Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Children in Skyrim

• 57 results
    GrimReaperAlec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GrimReaperAlec

Why didn't Bethesda put in children that are not of the Human category?

I want to see Dark Elf children! >:(

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

Why did Bethesda put in children? They're all annoying brats.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang
    @Scooper

I know right!
    There is this girl in Whiterun that I want to fucking kill every time I see her.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ghostiet

Probably the exact same reason BioWare didn't put females other than humans and asari in Mass Effect. It would require effort.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By geirr

@Hizang said:

@Scooper

I know right! There is this girl in Whiterun that I want to fucking kill every time I see her.

Killable children mod might just fix that. :3

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NathanStack

Am I the only one who finds the adoption thing they're adding to Hearthfire (or whatever it's called) extremely creepy?

I don't even want to think of the mods that are going to get built around it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@Ghostiet said:

Probably the exact same reason BioWare didn't put females other than humans and asari in Mass Effect. It would require effort.

Come on, doesn't that statement seem a little silly? Skyrim and Mass Effect are obviously games that have had an incredible amount of effort put in to create them, and game development isn't just a case of putting in enough effort, it's also got everything to do with time, resources, and the skill of the people working on them (not that I'm suggesting the people at Bioware or Bethesda are unskilled).

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jazzycola

I would think its the same reason you couldn't kill children in Fallout 3 or New Vegas. It can go down a very dark road that can be a major PR disaster if the major news channels catch on.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By elyk247

I really would like a baby Argoninan, it would lay its eggs and I would create an army of Argonians to do my bidding. It would be like Reptile's race form Mortal Kombat.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Gamer_152 said:

@Ghostiet said:

Come on, doesn't that statement seem a little silly? Skyrim and Mass Effect are obviously games that have had an incredible amount of effort put in to create them, and game development isn't just a case of putting in enough effort, it's also got everything to do with time, resources, and the skill of the people working on them (not that I'm suggesting the people at Bioware or Bethesda are unskilled).

I remember someone from BioWare, I think it was Casey Hudson, stating that there are no female turians because they frankly have no idea how they look like. Which is silly, considering the characterization of turians as a militant race where everyone fights all the time and how they managed to effectively bypass that problem with asari and salarians/krogans (by making them space babes and writing a good reason for having few and well-guarded females, respectively). Which to me is kinda lazy.

And I would really, really discuss the "effort" part with Mass Effect 3, considering what an obvious mess this game is from a design stand-point, but that's a vastly different topic. PM, shall we?

Basically, I admit that was more of a jab towards BioWare than Bethesda.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wjb

@Hizang said:

@Scooper

I know right! There is this girl in Whiterun that I want to fucking kill every time I see her.

"GET THE HELL OUT OF MY HOUSE, YOU KIDS!"

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Zleunamme

@Gamer_152: Couldn't lack children or gender of non-human species be a technical limitation. I'm not a programmer or designer. I'm guessing software has memory constraints. It seems every modern game reuses the same character models to populate all the NPC in their given world. The only noticeable differences are hair/skin tones and clothing. Maybe it's me, but it seems creepy when digital children -of any kind- are in a game.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@Zleunamme said:

@Gamer_152: Couldn't lack children or gender of non-human species be a technical limitation. I'm not a programmer or designer. I'm guessing software has memory constraints. It seems every modern game reuses the same character models to populate all the NPC in their given world. The only noticeable differences are hair/skin tones and clothing. Maybe it's me, but it seems creepy when digital children -of any kind- are in a game.

