Collector's Edition (Price Gouging)

#1 Edited by IrishBrewed (157 posts) -

Game 59.99

Art Book 19.99

Dragon Statue 19.99

Making DvD 9.99

Total $110

Be a collector and pay 150.

These prices seem reasonable based on similar products. I would argue that the Light Plastic Dragon Statue might not retail at that high a cost. But most action figures of this size are around 20bucks. The book price could be argued at 30bucks I am sure, even then it is not the same as the "collector's edition" I conclude that this bundle pack is really gouging the consumer with every item carrying top dollar and or inflated above its retail value. Why stick such a steep price on this,rather then a deal of a price where as you at least feel justified in this purchase. The collectors market is becoming and clever marketing tool to Price gouge its fans. I would like to see these editions named the "Compulsive Buyers Edition".

#2 Posted by Stahlbrand (889 posts) -

NO REALLY?! A Collector's Edition with a plastic toy is laughably overpriced, gee I'm glad that has never happened before.

I think the statue and the art book are probably more fairly estimated at $30 each, but yeah, the collector's edition, for the super fans with too much disposable income, is overpriced. Its not 'gouging' it is taxing foolishness. Fortunately the game itself is priced at the going market rate.

#3 Posted by IrishBrewed (157 posts) -

Oh I know its been done before, but why not call out Bethesda for joining the folds of screwing hardcore fans too? The fact that this is still going on and gamestop still insist that if you dont pre order they wont have still makes me chuckle.

#4 Posted by AndrewB (7782 posts) -

Being a hardcore fan doesn't necessarily mean being a moron and spending $150 on their game. I know what you mean, but the collectors edition market was *always* a clever marketing tool to wring more money out of the customers, since way back in the days when a collectors edition meant spending $10 more for a tin case that cost less than $1 to produce.

#5 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5195 posts) -

First of all, ALL the collectors editions are overpriced because the companies want to make more money (how dare they!).

Anyway if you don't like it vote with your wallet. Saying that they are screwing hardcore fans is implying that they are stupid, they can do whatever they want with their money, if they feel that 150$ for what they get they won't get it. It's would be like telling Jeff not to buy all the Skylanders toys.

#6 Posted by Stahlbrand (889 posts) -

All I mean is that its kind of passed the time for 'calling out' companies for doing this by now. It is now a thing that happens, not a novel insult. Its a little BS, but the victims are self-selecting and willing, so if they don't feel like they're getting ripped off, and nobody is forced to buy the expensive version, it doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.

But yeah, I hear what you're saying.

#7 Posted by IrishBrewed (157 posts) -

@mrskeleton. Why so defensive of this practice? I will not buy it and will vote with my wallet, but why can't I simply express my disdain for this? The notion that everyone knows this is a rip off is some what un true. I think their is plenty people who would try and justify this. I believe in consumer rights and power. I also believe it is our job as consumers to let them and others know when we feel as if a company is gouging prices. I think that if you do talk about these issues it keeps the subject on the table and doesn't let company's go unchecked. Every time this happens why not discuss it, rather then just defend the practice with "if you don't like it don't buy it"? Plus discussing it might deter ppl on the fence about buying it. I don't want to demonize Bethesda but this pricing is silly and they are slowing getting higher, when do they stop?

#8 Posted by Stahlbrand (889 posts) -

@IrishBrewed said:

I don't want to demonize Bethesda but this pricing is silly and they are slowing getting higher, when do they stop?

When the market will no longer bear it.

Some people really want that loot. Some people are willing to pay the premium. Nobody is being gouged - being gouged is getting charged twice or more than usual for bottled water in a state of emergency, being gouged is being forced to pay well above market rates because of a temporary scarcity.

This is a luxury item. People who open their wallets for this do so willingly because they have disposable income and want the extras. These type of thing are produced in limited supply to cater to that market.

#9 Posted by Slaker117 (4857 posts) -

The whole reason collector's editions exist is to get higher returns from hardcore fans. Literally, that is their sole purpose.

#10 Posted by bioblood22 (442 posts) -

And I am one of those suckers =(

#11 Posted by Yanngc33 (4551 posts) -

Yes but when you love and are invested in something, you don't care. They will sell thousands of stupid dragon statues, trust me

#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7597 posts) -

Meh, at least there's no ingame content or anything that you're missing out on by not buying it. It's a really poor CE, I'm very happy to just ignore it.

#13 Posted by Stahlbrand (889 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

Meh, at least there's no ingame content or anything that you're missing out on by not buying it. It's a really poor CE, I'm very happy to just ignore it.

You make a great point. Ingame content in CEs is the pits, and it is nice that we don't have to worry about that with Skyrim.

I was all set to buy the CE until they said it was the dragon statue. I would still buy the art book if it was sold on its own. Maybe I'll find it on the secondary market.

