Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Bethesda Speed Run: Skyrim can be beaten in just over two hours.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By strainedeyes

Skyrim can be beaten in just over two hours (if you're a developer)

It's true: in two hours and change, Sam Bernstein, a member of Bethesda's QA team, managed to reach the end of the main campaign in Skyrim. Sam's time was 2:16:10, a mere 20 seconds faster than his competition, level designer Jeff Browne. The two are actually no stranger to the Bethesda speed run circuit, having participated in a similar event a few years ago in Fallout 3, in which Sam was also victorious.

So what does Sam win, aside from immortal glory on a video game blog? Well, he gets a pumpkin pie from Todd Howard and he also gets the trophy you see above. What's Dragon-speak for "winner?"

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/13/skyrim-can-be-beaten-in-just-over-two-hours-if-youre-a-develop/

It apparently took them half the time to beat Oblivion during that speed run. I guess they know the right ways to glitch through mountains. It's kind of crazy the skills you acquire playing the same game for months on end.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Oblivion was beatable in 10 minutes.

With paintbrushes.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By FreakAche

I just felt like posting this here. This kind of stuff always blows my mind.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

There are people who can beat games less than an hour where as it takes me about 7

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

The game's 2 hours long? Goddamn console call of duty bullshit is shortening every game. Ugh.

(sarcasm, don't freak out)

p1zzaparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By p1zzaparty

There's a Morrowind run that was done in under 5 minutes up on YouTube and Bethesda did a speedrun of Fallout 3 in just over an hour.

I think the most fascinating part is that the Skyrim guys were 20 SECONDS apart.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarkShaper

@B0HICAH said:

There's a Morrowind run that was done in under 5 minutes up on YouTube and Bethesda did a speedrun of Fallout 3 in just over an hour. I think the most fascinating part is that the Skyrim guys were 20 SECONDS apart.

I would imagine they were doing the same thing but one was slightly more efficient.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By strainedeyes

@DarkShaper said:

@B0HICAH said:

There's a Morrowind run that was done in under 5 minutes up on YouTube and Bethesda did a speedrun of Fallout 3 in just over an hour. I think the most fascinating part is that the Skyrim guys were 20 SECONDS apart.

I would imagine they were doing the same thing but one was slightly more efficient.

One of them probably just got stuck on a rock.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox

Good. The meat of these games are always the peripheral things like side quests. When I play these games for a couple hundred hours and decide I've had enough and want to finish the story, I don't want to have to plod through yet another 10 hours to see the ending.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Funkydupe

I don't know if I like knowing this..

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Clonedzero

@Funkydupe said:

dont worry. i know someone who beat FO3 in under 2 hours. a speed run like that means nothing.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I've gone through parts of Oblivion where I searched a single room for close to an hour.  So I don't think this game will be that short for me. 
    Z3RO180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Z3RO180

@XII_Sniper:NO SKYRIM WILL NOT BE 2 HOURS LONG CAUSE THAT GUY ANT MLG CAUSE SKYRIMMS AN MLG GAME AND IM MLG WAAAAAAAAA.

lol i dount care but still cant wait to play the main quest oblivion took me a week to complete the main. =)

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By James_ex_machina

@XII_Sniper said:

The game's 2 hours long? Goddamn console call of duty bullshit is shortening every game. Ugh.

(sarcasm, don't freak out)

I'm all for this. RPG that can be completed in 2 hours or less. I'm sick of spending close to 100 hours in an RPG to get to the end. I have others things to do like write stupid comments on GB forums.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @DarkShaper said:

@B0HICAH said:

Or got caught on a rock. 
    Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Edwardryu

don't forget. developers can beat this game less than 3-4 hours at least because they have worked on this over 4 years. this is what they do everyday. if you are not stupid, you understand this.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By DaemonBlack

All things considered, that actually speaks quite well for the game I think. I mean, these guys have probably beat the game so many times they have lost count and yet it still took them over two hours to complete it. Imagine how it will be for the rest of us who stop to fuck around with NPC's, explore random dungeons and just absorb the great scenery. FUCKING A come out already!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By awe_stuck

@Hizang said:

There are people who can beat games less than an hour where as it takes me about 7

I beat MW2 on easy in less then 5 hours...

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@XII_Sniper:

I was gonna say....sweet baby Jesus, that's an overreaction. Lol, But seriously, CoD and the like are shortening most games. Of course, there are those games like GTA (everything since III), Demon's Souls, the Elder Scrolls games, Infamous, etc. where you can play for 40, 50, 60, or 100's of hours. But most games are still linear and are getting shorter as the years go by. It felt like BF:BC2's story was almost tacked on as a side-piece to the multiplayer...which it was, but the point remains the same.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By fjordson

@Funkydupe said:

It is a little weird when you think about how big the games are, but this is actually much longer than their speedrun times for Fallout 3 and Oblivion, and we all know how massive those were.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

@SpencerTucksen: I actually like the shorter games. It means I'll see the game through for once, instead of playing 20 hours, and then shelving it for eternity because it's tuesday and something else came out.

Also game writers have very rarely been able to keep a story interesting for longer than like 6-10 hours. Look at all these massive JRPGs, I tend to abandon them halfway through because in the 50 hours of grinding I've forgotten why I even wanted to progress. COD games play like 6 hour long action movie epics, and they show. Their stories are the perfect length for what they're trying to convey. I wouldn't want to play a 15-20 hour COD campaign because it would get boring after a while.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Franstone

I wish they never made the speed run public.

Now all the retards are coming out of the woodwork...

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can finish playing World of Warcraft in under a minute.
    Just close it.

Hell I don't care, half of this game is exploring/sidequests/falling off cliffs.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @B0HICAH said:
    Bethesda did a speedrun of Fallout 3 in just over an hour.
    Well that beats the shit out of my 120 hour playthrough.
    redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By redbliss

@Grimluck343: Same here. I have been watching a lot of speed runs and races lately, mostly of zelda games. I just think it is awesome how there is a fairly large community of gamers who play a single game so much just to find every exploit in the game and get better playthrough times.

kingopork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kingopork

@ShadowConqueror: Would be interesting to see the real speedrun time of that Oblivion video. He would have had to speedrun the dungeon which would have taken up a large chunk of time. Hiked to the town. Found enough paintbrushes scattered about to make a ladder, etc. Seems it would have taken a hell of a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Matfei90

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

You can finish playing World of Warcraft in under a minute. Just close it.

Wish you could like posts.

p1zzaparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By p1zzaparty

@kingopork said:

@ShadowConqueror: Would be interesting to see the real speedrun time of that Oblivion video. He would have had to speedrun the dungeon which would have taken up a large chunk of time. Hiked to the town. Found enough paintbrushes scattered about to make a ladder, etc. Seems it would have taken a hell of a lot longer than 10 minutes.

The run I watched was under 10 minutes and he never touched a paintbrush.

Apparently you can look down and drop/pickup items and jump in rapid succession to boost your way up to the top of the temple.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By alexl86

@ShadowConqueror said:

Oblivion was beatable in 10 minutes.

With paintbrushes.

It takes over 15,000 jumps, if specializing in Stealth and having Acrobatics as a major skill, to get to 100, and even longer to find that many paintbrushes without console commands(no console commands in the speedrun) or duping (I doubt they used glitches either). Nice video though.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By armaan8014

@Geo7877 said:

@DarkShaper said:

@B0HICAH said:

One of them probably just got stuck on a rock.

I was reading that in my college's computer lab and your comment made me burst out laughing in front of everyone

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.