Bethesda is insane! Sunlight Souffle recipe actually works!

• 54 results
#1 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

I'm serious; Bethesda is insane! The cookbook called, "Uncommon Taste" by "The Gourmet" has a recipe for something called Sunlight Souffle. And, well, just check out the video:

That is unbelievable. Bethesda; you guys are redonkulous.That's, like, 400% the amount of detail a game actually needs :)

(For the record, that "Feast of Fiction" series on Youtube also includes a recipe for Slurm, from Futurama. So that's awesome as well.)

Just had to share this with people. It is mind-blowing to me.

#2 Edited by zaglis (908 posts) -
@vinsanityv22 said:

Just had to share this with people. It is mind-blowing to me.

Portal did it first. I'm not saying but I'm just sayin'
#3 Posted by Swoxx (2980 posts) -

I don't see what's so amazing about a game having a real recipe in it.

#4 Posted by the_great_skenardo (110 posts) -

Fellas, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura did that well before Portal was a twinkle in Valve's eye. The manual contained a halfling recipe for banana bread.

"The resulting bread is very healthful and tasty and can be served as an addition to the mid-morning meal. It also makes a pleasant snack in a picnic basket, and it is wholly appropriate fare to offer elven visitors."

#5 Posted by Catarrhal (813 posts) -

The recipe works, but the game itself does not. Thanks, Todd Howard.

#6 Posted by CoinMatze (456 posts) -

@the_great_skenardo said:

Fellas, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura did that well before Portal was a twinkle in Valve's eye. The manual contained a halfling recipe for banana bread.

"The resulting bread is very healthful and tasty and can be served as an addition to the mid-morning meal. It also makes a pleasant snack in a picnic basket, and it is wholly appropriate fare to offer elven visitors."

I made that banana bread at least three times. It's really good.

#7 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

But don't you see!? They put words in an virtual book! And they actually mean something in the real world! SUCH A MAGICAL CONNECTION!!!!

#8 Posted by MattyFTM (14244 posts) -

That's what Bethesda do. They go to a lot of effort making the things in those books believable and as real as possible. The amount of detail is crazy. It's really not surprising that they included a real, working recipe. In fact, I'd be surprised if they included a recipe that didn't work.

#9 Posted by the_great_skenardo (110 posts) -

@CoinMatze:

I could never find Cumbrian cinnamon though, and I had to settle for regular ol' bananas instead of the sweeter Cattanese variety.

#10 Posted by Lake (125 posts) -

Fallout 1 had recipes in the manual.

#11 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

Fuck a souffle. Tell me how to make Skooma, dammit.

#12 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1175 posts) -

Real impressive...

#13 Posted by CJduke (780 posts) -

I gotta say when he was saying "Fus" as he threw the ingredients into the pan, I laughed a little.

#14 Posted by dbol (92 posts) -

You must be easily impressed.

#15 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

I know a guy that can make you some good skooma if you can get him some moon sugar. He takes a pretty big cut but hey, you try and get good skooma in Skyrim.

#16 Posted by Zzzleepy (162 posts) -

@the_great_skenardo: Oh Arcanum... I should play you again. I hope Vinny and Dave play it soon.

#17 Posted by nohthink (1222 posts) -

Great! The recipe works! Too bad their game doesn't.

BOOM!!!

lol Sorry. But I couldn't help myself.

#18 Posted by John1912 (1745 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

#19 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -

That's what I love. Bethesda always goes above and beyond. 

Very few developers have gone to the length of writing hundreds of books for their games, even fewer would have bothered to make an in-game recipe that works, rather than throwing down random words into the book. In fact, I can't even think of anyone else who does the former. 

@nohthink@Catarrhal:  

Amazing that I could play through a game that doesn't work 5 times on my PS3.

#20 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (430 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

That's what Bethesda do. They go to a lot of effort making the things in those books believable and as real as possible. The amount of detail is crazy. It's really not surprising that they included a real, working recipe. In fact, I'd be surprised if they included a recipe that didn't work.

The actual world, not so much, but man those books! They took a real recipe and renamed it.

#21 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (DLC) Breaking Skooma.
#22 Posted by MrNeoshredder (63 posts) -

@zaglis:

Wait, when'd they give you a recipe for cake in Portal? I never saw it.

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (6899 posts) -

How is that insane, that sounds like the sanest thing ever.

#24 Posted by Keenblaze (469 posts) -

I feel like it would take more effort to make up a fake recipe than to take a real one and name it something silly and fantastical.

#25 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

And now I'm hungry...

#26 Posted by CornBREDX (4459 posts) -

Haha. I wish I was still a kid sometimes and found things like this magical too.

#27 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -

Any bashers want to point me to another game with hundreds of books? Plzkthx.

