Dawnguard DLC: I think the new factions sound a little unbalanced

#1 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3559 posts) -

As a Vampire Lord:

You can hover and glide with wings that emerge from your flesh, you can slash at your enemies with razor sharp claws, you can turn into a swarm of bats and teleport out of danger, you can levitate enemies as you drain the life from them, you can summon gargoyles to fight your enemies, you can take the very souls of your enemies and turn them into a legion of undead minions.

As a member of the Dawnguard:

Um, I guess you could use this crossbow?

Wonderful! Finally I can use a bow in one hand, while using a shield, sword, or magic spell in the other hand! Thank goodness, I've been wanting this since the game was released!

Well, actually the crossbows are two-handed weapons.

What? We already have two-handed bows. Why would you do that?

Okay, but they do have their own perk tree, right? At least we'll be getting some fun new crossbow perks.

Actually, it just uses the existing archery tree.

What!?

Seriously, in terms of new features and gameplay elements, they can't possibly have allowed the two new factions to be THIS unbalanced, right? There have to be some other features that they're just not talking about right now, right? As a good character who is a level 100 archer, I feel like I have almost nothing to look forward to other than the story and setting.

#2 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

They aren't mini crossbows, they're pretty heavy and thus, they require 2 hands to wield. But it would have been cool. Still, dude...FUCKING CROSSBOWS! GET HYPE!

#3 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Yeah two handed crossbows does sound a little overpowered, I think they should probably tone them down a little.

#4 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

Hopefully they add some of that werewolf perks stuff they showed from their modding developer jam.

As long as my werewolf orc can fight a vampire lord I'm happy.

#5 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3559 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

They aren't mini crossbows, they're pretty heavy and thus, they require 2 hands to wield. But it would have been cool. Still, dude...FUCKING CROSSBOWS! GET HYPE!

I'd rather have mini crossbows, and be able to use both hands.

The big advantage of the new crossbow was said to be that they fire instantly, but take a little while to reload. At level 100 in archery, my standard bow already only takes a second to load an arrow, I can walk just as quickly while I have an arrow ready, and when I aim my bow I SLOW TIME ITSELF.

Unless the crossbow is FAR more powerful or has some sort of powerful physics knock-back when you hit enemies, I don't see any reason to be hyped, ESPECIALLY when you compare crossbows with being a damn vampire lord.

#6 Posted by Galiant (2179 posts) -

That does sound a little unfair, but I don't mind. I'll play for the vampires eventually, but for now my werewolf is ready - armed to the teeth with dual silver swords and a silver greatsword for good luck.

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9593 posts) -

Crossbows are inferior to regular ass bows because they take so long to spool up.

#8 Posted by Jimbo (9774 posts) -

Crossbows are just shitty bows for n00b bowmen anyway. Still no spears?

#9 Posted by shintsurugi (75 posts) -

Seems a bit premature to react like this. I'm sure the Dawnguard get some cool magical buffs or something. You don't fight vampires with just a crossbow.

If nothing else, I'll just join the Dawnguard to kick some vampire ass. Those dicks have had it coming for a while.

#10 Edited by AndrewB (7496 posts) -

Vampires have always been overpowered, with the main drawback being the social aspect of no one will talk to you and most will even try to kill you being the deterrent (also, that damned sun). At least in Oblivion you had the option to feed and keep your vampirism in check enough to negate the social/sun of doom issues at bay. I never messed with it too much in Skyrim, so I don't know how different it became.

@Jimbo said:

Crossbows are just shitty bows for n00b bowmen anyway. Still no spears?

I miss spears so bad. The only way I beat Morrowind back in the day was by cheesing the higher leveled enemies by standing on a big rock and using the length of my spear to pick them off from a distance. Maybe that wasn't a good thing, but I didn't really understand the leveling system at the time so my character was way underpowered.

#11 Edited by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -

Ok I saw the trailer and was kind of excited for more Skyrim, but now seeing the actual gemplaay and the super awkward vampire lord animations, i'm having second thoughts because besides that one part it's nothing that i haven't done in skyrim before including killing vampires. Maybe if there is universal praise for this or it has an actually interesting story i'll pick it up in a game drought.

