Buying Houses

#1 Posted by FinalDasa (2040 posts) -

I know I can, and I know someone said I could now in Whiterun but yet I don't know how.

Am I not far along yet or is there something I'm missing?

#2 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

I think that miserable guy who stands around next to the king-guy of Whiterun sells you your first house for about 5000 gold.

I think.

#3 Posted by D_train_lives (107 posts) -

yeah that douche next to the jarl does

#4 Posted by FinalDasa (2040 posts) -

Oh, that worm.

#5 Edited by Milkman (17307 posts) -

I bought that house but what exactly is the benefit? I went inside and it was pretty much a room and a bed. Is there any point?

#6 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@Milkman you can store stuff there, and also buy upgrades for it
#7 Posted by Sorasha (87 posts) -

@Milkman You can also bang your lusty Argonian maids there.

#8 Posted by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

anyone know if you buy upgrade will the items in the house stay safe? both in containers and out?

#9 Posted by MsAtheism (35 posts) -

The items in the house SHOULD stay safe, I haven't put items in and upgraded yet, but you're probably better off to remove them first. And what I do is steal stuff and then decorate my house with it... makes it look awesome!! The main goal is to have a safe house for weapons and armor you want to collect but don't want to sell. Cannot wait to see homes other than Whiterun's.

#10 Posted by imsh_pl (3308 posts) -
@Sorasha said:

@Milkman You can also bang your lusty Argonian maids there.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who read the tome.
#11 Posted by Intro (1212 posts) -

Yeah, in Rifton I found the lusty Argonian maid V1 and V2 lol.

#12 Posted by mosdl (3258 posts) -

So how do you get upgrades? The dude who sold me the house has no dialog option for upgrades (I did choose one when I bought the place).

#13 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@MsAtheism said:

The items in the house SHOULD stay safe,

I've kept my shit in Riverwood for several days, it's all there.
#14 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@Dagbiker
How do you upgrade it?
#15 Posted by w00ties (186 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@MsAtheism said:

I heard that it's a bad idea to store items in houses/containers you don't own. Wasn't there a disclaimer in the game manual?

#16 Posted by Milkman (17307 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Dagbiker
How do you upgrade it?

I'd also like to know this.

#17 Posted by Nightside (5 posts) -

@Hizang: Talk to the same guy you purchased the house from, He offers upgrades for each part of the house.

I did note that the option is not always there when talking to him though, it may only be available when the shops are open or some other trigger

#18 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

@w00ties said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@MsAtheism said:

I heard that it's a bad idea to store items in houses/containers you don't own. Wasn't there a disclaimer in the game manual?

Yes it's true. After a long enough period of time, the chests will reset, erasing everything that used to be there. It is always a safer bet owning a house or getting your own quarters from a guild of sorts to use those containers instead, to keep them safe.

#19 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Nightside: What are the upgrades and how much?

#20 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -

Owning property in The Elder Scrolls has always been a bitch. Why can't I just murder someone in their house and make it my own? I'll settle with the risk of losing my stolen house if caught going in and out.

#21 Posted by kingopork (50 posts) -

Bought the house and fully upgraded it. Was so so about my purchase. Then I came home and a bug threw all the shit lying on tables and on shelves all over the place. So they set up this nice scene and just dragonshout at it while you're gone.

#22 Posted by w00ties (186 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@MsAtheism said:

Yes it's true. After a long enough period of time, the chests will reset, erasing everything that used to be there. It is always a safer bet owning a house or getting your own quarters from a guild of sorts to use those containers instead, to keep them safe.

Can you use the containers in guild halls? I've always been a little wary of doing that in case those chests reset as well.

#23 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

@w00ties said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@MsAtheism said:

Can you use the containers in guild halls? I've always been a little wary of doing that in case those chests reset as well.

I'd assume so but just to test that out, I would add some random ingredients or useless items into one of those containers and just keep playing for a good while. if they disappear after a few days of playing then you'll know. The game is still new so I hope someone has a more concrete answer than I do, but I would believe the quarters you get in guilds count as your owned space, which includes the containers in those quarters.

