Ask me almost anything about Skyrim(PS3)

• 88 results
#1 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

Starting up Skyrim right now, I'll try to answer questions as best as I can. I will answer questions regarding in game jank. I'll be able to get a lot more time in tomorrow and Thursday. Just to get this out of the way, 5.5gb install.

#2 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

How is the PC version? Oh wait...

Enjoy!

#3 Edited by Three0neFive (2289 posts) -

Is it as bad a a port as Oblivion/Fallout3/New Vegas? How are the load times? What about the framerate? Is it third-person actually a viable way to play now? Does the aiming feel as shitty and awkward as previous Bethesda games?

#4 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

Lmao, console version is putting out a good amount of aa and smooth frame rate,

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Yay broken street dates. 

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
Is it as bad a a port as Oblivion/Fallout3/New Vegas? How are the load times? What about the framerate? Is it third-person actually a viable way to play now?
Yes, 3rd person seems viable. I made a topic showing something, and in the video the guy plays in 3rd person and it looks much better.
#7 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

Load time from main menu to beginning of the game was not noticeable.

#8 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@bitcloud:

Graphics and performance doing pretty good, then?

#9 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Does Skyrim have ALL of the dragons like Kanye has ALL of the lights?

#10 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Will there be topless versions of female characters that causes a scandal like the last game?

#11 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Three0neFive said:
Is it as bad a a port as Oblivion/Fallout3/New Vegas? How are the load times? What about the framerate? Is it third-person actually a viable way to play now?
Yes, 3rd person seems viable. I made a topic showing something, and in the video the guy plays in 3rd person and it looks much better.

Hey now, bitcloud is answering the questions....don't steal his thunder.

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@bitcloud said:
Time till first dragon sighting please. 
#13 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@bitcloud said:
Time till first dragon sighting please. 
You see one at the start.
#14 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

Graphically it seems like they are utilizing the system properly, very good quality all around. It's not completely different looking from Oblivion, but a huge jump in quality. Everything is he like I stated before, excellent AA and frame rate which was not apparent in Fallout.

#15 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Is it a Bethesda RPG (aka is a busted)?

#16 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@bitcloud said:
Graphically it seems like they are utilizing the system properly, very good quality all around. It's not completely different looking from Oblivion, but a huge jump in quality. Everything is he like I stated before, excellent AA and frame rate which was not apparent in Fallout.
So it looks good? 
#17 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

No crashes or anything yet lmao. Also no Exorcist head turning.

#18 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2052 posts) -

I'm calling the cops. They'll be there soon to confiscate your copy so we can do testing on it here at our lab.

#19 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

Yes it looks very good.

#20 Edited by Marmalade (192 posts) -

One thing that really put me off was the leveling system in Oblivion. I was told to choose major skills that I wanted to mold my character on, yet when I used these skills I was punished with piss poor stat bonuses upon leveling up. Is this system still in place?

I know it's easy to work around once you're aware of it, but finding this out after I had invested so many hours into a character, at which point I could barely kill anything, was super disheartening.

#21 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

A lot of familiar stats are still here, but they revamped the leveling system, I'm not at that point yet though.

#22 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Game of the year?

#23 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

I wouldn't put this over Uncharted 3, but it's pretty damn good so far. A friendly npc just teleported through a bear, our fears of this not being a Bethesda game have been put to rest.

#24 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@bitcloud said:
I wouldn't put this over Uncharted 3, but it's pretty damn good so far. A friendly npc just teleported through a bear, our fears of this not being a Bethesda game have been put to rest.
Nice glitch. Just like the real world. I glitch all the time.
#25 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

The combat is a lot more refined, probably the biggest improvement.

#26 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

Infinite dragons?

TELL ME!

TEEEEELLL MEEEEE!!!!!!

#27 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -

Can you use your spouse as Dragon/monster bait?

#28 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

I'm not that far in yet, but hopefully.

#29 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Game of the year?

I'm going to make an easy bet that at least a few sites will have this be Game of The Year. I have no idea how Giant Bomb will think of the game and if it is a contender to them, but regardless I fully expect a GoTY edition to come out next year, meaning they would have some awards bearing that name.

#30 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2451 posts) -

@jyluth said:

One thing that really put me off was the leveling system in Oblivion. I was told to choose major skills that I wanted to mold my character on, yet when I used these skills I was punished with piss poor stat bonuses upon leveling up. Is this system still in place?

I know it's easy to work around once you're aware of it, but finding this out after I had invested so many hours into a character, at which point I could barely kill anything, was super disheartening.

There are no more stats so that's not a problem anymore. When you level up you just choose a perk and whether to increase health, stamina, or magicka.

#31 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

I would expect best rpg of the year. They really weren't kidding when they said a lot of Apple influence when it comes to the ui. It's a very fluid experience that lets you have a variety of items, junk and whatever else you wish, but sorts them out very well. Stats, map, journal are all very streamlined, while not simplifying everything. Very much like how Bioware uses their wheel interface, it's very efficient.

