Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Confirmed: You can be too weak for an area; Killing people = lulz

• 60 results
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Storms

Girl from G4 gets demo time, immediately tries to break the game for our curiousity. 

That chicken stood absolutely no chance. I then saw a little boy in the town and took my axe to him as well. The dev told me that you aren't allowed to kill children in Skyrim, but that they would alert the townspeople that I'm a maniac, which is exactly what he did. I ran around the town killing dogs and cows before the townspeople finally came after me with pitchforks and axes of their own. But let's be serious, they're no match for a Dragonborn.

With my fire spells in my left hand and my trusty axe in my right I made quick work of the two townsfolk who tried to teach me a lesson. It's what happened next that basically had me in stitches. After killing the townspeople, I looted their bodies, and when you loot people in Skyrim, you actually take all of their belongings, clothes included. I took everything from these two, including all of their clothes, trinkets, and weapons, and then noticed that I had killed them by the same stream I had been wading my way through earlier. The developer told me that if I wanted to drag them in to the water I could, so you can guess what happened next.

During the demo, I was still only a level one character, and the temple I was in was a bit too high level for me so I was dying constantly. There are checkpoints for when you die, but not after every turn so I found myself having to go back through the same parts of the temple a few times before finally getting to new checkpoints. The developer assured me this was because I was too low level for this area, not because there were other, more strategic ways to get through. He was probably just being nice.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Disabling invulnerability for children is the first mod I will download. I'm [probably] not going to go on a child killing spree; I just want to be able to dispatch witnesses if I need to and invulnerable witnesses are bullshit.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By bioblood22

Who the fuck wants to kill kids!? Jesus, that'd be a fucked up MOD, I doubt kids will be able to report you, and if they do it's your dumb ass fault for killing someone and getting caught.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JP_Russell
    @bioblood22 said:
    Who the fuck wants to kill kids!? Jesus, that'd be a fucked up MOD, I doubt kids will be able to report you, and if they do it's your dumb ass fault for killing someone and getting caught.
    Mercilessly killing a simulated child in a game really isn't any worse, psychologically speaking, than mercilessly killing a simulated adult in one.  It just takes (A) a greater commitment to what kind of person you want your character to be, or (B) little to no care whatsoever about who you kill in video games.

Also, I personally have no doubt children will be treated no differently from adults in terms of how the AI reacts when you commit offenses against them, same as in Fallout 3 (which, it's worth noting, has mods that make children killable).
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

The comments already trump the OP. Extra points lost for using *cringe* the word "lulz"

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bioblood22
    @JP_Russell:  

I know, I was just being over the top. It's just a game, not like they're gonna have an in game MOD where you can take the kid by the feet and bash him against the body of his dead mother until he's dead...or will they?
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By tebbit

I always feel a little affronted that you can't kill kids in games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Not because I want to, but because I should be able to. It frustrates me when game developers let the potential of a Fox News report affect the immersion of their game.

If kids can die in movies, they should be able to die in games, and I think people need to get over that fact.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bioblood22

All I know is, mudcrabs better be in Skyrim, nothing like being hit 20 times and not being able to see what's hitting you only to find out you're getting owned by a mudcrab in dark grass.

indus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By indus

Allowing child killing in your game bumps your ESRB rating from 'Mature' to 'WE DUN LIKE YER KIND 'ROUND HERR'

LevelRouter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LevelRouter

Killing kids in games is kinda weird subject. The whole idea can be morally disgusting, but at the same time it will break the immersion if you're not able to. Imagine the scenarion where you suddenly decide to make the game a wasteland by slaying every npc avaivable, and despite your greatest efferts you'll still have a bunch of cheery kids running around. It's weird.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Capum15
    @Origina1Penguin said:

Disabling invulnerability for children is the first mod I will download. I'm [probably] not going to go on a child killing spree; I just want to be able to dispatch witnesses if I need to and invulnerable witnesses are bullshit.

You know, "Kill until no-one knows." is always a great strategy in these games.

I mean, you'll come to a point where you've accumulated enough dead bodies that there's just no more people left to be mad at you.

As for the mod, there will probably be one since there's one for Fallout 3. Not sure about New Vegas though.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JP_Russell
    @bioblood22 said:
    All I know is, mudcrabs better be in Skyrim, nothing like being hit 20 times and not being able to see what's hitting you only to find out you're getting owned by a mudcrab in dark grass.
    Pretty sure I read something about mudcrab claws being used in alchemy somewhere recently.  The context is totally slipping my mind at the moment, though.
    Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Druminator

I could care less about killing kids. The fact that townspeople will come at you with pitchforks is good enough for me :D

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TotalEklypse

Yay, if it moves it dies! 