Stuff like that is much more an issue to do with hardware limitations than software limitations. I suppose this could conceivably be an answer or a factor in why there are no children, but it seems very speculative, especially considering that with all the environments, models, animations, NPCs, and textures, the children would probably only have been a small piece in the grander scheme of things.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By penguindust

Geez, I remember people complaining that there were no children in Warcraft and now people are complaining that there are children in Skyrim. You just can't win. The adoption add-on allows players to form families like in the Sims. I don't find that creepy, but if a mind immediately goes to the gutter with such things does that mean the game element has no value at all? What a horrible world it would be if all discoveries, inventions and ideas were snuffed out because of the potential harm they might cause.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Example1013

children are evil and deserve to die

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

@Ghostiet said:

That's a cheap shot. Skyrim is fucking enormous. Obviously they put in work.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Nux

@Hizang said:

@Scooper

I know right!
    There is this girl in Whiterun that I want to fucking kill every time I see her.

I can't stand the Jarl of Whiterun's son. I hate him and his one line of dialogue so much!

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By PandaBear

I killed a kid once.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Hizang

@Nux said:

@Hizang said:

@Scooper

I know right!

I can't stand the Jarl of Whiterun's son. I hate him and his one line of dialogue so much!

The girl I'm on about is the one that bullies this other little boy, she then proceeds to talk back at you.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nux

@Hizang said:

@Nux said:

@Hizang said:

@Scooper

I know right!

The girl I'm on about is the one that bullies this other little boy, she then proceeds to talk back at you.

She's the one who goes on and on about fighting anyone even elders right? Man she sucks too. Its feels like the children are programed to piss us off because the developers knew we wouldn't be able to kill them. I mean it seems like almost every kid in the game has something braty to say when you talk to them.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By inkerman

Maybe they had trouble scaling down non-human character designs. I don't this would be a problem for the elves, but for Khajit and Argonians, the children could look real fucked up. Then again, they could get around that by saying that Khajit and Argonians don't bring their children as far north as Skyrim.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dfsvegas

@familyphotoshoot said:

Am I the only one who finds the adoption thing they're adding to Hearthfire (or whatever it's called) extremely creepy?

What about child adoption is inherently creepy?

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ulain

Children wouldn't be so bad if not for most games making them annoying little shitbags, that usually talk down to your character, or steal shit from you.

That's why I love the first two fallouts (NOT 3 and New Vegas, fanboy idiots), you can take a rocket launcher to a child's eyes.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By beepmachine

Even the number of human children in the game is really low. I think the people of Tamriel are just all dying out.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@Ghostiet said:

That's a cheap shot. Skyrim is fucking enormous. Obviously they put in work.

Yeah, I admit I just couldn't resist a jab at BioWare.

DeiNile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DeiNile

@Ghostiet: Just to be that asshole, Mass Effect 3's plot centered heavily around a female Krogan. T'ali is female and is there not a female Salarian somewhere? I forget.

Anyway, you are correct, sir.

Marsher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By Marsher

totally off topic but is there a pillow mod in skyrim pillow forts were the best in morrowind!!!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ghostiet
    @DeiNile

The quarians are an inversion and it was actually rectified in ME2. Both the salarian and krogan females are actually the same models as the males. Someone from BioWare (Hudson?) admitted that there were no female aliens in the sequels (apart from that one krogan and two salarians, which are just clothed male models) because they have no idea how they could look like - which is especially jarring with the turians, since the krogans and salarians actually have an excuse for not having ladies around. So yeah, I'm correct, since we are talking about effort put into modeling new damn characters, which is what the topic is about.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ThePaleKing

Can you plant dynamite on the kids, or the Skyrim equivalent of dynamite, like in Fallout 1? If not I really don't see the point of this DLC.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By living4theday258

@Hizang said:

@Scooper

PC console commands if your on a PC. I think you can despawn/spawn NPC's.

@Nux: i wanna kill the one that says "Another wander here to lick my fathers boots... Good Job". I fucking hate that little shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read this thread, and it made me think... Why are almost all kids in video games annoying assholes?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By leebmx

@Village_Guy said:

I just read this thread, and it made me think... Why are almost all kids in video games annoying assholes?

Its a faithful representation of how they are in real life.....

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Terramagi

Because it would require effort.

