Anyone got the hang of the law enforcement system yet?

#1 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I was very confused by the law enforcement in Oblivion the first time I played it. A good example is when i stole from empty houses, the guards outside knew about it.  

So right now I don't feel like experimenting with crimes because i might make a save and then find out I'm an outlaw later, or something, and I'm not a high enough level to take on too many enemies.  
Does anyone have any guidelines on how and when to freely commit crime? When are stealing/murder not detected? Are there psychic guards? Is there a difference between doing it in a town or a mountain shack? 
Also, for how long do you remain wanted? Are there bounty hunters like in Red Dead Redemption? etc..

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I've been hearing people say psychic guards are back in, but I've seen people say they aren't as well. So I don't know who to believe.

#3 Posted by Junkerman (271 posts) -

I've been stealing and havent been caught. If your cautious and a good thief you shouldnt have any problems. Make a lot of hard saves and dont rely on auto too much to avoid any potential glitch gambits.

#4 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I've been hearing people say psychic guards are back in, but I've seen people say they aren't as well. So I don't know who to believe.

It's on and off which is the worst because I don't know what the fuck to expect.

#5 Posted by Marnox (327 posts) -

Sneak, steal when you hare "hidden". No one will know.

#6 Posted by mason_pat (59 posts) -

I have not encountered any psychic guards yet. I've played like 50 hours and whenever I've killed someone in public I've made sure to be hidden. same goes for stealing.

I am really impressed with the lack of psychic guards... which is kind of sad to begin with, but oh well.

#7 Posted by Beforet (2927 posts) -

Apparently, one should beware the chickens.

#8 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I havent been playing a stealth/theaf but It sounds like while the guards may not be psychick the animals are considerd citizans when determaning if people can see you

#9 Posted by Veektarius (4920 posts) -

I was in the Dwemer museum, which is patrolled by three or four guards, opened a door, didn't close it behind me, waited til no guard was in sight and then stole a gem without even crouching and no one noticed.

#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

You need to crouch and be in a hidden state fo steal and get away with it.

#11 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Not psychic my ass. While I've never been caught stealing or murdering, every NPC in passing will talk about me like "they know", until I talk to them directly and everything is suddenly just peachy.

It makes me wanna ride a giant dragon and incinerate/freeze their whole village down, two-faced inhabitants and all! Know what I mean?

#12 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I've been robbing people blind, I have like 400 stolen items total and not a single guard has said a thing

#13 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Fingerprints man, aren't you wearing gloves?

#14 Posted by Drakoji (223 posts) -

The only time I got caught it was when I talked to the guards and they go "hey... I know you..." and then tell me they had reports about me.

#15 Posted by imsh_pl (3298 posts) -

I'm pretty sure someone has to see you commit a crime in order for you to have a bounty. Just crouch before picking locks and if you are hidden you should have no problems.

#16 Posted by AuthenticM (3761 posts) -

Does the game differentiate between stolen loot and regular loot?

#17 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

If you steal whilst hidden, which you should be anyway, then they'll never know.

#18 Posted by Linkster7 (1035 posts) -

I have been stealing the whole game and the guards have never known. There was once when a blacks smith sent 3 heavily armored people to kill me for stealing from him though. I have no idea how he knew it was me.

#19 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Just make sure that the stealth indicator is completely closed. To be on the safe side try and steal stuff when there's no one in the room. Finally, if you ****ed up you can check your bounty in General Stats i think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.