Bethesda Speed Run: Skyrim can be beaten in just over two hours.

#1 Edited by StrainedEyes (1320 posts) -

Skyrim can be beaten in just over two hours (if you're a developer)

It's true: in two hours and change, Sam Bernstein, a member of Bethesda's QA team, managed to reach the end of the main campaign in Skyrim. Sam's time was 2:16:10, a mere 20 seconds faster than his competition, level designer Jeff Browne. The two are actually no stranger to the Bethesda speed run circuit, having participated in a similar event a few years ago in Fallout 3, in which Sam was also victorious.

So what does Sam win, aside from immortal glory on a video game blog? Well, he gets a pumpkin pie from Todd Howard and he also gets the trophy you see above. What's Dragon-speak for "winner?"

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/13/skyrim-can-be-beaten-in-just-over-two-hours-if-youre-a-develop/

It apparently took them half the time to beat Oblivion during that speed run. I guess they know the right ways to glitch through mountains. It's kind of crazy the skills you acquire playing the same game for months on end.

#2 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

Oblivion was beatable in 10 minutes.

With paintbrushes.

#3 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

I just felt like posting this here. This kind of stuff always blows my mind.

#4 Edited by Hizang (8534 posts) -

There are people who can beat games less than an hour where as it takes me about 7

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

The game's 2 hours long? Goddamn console call of duty bullshit is shortening every game. Ugh.

(sarcasm, don't freak out)

#6 Posted by B0HICAH (42 posts) -

There's a Morrowind run that was done in under 5 minutes up on YouTube and Bethesda did a speedrun of Fallout 3 in just over an hour.

I think the most fascinating part is that the Skyrim guys were 20 SECONDS apart.

#7 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -

@B0HICAH said:

There's a Morrowind run that was done in under 5 minutes up on YouTube and Bethesda did a speedrun of Fallout 3 in just over an hour. I think the most fascinating part is that the Skyrim guys were 20 SECONDS apart.

I would imagine they were doing the same thing but one was slightly more efficient.

#8 Posted by StrainedEyes (1320 posts) -

@DarkShaper said:

@B0HICAH said:

There's a Morrowind run that was done in under 5 minutes up on YouTube and Bethesda did a speedrun of Fallout 3 in just over an hour. I think the most fascinating part is that the Skyrim guys were 20 SECONDS apart.

I would imagine they were doing the same thing but one was slightly more efficient.

One of them probably just got stuck on a rock.

#9 Posted by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

Good. The meat of these games are always the peripheral things like side quests. When I play these games for a couple hundred hours and decide I've had enough and want to finish the story, I don't want to have to plod through yet another 10 hours to see the ending.

#10 Edited by Funkydupe (3306 posts) -

I don't know if I like knowing this..

#11 Posted by Clonedzero (4058 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

dont worry. i know someone who beat FO3 in under 2 hours. a speed run like that means nothing.

#12 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

I've gone through parts of Oblivion where I searched a single room for close to an hour.  So I don't think this game will be that short for me. 
#13 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

@XII_Sniper:NO SKYRIM WILL NOT BE 2 HOURS LONG CAUSE THAT GUY ANT MLG CAUSE SKYRIMMS AN MLG GAME AND IM MLG WAAAAAAAAA.

lol i dount care but still cant wait to play the main quest oblivion took me a week to complete the main. =)

#14 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

The game's 2 hours long? Goddamn console call of duty bullshit is shortening every game. Ugh.

(sarcasm, don't freak out)

I'm all for this. RPG that can be completed in 2 hours or less. I'm sick of spending close to 100 hours in an RPG to get to the end. I have others things to do like write stupid comments on GB forums.

#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@DarkShaper said:

@B0HICAH said:

Or got caught on a rock. 
#16 Posted by Edwardryu (437 posts) -

don't forget. developers can beat this game less than 3-4 hours at least because they have worked on this over 4 years. this is what they do everyday. if you are not stupid, you understand this.

