can you not have multiple save files? game deleted my 60+ hours

#1 Posted by pjacobson21 (198 posts) -

I figured today i would break up my current playthrough and piss around about on a new file.  Pick a new race, level in different skills, etc. Game froze on me about a minute in (typical ha) but after that it was all good.  After about two hours I go to make my first hard save and I'm a little put out by the fact that my only save options are new save or to replace another save file that is a level 1 character (not my main file) I make a new save, go to load my main file and the only options I see are the level1 file and the one I just saved.  I quit to the menu, go to load, same friggen thing.  Go to the XMB (im on ps3) and go to view my save files and the only skyrim ones are the two i mentioned plus some auto saves from my new playthrough.

So yeah, fuck this game.  For now.  I know I will come back to it at some point but I'm gonna need to give it some time before I can bring myself to replay those quests.  I'm just wondering what the fuck happened? You can have multiple saves, right? I'm wondering if something happened when it froze up that first time on the new playthrough. Cause the level 1 save seems to be from around when the game froze.  

tl;dr fuck this game / anyone have this happen to them? / any possible fix for this?

#2 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Did you only have one hard save on your other character?

#3 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

You can have multiple saves. You must've saved over it.

#4 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

This is why I have over 10 hard saves....

#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

I have a feeling the vast majority of problems people are having on the PS3 come from not knowing how to treat an Elder Scrolls game.

Turn off auto-saves, that shit is toxic. Yes all auto-saves.

Never overwrite saves, always make a new save file. Delete them if you feel like it's too much clutter. But to be safe you should have around 6 saves for one character.

That should help out with your character management and some freezing issues.

And what do you mean you were disappointed that the game only gave you two options? What other option would there be?

I did wish Bethesda made character profiles in the save menu though, that's a disappoint. Like when you make a new character it creates a save file for that character. So when you click Load it would show like the 2 or 3 characters you have made. It just seems like a design oversight or something.

#6 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I have 167 save files so yeah I would guess so. I really should delete most of them.

#7 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

@Resident4t said:

I have 167 save files so yeah I would guess so. I really should delete most of them.

REMEMBER TO GO BOTTOM UP

#8 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

Bummer dude I had over 100 saves when I played through the game to be safe. Safe often.

#9 Posted by KarlPilkington (2718 posts) -

I new save everytime, I have quite a lot of saves.

#10 Edited by pjacobson21 (198 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

And what do you mean you were disappointed that the game only gave you two options? What other option would there be?

To save over my 60+ hour file. Not that I would have wanted to obviously but i knew something was up since my main save file wasn't showing up.

And yes, I realize I could have avoided this issue by keeping multiple saves but I was trying to force myself to stick to the choices I made in game. Having multiple save points seemed like it would only tempt me to remake decisions. Plus you can disagree all you want, but it should not be my responsibility to prepare for something like this. That being said, you can be sure that when I finally go back to the game I'm going to be filling up my hard drive with hard saves.

Also the save that seems to have replaced my main 60 hour save is extremely early in the game. It's from right before you pick your race. I load up the save and it puts me in the game right as the guard is calling forward Ulfric to be executed. I know I never did a hard save there.

#11 Posted by spazmaster666 (1966 posts) -

@pjacobson21 said:

To save over my 60+ hour file. Not that I would have wanted to obviously but i knew something was up since my main save file wasn't showing up.

And yes, I realize I could have avoided this issue by keeping multiple saves but I was trying to force myself to stick to the choices I made in game. Having multiple save points seemed like it would only tempt me to remake decisions. Plus you can disagree all you want, but it should not be my responsibility to prepare for something like this. That being said, you can be sure that when I finally go back to the game I'm going to be filling up my hard drive with hard saves.

Also the save that seems to have replaced my main 60 hour save is extremely early in the game. It's from right before you pick your race. I load up the save and it puts me in the game right as the guard is calling forward Ulfric to be executed. I know I never did a hard save there.

The choices you make weren't really meaningful enough for me to want to go back and change things. The reason why I have about 200 saves is in case a quest line breaks and I have to load an earlier save. The main reason why you have multiple saves in an Elder Scrolls game isn't to retroactively change your decisions but to protect yourself against bugs and glitches.

#12 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

@pjacobson21 said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I keep multiple saves not to go back and redo a choice, I've never done that. I do that because of shit you just described.

