Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

did you make a new playthrough with the anticipation of Skyrim?

LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By LosDub

So when Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was announced I got the sudden itch to play Oblivion again. I did buy the game when it released for PC but I had since misplaced it somewhere and have not been able to find it still to this day. I have since bought the Oblivion GOTY Edition for the 360 off Ebay. The 1st time I played Oblivion I honestly didnt know what I was doing, only did a few Main Quest and just screwed around GTA-Style.

This go around I am gonna see this game to the end. I have rolled a Nord Spellsword. Honestly I'll admit I dont know much about most classes but im liking it so far up to lvl 6. I am glad to hear they had made the leveling much better as I didnt like having to go to sleep to actually get a level.

in all I cant wait already got my request for vacation the week after Skyrim is released, so i can play me some Skyrim and hopefully some Forza Motorsport 4 as long as neither get Delayed for any which reason.

/cross my fingers

LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LosDub

So when Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was announced I got the sudden itch to play Oblivion again. I did buy the game when it released for PC but I had since misplaced it somewhere and have not been able to find it still to this day. I have since bought the Oblivion GOTY Edition for the 360 off Ebay. The 1st time I played Oblivion I honestly didnt know what I was doing, only did a few Main Quest and just screwed around GTA-Style.

This go around I am gonna see this game to the end. I have rolled a Nord Spellsword. Honestly I'll admit I dont know much about most classes but im liking it so far up to lvl 6. I am glad to hear they had made the leveling much better as I didnt like having to go to sleep to actually get a level.

in all I cant wait already got my request for vacation the week after Skyrim is released, so i can play me some Skyrim and hopefully some Forza Motorsport 4 as long as neither get Delayed for any which reason.

/cross my fingers

FrakesFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By FrakesFace

Yeah, did an umpteenth playthrough recently. I keep trying to deviate but I keep doing the same thing. Make a warrior character, get the Knights of the Nine set as fast as possible, blow through the main quest at an an early level so I don't have to deal with Spider daedra, then do whatever from there.  

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Stahlbrand

Yeah, I started a new character and dumped all the high-end mods I had into it (QTP3, better cities, etc) to see how good Oblivion could look at its best (the computer I have now could pick its teeth with the computer I had when I played Oblivion the first time).

I played for 30 hours over the course of a week or so and had a great time (full mage, wandering and doing the Arcane University quests). I got distracted with other games and didn't do the MQ, but I've done it all so many times. God I love the soundtrack and just wandering...

Here are some screens (I think you can click to full 1920x1080 them). When I think back to what Oblivion looked like the first time I played it (at 1024x768, moderate settings, low performance) I have to give credit to their engine - it may run poorly and be very inefficent, but it is extendable and scale-able is the best tradition of PC graphics.

BEHOLD THE POWER OF MODS (and a brute-force computer setup):

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By veektarius

I'm pretty sure I'm done with Oblivion, even though I bought the expansion without playing it.  Combat is just a drag in that game if you're fighting anything other than humanoids.  I like fighting those, though.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By skrutop

Whenever I get the itch to play Oblivion again, I pull up my beggar mage character (sack cloth pants, huntsman vest, sack cloth sandals, brass rings, bronze amulet, wrist irons all enchanted with fortify magicka or fire shield) and start kicking the hell out of everyone until I'm sated.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By armaan8014

yeah me too! 

@Stahlbrand
    Mods? Yes me too! :D

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Oblivion without mods is like Oblivion without Mudcrabs
    Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Stahlbrand

@armaan8014: Aw yeah.

You look at what you can squeeze out of Oblivion, and you just have to wonder how much Skyrim will be visually improved after a few years of modding and new video cards. I mean it looks good now, even if they've only shown 360 rendering, so I imagine the out-of-the-box PC visuals will be pretty good.

Chronopolian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chronopolian

I´m not gonna start a NEW playthough of Oblivion... I´m gonna start playing it for real/first time. Even though I´ve owned it since 2006 when I bought my 360 I never got into it for sevaral reasons... (being a perfectionist and considering that getting all the skills to 100 would be an annoying task due to the leveling system is the most important one) so I might give it a try now.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Brendan

I did, and I played for 27 hours. I then became a vampire by accident and quit because I didn't feel like going through the shitty process of getting rid of it.

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Helimocopter

to be entirely honest, i don't see the difference between oblivion with or without mods, maybe a side by side would be more useful, but meh

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Chummy8

Actually I have this urge to play Morrowind.  But you probably haven't heard of it before. 

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, I started the Mehrunes' Dagger DLC. Pretty sure it's the last thing left in that game I haven't seen. 

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MeierTheRed

I clocked over 300+ hours of he 360 version back when it came out, so i think i had enough Oblivion.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By captain_clayman

i have actually never played oblivion because only recently have i had a  decent enough computer to play it and everything i heard about the game is that it's better on PC. 
    which it is.  so i'm working on getting a bunch of mods working right so the graphics are tolerable so i can play it and enjoy it and further hype myself up for skyrim :D

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By AuthenticM

I am buying a bomb this summer. I will be playing both Morrowind and Oblivion with lots of mods.

grahf14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By grahf14

I'm going to start a new playthrough this evening.  I think Im going to play as a Nord Warrior and just focus purely on battle skills.  The first time I went through it I I focused on a lot of other stuff, so when I was like level 15 stuff was just kicking the crap out of me because of the level scaling...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Seppli

I never completed Oblivion. Stopped my first playthrough at launch when I ran out of arrows as playing as an archer/rogue-type. It was way too hard to obtain a sufficient amount of arrows. Was pretty pissed about that.

Attempted a couple of other playthroughs over the years, but it never really worked for me. I always am fascinated by Elder Scrolls games' premise and promises, but they're never quite fun enough. The moment to moment gameplay always feels kinda crippled at first. I hate that school of design. Fallout on the other hand worked for me. Because of VATS and guns.

Hopefully Skyrim does a better job at melee combat and combat in general. Something more entertaining and functional from the get-go.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Franstone

I got turned into a Vampire and was never powerful enough to get the cure...
    Then I got distracted by other games and never finished it.
    I should probably try again. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By FancySoapsMan

No, but I might play some Morrowind instead.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By beforet

Yep, started installing whole bunch of mods again. Not sure if I'll play it, but the modding itself is most of the fun anyway.

Also, to anyone new to modding, this guidehas been a huge help in making huge changes without accidentally breaking the game. Which is pretty easy to do.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Getz

@Brendan said:

I did, and I played for 27 hours. I then became a vampire by accident and quit because I didn't feel like going through the shitty process of getting rid of it.

for the low price of two dollars, you can buy an add-on that lets you cure vampirism easily. Plus you know, other stuff

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Brendan said:

There are some mods that make curing vampirism as simple as drinking an added potion, but I'd recommend one of the deeper mods (like Blood is Everything) that make it less of a chore and more of an integral gameplay "thing".
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Level scaling, i cringe every time i think of Oblivion because of level scaling...
    Hopefully it will be removed from Skyrim or at least heavily altered.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By A Likely Story

On Oblivion? No, but I do have an urge to play through Morrowind, which, don't hate me for it, I never did complete.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By bioblood22

Um seeing as my Oblivion disc is cracked and I've never gotten around to getting  a new disc I won't be making a trip back to Oblivion anytime soon.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sreya92
    @Stahlbrand:  
    o_O dude that looks like a different game. And to keep on topic. I tried it but I realized I've essentially burnt myself out on console Oblivion

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.