Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Contemplating getting Skyrim for Xbox rather then PC

• 130 results
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

I’ve been a diehard pc gamer for so many years, but burn after burn of console port I guess I’m just tired. I’ve been thinking of getting Skyrim for the Xbox 360 instead of my pc as I slowly pull away further from my pc. The big loss of course isn’t controls or graphics, but mods. Although I have to say I’ve played oblivion for about 150+ hours on pc. I never actually finished it, in big part due to mods, and the openness of the world. This time around I’d like to actually finish the story line, and I feel that it’s bountifully more probable on the Xbox 360.

I haven’t decided for sure yet, and I was thinking of picking up Oblivion for the Xbox to see how that played out. If the controls are as intuitive for Skyrim on consoles as brad said I don’t see to many obstacles. Also I have this scary feeling of console port for the pc version.

Any of you guys thinking of getting it on a platform other than the pc? Or have I just committed elder scrolls blasphemy?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jimbo

Don't worry, we all make bad decisions from time to time.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BonOrbitz

I'm sticking with the PC because it's 6 years old so it's time to upgrade anyways. I would certainly miss the mods myself, but it's sounding like it's turning out to be great on the console. It's really up to you... If you have a rig that can run it, then why not? If it is a port from the console, I'm sure Bethesda wouldn't botch it for their loyal PC supporters.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By A Likely Story

If you have a computer that can run the game well, you would be absolutely crazy to get it for the 360.

Play it through without mods (even multiple times if ya like), and then delve into them. Is that so hard?
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By yoshimitz707

I'm getting it for 360 first and then picking up the PC version a year later when there a re tons of mods to try.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

I wonder how much of the ridiculous Bethesda mod scene has been contingent on using the same engine for the last 8 years.

ToxikPandaKoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ToxikPandaKoi

Xbox FTW!

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vaile
    @yoshimitz707 said:
    I'm getting it for 360 first and then picking up the PC version a year later when there a re tons of mods to try.
    This sounds like a safe bet.

I prefer the 360 controls, so that's what I'm picking it up for.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Funkydupe

360 controller on the pc isn't possible then? 

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hzaife

Ill be getting it for PS3, i cant sit in front of a PC for these long ass RPGs anymore. I need to sit on my couch relaxing in front of the big screen with the surround sound.

Ill get it for PC just to "have" the superior version way down the track

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StrikeALight

Makes no sense not to get if for the PC, if you can run it.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Bwast
    @ryanwho said:
    I wonder how much of the ridiculous Bethesda mod scene has been contingent on using the same engine for the last 8 years.
    People aren't going to let a new engine stand in their way of creating juvenile sex slaves. 
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OdinsThunder

PC for me. I've decided never to support consoles again.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard

If its anything for you to consider, I've played Oblivion for just as long as you solely on Xbox (ie, no mods). I've never touched the thing on the PC, but if mods are the reason you kept play it then maybe just buy a wired 360 controller and play it on PC?

For me I'm coming for the continuation of the Oblivion story arc. I'm getting it on PC for the better graphics more than anything else. I might try the mods but I'm still yet to get into that scene.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kyle

I have no problem with the notion of playing an Elder Scrolls game on consoles, but what confuses me is the fact that you seem to have no discernible reason for wanting to do so. In fact, it seems like you're limiting yourself on purpose?

Dude, newsflash: Everyone played Oblivion for a hundred hours without finishing the main quest. Because the main quest was DOG SHIT.

Also, you can just plug a 360 controller into your PC and play it that way. Or buy a wireless 360 controller adapter for PC, they're great.

Delusibeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Delusibeta

Yeah, if the reason for buying the console versions was "because the mods distracted me", then it sounds like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Why would you not let yourself play the superior version of the game that includes hundreds of more hours of game time thanks to mods? RPGs are meant for PC, dont shell out your money on a console version of Skyrim.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kyle
    @Bwast said:
    @ryanwho said:
    People aren't going to let a new engine stand in their way of creating juvenile sex slaves. 
    Amen.
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jimi

The PC version is going to be superior, there is no point getting the xbox version if your pc can run it.

