Are You Using Light or Heavy Armor?

• 95 results
#1 Posted by MrWillz (38 posts) -

Ever since Oblivion have been a heavy armor man. I am a firm believer that you need a good defense to crush a good offense. But after listening to this weeks podcast every seems to have ditched heavy and moved to light. I am most likley going to stick with heavy but I was curious on what other people were using.

#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8609 posts) -

Light armour, because it looks better!
I'm always a huge fan of martial skill winning over being a walking piece of metal, so I just roll light armor and dual wield.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6319 posts) -

If my fists weren't made of metal how would I punch bears.

#4 Posted by Vexxan (4619 posts) -

Had only a robe and a mix of light/heavy at first but I'm going heavy armor all the way now. 

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

Heavy because my character is a tank.

#6 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Naked.

#7 Posted by Arker101 (1472 posts) -

No Armor. Stoneflesh, however, now gives me 120 points towards armor.

#8 Posted by Sayishere (1841 posts) -

Light now, i like the ability to sneak sometimes, heavy makes it more difficult.

#9 Posted by CaptainObvious (3000 posts) -

Heavy armor LIKE A MAN.

#10 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

Light armor, since I'm playing as a rogue/mage/thief.

#11 Posted by whistlebottom (194 posts) -

My second character build is a Nord using Heavy Armor. Using just a sword and shield, I've been able to handle every encounter save for my first troll run-in and another with a dragon/dragon priest combo.

Also, I remember them saying they dumped Heavy Armor b/c they found themselves sneaking. On my first pure-Wizard build, I unintentionally leveled up Sneak a lot, due to my habit of clicking in the left stick in hostile areas in Bethesda games, but my Nordman rolls hard. Fuck Sneak.

#12 Posted by Jimbo (10069 posts) -

Light for sneaky sneaks, but considering I seem to die if anybody gets close to me anyway, I'm thinking about just wearing robes or some fancy clothes. Mostly I want a hat with a feather in it, but I haven't found one yet :(

#13 Posted by fetchfox (1377 posts) -

I use heavy Orcish armor on my lvl 17 Orc. I prefer being a buffed tank to a sneaking stabber, just my playing style.

#14 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Both.

#15 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1332 posts) -

Heavy, like a boss

#16 Edited by rjayb89 (7730 posts) -

Heavy. I run up to dragons and slaughter them with my hammer.

#17 Posted by Evilsbane (4827 posts) -

My Argonian Berserker will smash you with his Dual Wielding while wearing 400 pounds of STEEL!

#18 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Light Armor, I don't need heavy armor to bust people's asses with my Greatsword.

#19 Posted by TobbRobb (4888 posts) -

If I can make the armor rating go over 400, you damn well know I'm going to. Mainly because dodging isn't really viable or cool in these games. Otherwise I prefer the thought of skill over tech.

#20 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'm a sneaky archer, so I'm light.

#21 Posted by jaycrockett (510 posts) -

I'm going with mage's robes. I'm not sure if that counts as light armor or if it's just the boots and gloves I have on that is causing the skill to go up.

#22 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1234 posts) -

Light. Usually go all out heavy armor/power armor in these games, and maybe some magic, with a fat ass big weapon or sword and shield. But I considered how much I liked being a khaijit thief in Morrowind, so now I roll around as a argonian thief/assassin. Daggers for backstab, dual wield mace + sword for straight up fights, and bow for anything weak/range/dragons. I rarely get detected now so. With 100/100 smithing I still have about 250 armor as well in my quest reward (dont wanna spoil) armor.

#23 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Heavy, because my dude needs it!

#24 Posted by TheHBK (5593 posts) -

Both, heavy armor boots and gauntlets, light armor up top, I think I am only wearing a robe that gives a magic boost.

#25 Posted by AlKusanagi (1002 posts) -

I prefer light armor since I'm a stealthy type. With enchanted glass armor and some light armor perks beefing it up, I seem to soak up a ton of non-magical damage just fine.

#26 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Light armor because sneaking is cool.

