Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Bethesda Aware of Texture Issues on Skyrim for Xbox 360

• 185 results
    dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By dropabombonit

Thank god I got the PS3, oh the joys of having every console

IrishBrewed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By IrishBrewed

I'm a pc guy but if your going to play a Bethesda game on a console then ps3 has the superior hardware over the 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ef0a89a161
    deactivated-629ef0a89a161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@IrishBrewed
    I'm a pc guy but if your going to play a Bethesda game on a console then ps3 has the superior hardware over the 360.
    Really? why do most multi platform console games look better on xbox then?
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#104  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @locolukah said:

So glad i cancelled my pre-order. I CANNOT STAND BUGGY GAMES!!

Why would you have pre-ordered a Bethesda game in the first place?
    Plipster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Plipster

@ProfessorEss: This is a good point.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#106  Edited By recroulette

Actually kinda impressed that this is the worst of the bugs out there. Unless there are some other game breaking ones I haven't heard about yet.

sleepykyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By sleepykyle

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Rattle618 said:

If you give a shit about this:

1. You are an idiot.

2. You should have bought the PC version.

3. You're a 12 year old. You, specifically.

@ PrivateIornTFU. You're awesome. You, specifically.

thehowlingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By thehowlingman

when i heard about this i got so upset i picked up the nearest object (miku hatsune 13" figurine) and chucked it across my room at full force in a fit of anger. Well it hit my ps3 which toppled off the shelf and fell on my dog. Took my dog to the vet and they had to do emergency surgery, something about a crushed rectum. anyways my dogs bottom is shaved of all its fur now and fuck you bethesda

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#109  Edited By trylks

@thehowlingman said:

when i heard about this i got so upset i picked up the nearest object (miku hatsune 13" figurine) and chucked it across my room at full force in a fit of anger. Well it hit my ps3 which toppled off the shelf and fell on my dog. Took my dog to the vet and they had to do emergency surgery, something about a crushed rectum. anyways my dogs bottom is shaved of all its fur now and fuck you bethesda

This isn't funny enough to be fake nor plausible enough to be true. I'm confused.

In any case. The crappy textures still look good to me.

But. In any case. PC for the win!! Definitively I'll be playing this game on PC, it'll be cheaper, better, and... mods!! I'll probably use an XBox360 controller anyway.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By stinky

i'd take the lower textures if they could give me smoother corners.

be cool to see something closer resembling a curve.

PS. there was a flying wolf in my game last night. jank!

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Frenden said:

Those of you that have it for the Thrixty, how bad are the uninstalled load times?

They're honestly not that long, the very first loading screen is a little too long, other than that, they're not bad at all.

IrishBrewed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By IrishBrewed

I was aware of the 6 year old 360 hardware and addressed the issue. Bought a PC copy.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By AiurFlux

Well that's fine and dandy, but how about they fix the fucked up physics modeling system and weird glitches including, but not limited to, floating Mammoths. I'm sick and tired of doing a sneak attack on someone and watching them launch clear across the room and get trapped in the geometry of a fucking wall.

And for the record this is on PC. It's absolutely awful at times. I can forgive it because it is hands down the best game of the year as far as I'm concerned, but the bugs are already turning it into a Fallout New Vegas experience. Well maybe that was harsh, but it's still pretty fucking bad at times. It ruins the Role Playing in the Role Playing Game when you see fucked up shit like that.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#114  Edited By brownsfantb

I've been playing it uninstalled so far and the only times the loads have been frustrating is if I go to in the wrong building or something and I have to turn around and walk back out. Usually, the noise of the disc drive is the reason I install my games but I just got some new headphones and I can't hear a thing when I'm playing with them on.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By MichaelBach

@Example1013 said:

7-year-old hardware with 15-year-old technology has trouble dealing with a modern game? Color me shocked.

That!

Still looking forward to spending 100 hours plus in it though :)

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By donfonzie

I noticed the textures but it hasnt detracted my enjoment of the game at all. Hopefully Bethesda will patch it soon though.