#32 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@bitcloud said:

I would expect best rpg of the year. They really weren't kidding when they said a lot of Apple influence when it comes to the ui. It's a very fluid experience that lets you have a variety of items, junk and whatever else you wish, but sorts them out very well. Stats, map, journal are all very streamlined, while not simplifying everything. Very much like how Bioware uses their wheel interface, it's very efficient.

"Efficient!" Oh NOES. They're dumbing down ma RPGS!

#33 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

@fullmetal5550 said:

Can you use your spouse as Dragon/monster bait?

:O YOU'RE A GENIUS!

@bitcloud: Just out of curiosity, you ever played Dark Souls? It's a pretty good RPG...

#34 Edited by bitcloud (646 posts) -

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jyluth said:

There are no more stats so that's not a problem anymore. When you level up you just choose a perk and whether to increase health, stamina, or magicka.

That's not true, all the stats are there, they just increase when you use them.

@eroticfishcake: Nah, not really interested.

#35 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

The questions I would ask are more geared towards later in the game when it starts chugging and freezing. I would want to know if that happens like in past Bethesda games.

#36 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@bitcloud said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jyluth said:

Seconded. Most of the official content coming out of Bethesda themselves already cleared this up a while ago.

#37 Edited by bitcloud (646 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

@bitcloud said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jyluth said:

Seconded. Most of the official content coming out of Bethesda themselves already cleared this up a while ago.

They just found a way to make all the complex stats and inventory, etc. all work a lot better. Pretty much what everyone wants Bioware to do lol.

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

@bitcloud said:

"Efficient!" Oh NOES. They're dumbing down ma RPGS!

This game would be better if it was more like MW3.

I can not stress enough how much better the combat feels. How Stamina works has also been improved, like how light attacks won't drain anymore(can't remember if they did in the past). You perform execution moves quite a bit if the enemy is low health, they are quick and the animations are well designed. You don't feel like you're hitting a rat 10 times before they die. It's a lot more engaging and dynamic and levelling up stats in combat seems to work really well.

#38 Posted by kuz101 (209 posts) -

How is the beginning of the game? W/o spoilers of course.

#39 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

@kuz101: You don't go in a cave and kill rats, it is a MUCH better beginning then Oblivion. No Patrick Stewert though.

#40 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2451 posts) -

@bitcloud said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jyluth said:

Skills go up when you use them. Stats are things like luck or agility from Oblivion which aren't in Skyrim.

#41 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -

So the PS3 version didn't get shafted?

#42 Edited by bitcloud (646 posts) -

I'd bet on the better platform is recent patterns are any indication.

#43 Posted by crazyleaves (645 posts) -

Fallout 3 never bothered me on the PS3 maybe I'm an exception, my birthday was on the first and the wife owes me a present, should I pick this up? I played Morrowind to death but missed Oblivion, kinda hoping it's not utter shit like all these idiots are spewing.

#44 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

@bitcloud said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jyluth said:

He means that there aren't attributes anymore, which is half true. Strength, stamina, and magicka are the attributes, basically, but they're straightforward and representative of themselves, unlike typical attributes which represent under-the-hood abstractions.

What he's talking about is the fact that skills are no longer tied to attributes because there are no more traditional attributes, which means you no longer have to use skills of a certain attribute by a certain amount to get a full +5 modifier for it at level-up.

They've also done away with the related major/minor skill system that was completely at odds with that attribute system, so the entire leveling system is much more fluid and natural, and even promotes proper character development role-playing (which Morrowind's and Oblivion's punished) despite being less complex.

#45 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Don't RPGs usually sell better in Europe, and the ps3 is kind there.

#46 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

@crazyleaves said:

Fallout 3 never bothered me on the PS3 maybe I'm an exception, my birthday was on the first and the wife owes me a present, should I pick this up? I played Morrowind to death but missed Oblivion, kinda hoping it's not utter shit like all these idiots are spewing.

Definitely pick this game up.

@mosdl said:

Don't RPGs usually sell better in Europe, and the ps3 is kind there.

I know tons of people in NA that buy action rpgs on PS3, it may not be the most accurate representation, but I mostly play with the Uncharted/Battlefield multiplayer crowd.

#47 Edited by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -
@bitcloud

Have you tried any stealth?
How is backstabing people? Viable? What are the bonuses? Any cool animation?
Can you backstab a dragon?

Are bows any good?
Do they feel powerfull? Like maybe a stagger or knockback effect?
Or does ranged combat still feel ipotent like in previous games?

Are there crosbows?
Can you DW them?

How is the AI? Is it actually super dynamic like promised. Or simplistic like before?
Can you burn down a forest and destroy a towns economy like the PR promised? Or is it some scripted event?
#48 Posted by MachoFantastico (4611 posts) -

@bitcloud said:

*relaxes* Was worrying there for a second.

#49 Posted by Marbazoid (55 posts) -

Hows the voice acting? Are there any characters that stand-out as being particularly good?

BTW, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions <3

#50 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -

Does the 3rd person view work the same as Fallout 3? As in, are you able to zoom in and out within 3rd person? Or am I fixated on one camera distance from the character in 3rd person?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.