#17 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

All things considered, that actually speaks quite well for the game I think. I mean, these guys have probably beat the game so many times they have lost count and yet it still took them over two hours to complete it. Imagine how it will be for the rest of us who stop to fuck around with NPC's, explore random dungeons and just absorb the great scenery. FUCKING A come out already!

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -
#19 Posted by Grimluck343 (1146 posts) -
#20 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@Hizang said:

There are people who can beat games less than an hour where as it takes me about 7

I beat MW2 on easy in less then 5 hours...

#21 Posted by SpencerTucksen (423 posts) -

@XII_Sniper:

I was gonna say....sweet baby Jesus, that's an overreaction. Lol, But seriously, CoD and the like are shortening most games. Of course, there are those games like GTA (everything since III), Demon's Souls, the Elder Scrolls games, Infamous, etc. where you can play for 40, 50, 60, or 100's of hours. But most games are still linear and are getting shorter as the years go by. It felt like BF:BC2's story was almost tacked on as a side-piece to the multiplayer...which it was, but the point remains the same.

#22 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

It is a little weird when you think about how big the games are, but this is actually much longer than their speedrun times for Fallout 3 and Oblivion, and we all know how massive those were.

#23 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

@SpencerTucksen: I actually like the shorter games. It means I'll see the game through for once, instead of playing 20 hours, and then shelving it for eternity because it's tuesday and something else came out.

Also game writers have very rarely been able to keep a story interesting for longer than like 6-10 hours. Look at all these massive JRPGs, I tend to abandon them halfway through because in the 50 hours of grinding I've forgotten why I even wanted to progress. COD games play like 6 hour long action movie epics, and they show. Their stories are the perfect length for what they're trying to convey. I wouldn't want to play a 15-20 hour COD campaign because it would get boring after a while.

#24 Posted by Franstone (1087 posts) -

I wish they never made the speed run public.

Now all the retards are coming out of the woodwork...

#25 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

You can finish playing World of Warcraft in under a minute.
Just close it.

Hell I don't care, half of this game is exploring/sidequests/falling off cliffs.

#26 Posted by ProfessorEss (7254 posts) -
@B0HICAH said:
Bethesda did a speedrun of Fallout 3 in just over an hour.
Well that beats the shit out of my 120 hour playthrough.
#27 Edited by redbliss (647 posts) -

@Grimluck343: Same here. I have been watching a lot of speed runs and races lately, mostly of zelda games. I just think it is awesome how there is a fairly large community of gamers who play a single game so much just to find every exploit in the game and get better playthrough times.

#28 Posted by kingopork (45 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror: Would be interesting to see the real speedrun time of that Oblivion video. He would have had to speedrun the dungeon which would have taken up a large chunk of time. Hiked to the town. Found enough paintbrushes scattered about to make a ladder, etc. Seems it would have taken a hell of a lot longer than 10 minutes.

#29 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

You can finish playing World of Warcraft in under a minute. Just close it.

Wish you could like posts.

#30 Posted by B0HICAH (42 posts) -

@kingopork said:

@ShadowConqueror: Would be interesting to see the real speedrun time of that Oblivion video. He would have had to speedrun the dungeon which would have taken up a large chunk of time. Hiked to the town. Found enough paintbrushes scattered about to make a ladder, etc. Seems it would have taken a hell of a lot longer than 10 minutes.

The run I watched was under 10 minutes and he never touched a paintbrush.

Apparently you can look down and drop/pickup items and jump in rapid succession to boost your way up to the top of the temple.

#31 Posted by alexl86 (619 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

Oblivion was beatable in 10 minutes.

With paintbrushes.

It takes over 15,000 jumps, if specializing in Stealth and having Acrobatics as a major skill, to get to 100, and even longer to find that many paintbrushes without console commands(no console commands in the speedrun) or duping (I doubt they used glitches either). Nice video though.

#32 Posted by armaan8014 (5319 posts) -

@Geo7877 said:

@DarkShaper said:

@B0HICAH said:

One of them probably just got stuck on a rock.

I was reading that in my college's computer lab and your comment made me burst out laughing in front of everyone

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.