Comparison shots of the Orc and Khajiit races plus more screens

• 100 results
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (3031 posts) -
#2 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

What an impressive improvement, I gotta say.

#3 Posted by Brendan (7980 posts) -

O man do I remember those Oblivion models.  It didn't help that Bethesda was making this game years before the current gen consoles came out, so several parts of that game looked dated as hell.  

#4 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -

Wow that looks pretty good.

#5 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -
yes
#6 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

What system are these on? Cause I recall that they said all in game footage from the trailer was 360. Cause it has still shots from the trailer but at top it says PC. 

#7 Posted by Druminator (1682 posts) -

Very much improved!

#8 Posted by Lucien_Lachance (215 posts) -

FUCK, I don't remember Oblivion looking THAT bad. That game came out a long time ago, didn't it?

#9 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4846 posts) -

Good Lord!

#10 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

This gives me hope for wood elves! Maybe they can finally be the carnivores they are in the lore!!

#11 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

man i didnt realize just how much better skyrim looked. awesome. i still dont have 500+ hours to dedicate to it (dammit), but awesome nontheless

#12 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Well yeah. Oblivion is like 5 years old and I imagine the budget for it was significantly smaller.

#13 Edited by Aishan (1022 posts) -

That Khajiit looks really good. I hope they get the Argonians looking suitably reptilian/scaly too.

Edit: also looks like jeuxvideo broke an embargo or something, those new pics aren't in the viewer, but you can find them by changing the url (_26.htm through _33.htm)
#14 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

I would rather them keep oblivion style graphics and just include all the features they took out from Arena and Daggerfall. I've always been a fan of going from GTA3 to GTA:San Andreas as opposed to the typical graphics are superior, but we took out a majority of the features in the process.

#15 Posted by Tebbit (4480 posts) -

Khajiit with human hair always look stupid. I appreciate the changes they're making!

#16 Posted by Stahlbrand (839 posts) -
@Aishan: That embargo was for 10:00 EST, which just passed.  You can find the same screens on joystiq and destructoid among other places.

The new character models look great.  And the environment shot that is part of the new screens with the dead tree and ruined for looks exactly like the way I want Skyrim to look.
#17 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

Yeah! But if they can wear boots, I'm not buying :P

#18 Posted by Aishan (1022 posts) -
@FreakAche: That's racist!

Cat people are people too!
#19 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

I might actually choose a non human race this time around

#20 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

Still going to be a Nord
It looks like they are both on different gen systems

#21 Posted by Aishan (1022 posts) -
IGN has a new preview up.

Some new info in there, I like the sound of the new overworld map. Not too sure how I feel about them removing all the attributes, will have to see how that actually plays out myself.
#22 Posted by Brake (1117 posts) -

Is it bad that I'm most hyped about those nature pics? They just look so damn good! Can I just be a herbalist or something?

#23 Posted by Marz (5666 posts) -

nice, maybe khajitt won't be the laughing stock of elder scroll races anymore!  and orcs look a bit more like Warcraft CG characters lol.

#24 Posted by onarum (2224 posts) -

that looks great, I just hope the actual game isn't dumbed down even more than oblivion.

#25 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -
@ChineseTea said:
" Is it bad that I'm most hyped about those nature pics? They just look so damn good! Can I just be a herbalist or something? "
I fucking wish, would love to play a non-combatant. 

Bummed they've removed atheletics and acrobatics ... agree that no-one wants to -not- be agile etc. but the main fun is getting better at it gradually. That's the only change I really care about though and it's no big deal. Can't really get on board with people fussing over levelling and stat systems too much. If there's a big beautiful & diverse world to explore I am happy. 
#26 Posted by Johnny5 (1355 posts) -

Wow I LOVE how the environment looks, and how DISTINCT the characters look. Look at that ranger!

God damn AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#27 Posted by XenoNick (1457 posts) -

Hoooooly craaaaap! That's amazing!

#28 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

All I got to say is, Thank you Bethesda. 

#29 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Thank the Nine!

#30 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -

Thank god they got rid of that disgusting green hue for the orcs. Diggin' the green-grey tone.

#31 Posted by TheBlackPigeon (317 posts) -

Their bodies are obviously ready...

#32 Posted by Kevino13 (126 posts) -

Holy crap, the Kilrathi are attacking Skyrim!

#33 Posted by CaptainObvious (2999 posts) -

Yo these skeletons have beards. How fucking cool is that? 
#34 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

And thank you too, Metal_Mills.

#35 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -
@CaptainObvious: And bright ass blue eyes...that's kinda creepy...
#36 Posted by jlev880 (204 posts) -

Yep, probably going to play this game as Khajiit too.

#37 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

For some reason now I can't wait to see how the High Elves look in this, maybe because I play as them second only to playing as a Nord. 

#38 Posted by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

Looks like I'm gonna be playing as a cat man.

#39 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" Still going to be a NordIt looks like they are both on different gen systems "
Those shots aren't from the 360.
#40 Posted by Bollard (5742 posts) -
@Lucien_Lachance said:
" FUCK, I don't remember Oblivion looking THAT bad. That game came out a long time ago, didn't it? "
Exactly what I was thinking!

Also, hell yes mah favourite race ;) Khajiit all the way!
#41 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

Funny, because at the time Oblivion was considered a great looking game. But yeah, five years on it looks like dog shit. Graphics have come a long way since then, even with the hardware remaining static. Impressive.

#42 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -
@CaptainObvious: Those skeletons have flesh and muscles too...
#43 Posted by Soapy86 (2638 posts) -

Well, my decision to play as an Orc in this game has been validated. 

#44 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Thats ace, can't wait to see the Argonians
#45 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -
@Hizang: Crap forgot about them, I bet they look sweeeeeet
#46 Posted by Beb (259 posts) -

That orc looks pretty awesome.

Hype levels, rising.

#47 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Impressive

#48 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

"Compared to Oblivion, Skyrim is a vast improvement on Xbox 360, which is the only version that's been shown off so far by Bethesda. "

It's pretty crazy that those screens came from an Xbox360. Also the reason those screens from Oblivion look like shit is because they're from the 360 version.    
#49 Posted by crusader8463 (14426 posts) -

Wow... I remember the faces in Oblivion being terrible, but holy fuck I did not remember them being that bad! I'm liking the Orc, but since I always play a lady character I doubt I will be one. And I'm not really into the whole furry thing, so no cat people ether. At least not on the first run through.

#50 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

I'm still trying to not be excited for Skryim, because I don't want to have over-inflated hopes.  But those screenies look great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.