#12 Edited by Zacagawea (1582 posts) -

I'd have to agree. Plus, couldn't you just loot a crossbow off a Dawnguard guy even if your not with them? Are they going to just not let you loot off them?

It's too late for them to change anything so all we can do is hope that there are secret spears for the Dawnguard guys or something that they aren't showing?

Edit: I just read that there is going to be a werewolf tree like the vampire one, so that kind of changes a lot.

#13 Posted by Prince_of_Space (82 posts) -

According to an interview Todd Howard gave on G4 the Dawnguard apparently can use armored trolls as followers. Don't ask me how you domesticate a three eyed gorilla and stick it into a suit of armor, but that should give some incentive to becoming a vampire hunter.

#14 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

That's good, being the good guys should feel a little scared. I don't want to go up against a pussy of a vamp, I wanna fight a bad ass scary mother fucker. And I'd like for my vamp character to finally benefit from not being able to do jack shit during the day.

I wish they'd make vamps only be effected by daylight when they were actually in the sun. I wanna take cover in the shade of a big tree and get my stamina back, not just always play at night. It'd be cool if it took less than like 4 days for everyone to get fucking pissy at you, especially with how fucked the sleep patterns are for the AI, making feeding a total bitch.

#15 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

Hopefully they add some of that werewolf perks stuff they showed from their modding developer jam.

As long as my werewolf orc can fight a vampire lord I'm happy.

the gamespot video on the E3 page had a bit where they showed off the new vampire tree and while he was flicking through there was a werewolf tree but they said nothing. but i cant find a link right now since the E3 page doesnt show it but im sure its over at gamespot if you wanted to do a quick pause and read it.

#16 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

That's good, being the good guys should feel a little scared. I don't want to go up against a pussy of a vamp, I wanna fight a bad ass scary mother fucker. And I'd like for my vamp character to finally benefit from not being able to do jack shit during the day.

I wish they'd make vamps only be effected by daylight when they were actually in the sun. I wanna take cover in the shade of a big tree and get my stamina back, not just always play at night. It'd be cool if it took less than like 4 days for everyone to get fucking pissy at you, especially with how fucked the sleep patterns are for the AI, making feeding a total bitch.

yeh, as someone who roleplays a thief in one of my playthroughs its super annoying to wait late into the night before breaking into someones house only too find them all awake like its the middle of the afternoon, then walking back outside and doing other things and trying every hour or so to see if they are finally alseep or at least out of the house. it ruins some of the immersion in the story i build for myself.

#17 Posted by NarcolepticBat (410 posts) -

Fuckin hell unbalanced, I don't know a single person in my group of friends who doesn't brag about their one hit kills past level 20. The GAME is unbalanced.

#18 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@buft: When I get my new rig soon, I'm going to go and search out (or maybe make) a mod that fixes all of that, because it is really annoying and breaks the immersion.

#19 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

Who is more badass? The nigh-unstoppable Vampire Lord? 

Or the mere mortal brave enough to hunt them down with a fucking crossbow.  

Yeah, they're unbalanced, alright. The Vampires will need more help. 

#20 Posted by JesseCherry (63 posts) -

It's funny that people talk about balance when it comes to Skyrim. It is easy to get overpowered. I kept starting new characters because I enjoyed the challenge of the early game, but even when you ignore smithing and enchanter, it's only a matter of time before you lay waste to the enemies.

#21 Posted by EpicSteve (6471 posts) -

I'm level 40 in Skyrim and have been unkillable for the bulk of the game. It's been unbalanced sense day 1 and now they're just making it fun.

#22 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (569 posts) -

I used to be excited about the Dawnguard but then I took a crossbow bolt to the.. STOP ME, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT UNLEASH THIS UPON THE WORLD AGAIN! AAAAARRRGGHHHH! -

Striken onlooker comments in a jaunty fashion: "He's dead, with one hand.. Noooooooo!"