Angry townsfolk with pitchforks? Come at me!

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15  Edited By zyn
    @Origina1Penguin: Letting the people know who's boss, right?
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Storms

If you install a child-killing mod, Hilary Clinton will show up at your house and steal your pets.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SSully

@MrKlorox said:

The comments already trump the OP. Extra points lost for using *cringe* the word "lulz"

I lost all excitement about the OP's first statement in the topic when I saw lulz.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @JP_Russell said:
    @bioblood22 said:
    Mercilessly killing a simulated child in a game really isn't any worse, psychologically speaking, than mercilessly killing a simulated adult in one.  It just takes (A) a greater commitment to what kind of person you want your character to be, or (B) little to no care whatsoever about who you kill in video games.  Also, I personally have no doubt children will be treated no differently from adults in terms of how the AI reacts when you commit offenses against them, same as in Fallout 3 (which, it's worth noting, has mods that make children killable).
    Yeah? Well try explaining that to mass media.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Adamsons
    @indus said:

Allowing child killing in your game bumps your ESRB rating from 'Mature' to 'WE DUN LIKE YER KIND 'ROUND HERR'

Oh man, water everywhere.
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Storms
    @SSully@MrKlorox:  

Oh noez; mah extra points.
    Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Moonshadow101

To the original point...

I still have doubts, of course, but I'm very hopeful about the idea that the world actually has progression. This bodes well.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@bioblood22: Jeez, calm down. Kids are no more or less people than adults. The only difference you can really make is between a helpless indicidual and an individual who can protect his or herself. But when your talking about blasting fire at people, chances are, no matter what innocent you go up against, they will be pretty helpless. I've always hated that idea that killing children is a million times worse than any other person. Shouldn't it just stop at "yo don't kill humans unless you absolutely have to to protect yourself or others"? I don't think it should be in the game by default, because then the game would be ripped apart, but a Mod can't be put on bethesda, so I don't see the problem. Personally, I'd have such a mod for the same rason I want there to be no invulnerable quest folk, I want to have to be careful not to kill people, including children if I desire, or kill them, if I feel the need or desire. I doubt I ever will, but it's A) just a game and B) mostly for immersion, not acting out child murdering fantasies.

@Adamsons said:

@indus said:

Oh man, water everywhere.

^.^

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MeierTheRed

@MrKlorox said:

I lost all excitement about the OP's first statement in the topic when I saw lulz.

Thank fucking god, another one that thought the same. I have been sitting here 10 minutes writing a reply about that word. Typing deleting, typing deleting in the hopes i could get over it. But i just can't let it slide. 

Who ever came up with all these shitty words, needs to die.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Claude

That's cool, but can I chop down a tree?

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DaemonBlack

I'm glad civilians will be no match for the character even at a low level.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Storms
    @Claude: That does appear to be a strong possibility. Then again, I thought that about making fat characters a couple of days ago. Dang ambiguous quotes.
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Nubster

I hate when kids can't die, especially in Bethesda games. They just don't understand that, if you write a character to be a massive cunthole (Princess, anyone?), you're gonna want to murder that asshole. Either let us kill everyone, or don't give us a reason to want to kill the youngins.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

Wait a minute, are there even kids in the game?  There weren't any in Oblivion.  I know there were in Fallout 3, so I'm just wondering which way Bethesda will go in Skyrim.  

Anyway, I read a pretty interesting demo experience over on Joystiq.  There's a fun tale about the writer running into a camp of giants accidentally and getting whomped with one blow from their attack.  He was definitely too low for the zone.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Impossibilium
    @Tebbit said:

I always feel a little affronted that you can't kill kids in games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

You could kill kids in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2.

Nothing like going batshit crazy when a town turns against you and then murdering every man, woman, child and dog with a minigun. That's role-playing a cold-blooded killer.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By ProfessorEss

The ability to wander into a zone or situation you shouldn't be wandering into is way up there on my list of "Things All RPGs Should Have". 

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tebbit

@Impossibilium said:

@Tebbit said:

I always feel a little affronted that you can't kill kids in games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

You could kill kids in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. Nothing like going batshit crazy when a town turns against you and then murdering every man, woman, child and dog with a minigun. That's role-playing a cold-blooded killer.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I narrow my answer to: all Bethesda games.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, so you can't loot dead guys without taking everything they have on them? Does this mean encumbrance will be gone?

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Storms
    @PenguinDust: Yep, kids confirmed awhile ago. Also, in the very article this post links to.
    thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thornie_delete

@TheSeductiveMoosesaid:

Wait, so you can't loot dead guys without taking everything they have on them? Does this mean encumbrance will be gone?