#24 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@MsAtheism said:

I'd assume so but just to test that out, I would add some random ingredients or useless items into one of those containers and just keep playing for a good while. if they disappear after a few days of playing then you'll know. The game is still new so I hope someone has a more concrete answer than I do, but I would believe the quarters you get in guilds count as your owned space, which includes the containers in those quarters.

Oh God...  Ive been leaving all my stuff in this dudes house and Ive been saving every time I would go to that chest....  Any easy way to get 5 grand?  I have like 400 coins now....
#25 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@MsAtheism said:

Oh God... Ive been leaving all my stuff in this dudes house and Ive been saving every time I would go to that chest.... Any easy way to get 5 grand? I have like 400 coins now....

The cruel thing about this game is that the first 5k is a bit tough to get at first if you are low level. I suggest if you have any dragon bones and scales, sell them as you can always get more. Also check out the Inns or guilds for random work and usually the loot you get during the missions are worth selling for coin. Lastly doing some jobs for random npc's here and there can give you a few hundred gold each. As soon as you get 5k, go get that house.

#26 Edited by w00ties (186 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@MsAtheism said:

Oh God... Ive been leaving all my stuff in this dudes house and Ive been saving every time I would go to that chest.... Any easy way to get 5 grand? I have like 400 coins now....

I just purchased my first home a few minutes ago. I was hesitant about handing over so much money because it took me a while to obtain it all. At the moment I'm a level 12; hopefully that puts into perspective how long it took for me to gather the funds through questing and dungeon raiding.

I find that the prices offered to you for goods are dreadful (in Whiterun at least), which makes hauling back items from dungeons a bit useless if you just want to sell them (though each corpse and most containers should have coins).

For some extra coins I would recommend:

• Helping out the Jarl of Whiterun
  • Joining the Companions
  • Raiding bandit caves

Those three activities should be enough to meet the 5000 asking price. If not, check out some taverns and speak with locals for some odd jobs. At the moment I'm at about 700 gold, so I'm just chopping wood as I type and selling it to The Bannered Mare in Whiterun as firewood in order to purchase a horse.

#27 Posted by kingopork (50 posts) -

I'm currently level 24 and it's getting a helluva lot easier to get money now. I was in the high teens when I bought the house and fully upgraded it. It hurt me a lot. Within a couple of hours I had 10K again. Seems now chests all over the place have circlets and gems in them. It's very common. So low weight high value has been more and more prevalent. It's great.

#28 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -
@w00ties said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@MsAtheism said:

I just purchased my first home a few minutes ago. I was hesitant about handing over so much money because it took me a while to obtain it all. At the moment I'm a level 12; hopefully that puts into perspective how long it took for me to gather the funds through questing and dungeon raiding.

I find that the prices offered to you for goods are dreadful (in Whiterun at least), which makes hauling back items from dungeons a bit useless if you just want to sell them (though each corpse and most containers should have coins).

For some extra coins I would recommend:

• Helping out the Jarl of Whiterun
  • Joining the Companions
  • Raiding bandit caves

Those three activities should be enough to meet the 5000 asking price. If not, check out some taverns and speak with locals for some odd jobs. At the moment I'm at about 700 gold, so I'm just chopping wood as I type and selling it to The Bannered Mare in Whiterun as firewood in order to purchase a horse.

Damn, im on level 14 and I have 2500.  Ok Ive been raiding bandit caves but Ive been blowing all that money to make iron daggers to get my smithing and my bartering skills up.  Where are the Companions?
#29 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@MsAtheism said:

The cruel thing about this game is that the first 5k is a bit tough to get at first if you are low level. I suggest if you have any dragon bones and scales, sell them as you can always get more. Also check out the Inns or guilds for random work and usually the loot you get during the missions are worth selling for coin. Lastly doing some jobs for random npc's here and there can give you a few hundred gold each. As soon as you get 5k, go get that house.

Who will actually buy the dragon bones and scales I've been carrying around with me? They never show up in my lists of sellable items.

#30 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -
@Hailinel: The trader in Riverwood.  There are also 2 other people in Riften
#31 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

Great house buying tips in here thanks.

#32 Edited by Father_Vice (68 posts) -

finishing the college storyline gave me the archmage's suit which is THE SHIT. i mean, in Morrowind i would kill everyone in Balmora and have separate houses for orc/glass/pillows etc.

but these quarters are just beautiful, come with alchemy and enchanting stations and a garden. it's not only useful, but GORGEOUS.

