Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Contemplating getting Skyrim for Xbox rather then PC

• 130 results
    ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#101  Edited By ki11tank

Both bitches, I'll probably get both.

The world in this game is likely to be something I want to explore multiple times and ways, sometimes my PC is bogged with work and cannot offer up screen time to games.

I can play pc games on a 60" LED so the choice is actually kind of hard, if I didn't work from my PC the choice would be easy though.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#102  Edited By Stahlbrand

@Filch said:

The trade-off for me here is, do I want to spend LONG periods of sitting in front of a 24inch monitor, office chair, stereo sound, with superior graphics performance, and maybe I might try some mods (I don't usually replay games).

or...

Sit on comfy couch, 100" projection screen, full surround and loud, with somewhat reduced graphic fidelity, and potentially no driver headaches, etc.

I still can't decide.

You can't output your computer to your projector? Best of both worlds.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#103  Edited By project343

Go through the main adventure first. Then do sidequests. Then do mods. Simple as that. :P

Self-discipline. Restrict yourself.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By confusedowl

@SpicyRichter said:

@Ezakael said:

Get it on whatever platform you want. The PC elitism in this thread astounds me. I'm getting it on the Xbox because the PC version forces steam so I'd rather just play it on the console. You shouldn't listen to anyone but yourself because other people are just going to try to get you to play on whatever platform they prefer.

It astounds you? No lies have been told here... it WILL play and look better on the PC, I don't think anyone has said anything different than that. He asked for advise and everyone has told the truth. And since when is using Steam a bad thing?

I don't like being forced online to play a singleplayer game, and before you say you can play them offline. The games are also connected to an account. I can't have backups and I'm not allowed to let any of my family members play my games because I'll be banned which takes away all those games I bought which I rightfully should own because I paid money for them. Them not allowing me to do what I want with them concerns me greatly and that's why I don't like steam. And no I won't have a long debate about this. It's my opinion whether you agree with it or not. One last thing. Internet providers here in canada are greedy bastards so having to download games over the net and then being forced to use a third party client to play a game drains our bandwidth like crazy.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I want to facepalm so badly right now, but i broke my hand. And doing it with the left hand doesn't have the same effect...just like masturbating.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#106  Edited By Stahlbrand

@Ezakael: That was a joke right, because I LOLed.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107  Edited By doobie

@Filch said:

The trade-off for me here is, do I want to spend LONG periods of sitting in front of a 24inch monitor, office chair, stereo sound, with superior graphics performance, and maybe I might try some mods (I don't usually replay games).

or...

Sit on comfy couch, 100" projection screen, full surround and loud, with somewhat reduced graphic fidelity, and potentially no driver headaches, etc.

I still can't decide.

why not plug your PC into your projector. i have my gaming PC plugged into my 46" LCD and i sit on comfy sofa with full surround. its really not that hard. neither are drivers for that matter

Filch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By Filch

True, I could just move my PC into the living room, route all the wires, navigate the wire spaghetti mess behind the entertainment furniture, etc. But that's a bit of a pain in the ass to move my PC back and forth day to day. I wouldn't want to be sitting in front of the projection screen for my daily computing stuff.

that is an option though

As far as drivers, I just mean the quirks that come w/ PC gaming. We won't know until we get the game if there's any issues getting it running properly on certain systems. On the console, that's one thing I need not worry about.

I still can't decide. Although, the fact that Amazon is offering a $10 credit on console versions, and nothing for PC version, and all costing $59.99, I'm leaning towards 360 version.

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By hemmelight

I'll be buying it on the PS3 and then again on PC if I feel like it, once I decide to build a nice gaming rig.

I just hope us PS3 users don't get shafted because I've heard nothing about this version. :(

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By excido

I'm getting it on PC. I do work on PC though but I don't have hours to kill in front of the tv in the living room where i leave my ps3. Also I'm interested to see how well it runs on my G73 gaming laptop(I also have a gaming desktop also). It's funny because the more games I play on console the more i wish I had it on pc.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By BonOrbitz

No way. I built a new PC for this game because my 6 year old system won't run it. If your PC can run it, why not get it for that platform? The benefits for the PC outweigh the consoles'.