#28 Posted by BoG (5178 posts) -

That's pretty neat, actually. I browsed their other videos, I like their fun recipes.

#29 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -
@Keenblaze

I feel like it would take more effort to make up a fake recipe than to take a real one and name it something silly and fantastical.

That's what I thought as well...
#30 Posted by mlarrabee (2763 posts) -

When I picked up that book I was curious if that was a real recipe, as it certainly looked legitimate.

Also, when the guy put on that hat, he relinquished any shred of self-respect.

#31 Posted by nixatron (126 posts) -

@Alexandruxx said:

I'd bone that chick.

true dat homeboy

#32 Edited by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

METAL GEAR SOLID 4 TEACHES YOU HOW TO MAKE SUNNY SIDE EGGS SOMEONE GIVE THEM THE TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS

@Storms said:

YEAH DUDE!  That's what makes a game great!  The chance to read seventh grade fantasy fiction on a television screen!  And there's so much of it!  Thank God, too.  My favorite gaming moment of 2011 was reading about mushrooms.
#33 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
Fuck a souffle.
Skyrim Pie?
#34 Posted by GorillaMoPena (1693 posts) -

I tried to make it but it got stuck halfway through my oven and I had to into the console to delete one of my oven trays to get it out.

#35 Posted by StealthRaptor (525 posts) -

Man, Freddie Wong is everywhere!

#36 Posted by Brendan (7522 posts) -

Blue names making disparaging comments about anything related to Skyrim is funny. Not funny because I laugh at your troubles, blue names. Those make me sad.

Its funny because its such an obvious thing to happen, that it happening consistently is like looking at a perfect social model happening before my eyes.

#37 Posted by Harpell (144 posts) -

Man, folks sure do get their undies in a bunch over digital recipes. Seriously, guys, calm down and eat a...souffle or something. Also, I think Sunlight Souffle would be a good name for a song and/or rock band.

#38 Posted by artgarcrunkle (971 posts) -

I tried making that. It was just about finished when my oven locked up and restarted.

#39 Posted by AiurFlux (899 posts) -

@Storms said:

@nohthink: @Catarrhal: Amazing that I could play through a game that doesn't work 5 times on my PS3.

Actually it is kind of amazing that firstly you played through Skyrim 5 times, and secondly that you didn't experience one single time the game breaking problems that plague it after the 40 or so hour mark on the PS3. Unless you just rushed through the main story, killed the dragon, and then made a new character for some stupid reason. And this is coming from someone that has 2 save files on the PS3, and both of them are completely broken to the point where I have to restart my system every hour to keep playing. Buy hey, what the fuck do I know. It's only a well documented issue.

Now getting off that issue I kind of want to try the cake from Portal just for shits and giggles. I completely trust Glados, and Gabe Newell. That is clearly a man with an appreciation for fine cuisine. And because I said that Episode 3 just got delayed another week.

#40 Posted by StrainedEyes (1313 posts) -

Now... about that Sweetroll.

#41 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

There's a good blog here which creates food from/inspired by games. I've tried a few of them and they're pretty good. I love cooking/baking. Just wish I had more time to do it though.

#42 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -

@Geo7877 said:

Now... about that Sweetroll.

Let me guess, somebody stole yours?

#43 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@AiurFlux said:

@Storms said:

@nohthink: @Catarrhal: Amazing that I could play through a game that doesn't work 5 times on my PS3.

Actually it is kind of amazing that firstly you played through Skyrim 5 times, and secondly that you didn't experience one single time the game breaking problems that plague it after the 40 or so hour mark on the PS3. Unless you just rushed through the main story, killed the dragon, and then made a new character for some stupid reason. And this is coming from someone that has 2 save files on the PS3, and both of them are completely broken to the point where I have to restart my system every hour to keep playing. Buy hey, what the fuck do I know. It's only a well documented issue.

Now getting off that issue I kind of want to try the cake from Portal just for shits and giggles. I completely trust Glados, and Gabe Newell. That is clearly a man with an appreciation for fine cuisine. And because I said that Episode 3 just got delayed another week.

It's actually not amazing that I could at all, since the vast majority of people don't get the issue where it's "completely broken". There'a an issue to be sure, and it's not just documented, it's over-documented. This is why you get upset when I point out it worked so well for me. You'd think 90% of PS3s stop playing Skyrim at the 40 hour mark if you took the internet as your source. 

Reality is, we users for whom the game works are the 99%. I don't even personally know someone who couldn't play all the way through Skyrim on their PS3.

That said, I'd be extremely pissed if Skyrim didn't work for me. But I would chalk it up to the other bad software experiences I've had, which I haven't glossed over. Games crash, games lag, games freeze -- it's been happening to me since I started playing video games. But when that happened, I assumed it worked for the majority. Others did that too, and then forgot about the experience.

