Can't believe I just found my first bug

#1 Posted by EODTech (83 posts) -

I just now experienced my very first bug in not only this but any other Bethesda game. The "Blood on the Ice" quest is glitching out on me, I need to talk to Viola but she's nowhere to be found and I certainly didn't kill her.

I guess if you go long enough you'll eventually find a bug, but I have to be some kind of record holder. 200 hrs in Morrowind, about 200 in Fallout 3, maybe 300 in New Vegas, over 1200 (you read that right) in Oblivion, and over 130 so far in Skyrim. And I've only just now had my first bug. Ever. Weird.

#2 Posted by Melvargh (479 posts) -

You must be the luckiest person on Earth.

#3 Posted by FritzDude (2216 posts) -

The latest update (1.4) should fix issues with the 'Blood on the ice' quest. Make sure it's initialized properly to the game by checking if it says 1.4.xx in the system menu at the bottom corner, and wait in-game for over 72 hours.. If you already accepted the quest before the update it's highly likely that the quest is not retroactive, which means you need to load a save before starting it or by starting a new game.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6061 posts) -

I have still yet to find any sort of bugs. I've not even had any characters clip into each other, I was looking forward to it too.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (7655 posts) -

You're the same as I am! I've had amazing good fortune with Elder Scrolls games. My only glitch in Skyrim so far has been one of my pieces of armor being invisible. I've really been surprised, as I have been preparing for crazy glitches, but to no avail.

We are fortunate folks.

#6 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

i never seem to have problems with any games that are thought of as glitchy. only one in skyrim was during boethiah's quest at the sacrifice.

#7 Posted by Cincaid (2948 posts) -

@EODTech said:

over 1200 (you read that right) in Oblivion

Holy shit

#8 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Melvargh said:

You must be the luckiest person on Earth.

This... man, this. My first experience with a Bethesda game was Fallout 3 and I literally had a game breaking bug in the first half an hour. When I went to take my exam the event never started but I was stuck in my chair unable to move while the teacher sat his desk. At first I didn't realize it was a bug (as it was my first time playing the game) and I eventually sat there for like 10 minutes before I figured out what was going on. Got so mad that I encountered a bug that early I didn't go back to the game for a few months. 

That said I think Skyrim as buggy as it is, is certainly more polished than anything else they've made. I didn't run into an actual game breaking bug for a very long time myself. Plenty of terrible frame-rate drops, crashes, and minor bugs but nothing that made me want to punch the game like Fallout 3.  

I think the most impressive thing is that you put so much time into Fallout 3 but never ran into a bug, even after that first game breaking one there was plenty more afterwards in my case.
#9 Posted by EODTech (83 posts) -

@Zenaxzd: I don't think I'm as lucky as you and others seem to think. I think it's just a matter of the squeaky wheel getting all the attention. Guys who never experience game breaking bugs aren't going to seek out "who's never had any bugs" threads on gaming sites. Whereas guys who do experience bugs are going to tend to congregate into the threads about bugs. (When I say "guys" here I mean male and female...sorry, I call everybody guy or dude, gender notwithstanding, so no offense to you lady gamers.) The point is you only hear from the people who have bad experiences.

Even this one is a pretty minor bug, I think. All that it means is that I won't be able to buy that house in Windhelm. I can just do the quest with my next character, or the one after that. No sweat. Wasn't planning on spending much time in that town anyway since I'm siding with the Empire for this playthrough.

#10 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I don't recall any bugs in Oblivion or Fallout 3. I had a few bugs in Fallout New Vegas and I had one guy get stuck in the ground at the waist in Skyrim and he was there every time I went by but I found it hilarious.

#11 Posted by pweidman (2215 posts) -

Play the lottery, any and all you can find.

#12 Posted by Skyrimnerd (10 posts) -

I've haven't found a bug yet, but I've only played 15 hoirs

#13 Posted by CJduke (780 posts) -

I have played Skyrim for 60 hours (PC version) and besides it crashing a few times, I haven't encountered a single bug.

#14 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9758 posts) -

@CJduke said:

I have played Skyrim for 60 hours (PC version) and besides it crashing a few times, I haven't encountered a single bug.

Yes, because clearly those aren't bugs! (Kidding.)