This needs to be answered. Not being able to choose what I want to loot from a body is GAME KILLING. It puts more emphasis on the worst part of any game, inventory management. If this is true, then I have to go into my inventory and drop items manually every time I loot. There is no way this can be true, Todd Howard isn't a masochist (as far as I know).

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gike987
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    Even if the encumbrance is gone I don't want loot I have no use of cluttering up my inventory every time I loot someone.
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gike987 said:
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    Even if the encumbrance is gone I don't want loot I have no use of cluttering up my inventory every time I loot someone.
    That's a deal breaker for me though. I love sprucing my house up with random kitchenware I've found when exploring.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

weird thread

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By Levio

What if a kid starts stabbing you? Do kids just not stab you in this game?

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Storms
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    @gike987 said:
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    That's a deal breaker for me though. I love sprucing my house up with random kitchenware I've found when exploring.
    Encumbrance is confirmed -- referred to as a "Commandment" of TES.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iDarktread

"After killing the townspeople, I looted their bodies... " 

Sold

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gike987
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    @gike987 said:
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    I never meant they should remove the useless items. I meant that auto-looting is bad because I don't want to have to go through my inventory and drop stuff I don't want every time I loot someone.
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gike987 said:
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    @gike987 said:
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    I never meant they should remove the useless items. I meant that auto-looting is bad because I don't want to have to go through my inventory and drop stuff I don't want every time I loot someone.
    Ah, okay. Just misunderstood ya there.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Tebbit said:

I always feel a little affronted that you can't kill kids in games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Not because I want to, but because I should be able to. It frustrates me when game developers let the potential of a Fox News report affect the immersion of their game.

If kids can die in movies, they should be able to die in games, and I think people need to get over that fact.

This.
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Storms
    @gike987 said:
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    @gike987 said:
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    Absolutely agreed. I hope that was a mistake. Or that I can press 'O' or something to look at what I've recently looted and drop it all (that would actually be less meticulous and time-consuming than judging the contents of each corpse separately). 
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By eroticfishcake

Didn't they say that they were going for a Fallout 3 approach where you visited an area and the enemies/loot were scaled to your current level and they'll stay that way throughout the game?

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Storms
    @eroticfishcake said:
    Didn't they say that they were going for a Fallout 3 approach where you visited an area and the enemies/loot were scaled to your current level and they'll stay that way throughout the game?
    Correct. But remember that in Fallout 3, you can wander over to the far west of the map at level 1 and be fed to a Deathclaw's babby by his mother. So the level-scaling in Skyrim is absolutely minimal. Each dungeon has mostly static enemies (you're not going to find bunnies at lvl 1 and all dragons at lvl 30) -- to the extent that those do change, which will be very little, they will "lock in" for the rest of the game. Meaning, you can get pwned, run away to lick your wounds, then come back after leveling up and be the pwn3r.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Storms said:
    @eroticfishcake said:
    Correct. But remember that in Fallout 3, you can wander over to the far west of the map at level 1 and be fed to a Deathclaw's babby by his mother. So the level-scaling in Skyrim is absolutely minimal. Each dungeon has mostly static enemies (you're not going to find bunnies at lvl 1 and all dragons at lvl 30) -- to the extent that those do change, which will be very little, they will "lock in" for the rest of the game. Meaning, you can get pwned, run away to lick your wounds, then come back after leveling up and be the pwn3r.
    If what you're saying is really true (not that I don't believe you) then that sounds pretty damn good. It may be janky, know Bethesda but at least it sounds like it works better then Oblivion's method of handling it. But yeah, I can't wait for it to come out. Cheers.
    bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bioblood22
    @MordeaniisChaos:  

So you need to be able to kill kids or see dead kids to help you become " immersed" in a video game? I think that says a lot.
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Storms
    @bioblood22: I see where Mord is coming from. Less realism is less immersion and invincible children are not realistic. But I don't expect Bethesda to include it in their vanilla game and I actually hope that litigious pressure is not the only  reason for that decision -- but rather a result of the image they want to project as a company, the reputation they want to have (as not being the guys who make the child-killing game).
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Storms said:

@bioblood22: I see where Mord is coming from. Less realism is less immersion and invincible children are not realistic. But I don't expect Bethesda to include it in their vanilla game and I actually hope that litigious pressure is not the only reason for that decision -- but rather a result of the image they want to project as a company, the reputation they want to have (as not being the guys who make the child-killing game).

It's a game set in fantasy world with fantasy races and infinite fucking dragons. Realism isn't the soup du jour.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.