The difference with Skyrim is, people were watching and waiting for something to go wrong, because bugs are so common in these massive open world games. And now the most major of those bugs has become a meme, with victims of it lashing out and making the problem appear as massive as the game itself. 

You're a minority that's going to get even more minor after Bethesda does patch 1.4, unless that fixes it for you, too. But I have a feeling the universe is punishing you.
#44 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -

I'd still bone that chick :X

#45 Posted by James_ex_machina (896 posts) -

Haven't played Skyrim but this is cool (even for the other games mentioned)

#46 Posted by ABK_92 (176 posts) -

@Storms said:

@AiurFlux said:

@Storms said:

It's actually not amazing that I could at all, since the vast majority of people don't get the issue where it's "completely broken". There'a an issue to be sure, and it's not just documented, it's over-documented. This is why you get upset when I point out it worked so well for me. You'd think 90% of PS3s stop playing Skyrim at the 40 hour mark if you took the internet as your source. Reality is, we users for whom the game works are the 99%. I don't even personally know someone who couldn't play all the way through Skyrim on their PS3. That said, I'd be extremely pissed if Skyrim didn't work for me. But I would chalk it up to the other bad software experiences I've had, which I haven't glossed over. Games crash, games lag, games freeze -- it's been happening to me since I started playing video games. But when that happened, I assumed it worked for the majority. Others did that too, and then forgot about the experience. The difference with Skyrim is, people were watching and waiting for something to go wrong, because bugs are so common in these massive open world games. And now the most major of those bugs has become a meme, with victims of it lashing out and making the problem appear as massive as the game itself. You're a minority that's going to get even more minor after Bethesda does patch 1.4, unless that fixes it for you, too. But I have a feeling the universe is punishing you.

I'd take everything AiurFlux says with a grain of salt. He's known to be quite stupid.

#47 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

METAL GEAR SOLID 4 TEACHES YOU HOW TO MAKE SUNNY SIDE EGGS SOMEONE GIVE THEM THE TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS

@Storms said:

YEAH DUDE! That's what makes a game great! The chance to read seventh grade fantasy fiction on a television screen! And there's so much of it! Thank God, too. My favorite gaming moment of 2011 was reading about mushrooms.

Yeah, it's much better to read, sorry, listen to, re-hashed dialogue by Bioware.

If someone's name is in blue, are they a troll or hypocrite, or both? I haven't made the distinction yet.

That recipe may not be anything special, but it doesn't mean the game is any worse for having it, or any of the other books. These forums must just have really bored trolls, waiting for the next podcast tit to suck at.

#48 Posted by BasketSnake (1116 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

The recipe works, but the game itself does not. Thanks, Todd Howard.

God-DAMN that makes me laugh.

#49 Edited by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@Ulain said:

@Brodehouse said:

@Storms said:

YEAH DUDE! That's what makes a game great! The chance to read seventh grade fantasy fiction on a television screen! And there's so much of it! Thank God, too. My favorite gaming moment of 2011 was reading about mushrooms.

Yeah, it's much better to read, sorry, listen to, re-hashed dialogue by Bioware.

If someone's name is in blue, are they a troll or hypocrite, or both? I haven't made the distinction yet.

That recipe may not be anything special, but it doesn't mean the game is any worse for having it, or any of the other books. These forums must just have really bored trolls, waiting for the next podcast tit to suck at.

What does BioWare have to do with this?  What does ... Sony consoles have to do with this topic?  I don't know even know what you're implying!  I think a lot of stuff in Skyrim is dumb because I have a blue name?  I own Skyrim on 360 and PC.  What are you talking about?

Have you actually read any of those books?  Why would anyone want to stop what they're doing to read some low quality fantasy fiction that is completely irrelevant to the quest you're on?  I'm actively looking for the talisman that summons a dark god, I'm not going to stop to read another chapter of the Lusty Argonian Maid.

Who said the game was worse?  There are people saying the game is great because it has a bunch of crappy short stories that you can read on a television screen.  Speaking of BioWare, I rarely if ever read the codex sections on my television, I usually pull them up on my phone.  Because reading a lot of small text off a TV screen is not comfortable.
#50 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Apparently you've already forgotten your undying devotion to The Old Republic? I just find it odd you bash one game because people are finding more enjoyment in certain aspects than you, but are a fiercely loyal biodrone if someone makes fun of your sub-par MMO for legitimate issues.

You're right, I can barely stand most of the books, maybe they are poorly written and I also have some more urgent quest to go on. But considering they're basically the same books that have been around since Morrowind, they really aren't taking anything away from the rest of the story. Why do you care that someone else likes them?

And you do realize some of the books are this game's codex?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.