Decreasing resale value for crafted items

#1 Edited by ikabubu (213 posts) -

Hey guys, I just wanted to confirm if this is not only  happening to me. 

I've been smithing iron daggers, enchanting them with banish, and selling them. So that basically grinds my smithing, enchanting, and gets me a LOT of gold in the process. But I've been noticing that the value per Banish Dagger has been reducing on me almost like a half-life. The value of a non-grind-stoned iron dagger, with banish (my enchant is 86), and just a petty soul gem would still be around 1600 gold for me. The resale value would have been around 850 gold plus. BUT, for some reason just a little while ago, I come back to town and it's only selling for around 400 to 460. 

Keep in mind that I've sold a LOT of these daggers. So, does the resale value actually decrease if you keep selling the same thing? Or did they stealthily patch a new pricing rebalance without me noticing? I'm guessing that last question is probably more ridiculous. Who knows? I don't know anymore. Just checking if this is just me, or not.

#2 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I've never sold an enchanted iron dagger for that much. Most of my money came from selling glass weapons/ armor.

#3 Posted by jtman54179 (183 posts) -

I remember an RPG game where bulk items, even crafted, sold for less and less the more you had, can't remember if it was a Bethesda RPG or not though. If someone can confirm that experience, there's your answer i.e. it was probably in there the whole time. Something else you might want to check is how much the store has in stock of what you're trying to sell? It may change that way as well, meaning in stock items sell for less. Curious to see what's causing it. Trying to hold off on Skyrim till finals are over, so all the tips, guides, and warnings on the forum will help once I start.

#4 Posted by thellama042 (110 posts) -

I noticed it happening to me, too. It's a ridiculously slow process though. I was noticing that when I enchanted about 50 daggers at once, the value very slowly went down for each subsequent dagger.

#5 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

whoa... banish dremora gives that much returns? Never had a drop and never thought I'd would be worth it to buy it from a shop. Have been enchanting health absorb for good profits on my iron daggers. Guess I'll pick up banish from a vendor when next I see it. Dual enchants will make me some sick dough.

#6 Posted by VIGGO123 (553 posts) -

I remember Bethesda talking about an in-depth economy system a while before launch, then some rumors surfaced about the system being dropped due to balancing issues. A small part of it might have made it into the game however, since I've also experienced this. I think it has something to do with the amount of that specific item being available in the world, like the rarity of the item decreases the more you make.

#7 Edited by wubb (277 posts) -

The value of my daggers varies, but seems to stay consistent per vendor. Maybe it's because some vendors are friends and some aren't? For Absorb Health + Banish iron daggers w/ petty soul gems I get 1800 from some vendors and barely 1000 from others.

I'm 99% sure I have not seen any fluctuation in value, but I've been 100 on enchanting for a while now. Also I did not take last week's patch.

#8 Edited by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@wubb said:

The value of my daggers varies, but seems to stay consistent per vendor. Maybe it's because some vendors are friends and some aren't? For Absorb Health + Banish daggers I get 1800 from some vendors and barely 1000 from others.

Do you think that race plays a part? The racism in Skyrim isn't as blatant as it was in Oblivion, but maybe some vendors screw you over because of your race.

#9 Edited by wubb (277 posts) -

@Axxol said:

@wubb said:

The value of my daggers varies, but seems to stay consistent per vendor. Maybe it's because some vendors are friends and some aren't? For Absorb Health + Banish daggers I get 1800 from some vendors and barely 1000 from others.

Do you think that race plays a part. The racism in Skyrim isn't as blatant as it was in Oblivion, but maybe some vendors screw you over because of your race.

No idea, but I guess that could be it. I'm playing a high elf.

I'll try to pay more attention to the exact value I get for daggers from a specific vendor to see if it gradually lowers. At this point they pay me more than all of their gold for one dagger so it doesn't matter much. I usually buy all of their arrows and maybe some pricey ingots to make up the difference from weapons vendors, but the ingots just go in a chest in my house as I don't wear armor.

#10 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Yeah this also happened to me. Either it's a bug or it's meant to work like that. I sold banishment daggers everywhere, and soon enough it fell from around a 1000 septims to 800 to around 400. I still made a bundle though.

#11 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I just don't know the point in having piles of gold. I've got about 20,000 gold now and that's just from the normal stuff I get from questing. There's nothing to do with all of it. There's rarely anything actually worth buying from shops. I could buy houses, but you only need one.

#12 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@McGhee: Training. That shit gets expensive at high level. But even still, with only 5 trains per level, I'm sitting on like 170,000 gold, and I agree--there's nothing to do with it but feel awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.