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#117  Edited By theuselessgod

My textures are baaaaaaaad. But I just make sure it's always night in Skyrim then I can't see 'em. :P

VTheSystemV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118  Edited By VTheSystemV

@Frenden said:

Those of you that have it for the Thrixty, how bad are the uninstalled load times?

I had it installed but uninstalled it after going into one area which looked DREADFUL and completely ruined the immersion for me, and whilst installed the load times were fine. Uninstalled? I don't actually notice much difference. The only differences are the textures are amazing, and my Xbox is louder, which is a sound that always scares me. It had better not melt on me!

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By huser

@DoubleKR said:

I honestly don't know how to react to this. On one hand we've all finally reached a day that we had been waiting for since we finished Shivering Isles, and on the other I feel like someone just gave me a Corvette with Honda motor in it. We can't have our cake and eat it too? I just feel so... lost, like when I saw Star War episode one. Come on we are all loyal fans, and we are entitled to the same great, beautiful, epic, and masterful experience. Are we not? Why should we have to suffer because we have a console? Well, idk but i can say that Bethesda has always fixed its problems within a reasonable time. I will not let this destroy a great game. Enjoy the game guys.

That is a strange complaint. I'd argue the PC crowd has a lot more to say regarding suffering for their platform of choice.

Blackmamba85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Blackmamba85

@spinoir said:

@IrishBrewed
    Really? why do most multi platform console games look better on xbox then?

Because they are made with the 360 in mind and do a half assed port to ps3 and PC

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By huser

@Rattle618 said:

@ZeForgotten: @PrivateIronTFU: @Zabant: @aurahack: I have to spell it out then, ok:

This is a game that has one of the strongest modding communities around, if you were so concerned with the quality of the graphics (which should not be the reason you get a TES game in the first place) you should have taken that into account and bought the version of the game that actually supports all that customization. I think it`s great that this game came out on consoles, but you should expect this kind of thing from such old hardware.

You wouldn`t try to run this maxed out on a crappy 5-year-old video card on a pc would you? Then you shouldn`t be expecting this to be flawless on your xbox/ps3.

A whole lotta tact missing overall, but I do have to agree. Given the huge mod scene for Bethesda, and perhaps more relevant to this article, stability fixes and texture mods that would make even the "high" res being talked about here cry, I couldn't imagine bothering with a console version if you had the option.

Hell, being able to start a character in EITHER New Vegas or the Capital Wasteland, and travel relatively freely between BOTH (and DLC) while taking my companions and gear along with me got me right back into Fallout. This was mainly because I wasn't too fond of the vanilla FO3 companions. Then again with companion mods and all that fixed that right up anyways.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By sickVisionz

Meh, I'll just play from the disk like I always do for video games. I've always found installs to be a waste of time since the gains I see range from unnoticeable to negligible.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#123  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@sickVisionz said:

Meh, I'll just play from the disk like I always do for video games. I've always found installs to be a waste of time since the gains I see range from unnoticeable to negligible.

I install so I don't wear out the disk drive, and so it's not as noisy.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@Slaneesh said:

Im playing the pc version with a pad. So i get my couch experience just on the pc. And holy crap how are the load times better

Hell yes, I would recommend this to everyone. Skyrim is actually the first game I tried this with, got myself a 10ft HDMI cable to hook up my gaming PC, used Motioninjoy to connect my PS3 controller, and I was set.

I want to kick myself for not thinking of it sooner, the controls are just fantastic on a pad, and the game runs completely maxed out at 60FPS at 1080p native on my giant TV. It's a great experience.

Avatar image for renegade_pixels
    Renegade_Pixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Renegade_Pixels

Aw man. I hate load times. But I hate broken textures more. This sux.

