Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Can I run this game?

BlueSour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlueSour

Hello fellow TES fans.

I have decided to buy Skyrim for my PC, but I am a bit concerned if I will be able run it.

My PC Specs:
    Windows 7 (64-bit)  (Build 7600)
    8 GB Ram
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 2.80 GHz
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 
    9 GB Hardrive
    DirectX 11

I'm planning to max out this game.
    So tell me can I run this game and/or what do I need to upgrade?

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By VisariLoyalist

hell no you can't it's not out yet

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By dillonwerner

You probably will just need a better graphics card.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

you seriously only have a 9GB hard drive?     my guess Skyrim will be at least 10GB :)

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By WickedCestus
    @VisariLoyalist said:
    hell no you can't it's not out yet
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Surkov

It will run but probably not maxed out. Also, you will need more harddrive space 

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Cameron

If you just want to play it, you should be fine with what you have, but if you really want to max it out like you say, then you will need a better graphics card.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By emem

I suppose the 9GB HDD is a typo.. I think it will run fine on medium settings, depending on how well ported it is.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spoonman671

You may need a new video card.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Evilsbane

Find the man that sold you that Hard drive, and punch him in the nose.

BlueSour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BlueSour
    @emem said:

I suppose the 9GB HDD is a typo.. I think it will run fine on medium settings, depending on how well ported it is.

Yeah, you're right. I actually have 628 GB of free space out of 919 GB, Oops!
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mikemcn

@BlueSour said:

@emem said:

Yeah, you're right. I actually have 628 GB of free space out of 919 GB, Oops!

How do you have a 919 GB hardrive then?

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By warxsnake

You'll run it at above average framerate and quality on the multiplatform spec. Whether or not you max it out, those are details that can only be revealed once they release the min/rec spec list, and whether the developer creates a subset group of GPU instructions exclusive to the PC version, such as running DX11 instructions and so on. Though that's unlikely.

8GB of ram ensures stable framerate in a asset-streaming heavy world.

Corei7 ensures you have stable framerate in a CPU-intensive dynamic world filled with real time simulations.

GTX 260 means you can run the game as it was programmed for multiplatform release at a higher spec than the console versions, since the GPUs on consoles are generations old.

Btw, do you know how much Vram your 260 has? is it a 260 216?

@Mikemcn: Terabyte drive?

BlueSour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlueSour

I thank you all for the positive help, and I'll look into getting a new graphics card.

As for the hardrive. Because I'm not really a computer guy, I'm not sure how many GBs my hardrive have. What I counted was the Drive I use to store my games and stuff.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Raineko
    @BlueSour said:
      So tell me can I run this game and/or what do I need to upgrade?
    No sorry, you will absolutely not be able to run this game.

No really, are you serious?
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By JoeyRavn

If you built that PC yourself and only use it for gaming, it's rather unbalanced. 8GB RAM is overkill if you're not planning on editing video and large image files, and the GTX 260 is quite less powerful than the rest of the components. Get a GTX 570 and you'll be set for at least 4 or 5 years.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Joru

Impossible to say without knowing the amount of VRAM and your monitor's resolution. You probably will need a better graphics card to run it with everything maxed, but it will still look great with this one (assuming it has 1GB of RAM) with stuff like motion blur turned down or disabled.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By unchained

The minimum requirements and the recommended requirements haven't been released by Bethesda yet. Wait on finding out that before you upgrade, as you will be able to figure out then if and what you need to upgrade. Seeing as they are developing for consoles which is 5-6 year technology, you should be able to run the game fine on even high settings. Ultra might be out of your reach, but you never know. But even that is just guessing, as we all need to wait on Bethesda to release the hardware requirements.

pegasuswinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pegasuswinks

You have a 9 gigabyte hard drive, I highly doubt that Skyrim can fit on it. I mean ME2 on the PC is like... 16 gigs or something. Other than that you probably just need a better gfx card like most people.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Portis

Might want to buy a larger hard drive.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nate
    @Unchained said:

The minimum requirements and the recommended requirements haven't been released by Bethesda yet. Wait on finding out that before you upgrade, as you will be able to figure out then if and what you need to upgrade. Seeing as they are developing for consoles which is 5-6 year technology, you should be able to run the game fine on even high settings. Ultra might be out of your reach, but you never know. But even that is just guessing, as we all need to wait on Bethesda to release the hardware requirements.