If you did go for the xbox one chances are you would buy the game twice for mod support once you have completed the game. On the issue of mods distracting you, here is a tip;
    Don't get any mods until you have beaten the game.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SlasherMan

If you have a PC that can handle it, buying it on console seems unwise.
    Like the guy above me said, always play the game and finish it in its vanilla form, and only then then start experimenting with mods. It's what I usually do anyway.

@Vaile said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

This sounds like a safe bet. I prefer the 360 controls, so that's what I'm picking it up for.
     Are controls really an excuse anymore when you can use your 360 controller on PC?

But hey, it's about what you find yourself enjoying more at the end of the day. If you think getting the 360 version will guarantee that for you moreso than the PC version, then by all means go ahead and get it for that.
    GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GrandHarrier

For a lot of people, getting a console version is a near  guarantee that it will work. And there aren't usually enough truly game changing mods for that to be an issue; most of them end up being little more than cheats of some kind or another, whether it be character stat / performance mods or overpowered items / spells of some sort.

I realize this is just me, but the last time that I cared about mods, was back in UT2K4. So I'm a little biased.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arker101
    @No0b0rAmA said:
    Why would you not let yourself play the superior version of the game that includes hundreds of more hours of game time thanks to mods? RPGs are meant for PC, dont shell out your money on a console version of Skyrim.
    Seriously, I don't have a powerful enough machine to run anything, but I still know that mods and console commands make those games 100X better. You should be getting it for PC
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Unless your computer is technically inferior, there's no reason to shy away from the PC version if it's your prefered platform. If you're afraid the user interface will be designed for gamepads (like Oblivion was), then buy a gamepad. Except for shooters and strategy games, I've been using a 360 controller for a lot of PC games that support it.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By beforet

I am going to play the PC version, but I don't necessarily think you'll miss out too badly with the console version. Fallout 3 was good enough to stand without mods; Skyrim should be similar if not better. Not like Oblivion which I can not play without at least a half-dozen mods to fix it's issues.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Zippedbinders

I don't see why you wouldn't get the PC version if you can run it. It would be cheaper, run better, and be patched far more easily. Then, you know, millions of mods.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Stahlbrand
    @Beaudacious said:

I just committed elder scrolls blasphemy

Shortened it for ya.
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By BaneFireLord

If I could, I would buy it on the PC, but my computer is kind of not a gaming computer. I'm buying it on Xbox day one and when I get a better PC I'll buy it on there too.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By animateria

But the mods, man, the mods!

Also someone mentioned the 360 controller on the PC, it totally works on Fallout NV, I'm sure it will on Skyrim.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DonPixel

@Beaudacious:  Don´t take this the wrong way dude, PC Guy here to.. but I think your being a little over dramatic, PC gaming has been influenced by console design sure: control scheme and UI mostly, just look at the Witcher 2, but anyway saying that everything is a port!? no no noup... even games like Hot pursuit, which is infact a direct port looks a plays way better in PC imo.

PC all the way till dead.

Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Creigz
    @Jimbo said:
    Don't worry, we all make bad decisions from time to time.
    This.

If you buy it on Xbox, you might very well regret it, especially if you've dumped so much time into mods and stuff. I bought Oblivion on my Xbox, and after seeing what it can do on PC, i regret it.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By FreakAche

Without the PC version, you won't have access to mods, and without access to mods, you won't be able to experience awesome stuff like this.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thornie_delete

Opens door.. loading screen... wait 4 hours... loading screen...  walk 5 feet... loading screen...  more than 2 enemies on screen.. 15 FPS...  loading screen...  sneeze... loading screen... 

Yeah, let's just say I learned my lesson playing any Bethesda IP on a console.  

FrakesFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FrakesFace
    @GrandHarrier said:

For a lot of people, getting a console version is a near  guarantee that it will work. 

This is untrue. I hear more reports of save corruption and other severe technical issues on the Xbox version of Oblivion than the PC version. Plus, access to utilities like the command console, along with community made patcheshas made the PC version of Oblivion incredibly stable, despite the number of game-changing mods you can cram into it. 
    Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Matfei90

Mod support for any Bethesda game is reason enough to take the PC version if that's an option for you.

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Taklulas
    @ToxikPandaKoi said:
    Xbox FTW!
    no. just no.
    Burr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Burr

I didn't necessarily hate Oblivion, but after the reception it got, it was one of the most disappointing gaming experiences of my life. If Skyrim isn't a real RPG, then god damnit Bethesda you better provide some gamepad support so I can chill on the couch and kill stuff. If not, make a real RPG with a real user-interface.