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By hemmelight

I'm getting some texture things but not as bad as these, but there's often some slowdown which is really bothering me. I'm on PS3.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Slaker117

Installing onto a flash drive does seem to fix the issue.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Impossibilium

@IrishBrewed said:

Pc ultra settings = remarkable graphics. Wish I could sympathize

Yeah, remarkably like a game from six years ago because Bethesda couldn't be bothered to make high-res textures for the PC.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Karl_Boss

I want my low res textures back from Elder Scrolls: Arena

lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By lmenzol

installed or not the graphics are shit on the 360

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By GioVANNI

I'll take the load times, because the graphics still look pretty damn awesome.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By jozzy

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

I want my low res textures back from Elder Scrolls: Arena

That game blew my socks of when I got it at release. Shame it had a bug that made it impossible to finish the main quest, and internet was not really a big thing back then - I didn't have access to it. It must be nostalgia but i loved the dungeons in thatgame way more. They were sprawling, dangerous and confusing, while the ones I have done in Skyrimso far are lineair to a fault. One straight line to the finish/exit.

thebigJ_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By thebigJ_A

Huh. I thought I noticed some blurry textures. Also there was a place where the surface texture of the water just didn't show up by the waterfall just past that first logging village.

Guess I'll just uninstall for now. :/

Ethir88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Ethir88

Playing it on PC MAX settings 1080p resolution, and I feel fine! =D

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By hatking

These texture issues didn't really start bothering me until I read this article. Thanks, Patrick. Now I keep spotting muddy looking armor and signs around the world.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#136  Edited By ShinjiEx

I was wondering why the game sometimes looked like Morrowind...

hfm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#137  Edited By hfm

I found out about the bug while watching Greg play waiting for midnight to roll around so I could walk over to GameStop.

I was watching my wife play it for a while, obviously decided not to install it. Load times weren't that big of a deal and we had it turned up loud enough that the 360 wasn't really audible. I suppose once there's confirmation that the patch is out and it fixes the issue for everyone I'll install it.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#138  Edited By sammo21

I have had no issues with textures and I am like 25 hours in or something dumb like that. So far, game of the year for sure. No game has engaged me as much as this.

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

#139  Edited By SpawnMan

For me on the 360 a bunch of the river textures don't load, resulting in a "gap" in the water of the river. It's just blank. : /

Nevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Nevi

I always install all 360 games to the HDD, with the mindset that it should reduce the amount of activity on my 360's optical disc drive, which I always take to be less durable than the HDD. Less activity means less wear and tear, which means I am less likely to have an optical drive failure. At the very least, the lifespan of the optical drive will be less of a factor on my 360's overall lifespan. I may be overly cautious on this issue, due to the number of PSOne and PS2 lasers that failed on me. Something about all the exposed moving parts in an optical drive that makes me worried.

Well, it is not really a problem in Skyrim's case, I got it for my PS3.

I went for the console because it suits my play style. It allows me to play on my TV whilst simultaneously browsing/watching videos on my desktop. Yeah, I could just configure my TV as a second monitor, I have an hdmi running into it from my PC, but sometimes I just want the robustness, reliability, infrastructure and general lack of effort you get on a console version. I may well pick up the goty edition in a steam sale in a couple of years.

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Norusdog

@Hef said:

@Norusdog: Games are a hell of a lot more complicated to make then they were any generation before this one. There is a huge difference between the code that makes up skyrim than say the original GoW on ps2.

And it's not like Bethesda didn't play test it. I haven't met a single bug or crash on the PC version. Also there's only a problem on the xbox version if you install it. There are probably tons of xbox users who aren't even experiencing this issue. Honestly this is probably one of the mildest launch problems this year.

look brother I don't mean any personal offense but that kind of attitude is part of the problem. It is NOT acceptable. I remember Front Page Sports Football. Still my favorite football series of all time. Had team and playbook (offense and defense) editors long before any of that crap was even an itch in Madden's crotch. They released a game when it went full 3d that was so full of bugs they recalled it. Yes there were a lot that got through w/o patches because it was hard, if not impossible to get them..back then. But the slew of bugs were less also.