This is definitely not the case. There are a whole slew of games that run better on my consoles at this point (5-6 year tech) than my PC (top of the line 3 or 4 years ago).  Sometimes the PC versions of games are simply more power hungry without actually looking that much better. 2 years ago, I feel like my PC could still run games looking better than on the console, but for whatever reason that's not always the case any more.
    Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Badhands

I am going to assume your hard drive size is wrong but the pc in general should be able to run it. In the Witcher 2 quick look the giantbomb staff did they where running witcher 2 on a 260. So although you may not be able to max it or run DX11 (if it is available) you should be able to run it. 

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Max_Cherry

You can run it well. Any one who says you can't run it is fucking with you.

thatguyfosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thatguyfosho

Your only option is to throw your computer out your window and hope for the best.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Nate said:

@Unchained said:

This is definitely not the case. There are a whole slew of games that run better on my consoles at this point (5-6 year tech) than my PC (top of the line 3 or 4 years ago). Sometimes the PC versions of games are simply more power hungry without actually looking that much better. 2 years ago, I feel like my PC could still run games looking better than on the console, but for whatever reason that's not always the case any more.

A PC that is 3 to 4 years old may as well be a pile of poop. What the hell are you on about?

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nate
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Nate said:

@Unchained said:

This is definitely not the case. There are a whole slew of games that run better on my consoles at this point (5-6 year tech) than my PC (top of the line 3 or 4 years ago). Sometimes the PC versions of games are simply more power hungry without actually looking that much better. 2 years ago, I feel like my PC could still run games looking better than on the console, but for whatever reason that's not always the case any more.

A PC that is 3 to 4 years old may as well be a pile of poop. What the hell are you on about?

Yeah, that's kind of the point that I was trying to make. That just because my PC is newer than my PS3 or 360 (and the "guts" are more powerful/fast on paper) it doesn't mean it's going to run games better.  For the record, my PC is only 2 years old, but I did get parts that were probably top of the line 3 years ago.  Anyway, "pile of poop" might be a bit strong as it still does run SOME games a lot better than the consoles do - Dragon Age (1 and 2), Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2, and a couple others. Others, like Crysis 2 or Bulletstorm, would probably look a lot better on the consoles.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Nate said:
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Nate said:

@Unchained said:

Yeah, that's kind of the point that I was trying to make. That just because my PC is newer than my PS3 or 360 (and the "guts" are more powerful/fast on paper) it doesn't mean it's going to run games better.  For the record, my PC is only 2 years old, but I did get parts that were probably top of the line 3 years ago.  Anyway, "pile of poop" might be a bit strong as it still does run SOME games a lot better than the consoles do - Dragon Age (1 and 2), Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2, and a couple others. Others, like Crysis 2 or Bulletstorm, would probably look a lot better on the consoles.
    That's odd.
    Considering I'm running a Q9400, 4GB RAM and 8800GT (which by all rights should do worse than what you have considering it's almost 4 years old) and it's been consistently outperforming every single multiplatform game compared to my PS3 (in every way). There is not a single multiplatform game that I have played where I found the console version to be doing better than than my admittedly old PC, with the excpetion of the last couple of Rockstar Games.

In any case, OP, don't go thinking about upgrading just yet. Wait for the game to come out. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to run satisfactorily with that hardware, and at the very least, you should wait to find out for yourself since everyone here is just making guesses. Needless to say, by the time the game does come out and you somehow actually find yourself needing to upgrade, you'll find better prices on current hardware. Waiting would be the wise thing to do.
    sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sreya92

You do know the game's not out yet right? Why post this when it doesn't matter?

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By mfpantst

Let me go install and see how it runs on my machine then let you know.  oh.  It's not out yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.