Filch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Filch

I've decided to go with a 360 version based on $10 credit from Amazon for console versions, plus the comfiness of my couch vesus my office chair. If I like the game enough, I'll get the PC version when it goes on sale on Steam. The screens for 360 look perfectly good for me to be content.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Filch: I use a 100-inch projector with surround sound as well. I'm not sure what your exact situation is, but I got 75-foot HDMI and optical cables recently (so I could play Battlefield 3 on the big screen) and it works great. It might be something to consider in the future so you don't have to move your computer. Just make sure you have a wireless mouse and keyboard with a long range so you don't have to get up to use anything. I also bought a wireless receiver for my 360 controller so I can use it to play certain PC games.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#114  Edited By warxsnake

Enjoy the shitty LODs and draw distances

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Sometimes it is just nice to lay on the couch and play on a good home theater system. So I will probably get it on Xbox first, then on PC when it goes on sale on steam.

Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116  Edited By Bolt

All it should really come down to, is what will make you happy. I will be getting it on PC, but I will not knock someone for getting it on 360. That's there choice.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By GJSmitty

Deffinatly sticking to PC. The fact that there will be tons of mods helps the decision.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#118  Edited By CJduke

@Jimbo said:

Don't worry, we all make bad decisions from time to time.

LOL. I'm getting it on pc and I'm pumped

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By confusedowl

@Stahlbrand said:

@Ezakael: That was a joke right, because I LOLed.

Glad that I could brighten your a day a little.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By david3cm

I will also be getting this for console since my computer would not be able to run it at a quality not much higher than console anyway. I was wondering if there has been any word on which version will run/look better, the PS3 or 360 version. I just got burned getting the PS3 version of Battlefield with word being the 360 version looks better, I dont want to get the shaft with this game as well.

EDIT: I do plan on buying this game for the PC once I have a setup that can handle it, hopefully there will be a GOTY edition out by then, or at least some cool mods.

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By SpicyRichter

@Ezakael said:

@SpicyRichter said:

@Ezakael said:

Get it on whatever platform you want. The PC elitism in this thread astounds me. I'm getting it on the Xbox because the PC version forces steam so I'd rather just play it on the console. You shouldn't listen to anyone but yourself because other people are just going to try to get you to play on whatever platform they prefer.

It astounds you? No lies have been told here... it WILL play and look better on the PC, I don't think anyone has said anything different than that. He asked for advise and everyone has told the truth. And since when is using Steam a bad thing?

I don't like being forced online to play a singleplayer game, and before you say you can play them offline. The games are also connected to an account. I can't have backups and I'm not allowed to let any of my family members play my games because I'll be banned which takes away all those games I bought which I rightfully should own because I paid money for them. Them not allowing me to do what I want with them concerns me greatly and that's why I don't like steam. And no I won't have a long debate about this. It's my opinion whether you agree with it or not. One last thing. Internet providers here in canada are greedy bastards so having to download games over the net and then being forced to use a third party client to play a game drains our bandwidth like crazy.

Ugh, I'm Canadian too, and there's no metered internet yet.

So, how is playing on steam different from Xbox exactly? You're still having to use a 3rd party client (an xbox 360) to play your game, the rules 'enforced' by steam are the same enforced by any other game publishers (don't copy the game), and unless you're pulling the LAN cable on your console every time you play single player, you're still technically 'online'. The only real downsides are the large download which just takes time (broadband in Canada is still unlimited, for now), and the fact you can't sell it when you're done.

Personally, not having to set foot in Future Shop or Gamestop is worth the tradeoff.

Anyway, other than your argument about Steam, why would you recommend playing it on an Xbox?

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By SpicyRichter

@Filch said:

True, I could just move my PC into the living room, route all the wires, navigate the wire spaghetti mess behind the entertainment furniture, etc. But that's a bit of a pain in the ass to move my PC back and forth day to day. I wouldn't want to be sitting in front of the projection screen for my daily computing stuff.

that is an option though

As far as drivers, I just mean the quirks that come w/ PC gaming. We won't know until we get the game if there's any issues getting it running properly on certain systems. On the console, that's one thing I need not worry about.

I still can't decide. Although, the fact that Amazon is offering a $10 credit on console versions, and nothing for PC version, and all costing $59.99, I'm leaning towards 360 version.