And that's really what I've got to say about it. I'll probably try to tide over my excitement for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 by playing a vampire. (By the way, why IS that game not called "Castlevania 2: Lord of Shadow"?)

To be fair, mind; this sound very similair to the bloodmoon expansion for the third game: Morrowind, you could either side with the humans and get... A house. Or you could totally turn into a sweet-ass werewolf and feed upon your friends and foe alike, lost to a bloodlust that consumed your very soul, rendering you a predator first and foremost. All in all, sounds pretty bloody similair.

#23 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

It's been unbalanced ever since I opened up the console and changed everything to a million.

#24 Posted by cmblasko (1123 posts) -

I like the idea of the "good" guys being less powerful; makes the decision to travel down the moral path more difficult, which I support in these type of games.

#25 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

I'm level 40 in Skyrim and have been unkillable for the bulk of the game. It's been unbalanced sense day 1 and now they're just making it fun.

I gotta agree with this. I only died when I was goofing around and playing drunk... and this was before going insane with enchanting and blacksmithing. I think the new stuff is cool. I put in a ton of hours into Skyrim but it was mostly because I enjoyed leveling and that motivated me. The story is weak sauce, the sidequest are interesting the first 10 times then they get dull. I'm hoping Dawnguard gives some better story content and I'm glad there are new trees, although right now I'm so high in level that I'll hit the cap before being able to max out either.

#27 Posted by Phoenix778m (239 posts) -

Is there going to just be missions pertaining to the DLC or are there going to be other random missions added? 15 hours way more than the stormcloak campaign.

#28 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Can you just use your old character? I'll probably just stealth bow my way through the DLC and 1 shot everything.

#29 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

I still maintain the idea that Todd Howard sounds like Geddy Lee.

#30 Posted by Korwin (2829 posts) -

Lol, balance in an Elder Scrolls game. The sheer lop sided nature of the end game in Elder Scrolls is one of the most amusing things about it.

#31 Posted by AgnosticJesus (542 posts) -

I'll let you know, I got an email notifying me that I'm in the beta.

#32 Posted by HatKing (5821 posts) -

We get to kill vampires... I'm pretty stoked about that.

#33 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

@HatKing: Also you get to look like an awesome badass while doing it to :D

#34 Posted by Veektarius (4601 posts) -

I have no interest in being a vampire or a werewolf, even though my current char is a werewolf just so I don't have to mess with diseases. So unless the werewolf tree has a lot of perks for regular-ass human mode, I'm just playing this expansion for content.

#35 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

To the too easy crowd: Play on Master. I can still die in a few hits and I'm 70 something and nearly finished with the game.

About it being unbalanced, you don't even really know anything about the Dawnguard, right? They could end up being some secret group of werewolves or also vampires or incredible hulks.

#36 Posted by Mikemcn (6955 posts) -

I plan on Roleplaying a generic Dawnguard Soldier who is at a complete disadvantage against the Supernatural Forces he is sent to battle. I'll be like one of the Gondor Soldiers, trying to fight the Orc Hordes, who get's his head smashed into a wall within a minute of meeting the enemy.

#37 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

I was thinking maybe the dawnguard were werewolves using their werewolfy powers to fight the vampires kinda like the companions. Nothing in any interview or trailer says so but it just seemed strange to add a vampire and werewolf skill tree when the werewolves don't factor into the dlc. As to the unbalanced difficulty of the game it is easy but it is enjoyable and does provide a challenge sometimes in harder dungeons or quests. Either way I'll be playing vampire lord seems more fun than dawnguard and finally gives reasons to play a vampire in Skyrim and i someone who typically plays the moral path.

#38 Posted by Night_Rake (19 posts) -

Armored troll follower.
That's all I'm gonna say.

#39 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

I think there's a fair trade off on the vampire abilities considering that people will attack you on sight when you use them. But as other people in this thread have pointed out, game balance isn't really the point of Skyrim.

#40 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Still can't wait for the PC release in July.

#41 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Absolutely true, the Vampires are gonna need a lot more help if they want to compete. Way too underpowered, please balance Bethesda.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.