Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Based on my specs, should I get Skyrim on PC or console.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Joker369

Hey Guys, 

I have a relativity new PC aside from the CPU and am wondering what to get Skyrim on.  

Here are my specs:   

GPU: AMD Radeon 6950 2GB 
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz 
    RAM: 4GB
    Storage: Intel 120 GB SSD  

Would It make more sense to get it on PC or just on my 360? 

Thanks

Avatar image for illogicalbeetle
    IllogicalBeetle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By IllogicalBeetle

I would imagine it will run better and look better on your PC. The 6950 is no slouch. Runs perfectly on my 5870 @ 2460*1600 on High Settings (Ultra High settings will run it but it occasionally glitches requiring a reload from last save).

I would definitely go PC if I were you.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jimmi

It looks like you should be fine, but just to be sure, how much RAM do you have? You probably want at least 3 GB, probably 4 to be safe.

Otherwise you should be fine and the game should look amazing! Also I'm very jealous of your SSD. How much did that run you?

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SlasherMan

Your PC is more than fine for this. Great GPU, CPU is a bit on the weaker side compared to what's out there today (but that shouldn't matter much).

No reason to not go PC for this one.

dirtyharry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dirtyharry

I would usually recommend the PC version but this game is awesome with a controller (not an issue if you have a wired xbox controller) and why not experience this epic fantasy world on your large expensive TV (not an issue if your PC monitor is nicer than your TV)? Unless there's someone else in your household wants to play simultaneously? In that case, definitely get it on PC because you can install it on multiple PCs and play at the same time (see: log into steam on the second PC with the same credentials, install and then put in offline mode.).

Bethesda did a lot of work optimizing this game for the xbox. You will not be disappointed. Of course, you won't be disappointed with either version because your PC would run it on High at least. I have: Athlon x2 BE 3.1 Ghz, 4G DDR2 1033 Mhz, Radeon 4870 1 Gb and it runs great aside from random crashes every now and then. the crashes may be caused by the large address awareness in Windows, I'm not sure yet.

GL

velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By velt

Remember that skyrim only uses 2gb of ram, no matter how much you have. Is not fun for power users, apparently there is a mod for this, but i haven't read anything about stability yet.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

PC damn you. PC.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zelyre

@velt said:

Remember that skyrim only uses 2gb of ram, no matter how much you have. Is not fun for power users, apparently there is a mod for this, but i haven't read anything about stability yet.

Its not really a mod, it simply changes a flag to make the executable large memory address aware. It doesn't let you use more ram, like people think it does. The executable is 32 bit. What it does do, is lets the program access more than two gigs of pagefile memory; a swap file on your drive.

It makes a huge difference; I have a feeling stock Skyrim constantly ride the ceiling of the page file. Textures weren't loading, so I'd get creatures/armor that were just pinkish. Areas wouldn't load, so maps would be missing large chunks of geometry. I'd get hard crash to desktops every half hour. Enabling LMA fixed all of this. In the last 16 hours of gameplay, I've not had any of the issues occur again.

OP: Your PC is going to run Oblivion on a mix of high and ultra. 'Cept for the shadows; instead of rendering on the GPU, it's all handled by the CPU for some odd reason. They don't look great on ultra, anyways. Setting them to medium or high will make the game silk smooth on that computer. They made modding textures very easy. No longer is archive invalidated needed. Any textures in the texture directory will overwrite what's loaded from the bsa. Installation is easy and uninstallation of modded textures is easy, too. People have been extracting the textures from Skyrim using the New Vegas editor, resampling and resizing, and making them available to the community.

If you want the big screen experience, a 30' HDMI cable is $25 on Monoprice. Your game will be played at a natively rendered 1920x1080p instead of 1280x720 upscaled to 1080p. Plug the controller into your PC.

Most importantly, watch the Quicklook of the 360 version. Anytime a load screen comes up, count out loud. "One one thousand, Two one thousand." That's the time it takes for the PC version to finish its loading off a platter based WD Black. It loads so much faster than New Vegas does which is installed on my Intel SSD; so much so that I haven't bothered moving the installation directory because I don't see a need to.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Liber

Personal fucking Computer.

My little brother has a setup similar to this and the game runs great.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By emem

@IllogicalBeetle said:

I would imagine it will run better and look better on your PC. The 6950 is no slouch. Runs perfectly on my 5870 @ 2460*1600 on High Settings (Ultra High settings will run it but it occasionally glitches requiring a reload from last save).

I would definitely go PC if I were you.

What do you mean by "perfectly"? I had to tone down a lot of settings to get a decent framerate in cities. Whenever I look in the direction of a city my framerate drops to 30 fps and I've got a 570. But I guess my Phenom II is holding me back a bit... I read some things about Intel CPUs being way better for Skyrim.

@Zelyre: Your "little trick" doesn't help with low fps in cities, does it?

Viderian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Viderian

I have a AMD 5770 and an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.1 GHz with 4 GB of RAM and it runs on High great. You should have no problem playing.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Joker369
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Afroman269

I've been running the game on my laptop. Your hardware is more than fine.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Afroman269: What are your laptop specs, if you don't mind?
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Afroman269

@Vegetable_Side_Dish:

i5 @ 2.53 GHz

6 gigs of RAM

nvidia geforce 435m with 1 gig of memory (hard to scale it to other video cards cuz this is a mobile one)

I have to run the game in 720p with low AA and Anisotropic. The framerate drops a lot when I'm in some cities but I can get a good 30-40 frames in the open areas.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eurobum

@Afroman269 said:

nvidia geforce 435m with 1 gig of memory (hard to scale it to other video cards cuz this is a mobile one)

I have to run the game in 720p with low AA and Anisotropic. The framerate drops a lot when I'm in some cities but I can get a good 30-40 frames in the open areas.

Mobile card typically means a third to a half of the performance of the desktop counterpart (geforce GT 430), mobile cards are much more power efficient, though. Thanks for posting specs, this is relevant info to my interests.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Afroman269: Thanks!
    Avatar image for deactivated-637e4e7b6471a
    deactivated-637e4e7b6471a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Joker369

If I don't do the thing where I get a 30 feet HDMI cable and connect it to my tv, is it still better to play it on PC or should I just get it on 360 to be able to play it on my tv? If I played it on PC I would use a gamepad.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By mike
    @Joker369: It's still better to play on PC. A friend of mine has it for 360 and there is just no comparison. Load times are nonexistent on my PC, it looks better, runs faster, and of course mod support which is really important for a game like this. I hooked my PC up to my 55" LCD in the living room primarily for this game, and just use a wireless keyboard and mouse from the couch now. The cable is cheap from monoprice if you don't want to move your case closer to the TV. 
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Sooty

@Joker369 said:

If I don't do the thing where I get a 30 feet HDMI cable and connect it to my tv, is it still better to play it on PC or should I just get it on 360 to be able to play it on my tv? If I played it on PC I would use a gamepad.

Do you want to play with half the framerate, triple the load times, no mod support and inferior visuals? If so console all the way.

I'm surprised you even have to ask tbh, that 6950 is going to play Skyrim very well on ultra settings.

This is one mod for Skyrim out already to improve water quality:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.