I never said it was your responsibility. It's not your responsibility to be productive or whatever, I'm telling you how to avoid it. It should have been common sense in a game like this on your platform how turbulent the experience might be to keep multiple saves in case you did something wrong by accident.

Of course continue to do things that will net you the worst results for your experience and then continue to bitch. It's your goddamn right to act like a fool. I'm just letting you know for the future

#13 Posted by pjacobson21 (198 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

Of course continue to do things that will net you the worst results for your experience and then continue to bitch.

ehhhhhhhh I didn't come here to bitch, I was hoping someone had a similar glitch happen and could hopefully explain a miracle fix for it or at minimum let me know what happened on my game wasn't completely unheard of.
You're entitled to assume I simply saved over my file and am so torn up by it I had to hit the forums to go bitch about it, but that is not what happened.   The advice on multiple save files is sound advice and something I know I will do in the future, but there is a difference between telling me that this is a good idea to prevent problems in the future and telling me this glitch is my fault because I never did that. It's the difference between being helpful and just trying to boost your ego.
#14 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

@pjacobson21 said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Of course continue to do things that will net you the worst results for your experience and then continue to bitch.

ehhhhhhhh I didn't come here to bitch, I was hoping someone had a similar glitch happen and could hopefully explain a miracle fix for it or at minimum let me know what happened on my game wasn't completely unheard of. You're entitled to assume I simply saved over my file and am so torn up by it I had to hit the forums to go bitch about it, but that is not what happened. The advice on multiple save files is sound advice and something I know I will do in the future, but there is a difference between telling me that this is a good idea to prevent problems in the future and telling me this glitch is my fault because I never did that. It's the difference between being helpful and just trying to boost your ego.

I don't think there was glitch. I've never heard of anything like that happening. I think you accidentally clicked on your file by accident.

The save you are talking about is real. That happened on my PC too, but that's not a glitch. The game makes an auto save after the cart thing.

#15 Posted by pjacobson21 (198 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

The game makes an auto save after the cart thing.

This is really helpful to hear, and makes me more confident that it was a glitch. I'm sure it is the same on PC but on PS3 auto saves will be the titled something like "location - AUTO" and hard saves you make obviously don't save auto.  The save on my PS3 from that spot does not indicate it was an autosave. As well the first time I got to that point the game froze up on me. I wish I could adequately explain it but it seems to me like the autosave that normally occurs there for whatever reason was a hardsave that replaced my main save file. Goodbye Skyrim :( see you in a month or so when I inevitably get drawn back in (realistically I'll probably be back playing in a week ha)
#16 Edited by Declarius (180 posts) -

@pjacobson21 said:

I figured today i would break up my current playthrough and piss around about on a new file. Pick a new race, level in different skills, etc. Game froze on me about a minute in (typical ha) but after that it was all good. After about two hours I go to make my first hard save and I'm a little put out by the fact that my only save options are new save or to replace another save file that is a level 1 character (not my main file) I make a new save, go to load my main file and the only options I see are the level1 file and the one I just saved. I quit to the menu, go to load, same friggen thing. Go to the XMB (im on ps3) and go to view my save files and the only skyrim ones are the two i mentioned plus some auto saves from my new playthrough. So yeah, fuck this game. For now. I know I will come back to it at some point but I'm gonna need to give it some time before I can bring myself to replay those quests. I'm just wondering what the fuck happened? You can have multiple saves, right? I'm wondering if something happened when it froze up that first time on the new playthrough. Cause the level 1 save seems to be from around when the game froze. tl;dr fuck this game / anyone have this happen to them? / any possible fix for this?

This happened to my 40 hour save the week of release. I still haven't gone back to the game :(. I somehow had an old save for my character but I was missing like 20 hours.

To maybe provide some help, I have no idea how it works on 360, but on PC the game makes backups of your most recent saves and renames the file .bak on PC. You can change them back to the original file name to recover them. For me, these backups were not recent.

#17 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@pjacobson21: I had a similar experience with Fallout 3 on PS3. Basically, every time you create a new character at some point in the beginning the game will create its own hard save. If you save over THAT save instead of creating your own hard save, the original file while be replaced the next time you create a new character and it's time to automatically make a hard save again. I made that mistake numerous times before I figured it out, maybe it's the same in Skyrim?

Hope that helps.

#18 Posted by OneManX (1686 posts) -

Am I the only guy, who thinks it's kinda crazy that you NEED to make so many backup saves, when most if not all my other RPGs or just regular games I need like between 1-3?