Though judging by the gameplay video, the interface looks just as bad if not worse this time around, so if there's no gamepad support then I'm not going to even try liking this... god knows I tried hard enough to like Oblivion. Anybody have any info on this game's gamepad support?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hunkulese

You're planning on buying an inferior version because you have no self control? If you want to focus on the story first don't look at mods until you've finished the game. While most ports aren't optimized for PC they're almost always better than the console versions.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bane

Noooooooooo!! /vader

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

If I could hook my computer up to my 46 inch HDTV and surround sound, I would get Skyrim on the PC. I'll probably end up buying it for the PC eventually, but I'm going with the 360 version first.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#40  Edited By wefwefasdf

If I had a gaming computer that could run Skyrim well I wouldn't even think of buying it for the 360.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By matthias2437

Yeah PC is going to be better, if you have the ability to play it on PC then play it on PC. You want to use a controller? Plug one if to your PC. I played oblivion on Xbox first and it was really good, controlled well and was still fun but when I got it on PC even without mods it was far better.

Also I always see a lot of people saying they cant sit at a computer and play long games anymore, am I the only person that has a set up that it I want to play a PC game with a controller on my couch I just plug in a controller and sit on my couch? Hah

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kashif1

I'm going ps3 but thats only because I can't run it, if you can run it then you have no excuse

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ravenlight

I'm looking forward to another hi-res gold piece mod, easily the best mod for Oblivion, so I'm sticking with the PC.

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Taklulas
    @Beaudacious said:
     I’ve been a diehard pc gamer for so many years, but burn after burn of console port I guess I’m just tired. I’ve been thinking of getting Skyrim for the Xbox 360 instead of my pc as I slowly pull away further from my pc. The big loss of course isn’t controls or graphics, but mods. Although I have to say I’ve played oblivion for about 150+ hours on pc. I never actually finished it, in big part due to mods, and the openness of the world. This time around I’d like to actually finish the story line, and I feel that it’s bountifully more probable on the Xbox 360.

I haven’t decided for sure yet, and I was thinking of picking up Oblivion for the Xbox to see how that played out. If the controls are as intuitive for Skyrim on consoles as brad said I don’t see to many obstacles. Also I have this scary feeling of console port for the pc version.

Any of you guys thinking of getting it on a platform other than the pc? Or have I just committed elder scrolls blasphemy?

lol
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Meowshi

Your reasoning seems awfully questionable. You don't want to be tempted by mods, so you're buying the console version? That's nonsense, friend.

I think there's another reason you're not admitting here.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hitchenson

If I had the power I would section you.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ryanwho said:

I wonder how much of the ridiculous Bethesda mod scene has been contingent on using the same engine for the last 8 years.

I wonder how much of the ridiculous Ryanwho commentary has been contingent on using the same Fox News coloured sensationalism lenses to view the world for the last umpteen years. All mod scenes are about using technology released in a fixed state and improving it beyond what the developers initially envisioned. Of course, all you see are the naked mods because that's all you look for, you desperate, sad little perv.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fjordson

This post is pretty old but:

@Beaudacious said:

90 percent of Bethesda's audience is on the consoles, so it's pretty much the opposite of blasphemy.

Though if one already has a PC capable of running the game then I don't think you pass on the superior performance.

FauxNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FauxNinja

I have a PC that can run Skyrim, but i'm gonna get it on the 360 first cos my computer desk is in a corner and I like to play games on my couch in front of my telly.. plus, it annoys my other half when she can't watch her shitty tv programs.. so win/win.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#50  Edited By ShadowMoses900

I say just get it for whatever platform you have the most fun playing on, like I'm getting Skyrim on PS3 simply because I enjoy the system more. But the PC version is going to be the "better" version to get if your into pixel counting (maxing out settings ect..) and if your into the mod community and all that. Although the 360 version IS getting timed-exclusive content, but I don't think anyone really cares about that and it will be available on all the platforms after a month or so anyway. 

Like I said though, just get it for whatever platform you enjoy playing the most, and for you I would say get the PC version as you stated that your a pretty big PC gamer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.