They expect us to pay $60+ for a game..but it's broken and they just say screw it we'll patch it later after we've raked in the dough. Screw that. How about those that purchase a buggy game don't have to pay until they patch it? Or something of the sort. How about we get a voucher that is easy to just send back in for full refunds if the game is a buggy piece of garbage? Like I said..accepting that bullshit is part of the damn problem.

Case in point, Dragon Age. I racked up 200 hours on that before Awakening was released..CRASH FREE..then BioWares wonderful 1.4 (I believe it was) patch made the game crash like crazy for the majority of those with multi-core CPU's unless you set affinity to one core. Totally unacceptable. But did they care? nope. They NEVER fixed it. But they gave us gems like the "feastday pranks" DLC as other garbage to rake in more $$ from us. And that's just one example.

Now. I WILL say..on PC's it's expected to have some bugs because of the slew of hardware configurations and drivers there are. But on something like the PS3 and 360 to have bugs like this? you're an idiot if you think it's ok. At least this texture thing is just an annoyance but and not a game-breaking one. But the FACT is it should NEVER have shipped out with it on a closed console system like that. And the excuse that games are so much more complicated then they used to be doesn't hold water. They expect us to pay full $$ for a game then we should expect the game to fucking work properly. And if it doesn't then we should get 100% of our $$ back w/o any bullshit hoops to jump through.

thanks for playing

WolfmanJenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By WolfmanJenkins

I've been playing with Skyrim installed before I even knew about the texture issues and I've been getting along just fine. It's not that big of a deal.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Brad

@Nevi: Installing to HD on the 360 is also useful across the board for eliminating the DVD drive noise and speeding up load times. It always amazes me when people say they never install their games. Why wouldn't you? Even a 20gb drive can hold one game at a time.

Procyon27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Procyon27

@Norusdog: You are one angry little man....without a sense of reality.

Thanks for playing.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By louiedog

@Brad said:

@Nevi: Installing to HD on the 360 is also useful across the board for eliminating the DVD drive noise and speeding up load times. It always amazes me when people say they never install their games. Why wouldn't you? Even a 20gb drive can hold one game at a time.

This. Also, I've had a bad track record with DVD drives in Microsoft consoles. I have an original Xbox with a drive that failed after about 18 months. The DVD drive on my first 360 would give random disc read errors on every game after about 13 months. Luckily it red ringed a month after that problem began so I got it replaced under warranty. From the moment they enabled disc installs I've done it for every game. The only time my 360's drive is spinning is for about 15 minutes when I install a new game and when it does disc checks.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#146  Edited By Hef

@Norusdog: Games have bugs. Games have bugs because it's impossible for a small team to encounter every single problem, especially in such a large game as skyrim. There is so much more going on here than even a new linear game like MW3, it is near impossible to find every bug. Plus a million people playing the game are far more likely to find bugs than 100ish. Video games as a medium are not perfect. They are not movies or music where the product ships feature locked.

There is no game breaking bug in Skyrim when it launched. There is nothing stopping you from playing it. There is a texture problem. Whoopie-fucking-doo. Obviously there is going to be open world jank. Dudes will clip and sometime dialogue prompts will not load. This is the cost of having such a massive and open ended experience. If you want games that launch with no bugs, play a heavily scripted game like MW or uncharted. Meanwhile I'll be having fun playing stuff like GTA and Skyrim and not complain about it.

PANIC98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By PANIC98

Seems like this would be a problem easily fixed

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By IAmNotBatman

@Rattle618: bag ala douche

DamaskRose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By DamaskRose

i've installed the game to my 360, if i uninstall it will the textures return to normal or will i need to delete everything and start from the beginning having NOT installed the game or can i just uninstall it and play from my saves??

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By GoodKn1ght

@RustySpoon: Your game isn't fully cached maybe. He says in the article if you're playing off the disk and it's fully cached it doesn't have this problem. How to tell if it's fully cached though is beyond me

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.