#27 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

I use an armor blend. Usually, I protect my chest with heavy armor, then use light armor with magic bonuses over the rest of my body. To be honest, I prefer light armor because it looksso much cooler. A hood is way more stylish than a helmet.

#28 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (501 posts) -

Only just started this but trying to go for a rouge/thief/assassin build with a little magic thrown in. So light armour all the way with plenty of stamina to run like hell when I need to.

#29 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

Thieves always wear leather.

#30 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1613 posts) -

Heavy, I'm basically playing the standard Nord Dovahkiin warrior from all the promotional video. Planning on going back in with an Assassin/Ranger character later with Light.

#31 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

This tasty ass light armour, come at me, bro. Oh wait, I killed you from the shadows with x30 dual dagger stealth damage. Sorry man.

#32 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Light Armor. The perks are awesome.

#33 Posted by Doctorchimp (4058 posts) -

Heavy Armor.

Heavy Armor looks better than the light armor in this game, plus when you go smithing you have to pick a direction and I want daedric weapons.

#34 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I wear a robe and then light elven boots/gauntlets/helmet because I play a rogue mage. Next playthrough I'll be a full on warrior and wear heavy armor, though.

#35 Posted by MonetaryDread (2202 posts) -

Heavy.  The stamina hit isn't that bad when you consider the fact that your armor rating is about double that of light armor.

#36 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

Those light hoods look weird on my nord. It makes his head look too big compared to the tight cloth on the rest of his body. Plus, I have some pretty fucking cool-looking heavy armor pieces.

#37 Posted by JFetch (119 posts) -

Heavy. I like to walk in and destroy everything while looking into it's eyes.

#38 Posted by WEB_War4 (110 posts) -

I'm with @LordXavierBritish. Punch those fuckers with fists of steel!

#39 Posted by Legxend (122 posts) -

If you spec out heavy out you can become a walking tank, with double the armour rating plus whatever bonus perks you have unlocked, add to that having the ability to make heavy armour weigh nothing.

#40 Posted by Marz (5677 posts) -

light, playing thief/assassin heavy armor makes too much noise.

#41 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

I either use light or nothing. So much classier and so much better looking.

#42 Edited by Stahlbrand (846 posts) -

Light, but my main character has always been a fast-moving, hard-hitter. Its a little risky, but I like to get in close fast, smash the foe with brute force, and work on evading rather than full-tanking. My barbarian has to be nimble, even at the expense of survivability, and I like that playstyle a great deal.

I'm wearing a set of fully upgraded scale armor at level 30 and it is going well. I could wear glass, but the scale armor looks so much better on my guy.

I'll probably try a heavy armor sword'n'board character to see what that is like later.

#43 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3939 posts) -

Light, I like bein speedy. Plus oakflesh and stoneflesh are great for jacking up your armor rating.

#44 Posted by DillonWerner (1523 posts) -

Light armor because it allows me to sneak up behind men easier. To kill them of course.

#45 Edited by Milkman (17499 posts) -

I'm using heavy armor because that's seems to be all I find. Granted, I'm focusing on the main quest. I've sunk enough perks into heavy armor now that it's probably too late to switch to light.

#46 Posted by Nux (2456 posts) -

Light armor, my arch-mage rodes gives me all the magicka regen. shooting spells all day everyday.

#47 Posted by Jimmi (168 posts) -

@BoG said:

I use an armor blend. Usually, I protect my chest with heavy armor, then use light armor with magic bonuses over the rest of my body. To be honest, I prefer light armor because it looksso much cooler. A hood is way more stylish than a helmet.

Grab the Jagged Crown on the Stormcloak quest and never turn it in. Decent heavy armour rating and it looks badass.

#48 Posted by Bumbuliuz (201 posts) -

My Breton Battle-Mage is running a heavy Armor. I have been thinking about maybe changing to medium or light, to be able to carry more loot.

#49 Posted by BigBlueCheese (68 posts) -

Heavy armor with sword and shield. Come at me bro!

#50 Posted by futureman (25 posts) -

Heavy all day. I have no interest in moving around. I just like to plant my feet in the center of a room and then hit things until they stop moving and I can take all of their nice things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.