#33 Posted by w00ties (186 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: The Companions are located in Whiterun inside the Jorrvaskr. If you're looking at the keep, it's to your right. I believe it's the second highest building in the town.

A little warning though, don't read any quest guides or search online how to find it. I just Googled it to spell-check the name of the building and there are significant spoilers online.

@Hailinel: I didn't read why in fear of spoilers, but a few websites recommend not selling your Dragon Bones and Scales (or any Dragon related materials, for that matter). Apparently the source of the Dragons makes them infinite of course, but it all depends on how eager you are to go dragon hunting when in a time of need.

#34 Edited by Wuddel (2100 posts) -

How do I trigger that I can buy the Riften house? I already killed the Dragon.

Also: Am I the only person who loves a hint of "economy simulation" or "tycoon game" in their RPGs? You should be able to rent out houses, buy businesses and run them with profit. Gold usually is meaningless in the end anyway. You might as well put that in. I always loved this in Fable, and it would rock to see this in a game like Skyrim.

#35 Posted by DriveupLife (919 posts) -

The best house in the game is apparently in Solitude and has a base cost of 25,000 Septims. Start saving people! Rosethorn Hall 2.0 here i come!

#36 Edited by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

@MOLE said:

Owning property in The Elder Scrolls has always been a bitch. Why can't I just murder someone in their house and make it my own? I'll settle with the risk of losing my stolen house if caught going in and out.

I'm pretty sure you can't just murder someone and squat in their house unbothered. Unless you're one of the bad guys from North by Northwest or something.

#37 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@Wuddel said:

How do I trigger that I can buy the Riften house? I already killed the Dragon.

Also: Am I the only person who loves a hint of "economy simulation" or "tycoon game" in their RPGs? You should be able to rent out houses, buy businesses and run them with profit. Gold usually is meaningless in the end anyway. You might as well put that in. I always loved this in Fable, and it would rock to see this in a game like Skyrim.

You have to become Thane of Riften. Do so by doing the Skooma quest (you get it from an argonian girl on the docks just outside riften). If you aren't promoted to thane after doing that questline, complete quests for other people in Riften to build your fame. Then go back and check if you can be thane yet.

Then you get a really nice house.

#38 Posted by kidko (85 posts) -

@Father_Vice said:

finishing the college storyline gave me the archmage's suit which is THE SHIT. i mean, in Morrowind i would kill everyone in Balmora and have separate houses for orc/glass/pillows etc.

but these quarters are just beautiful, come with alchemy and enchanting stations and a garden. it's not only useful, but GORGEOUS.

Did you use the storage in the small bedroom while you were working your way up the college ranks? I'm curious if those storage containers are safe to use

#39 Posted by bunnymud (716 posts) -

I got the arch-Mage room at the college. Is the only perk to owning a house that you can upgrade it? I was saving for a house, but my level 50 destruction spells opened up sooooo.......

#40 Posted by fisk0 (4463 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@w00ties said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@MsAtheism said:

Apart from selling occasional dragon loot (which you get a lot for), I gathered money pretty fast by doing alchemy, just doing every useless potion in the list to increase the alchemy level, and then sell the stuff to the vendors, I think I got close to 150 gold per bottle of some useless potion that fortifies illusion magic while poisoning you.

#41 Posted by mosdl (3258 posts) -

@bunnymud said:

I got the arch-Mage room at the college. Is the only perk to owning a house that you can upgrade it? I was saving for a house, but my level 50 destruction spells opened up sooooo.......

Haven't done the college yet, but your companion will spawn at your house if your loose them somehow.

#42 Posted by Mmmslash (2170 posts) -

@DriveupLife said:

The best house in the game is apparently in Solitude and has a base cost of 25,000 Septims. Start saving people! Rosethorn Hall 2.0 here i come!

For reference, I have this house and it's not all that special.

#43 Posted by briangodsoe (484 posts) -

@Milkman said:

I bought that house but what exactly is the benefit? I went inside and it was pretty much a room and a bed. Is there any point?

It's where you keep your collection of forks. All of the forks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.