On the subject of children, I love how different Bethesda and Obsidian treat children. Bethesda flaunts their immortality in front of you by making them the most annoying motherfuckers in the game. Obsidian? Well, let's just say I never felt the need to install a mod to make them mortal in New Vegas.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

@Village_Guy said:

Its a faithful representation of how they are in real life.....

Alright, that is pretty accurate actually. Fuck children, they all suck.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zeushbien

A lot of anger towards children in this thread. Pretty disturbing honestly..

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By AngelN7

Oh man I love the people saying "because that would require effort" none of you have any clue how hard is to make character models an animation even indivual unique models that require more work than the generic NPCs, making those charactes lips, hands and body move is pretty damn hard and it's better to put the work in the existing models instead of diverting work into something that would not look as good so yeah put more effort into your comments but what do you know about that... right.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Ulain said:

That's why I love the first two fallouts (NOT 3 and New Vegas, fanboy idiots), you can take a rocket launcher to a child's eyes.

Don't talk shit about New Vegas man.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By musubi

@familyphotoshoot said:

Uh, no? Why would this be any different then any other game that you can build a family in... The Sims... Fable etc... all let you have a spouse and kids. I don't see what is creepy about that.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ulain

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Ulain said:

Don't talk shit about New Vegas man.

No, no, you misunderstand, I LOVED 3 and New Vegas, I just can't stand when people act like they're the games that started the series.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Moonshadow101

@Ulain: On the subject of Fallout (1, 2, New Vegas, take your pick) I recall that J. E. Sawyer has written a pretty good bit about children in open-world video games: They should either be killable, or they should stay completely out of the player's way and be easy to ignore.

SortedeVaras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SortedeVaras
    SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By SpawnMan

@Gamer_152: And there are Quarian women too. And probably others.

I really wish you could kill children on the consoles. You can take a living corpse, set it ablaze with your VOICE, stick it with arrows then CUT the muthaf*cka's head off and watch it spiral down a slope where you can then pick it up and carry it and place it in someone's bed before drinking their blood, robbing them, killing their husband, killing them, stripping their clothes down to bare panties, and then empty your inventory of onions into their front lawn, BUT AS SOON AS YOU KILL A KID, OH NO! TOO FAR??! C'mon, let us slice the little ones puleasee?? :(

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Dreamfall31

As annoying as the children are in the game, it annoys me even more that ever single kid (male or female) has the EXACT same face! They couldn't even bother to make like two or three variations!

feliciano182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By feliciano182

@Ghostiet said:

Quite easy to say from the comfort of your chair and the privilege of being a consumer.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShaggE

Little Lamplight in FO3 is why I wouldn't mind a complete absence of children in Bethesda games.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ghostiet
    @feliciano182

@Ghostiet said:

Quite easy to say from the comfort of your chair and the privilege of being a consumer.

Of course I should try better if I don't like something. That's the most sensible arguement.
    JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JackG100

@Ghostiet: Tali is Quarian you know...

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ghostiet

@JackG100: Yes, and she was the only member of her race in ME1. This is a non-argument because it doesn't pertain in any way to my complaint. And if you wanna talk about Tali, let's talk about her photograph, shall we?

Salarian and krogan females are males in robes. BioWare openly admitted that there were no female turians up until Omega because they had no idea how they look like. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't portray the turians as a heavily militaristic race were everyone regardless of gender has to go on an army tour. And yeah, mocking BW for no effort when it comes to character models is something they rightfully deserve. Look at how the characters look in vanilla ME3 and in its DLC - a random doctor who gets killed in the opening moments of Leviathan has his own, custom character model, something they couldn't afford for Kahlee Sanders. I get it it takes time and money and devs have to cut a lot of corners, but you plan for this shit in advance. They've managed to come up with justifications for the lack of female krogans and salarians and they've openly fucked it up with the turians.

I admit my initial comment is a bit too vitriolic and perhaps Bethesda got needlessly dragged into it, but I stand by it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ghostiet

@GenocidalKitten: People decided to necro this thread and call me out on shit I already explained, so I figured I might as well answer them. Sorry for that, EOT from now on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.