Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Can I Get A Re-Roll?

konradbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By konradbm

Fellow GBers,

I'm writing to you looking for a shot at atonement and in the vein hope that I might find some like-minded individuals amongst you. I'm 30 hours into Skyrim and if the end is not in sight then I can at the very least say that the story is in full swing now; I'm level 25 and would say I've done a respectable amount of side missions. But my head has been turned by the other possibilities on my skill tree. Don't get me wrong: I love my Reguard archer but I can't help but think of all the other things out there that I'm missing out on by confining myself to only one character. So much so that I'm actively avoiding the major side quests (admittedly a relative term in the context of Skyrim) because I don't want to 'waste' them on a character that has lost his shine little bit. If I want to join the thieves guild then I'll roll a thief; Companions? Orc; College of Winterhold? Why I'll take some Altmer with that, thank you kindly. My main is the character that I know will always be there and because of this I'm rapidly losing interest in him.

So here's the problem: I don't want to go off and do everything with this character because it wouldn't be as fun as rolling new characters dedicated to certain parts of the game, but because I'm now entertaining this thought I've begun rushing through the main quest because it's the only thing that I want to do with this character before I switch. In short, the promise of what I'm going to do with my next character has sullied my experience with my current one who cannot possibly live up to the high hopes I have for a character forged entirely out of fantasy rather than 30+ hours of actual gameplay.

So, questions: is anyone else out there constantly struggling to stick with characters? Have you missed out on elements of games because you've never gone deep enough in with one character to experience them? How have you managed to contain this desire to experience something new?

Giant Bomb community: My name is Jim and I am addicted to re-rolls. Help me.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By swoxx

I think there's a mod that allows you to respec.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I have three characters right now.

Nord Female - dual wield melee mode.
    Khajit Female - sneaky backstabber
    High Elf Female - magic and stuff.

They all play different enough for me to not lose interest in one or the other, that and I spread out where I send my characters.
    Khajit's messing it up near Riften, Nord's up in Windhelm at the moment and the High Elf in Solitude.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Azteck

I started out as a brawler, then I started going more in the mage-direction and now I'm more of a thief than anything else. So yeah, getting to reroll some points would be nice at times.

konradbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By konradbm

I should probably clarify: I'm playing on 360 and I'm not just talking about re-allocating points so much as creating an entirely new character - new look, new name, new play style. The mechanical side of it doesn't bother me so much, it's more a personal rule against doing everything with one character. That just doesn't make sense in the context of the world to me.

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By LocoRocker

it's a role playing game, live with your decisions.

Lenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Lenny

@LocoRocker: Couldn't agree more. I have made a number of decision that in retrospect I wish I had made differently. C'est la vie.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @TaliciaDragonsong: That's an interesting way to play the game. Isn't it hard to keep track of everything?
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By tekmojo

What I plan on doing when I roll a new character is shortly after the dragonborn intro, I will teleport to a random far off place. Once there I will pretend like that is the starting location and proceed on my journey from there.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I was worried about that, but just by running through with my current Argonian character, I've been able to come up with plenty of reasons that he, as a character, would be doing half the crazy crap he currently is doing. Well, everything except the Companions. They're still as boring and ignored as ever.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@TheDudeOfGaming said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong: That's an interesting way to play the game. Isn't it hard to keep track of everything?
    So far it's not, but that's because I'm keeping them out of each other's way, doing specific quests and guilds.
    But as soon as I finish most of that they will cross into shared areas and that's when I play the same Dwemer ruin three times and quit in frustration, probably.

I also overdo it with these games, and MMO's, not unheard of for me to have dozens of different characters whom all end up in the level cap.
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Nux

I was just thinking that I want to try out a new character. I'm still going to beat the game with my first character but I do like the idea of trying out something new.

beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By beckley205

No.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By fox01313

Went through Oblivion with specific characters just to run through the fighters guild, mage guild to just see what those are all about but guessing with Skyrim the same applies. So far there doesn't seem to be a level limit so you can just start using other things then go to trainers/skill books to get those skills up to the rest but again kind of stuck with whoever you have then pick someone else.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#15  Edited By sarahsdad

I think I know what you mean. I played the 2nd Dragon age twice through to completion, making different choices in some of the spots. Sure I could have just gone back to a couple of different save files and branched from there, but I wanted put some character into what I was playing, and part of that was trying to have them make somewhat consistent choices. Did similar with ME:2 as well.

I'm only a couple hours into Oblivion; I haven't seen any of the mage, thief, fighter, etc. storylines come up, but I can only imagine that when they do, there are some I'm going to skip with my 1st character because they wouldn't make sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.