR86

@Troglet:

There was a time when it seemed like every time I quick traveled I had to fight a dragon. But, once I finished the main story, the occurred less often.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Brians

Why son I believe that's the point of the game.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EmuLeader

@Axxol said:

@sfighter21 said:

Someone made a thread about that a few weeks ago. He couldn't absorb any souls. It's a bug.

My friend had a similar problem except he could not unlock new shouts, even when he had the souls to do it. He never got it fixed and was only a problem for one character. So he just made another.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I have a stalker that just keeps circling me and flying away though.

Troglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Troglet

@fetchfox: @JasonR86: @B0nd07:

thanks for the info guys, will just have to try keep the fast travel down to a minimum and put up with it for a bit, honestly this game is so good I can live with the annoyance for as long as it takes to get to the point of killing them so fast it doesn't matter

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.