I know you've made your decision, but one thing I've done in the past (this really only works if you live in a small condo) is run a long hdmi cable from my PC in my office to the aux HDMI port in the side of my TV in my living room and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Don't get the extra resolution a nice monitor provides, but the nicer detail and fidelity is nice. Still get surround too due to the way my theatre is set up

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By FreakAche

I was originally planning on getting the PC version, but I think I'll end up going with Xbox simply because I suspect the Xbox version will look a lot nicer than the low-end graphics settings on the PC version, which is what I would be running. Also, achievements.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#124  Edited By Buscemi

@FreakAche said:

I was originally planning on getting the PC version, but I think I'll end up going with Xbox simply because I suspect the Xbox version will look a lot nicer than the low-end graphics settings on the PC version, which is what I would be running. Also, achievements.

THIS!!!! Yeah, that.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By confusedowl

@SpicyRichter said:

@Ezakael said:

@SpicyRichter said:

@Ezakael said:

Ugh, I'm Canadian too, and there's no metered internet yet.

So, how is playing on steam different from Xbox exactly? You're still having to use a 3rd party client (an xbox 360) to play your game, the rules 'enforced' by steam are the same enforced by any other game publishers (don't copy the game), and unless you're pulling the LAN cable on your console every time you play single player, you're still technically 'online'. The only real downsides are the large download which just takes time (broadband in Canada is still unlimited, for now), and the fact you can't sell it when you're done.

Personally, not having to set foot in Future Shop or Gamestop is worth the tradeoff.

Anyway, other than your argument about Steam, why would you recommend playing it on an Xbox?

Before I begin I'd just like to apologize if I came off as aggressive. I tend to do that sometimes.

For the first year I had my 360 I didn't connect it to the internet even once. So any games on it can be played completely offline without signing up. Which is the way I like it. I really feel iffy about having 100s of dollars worth of games connected to an account that could be terminated for any reason, just the thought concerns me. Perhaps I'm really paranoid and shouldn't even be worried about this. Steam has it's benefits no doubt, I DO use it because I can see that. I'd still much rather have complete control over the games I buy. That's why I love GOG.

The benefits of playing on the Xbox or any console I'd say is mostly preference. I really don't like all this chat about better looking graphics when gameplay is whats important. If I remember correctly they actually said that Skyrim's main platform was Xbox so I think it makes since to play on it if you have one unless you love mods (I never got any to work personally and really don't use them all that much when I can get them to work.)

One thing I'd say actually is a bonus over PC is the lack of crashing and random errors. PC games always crash at least once in a while. Not to mention trying to get some games to work in general is a hassle. With open world games like this they can be a hard to start up. I remember trying to get New Vegas to work on my computer was pretty annoying when it was first released.

Regardless of what anyone ultimately plays the game on. I'm sure we'll all have a blast.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#126  Edited By Floppypants
    @Ezakael: Those are easily the most sensible reasons why someone would not want to buy the PC version of Skyrim.
    Filch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Filch

@SpicyRichter said:

@Filch said:

that is an option though

I know you've made your decision, but one thing I've done in the past (this really only works if you live in a small condo) is run a long hdmi cable from my PC in my office to the aux HDMI port in the side of my TV in my living room and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Don't get the extra resolution a nice monitor provides, but the nicer detail and fidelity is nice. Still get surround too due to the way my theatre is set up

You make good suggestions, but they are not an option for me. They're located on opposite sides of the house with the theater room being surrounded by cinder block. There's no way bluetooth would reach. Plus I had to run 125' of ethernet to reach, an HDMI cable of that length wouldn't be worth the cost.

Shoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Shoki

Infinite storage mod = PC purchase!

Who wants to sort inventory?

Nihilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Nihilius

@yoshimitz707: That's the idea I have gone for. I've bought it for Xbox 360 and will pick it up for PC in a Steam sale in the distant future.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Zelyre

The load times alone should be a good reason.

Watching the quick look, those load times took a while, but the 3d model you could inspect was pretty sweet. I was looking forward to messing around with that on the PC version.

However, loading it up on the PC, on a slower platter drive, the longest load times are 4-5 seconds, max. Most load times are instant. It loads much faster off a platter based drive than Fallout 3/New Vegas/Oblivion did off my Intel SSD or my Sandforce 3 SSD.

This morning, at 7am central time, texture replacers were already starting to show up from the mod community.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.