#15 Posted by SgtCarlMc (5 posts) -

Hi from Australia, well, where to start, I am 60 and been playing SkyRim since Xmas, Bugs, bugs, my God, the game is full of bugs, disappearing floors,soldiers without faces, your character without a face, merchants minus heads, full head of hair one minute, go out door come back in and he's bald, playing game and it disappears back to desktop, Steam box pops up saying your game is not in sync with Cloud, WTF, go through door and next your looking at your desktop, restart game again, I restart my game at least 5 times a night. Dragons can kill off important characters, like the time I visited Riverwood and the dragon kills the blacksmith ending quest. Some quests, after completetion do not disappear from quest box, I have two bounties that have been paid by the Jarl of HAAFINGAR but won't go to completed box. Do not pick up Attunemaent Spheres, they weigh 2 each and if you got 2 thats 4lbs of useless weight, can't drop them because they are quest items. If you go to Methunes Alter and kill the Daedric Lords, they keep re-birthing over an over, keep looting their hearts, very rare in game for Daedric Armour. Don't forget the flying dragon flying backwards, lol lol, and the glitches of walking through walls and getting every sword in Whiterun Companions Chest Don't get me started on STEAM, useless Company run by idiots

#16 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

@SgtCarlMc said:

Hi from Australia, well, where to start, I am 60 and been playing SkyRim since Xmas, Bugs, bugs, my God, the game is full of bugs, disappearing floors,soldiers without faces, your character without a face, merchants minus heads, full head of hair one minute, go out door come back in and he's bald, playing game and it disappears back to desktop, Steam box pops up saying your game is not in sync with Cloud, WTF, go through door and next your looking at your desktop, restart game again, I restart my game at least 5 times a night. Dragons can kill off important characters, like the time I visited Riverwood and the dragon kills the blacksmith ending quest. Some quests, after completetion do not disappear from quest box, I have two bounties that have been paid by the Jarl of HAAFINGAR but won't go to completed box. Do not pick up Attunemaent Spheres, they weigh 2 each and if you got 2 thats 4lbs of useless weight, can't drop them because they are quest items. If you go to Methunes Alter and kill the Daedric Lords, they keep re-birthing over an over, keep looting their hearts, very rare in game for Daedric Armour. Don't forget the flying dragon flying backwards, lol lol, and the glitches of walking through walls and getting every sword in Whiterun Companions Chest Don't get me started on STEAM, useless Company run by idiots
#17 Posted by EODTech (83 posts) -

@SgtCarlMc said:

Dragons can kill off important characters, like the time I visited Riverwood and the dragon kills the blacksmith ending quest.

I wouldn't call that a bug. More like "shit happens." I have had that happen twice. Once I said "eh, oh well, sometimes life sucks" and moved on. The other time I reloaded my last save.

It helps if you don't kite dragons toward populated areas.

#18 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Blood on the Ice is hugely bugged. It's what finally broke my will to play Skyrim.

But I'm going to go ahead and call shenanigans on your claim to no other bugs ever.

#19 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4497 posts) -

Can't say I ever really ran into bugs either. Makes the whole 'skyrim shouldn't be so highly praised because it's insanely broken' argument very weird to see, but I guess I was just lucky/ started playing after a few patches.

#20 Posted by EODTech (83 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

Blood on the Ice is hugely bugged. It's what finally broke my will to play Skyrim.

But I'm going to go ahead and call shenanigans on your claim to no other bugs ever.

I am playing on console and due to being out of the country, couldn't play until the third patch was already out. Maybe not starting the game until after the third patch has something to do with it. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I think the game's just not as broken as people make it out to be. People love to complain about stuff.

#21 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

1200 hours? That's insane.

#22 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@EODTech said:

@BrockNRolla said:

I am playing on console and due to being out of the country, couldn't play until the third patch was already out. Maybe not starting the game until after the third patch has something to do with it. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I think the game's just not as broken as people make it out to be. People love to complain about stuff.

Quest breaking bugs were relatively rare, but pre-patching, Skyrim was a very buggy game. Even the patches broke aspects of it which then needed to be fixed with later patches. People certainly love to complain, but Skyrim was full of bugs worth complaining about.

#23 Edited by C_Cage (56 posts) -

I still can't believe people have gone through this game with out finding bugs. I've seen mammoths fly and a dragon flying backward. I ran into the blood on ice bug. I got stuck on the main quest because the jackass refused to open the door even when I teleported in there and beat his ass to the ground. The Argonian fencer in Solitude scaled the wall and when I followed him to the docs he would stand in one place and not move. All I had to was go out the door and go back in but at the time after running into bug after bug I was afraid that he would some how disappear or the game would collapse on itself and create a black hole or something so I dicked around for an hour trying to get him to move with out him noticing I was there. There was also some guy who walked through the floor in some city with his head peeking out. I almost forgot about the quest with that nightmare staff where the guy that was following me in the hidden temple decided to just hang out in the library for the rest of his life until I reloaded and redid the quest. When ever I put on one of the dragon priest masks my face would disappear. It was all really funny and also frustrating. The one glitch that I loved was the giant flinging you in to the air with one hit. I wish they kept that.

#24 Posted by SgtCarlMc (5 posts) -

Well, thats a good reply, NOT What part don't u believe, I'm all ears? Hard to believe that all the posts on Forums totalling thousands of (according to the above posts) players whom have tried to play but can't because of bugs, hundreds of YouTube videos with the actual bugs screened shows me you either walk around blind to the obvious or just plain liars. Ppl love to complain about stuff, I suggest you google Skyrim bugs,all those thousands of ppl must be total losers, its very hard to live in your perfect world

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.