#14 Posted by bioblood22 (442 posts) -

I bought the CE basically spending 150 for the game and art book, the rest I could do without. I do think they could have done another pocket book but they have released a few books that kinda fill things in. So maybe that's the reason there's no pocket guide for Skyrim. They could have at least made the Alduin statue a game holder or some kinda cup holder >.>

#15 Posted by Stahlbrand (889 posts) -

@bioblood22: Yeah, that was the other disappointment, I had forgotten: no PGE!

I strongly regret my Oblivion basic purchase, if I had known A) how much I was going to play it and B) how sweet the Pocket Guide to the Empire was, I would have picked up that SKU.

#16 Posted by bioblood22 (442 posts) -

@Stahlbrand said:

@bioblood22: Yeah, that was the other disappointment, I had forgotten: no PGE!

I strongly regret my Oblivion basic purchase, if I had known A) how much I was going to play it and B) how sweet the Pocket Guide to the Empire was, I would have picked up that SKU.

Yea I bought the Oblivion CE and the PG was/is still awesome to flip through even today. Yea my biggest disappointment with the CE for Skyrim wasn't the Alduin statue but the lack of another pocket guide.

#17 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

Being a hardcore fan doesn't necessarily mean being a moron and spending $150 on their game.

#18 Posted by alexl86 (709 posts) -

@IrishBrewed said:

Oh I know its been done before, but why not call out Bethesda for joining the folds of screwing hardcore fans too? The fact that this is still going on and gamestop still insist that if you dont pre order they wont have still makes me chuckle.

Join the fold? You do realize that Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 had similar Collector's Editions, right? As far as the individual contents go, the Dragon statuette would probably retail higher than $20. It looks pretty detailed. Overall, it's a better package than most CE I've seen and the price is reasonable for what's in it, but I'm still not getting it.

#19 Posted by BonOrbitz (2405 posts) -

Will there be anyway of getting the items piecemeal? I'm interested in the Making of DVD and the book.

#20 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5098 posts) -

I would have paid $80 for the collectors edition if it had everything except that lame-ass statue.

#21 Posted by Cloudenvy (5874 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

I would have paid $80 for the collectors edition if it had everything except that lame-ass statue.

I'm in this boat!

#22 Posted by Nickolas_Moore (30 posts) -

I would spend 40 on the art book alone, but then again I love art...

#23 Posted by Butano (1864 posts) -

Which is generally why I purchase collectors editions a few months out. Got the Halo Reach Legendary edition about 6 months after it came out for like 50 bucks.

#24 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12896 posts) -

@Butano said:

Which is generally why I purchase collectors editions a few months out. Got the Halo Reach Legendary edition about 6 months after it came out for like 50 bucks.

There is STILL totally a legendary "cat helmet" edition Halo 3 at my local "used media" type store. It's still like $100, but you get a $20 gift card if you buy it. Oh, believe me. I've thought about it. But considering I can get pretty much any game more than 2 years old for $12-20 there, I don't see the point in doing so. Of course, I'm also surprised that no one else has bought it, but considering the clientele of that particular establishment is very much.... well... white trash-y, I can see why.

But I digress. I would've totally put down money for the CE if it was $80 and didn't come with that stupid/awesome, yet horrifically overpriced statue. That's how much I paid for the Fallout 3 CE, back when I was dumb enough to buy CEs, and I used that Lunchbox on and off again for 3 years.

#25 Posted by Vexxan (4625 posts) -

Kinda surprised the soundtrack isn't included. That's the first thing I think of when I hear "collector's edition".

#26 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (928 posts) -

Things aren't priced based on how much it costs to be made, they're priced based on supply and demand. A more "limited" amount means it can be given that price tag. If $150 is too high for you then that's fine, that just means this wasn't made for you. However somewhere out there in 5 months one of these will be sitting on shelves for like 80 bucks... just buy it then

#27 Posted by Moonshadow101 (628 posts) -

Economically speaking, the point of the collector's edition is the target people who are willing to pay more than 60$ for the game. Actually putting bonus stuff in there is just a formality.

That said, I think the three-way model is really the way to go. $60 for the base game, $70-80 for the game plus some extra stuff, and >$100 for the crazy version for crazy people. Cat helmets and such.

#28 Posted by Patman99 (1642 posts) -

The art book seems pretty legit. It is a padded hardcover coffee table book. I can't see that going for less then $30. But anyways, I get that $150 is a lot to pay but if you value it at $110 and really like the game, then I say why not pay $40 more dollars. You will probably get more playtime out of Skyrim then you would most other games.

#29 Posted by IrishBrewed (157 posts) -

Enjoyed reading everyone's opinion on this subject. I personally see it as greedy and not a fan service at all. Disposable income! Majority of the game industry's customers do not have disposable income, we are mainly middle class. And in this economy disposable income just doesn't exist. I also think if more people spoke out against this practice that the developers might just listen but we got to at least discuss it. I mean what's next horse armor dlc, oh wait...:)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.