Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Anyone find it weird how TES V is being pushed to the back burner

Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Binbay55

I'm mostly just comparing this to Uncharted 3 ME3 and B:AC. For instance dure the VGA's the audience was sorta dead during the TES V unvailment but really exstatic for those three games mentionted. Kotaku had the game announcements and said thing about Uncharted 3 and B:AC being their most anticipated games of 2011. And it Epic Battle Axe a user poll put TES V 3rd in most anticipated games of 2011. 

Does anyone find this odd? I geuss I understand Uncharted as it has a much wider audience in appeal but at the same time is restricted to single console. B:AC turned heads with it's grand debut but being more anticipated than TES V? Seriously? That sorta baffles me. Finally there is ME3. I really like the ME series. I've beaten Mass Effect 1 five times and I'm currently playing ME 2 again. But I really believe it is only garnering this much excitement is because ME 2 just cane out LAST YEAR.  And many people (Me being one of them) wanna know what the fuck is up with those Reapers!?  

Anyways I know I may have just answered my own question, but I wanna ask you. Do you think Skyrim is getting what it deserves?   Can I hear your opinions on this general and silly subject. 

I realise this is actually quite a silly subject, but it's late and I wanted to type up just these things that I've noticed.      
    Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Binbay55

I'm mostly just comparing this to Uncharted 3 ME3 and B:AC. For instance dure the VGA's the audience was sorta dead during the TES V unvailment but really exstatic for those three games mentionted. Kotaku had the game announcements and said thing about Uncharted 3 and B:AC being their most anticipated games of 2011. And it Epic Battle Axe a user poll put TES V 3rd in most anticipated games of 2011. 

Does anyone find this odd? I geuss I understand Uncharted as it has a much wider audience in appeal but at the same time is restricted to single console. B:AC turned heads with it's grand debut but being more anticipated than TES V? Seriously? That sorta baffles me. Finally there is ME3. I really like the ME series. I've beaten Mass Effect 1 five times and I'm currently playing ME 2 again. But I really believe it is only garnering this much excitement is because ME 2 just cane out LAST YEAR.  And many people (Me being one of them) wanna know what the fuck is up with those Reapers!?  

Anyways I know I may have just answered my own question, but I wanna ask you. Do you think Skyrim is getting what it deserves?   Can I hear your opinions on this general and silly subject. 

I realise this is actually quite a silly subject, but it's late and I wanted to type up just these things that I've noticed.      
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DystopiaX

GI cover story over Uncharted, so yeah. I think it's because Uncharted showed actual gameplay, ME3 actual story+ the fact that it's a direct sequel so more people are invested in that storyline. Interested to see if Bethesda improves, from what i've read they've already got rid of the static dialogue thing, so people'll move around, they've done some smart things like make bows slower but more powerful, streamlined magic, etc. Hope that it's more focused, fallout style, cause for Oblivion I found myself wandering aimlessly and never really getting into it.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By keyhunter

The problem for Skyrim might be that most people associate TES with "Oblivion". No one knows what Elder Scrolls are. Also High fantasy is gay and no one likes it. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777

There are no guns in TESV, thus it is not as popular, and rightly so. I don't see why you care anyways. Different strokes for different folks.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

I don't care if other people are looking forward to ME3, Uncharted 3 and B:AC more, because I couldn't care less about those games. ES:V is my most anticipated game by far.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aronman789

Skyrim for life! 
    Seriously if you're thinking of which one to choose, do you want to play 25 hours of Mass Effect, 10 hours of Uncharted, of 6 years of Skyrim?

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Nomin

Skyrim will get all the coverage it more than needs to. Your worries should be at ease, Bethesda has a killer cracking PR/marketing team, led by none other than Todd Howard, ready to converge onto that cosmetically momentous date 11/11/11 for all it is worth. It will be at a such fevered pitch that no other significant releases would be positioned during that entire week. Bethesda is hell bent on making this date publicity scheme to work for their advantage to the fullest degree. People may be a bit amiss as to what part this Skyrim fits into this grand TES chronicle, due to Oblivion being released a few years back, whereas all these other newfangled games are in fact just direct sequels from which gamers can relate to characters, scenarios, gameplay, etc. thereby increasing their appreciation up a notch for yet another sequel. People! What to do with their unsated desire for sequels and more sequels! Maybe prequels? Get some new IP, stat!

Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Binbay55
    @Chavtheworld: 
    See that's the thing...I don't know why either! 

@Enigma777:
    True dat/
    Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Binbay55
    @Nomin:
    I remember hearing one of Irrational Game's podcastsa and Ken Levine losely said , 
    "People always expect sequels to be the bext thing. But a sequel can be soo much more than just the next event." 

He was talking about Bioshock Infinte, but I think that speaks really true for all of The Elder Scroll's games.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By lucas_kelly

What's B:AC?

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NoCookiesForYou
    @lucas_kelly:  Batman: Arkham City
    inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inkerman

Well I dunno why, because quite frankly I'm pre-ordering this game day 1.

But seriously, I think it's because people don't really know what to expect from TES V, you simply can't get excited by the plot, it's an awesome one, but never an 'exciting' plot, and they haven't shown the tech in action. I think excitement will grow when they start showing off that radiant AI.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho
    @keyhunter said:
    " High fantasy is gay and no one likes it.  "
    Ah. Well. 
    That settles that then.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By haggis

If I had to choose right now whether to play ME3 or Skyrim, it would be ME3. It's not because I don't want to play Skyrim, it's just that I know so much more about what is going to happen in ME3 (and there's been two games to build up anticipation), that I am more excited about it. On the other hand, Skyrim remains a bit of an unknown quantity. We know it's a continuation of Oblivion in some ways, but as Oblivion's story was wrapped up neatly, there's simply less to get me excited right away. Not to mention the fact that Oblivion was released nearly five years ago, so it's not exactly fresh on the mind. The last time an Elder Scrolls game was released, Mass Effect was a gleam in some Microsoft executive's eye.

Batman: Arkham City, on the other hand, doesn't interest me much. Overall anticipation depends on gamers, and high fantasy isn't quite as popular as it was five years ago. I think there's a bit of fatigue with the genre that isn't there with the other games.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By DeF
    @keyhunter said:
    " The problem for Skyrim might be that most people associate TES with "Oblivion". No one knows what Elder Scrolls are.  "
    that's pretty much it.
    zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By zameer

To be honest I'm a bit surprised Oblivion was as successful as it was. I'm a huge fan of the series, but their games are pretty esoteric. Not many casual gamers can stomach a high fantasy epic that just drops you in the middle of a sprawling world and leaves you to your own devices. Its being a first person RPG alienated a few fans of the genre; some of my friends who enjoyed D&D licensed games didn't much care for it.

But to answer the question.. I guess yeah, TES is just a franchise that has no real identifiable characters, landmarks or heroes so it would take people a long time to register that "Oh, this is the next game after Oblivion".

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AuthenticM

I just noticed that depending on when ME3 is released, all three Mass Effect games could be released between Oblivion and Skyrim.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By benjaebe

There hasn't been much hype because they just barely started showing anything. The GI article was the first time we even saw screenshots - Uncharted 3 has already had a playable demo. When more information is released it'll get more coverage.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jimbo

Skyrim will be huge when it comes out.  Don't worry, the press will fall in line when the hype train starts rolling.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By dichemstys
    @zameer said:
    "I guess yeah, TES is just a franchise that has no real identifiable characters, landmarks or heroes so it would take people a long time to register that "Oh, this is the next game after Oblivion". "
    That's a good point. There's nothing other than SpeedTree that immediately lets the player know "This is TES."
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By armaan8014
    @Aronman789 said:
    " Skyrim for life! Seriously if you're thinking of which one to choose, do you want to play 25 hours of Mass Effect, 10 hours of Uncharted, of 6 years of Skyrim? "
    Oh man. You just defined TES right there
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JP_Russell

You have to also keep in mind that Skyrim has kind of been a known/suspected factor for some people for a while now.  TES V being in the works and being set in Skyrim was leaked way back in late 2008, so its announcement wasn't as much of an "Oh, TES V, what a cool surprise," thing as it might have been.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By infininja

It's common courtesy to define your initialisms before you use them.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Gabriel

Don't be silly ESV will sell more than Uncharted or Mass effect.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Aronman789 said:
    " Skyrim for life! Seriously if you're thinking of which one to choose, do you want to play 25 hours of Mass Effect, 10 hours of Uncharted, of 6 years of Skyrim? "
    Well since this just came up...