#19 Posted by QKT (250 posts) -

i only keep 3 hard saves.

#20 Edited by haggis (1677 posts) -

Honestly, it sounds like he saved over the wrong file, and so it doesn't sound like a glitch to me.

I've only ever kept two or three hard saves (usually just because I'm in a hurry to save and accidentally click "new save" instead of saving over my last hard save). And yes, it's to avoid problems with broken questlines. Because that does happen from time to time, although I've yet to have this happen in Skyrim and I've played my character for about 80 hours now.

You don't really need to keep any more than the three autosaves, if that's what you want to do. But there's a risk in doing so. Keeping a few extra saves isn't much of a burden, though, given the amount of trouble it prevents. I usually keep a few hard saves in any game that allows it, because I've had the power drop out before, corrupting a save. And that can happen in just about any game.

#21 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

If you quicksave then start a new game, you will lose it. You gotta save manually to keep it. Probably not the freeze fault when you started a new game.

#22 Edited by Melvargh (490 posts) -

I have over 230 saves. Not all at once, just total number. I always keep saves from at least 5 hours back, and every once in a while I'll clear out a whole boatload of em.

This is not really relevant. I'm just sayin.

#23 Edited by StrainedEyes (1323 posts) -

The game creates an Auto Hard Save when you get off the cart in the beginning. The reason your old character's save file was overwritten is because this mandatory hard save is put into the same slot each time you start the game over, which was the same hard save slot you had been using your entire game.

So, next time, make sure to make a new save slot once your able to, and avoid using the one it created for you.

#24 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

Shouldn't it have 3 auto saves as well?

#25 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -
@Geo7877 said:

The game creates an Auto Hard Save when you get off the cart in the beginning. The reason your old character's save file was overwritten is because this mandatory hard save is put into the same slot each time you start the game over, which was the same hard save slot you had been using your entire game.

So, next time, make sure to make a new save slot once your able to, and avoid using the one it created for you.

This is what happened.
#26 Posted by Masterflamer1 (2 posts) -

This happened to me to I screamed and threw the controller...Attitude problem.Because I delete all Auto Saves and keep only one hard save of my personas.One way is to NEVER WRITE OVER THAT HARD SAVE THE GAME MAKES BEFORE CHOOSING YOUR CHARACTER!It will not create another and not save over another file :)

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14765 posts) -

I do a new save EVERY time I save. At this point at about 156 saves? Still have my very first save from when I started the game hours after the game released.

#28 Posted by Masterflamer1 (2 posts) -

Oh right and don't start new from the menu or it will make another start from that hard save.Hope I Helped!

#29 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

No problems here & after playing the game quite a lot I just stuck with 2-3 hard saves (one being just immediate progress & the others for general checkpoints).

#30 Posted by fallout53894 (1 posts) -

thx for the advice, the same happened to my 240 hour sace file :( now I wil make 100 saves for sure :P

#31 Posted by Turambar (6738 posts) -

I like playing it risky and using only three hard saves.  Awwww yeah.

#32 Posted by Krista_15 (1 posts) -

I also had this happen. Yesterday I had a friend try out the game. He never did a hard save because he knew it was not his system. Mysteriously my new main character that I have been using for the last month has disappeared. I checked the save files and there are three auto saves from his game and none of my main character. :( This has made me sad. Now I have to redo everything again.

#33 Posted by believer258 (11794 posts) -

Should have clicked New Save. Actually, since this is a TES game, you should have had many saves in case it bugged out or you get yourself in a bind or you just want to reverse something, etc.

And no, TES games do not have separate save lists for separate characters. This is one hell of an oversight for Bethesda and I wish they would have implemented such a feature, but they haven't and we have to sort through all of our saves to find the right character. Pain in the ass.

#34 Posted by Capum15 (4874 posts) -
@ComradeKhan said:
@Geo7877 said:

This is what happened.
Seems like it would be the cause.

I keep a rolling save system in every game that allows me, of about 6-8 saves. I save over the last one each time (unless it's only been a few minutes since my previous save). Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Skyrim, anything that allows me.
#35 Posted by Eaxis (912 posts) -

In oblivion I had a 500+ saves on the xbox, took some time to delete the ones I didn't need. I learned ,and in fallout3/skyrim I have saved about 300+ times but max 10 hard saves. Dragons Dogma is crasy for just allowing me one save.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.