I would rather play Mass Effect for 25 hours. I don't understand the appeal of playing a single game over long stretches of time.

Except Counter-Strike obviously.
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vaile
    @keyhunter said:
    Also High fantasy is gay and no one likes it.  "

No Caption Provided
    And was the audience reaction to Skyrim really that bad? I mean, I'm sure they weren't hyperventilating as hard as I was. Still, it was on every "most anticipated" list I saw.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By ch13696

Trust me, Skyrim is on a lot of peoples list of games to buy. When it comes out around the same time as Uncharted, it will get purchases because it falls into a different category as Uncharted. I like Uncharted, but I'm a long time Elder Scrolls fan. Sorry Naughty Dog, but I rather be playing a game a lot longer than 10-12 hours.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Skytylz

It is currently my most anticipated game of next year.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By niamahai
    @Skytylz said:
    " It is currently my most anticipated game of next year. "
    isn't it being released at 11.11.11?

If FO:NV can sell, TES:5 shouldn't have any problems. Now lets talk about the sellability of RAGE ggggrrrrrrrr.
    LoggerRythm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LoggerRythm

I'm Looking forward to Skyrim for two reasons. 
    1. It's another Elder Scrolls game where you can get lost in for hours on end, and supposedly will have a new engine that will not be as laggy as Oblivion. 
    2. I'm really hoping it has some epic dragon fights in it. 
    Fallout 3 flowed so much more smoothly than oblivion so the whole engine thing seems to be positive. 
    Though the whole thing of, "We're using a new engine" and later hearing "We're updating the old one" has me a tid bit worried. 
    Anywho, it has to be better than Oblivion right?  Right?

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Matfei90
    @JP_Russell said:
    "

You have to also keep in mind that Skyrim has kind of been a known/suspected factor for some people for a while now.  TES V being in the works and being set in Skyrim was leaked way back in late 2008, so its announcement wasn't as much of an "Oh, TES V, what a cool surprise," thing as it might have been.

"
    Mass Effect 3 has been the same. And Arkham City has been known about for months. Don't really get your point.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JP_Russell

@Matfei90:
    Yes, but I assume they actually had things revealed about them that weren't previously known (I haven't followed the specifics of the coverage on them from the event), or footage shown that hadn't been seen before, etc.  Skyrim's reveal, ultimately, told us little to nothing about the game that wasn't already put in front of the public.  All it did was confirm that the leak from way back when was legit.

Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Binbay55
    @JP_Russell:
    Yea true. I knew it had to be Skyrim..But I didn't know that it was REAL.
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By NickLott

Oblivion sold about twice as much as the preceding games of all of the series you mentioned (or more). Don't worry, Skyrim will do fine when it comes out.

Redjoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Redjoker
    @keyhunter said:
    " The problem for Skyrim might be that most people associate TES with "Oblivion". No one knows what Elder Scrolls are. Also High fantasy is gay and no one likes it.  "
    nothing is as gay as a third person shooter set in space running a gears of war engine and calling itself cutting edge story telling..... 
    let me recruit 9 people and only take 2 with me at any point in time.
    Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Eaxis

Skyrim is my most anticipated game of the year.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hitchenson

I would stab you right now for a copy of Skyrim.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mikey87144

It's my most anticipated game. Loved Oblivion and I hope TES drops you into the world again and leaves you to your own devices. The best parts of Oblivion, to me anyway, was journeying to a checkpoint and discovering some new landmarks along the way

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.